• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

daedalius

Reading it currently, just finished "Grey Knights". I was pleasantly surprised given this thread's (or more specifically that one post's) chilly reception to him. All the characters are samey, as can be expected, but there's a couple twists I legitimately didn't see coming.

I think the first Grey Knights book by Ben was the first 40k book I ever read. I enjoyed all 3 of them.

Wonder if that's why I still play GK...

Tacitus_

I, uh, noticed that the turret mounted bolter for my rhino gunner has a bayonet. I wonder how they intend to melee with that.

CTLance

It's amazing what some people can achieve with a bit of paint and a bunch of plastic. Those GD models look gorgeous. Impractical for sure (who would ever want to play with those pretties, they could get damaged!), but very easy on the eyes. Somehow missed them the first time around, thanks for quoting, Frankie.

Obligatory Comissar:
D9mbUF2.jpg

Leunam

Finalized my Chaplain last night. Wasn't happy with the results I was getting with my conversions so I just bought the jump pack Chaplain and made some small changes to him: head swap, different jump pack, a few added bits.

N92lfkf.png

Picked up the new space marine codex, a razorback and a librarian for my wife's birthday. She was most ecstatic but now is eagerly waiting for me to paint them. I still have 16 more slugga boyz, a war boss, her terminators and dreadnoughts in my queue. Once you get a few painted well it's just impossible to play unpainted models.

Meteorain

Picked up the new space marine codex, a razorback and a librarian for my wife's birthday. She was most ecstatic but now is eagerly waiting for me to paint them. I still have 16 more slugga boyz, a war boss, her terminators and dreadnoughts in my queue. Once you get a few painted well it's just impossible to play unpainted models.

You're gonna be bankrupt.

Started Space Marine a couple nights ago, just got out of the sewer area.

It's a lot of fun so far. Only real complaint I have is that there's little enemy and environment variety. Also I feel like they could have done more with the setting. I expected some in-depth lore snippets from the audio logs but so far they're pretty lacking. I feel like they put the game on a Forge World specifically to excuse the bland factory corridors.

That said, it sure as hell makes you feel like a badass Space Marine, and I suppose that's the main thing it set out to do. There's a framework for greatness here that I don't think they fully utilized. I've only played for a couple hours though, so who knows how my opinion will change.

As an aside, I found myself getting stuck in the same place that notorious rage video on Youtube got stuck, with the mounted turret on the train. It took me about a dozen deaths to realize that "tear off" meant literally that, and wasn't a way of disengaging the turret. Made me feel stupid as hell when I was done.

daedalius

It's a lot of fun so far. Only real complaint I have is that there's little enemy and environment variety. Also I feel like they could have done more with the setting. I expected some in-depth lore snippets from the audio logs but so far they're pretty lacking. I feel like they put the game on a Forge World specifically to excuse the bland factory corridors.

That said, it sure as hell makes you feel like a badass Space Marine, and I suppose that's the main thing it set out to do. There's a framework for greatness here that I don't think they fully utilized. I've only played for a couple hours though, so who knows how my opinion will change.

As an aside, I found myself getting stuck in the same place that notorious rage video on Youtube got stuck, with the mounted turret on the train. It took me about a dozen deaths to realize that "tear off" meant literally that, and wasn't a way of disengaging the turret. Made me feel stupid as hell when I was done.

Really loved Space Marine, but yes I agree it would have been nice to see more environment and enemy variety.

I can only hope we will see another one someday, I don't even know if Relic has the 40k license anymore!

Karakand

I've liked Lorgar in Butcher's Nails and Know No Fear ((dark) god(s) tier backstabber), does he get a starring role HH thing that's pretty good? I don't really want to deal with Erebus very much if possible.

It's on a forge world because the MacGuffin is a
dangerous weapons project
. I don't think research on those happens anywhere else per the terms of the Treaty of Olympus.

I wish there had been some Skitarii in the game (they mention them in the audio logs), it felt kind of weird to be on a still populated forge world and not interact with any adepts of the Mechanicum.

Tacitus_

I wish there had been some Skitarii in the game (they mention them in the audio logs), it felt kind of weird to be on a still populated forge world and not interact with any adepts of the Mechanicum.

"Stuck on a Forge World and not a bloody tech priest in sight! Bring me the field manual!"

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The Sisters are back. It is a digital codex coming out on the 19th of this month. Looks the White Dwarf codex updated for 6th edition.

