• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

zoukka

One thing I really didn't like in DoWII was the decreased unit count and the removal of synchronized kill animations on every melee kill.

Actually DoWII did have sync kills but they only happened about 2/10s of the time and presented an issue when you were chasing down enemies with melee and getting tangled up because of a chance sync kill where this wasn't really an issue in DoWI as everyone had them.

If we ever do get a DoWIII I'd like it if they could bring back the increased unit count and the sync kills that made melee combat really fun to watch.

The game is more balanced than DoW1 though. And you do get plenty of sync kills in every match.

Karakand

‘No!’ roared the Khan, long-burning anger suddenly bursting free. ‘I will not take direction from anyone, not even from a Throneworld that only now, now that its Legions are tearing one another to pieces, deigns to remember that it has eighteen warrior-sons at its service!’

I liked Perturabo too.

zoukka

Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed DoWII very much. You are right though when it comes to balance and the multiplayer in general did feel more "tactical".

Yeah if anything, I think in DoW2 you truly feel badass when you can divert a whole army with just tactical marines and good usage of cover. It might not be true to 40k lore, but it's the most satisfying game you'll get from this universe.

Hex

Banned
Just starting to get into this after being on the outskirts for many many many years but never getting involved.
Went to a demo on Saturday and did a 400 pt skirmish.
Going to buy my first pieces of my own this weekend.

Just starting to get into this after being on the outskirts for many many many years but never getting involved.
What army are you going with?

Meteorain

WHAT ARMY?!?!?!?

Hex

Banned
What army are you going with?

I was going to go Space Wolves, but have decided on Eldar I think because I do not see alot of them around here.
But will probably end up getting the Dark Vengeance box so I can start learning and split it with my GF until I can afford to start putting together my own.
Although I think I found a decent price on the Eldar Battleforce.

Meteorain

I was going to go Space Wolves, but have decided on Eldar I think because I do not see alot of them around here.
But will probably end up getting the Dark Vengeance box so I can start learning and split it with my GF until I can afford to start putting together my own.

Good man.

Shoutouts to wave serpent being one of the best transports in the book/game and GW just magically stops selling them separately

My first army was Space Wolves so I think you should have gone with your first instinct. ;)

Eldar are really good though. One of those armies I've repeatedly considered starting, but have never actually started.

Always nice to see more Xenos players.

I feel wrong for saying that with my Deathwatch avatar, lol.

Karakand

Always nice to see more Xenos players.

I feel wrong for saying that with my Deathwatch avatar, lol.

44P3ohk.png

Leunam

Dude's lucky he had enough Kroot to pull that off. Maybe he's got Pathfinders and Stealth Suits in there as well.

Jarate

Banned
What armies do people run, I run Orks and Space Wolves

Unfortunately, im pretty sure none of the kids at my college play due to the price. Havent played 40k for a while

In order of acquisition:
Space Wolves
Tyranids
Sisters of Battle
Salamamders
Imperial Guard
Orks

Percent I've painted? About 1%...

Jarate

Banned
In order of acquisition:
Space Wolves
Tyranids
Sisters of Battle
Salamamders
Imperial Guard
Orks

Percent I've painted? About 1%...

Ive been meaning to paint my models, but Orks, there's just too damn many, and the base paint i used for my spacewolves sucks so i gotta simple green then

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
What armies do people run, I run Orks and Space Wolves

Unfortunately, im pretty sure none of the kids at my college play due to the price. Havent played 40k for a while

Ultramarines [~7500]
Imperial Guard [~7000]
Necrons [~2000]
Sisters & Inquisition [~2000]

All painted (badly). The points can go up a lot depending on wargear. The Sob and Inquisition were only there as allies so they haven't seen any use in years.

Eldar - about 12000pts
Blood Angels - around 10000 pts

Various misc minis from every army from the 80's to now

Sisters of Battle - 2-3 squads unpainted
Imperial Guard - not many- painted as genestealer cultists
Tyranids - probably around 2000pts

For Necromunda I have most of the Gangs (about 10-12?). I have a single Necron that was used as a Terminator in some custom scenerios. Only 2-3 of the gangs are painted. I have most of the secondary characters for this too, like bounty hunters ect.

For Blood Bowl I have 5 teams, all painted.

Meteorain

Oh wow. I think I could push out about 2500 ~ 3000pts if I tried on my entire BA army. Damn some of you guys invested mad money.

Oh wow. I think I could push out about 2500 ~ 3000pts if I tried on my entire BA army. Damn some of you guys invested mad money.

The majority of my stuff was bought when stuff didn't cost an arm and a leg. A gang for Necromunda was 20-25$, tops. Eldar jetbikes were less than 10$ each. Charactr models were 7-10$.

Thise days are long gone now!

Yeah, I've been collecting for 20 years now. Some of my genestealers for my tyranid army, for instance, are from the original Space Hulk box set. Some of my terminators too, now that I think of it, are the only one piece figures.

Would love to see pics of your collection Eskimo.

Most of my IG army is actually made up of Necromunda Escher figures. They were bought back when Sisters of Battle were Witchhunters and I could induct Guard.

Hex

Banned
The thing is while it looks intimidating to get into, it really does not have to be..
Third party online stores (and many locals I am sure) sell the products for a good bit lower than Games Workshop Prices. (Miniature Market is my current, but always open to others, and my local shop can not match them but comes close and I will support them for smaller things too)

My first (lol and only battle so far) was a 400 pt skirmish (using the guy who was running it's Nekrons vs Imperial, I won with Nekron) and it was alot of fun, will probably stick with those as I learn the timings and abilities better, maybe inch things up as I get my own pieces and know more.
But the thing is you do not have to have a huge army to get in and get started and enjoy it.

Jarate

Banned
Also, ebay is your best friend for large amount of models. They are painted, the cheaper the deals

I got my entire space wolves army (3000 points) dice, 6th edition rulebook, 2 of the plastic games workshop cases, and some sand and paints for around 400$

Meteorain

I think I started collecting when I was about 11/12....so in about 1999. I had a few years of "relative" cheapness before they started hiking up the prices. Luckily I had a good core of my army.

To this day though, I do not have a single dreadnought :(

The thing is while it looks intimidating to get into, it really does not have to be..
Third party online stores (and many locals I am sure) sell the products for a good bit lower than Games Workshop Prices. (Miniature Market is my current, but always open to others, and my local shop can not match them but comes close and I will support them for smaller things too)

My first (lol and only battle so far) was a 400 pt skirmish (using the guy who was running it's Nekrons vs Imperial, I won with Nekron) and it was alot of fun, will probably stick with those as I learn the timings and abilities better, maybe inch things up as I get my own pieces and know more.
But the thing is you do not have to have a huge army to get in and get started and enjoy it.

You should look around the lore/codices and read up on battle reports (usually online/ White Dwarf) and see how different armies play. That way you can start on a army that would fit your style of play.

I mean, Space Marines can cover any type of play style mostly.....but there are plenty of us out there, you may want something different!

GWS's lack of 40k merchandise is down right criminal. My wife's birthday is coming up and she loves the Thousand Sons and of course anything Tzeentch related. I tried to find one of those Warhammer Online Raven Host Steins but those are long since gone. Anyone have any suggestions? She's not big on the table top game, but has nearly all the novels.

Hex

Banned
I think I started collecting when I was about 11/12....so in about 1999. I had a few years of "relative" cheapness before they started hiking up the prices. Luckily I had a good core of my army.

To this day though, I do not have a single dreadnought :(

You should look around the lore/codices and read up on battle reports (usually online/ White Dwarf) and see how different armies play. That way you can start on a army that would fit your style of play.

I mean, Space Marines can cover any type of play style mostly.....but there are plenty of us out there, you may want something different!