It doesn't sound like there are any new miniatures planned for this release, and along with it being digital-only it doesn't sound like they're planning on even pushing the existing line too hard.

The Sisters of Battle have been stuck in sort of a weird support limbo for ages, and I've been hoping they'd get revisited and receive a proper revamp the way the Dark Eldar did after being stuck in a similar predicament. But it looks more like they're content to keep them sort of limping along Chaos Dwarf-style instead.

Seems like a bit of a waste.

During a Gamesday years ago Jes complained that he was having a real hard time sculptin multipose plastics with flowing robes and making it look natural. So we know they are being worked on. It's just going to take a long time like with the Necrons and DE. Thankfully now that those two ranges have had a complete overhaul the studio should be able to focus more on the sisters.

obin_gam

I finished Descent of Angels last week and while it was very slow I actually liked the pace and the feeling it had. Dont see why it gets so much flack.

Fulgrim is in total 15 hours and I'm 10 into it now, while it is more fun and humorous than any other previous books it was so un-interesting that I fell alseep several times on my commutes listening to it. It was only after they met the
Eldars
that stuff actually started to feel interesting, and only now when they are with
Horus' fleet
it feels like a good book. Cant wait til it's over though and I can move on to the next :p

Also, today I'm going into the city to buy a Dark Angels squad to paint. I used to paint miniatures back in the day as mental recovery from the stress of college and jobs, and it's been a while now so I have gotten the urge to continue the therapy sessions sotospeak. Thinking also of picking up the Dark Angels codex, it looks quite awesome!

A couple of hours later EDIT:
5vNi9GG.jpg

There we go, now I just need to come up with a good paint scheme

cj_iwakura

The Sisters are back. It is a digital codex coming out on the 19th of this month. Looks the White Dwarf codex updated for 6th edition.

Shame, I'd get a hard copy of that.
unless it was as expensive as all those other books, yeesh. At least White Wolf's are hardcover.

Karakand

The First Heretic by Aaron Dembski-Bowden is the fourteenth novel in the Horus Heresy Series. The novel spans many decades, charting the heresy of the Word Bearers legion, leading to their participation in the Isstvan V dropsite massacre.

MKXwdqZ.jpg

...and of course it has no Black Library audio version! Good thing I can buy Outcast "Never going to listen to this fucking shit" Dead though.

--------------

lmao this cover.

3mgC3cd.jpg

My body is ready for more Abnett-penned Reboot Gorillaman adulation.

Enosh

watched the promo for the next episode of sleepy hollow and what do i see

it all makes sense now, the show isn't about some biblical prophecy, it's about a chaos cult summoning demons on earth!
last episode the emperor shows up

It's a lot of fun so far. Only real complaint I have is that there's little enemy and environment variety. Also I feel like they could have done more with the setting. I expected some in-depth lore snippets from the audio logs but so far they're pretty lacking. I feel like they put the game on a Forge World specifically to excuse the bland factory corridors..
the one thing i hated about Space Marine is that for all of relics talk about "lolz space marines don't take cover silly" the latter enemies have such strong ranged attacks that you need to camp in cover or get shoot to oblivion
try charging into melee before you killed most of them and yo won't make it to the first guy

The only thing that really bothered me was the lascannon getting turned into a sniper rifle. I can go along with everything else they did to make the game the way they did. It was a pretty fun game IMO.

Multiplayer was pretty amazing too.

watched the promo for the next episode of sleepy hollow and what do i see

it all makes sense now, the show isn't about some biblical prophecy, it's about a chaos cult summoning demons on earth!
last episode the emperor shows up

the one thing i hated about Space Marine is that for all of relics talk about "lolz space marines don't take cover silly" the latter enemies have such strong ranged attacks that you need to camp in cover or get shoot to oblivion
try charging into melee before you killed most of them and yo won't make it to the first guy

Yep, I had to figure that lesson out for myself. One of the big selling points to me was how you're this terrifying juggarnaut that can wade into the fray and emerge unharmed with a bit of skill, but no amount of skill can make up for those dozens of rocket Orks firing on you from high cover. I love it..."You won't be needing any cover, but...we're gonna throw a bit of cover in, just to be safe...not saying you'll need it, but...you'll need it."

About that Chaos symbol, I was of the impression that they lifted it from Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. Moorcock sort of pioneered the whole "law versus chaos" trope, even predates D&D. Is anyone aware of the Chaos symbol being used any earlier than Moorcock's first use of it?