Reading through the Eldar codex now, watching battle reports on youtube and reading through some forums when time permits (weeding through to find the better ones), you are definitely on the mark.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
If you are starting an army, always do what you will enjoy building and painting. The imagery behind an army is the most important motivator, in my opinion. Me, I like Vikings, so Space Wolves it was. However none of those silly werewolfy heads for me - marauder horsemen heads instead. If you don't like what you are painting and building, you will never get around to it and thus will miss out on important parts of the hobby. Plus there is nothing quite like two fully painted armies facing off against each other.

My pro-painting tip: good bases make an average paint scheme look fantastic. Invest in some cork, good static grasses and tufts (depending on the scheme you are going for). Snow is almost never a good idea.

Yeah, I've been collecting for 20 years now. Some of my genestealers for my tyranid army, for instance, are from the original Space Hulk box set. Some of my terminators too, now that I think of it, are the only one piece figures.

Would love to see pics of your collection Eskimo.

Most of my IG army is actually made up of Necromunda Escher figures. They were bought back when Sisters of Battle were Witchhunters and I could induct Guard.

Most of my stuff is unpainted in boxes unfortunately. I'm working on Dread Fleet right now and I will post pics here as I complete them (even though it's not 40k!).

Next up is Eldar though.

obin_gam

THH III - Galaxy in Flames was everything a third part in a trilogy has proven to be. Bigger, bolder, more actiony, and not quite as good as the previous one. Warmaster Horus has decided that the Emperor of Mankind needs to go, and those regiments which he dont trust will follow him on this mission he has sent down to the planet Isstvan 3 on a ruse mission. The plan is to exterminate them, and the rest of the entire book is basically one big battle... and in the end it gets quite tiresome.

All in all, this trilogy was a well worth read. Fantastic setting and characters even if the story gets a little repetitive at some points. Hugely recomended!

Now, on to The Flight of the Eisenstein!

Karakand

The Ultramarine omnibus isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. The Dark Eldar captain is hilarious, he was flayed by Vect but his skin was returned to him upon release so it's constantly falling off. GRIM.

Aside: I always get giddy when I see "mon-keigh" in print, it's like a lexical reminder that 40K can never get too serious about itself. Same for hearing it in audio, I guess. God-Emperor help us if they ever figure out a more professional orthography for that one.

Jinaar

Any must see WH40K or Games Workshop stores as must see in Brussels/Munich/Prague? On a little vacation and would hate to miss an opportunity to go into a fun shop and see something unique. Any thoughts? Cheers!

I wanted a new page. Sue me.

Here are some of my old Blood Angel Terminators. I played these old metal guys in Space Hulk. They are 10+ years old except for the Captain conversion I was working on, so that would've put my around age 28-25ish. Anyway, they are in various states of incomplete. I can tell I was production line painting because not a single mini is complete. They are in various stages of highlighting and even assembly. I'll blame nostalgia though because I think they look pretty good, all things considered.

I had planned out:

1 Captain (converted into crazyland. Thunder Hammer/Storm Sheild and a wrist mounted Storm Bolter, lol. At least he looks bad-ass!)
2 Sergeants
1 Chaplin
1 Librarian
3 Storm Bolters
2 Storm Hammers
2 Lightening Claws
1 Flamer

More Incomplete:
1 Assault Cannon
2 Cyclone Missle Launchers
2 Storm Bolters

I guess I could clean these guys up a bit, apply transfers, base them, and finish them off sometime. The models are dated but they still look good and have plenty of character.

Pic bomb incoming. Remember, these are old so don't be too harsh on me.

daedalius

How did I not know about this OT.

Been a huge 40k fan for several years, several armies, 2 local tournament best general medals, Space Marine/DoW player (DoW1 was what got me looking into 40k in the first place), I also do art for Fantasy Flight :) (Dark Heresy, Deathwatch, etc). My picture painting skills are far better than my model painting skills!

Top Bottom