Meteorain

I dunno how you guys played Space Marine, but I never really hid behind cover.

Even that crazy bit where there's 100s of Orks shooting at you in the passage caved in tunnels, I just flew about on my jump pack and stomped their shit in. I also slapped down those 'Ard Boyz in 1 on 1's. Albeit it later on
on the landing strip nearer the end
I ran from cover to cover, but never camped. Space Marines don't do hunkering down like a bitch.

The only thing missing from the game was being able to spit acid and melt some fool's face off.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
During a Gamesday years ago Jes complained that he was having a real hard time sculptin multipose plastics with flowing robes and making it look natural. So we know they are being worked on. It's just going to take a long time like with the Necrons and DE. Thankfully now that those two ranges have had a complete overhaul the studio should be able to focus more on the sisters.

The rumors of new sculpts for the Sisters that can be cast in plastic have been going around for so long that I pretty much refuse to believe in them anymore until I see them available for order. The rumors have always been that the new models are more nun-ish, with sort of battle habits over their power armor and veils and such on the non-helmeted models.

Maybe this time they'll actually come out. The current line is more than 15 years old at this point and is the only all-metal range Games Workshop still makes. They gotta give them an overhaul someday, but with a digital-only codex I'm a bit concerned that today is not going to be that day. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, of course, but I'm skeptical of the Sisters escaping the Games Workshop legacy support limbo just yet.

Interesting that they're apparently going back to referring to them as the Adepta Sororitas instead of the Sisters of Battle, though. They've even changed the name on the website, though they didn't bother to fix their placement in the alphabetically sorted navigation as a result.

obin_gam

I took this little dude as a paint tester. This is what I have come up with as a scheme for ordinary Dark Angels astartes:
Caliban Green armour, Gehenna's Gold on the legion logo and chesteagle, and Wazdakka Red for the eyes.

I dont relly know how to proceed though, I think I'm gonna keep the chest eagle and logo as gold (I want them to feel like knights of old), but I dont know about the other shoulder pad. I have tried so many things but I just cant get satisified, so I'm thinking of just reverting back to the ordinary Dark Angels default paint scheme :( You have any suggestions that I can add or detract from this current scheme?

obin_gam

now that you mention it, they do! Ah well, I modified them a bit, so now I have three basic schemes to choose from:
I just cant seem to decide, want some sort of metal in the scheme, just dont know if it should be gold or boltgun.
Which one of these should I continue on from Gaf?

Leunam

Cross posting from the mini-wargaming thread:

Captain Cato Sicarius, for my Ultramarines 2nd Company:

kquX04s.png

Loved this mini since it came out years ago, but I never cared for the banner that he normally carries on his back. I lopped it off, but I may paint it eventually and stick it back on. For now, it's going into storage.

Priming with the Macragge Blue spray can makes this a lot quicker to paint, but it can really exaggerate places where I didn't paint, like on the sides of the skull emblem on the shoulder pad.

Regardless, I'm happy with how he turned out despite some clean up that is still required. Questions or comments welcome, as always.

About that Chaos symbol, I was of the impression that they lifted it from Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga. Moorcock sort of pioneered the whole "law versus chaos" trope, even predates D&D. Is anyone aware of the Chaos symbol being used any earlier than Moorcock's first use of it?

According to The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols, the Chaos Wheel was first designed and used by Michael Moorcock in science fiction but has been adopted as an emblem by exponents of chaos magic, the contemporary branch of magic inspired by the works of Austin Osman Spare.

First off, nice pull! That's wonderfully obscure.

Secondly, Moorcock is perhaps the most unfortunate last name in the history of forever. It should be the name of the next Bond fem fatale.

Finally, every single one of the Elemental Encyclopedias are amazing. I think I'll make a thread dedicated to them later.

daedalius

I mean, the needing no cover in Space Marine was just marketing PR.

In every shooter you occasionally will need to get into cover... Space Marines take cover all the time in Dawn of War 2 (and novels)!

According to The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols, the Chaos Wheel was first designed and used by Michael Moorcock in science fiction but has been adopted as an emblem by exponents of chaos magic, the contemporary branch of magic inspired by the works of Austin Osman Spare.

First off, nice pull! That's wonderfully obscure.

Secondly, Moorcock is perhaps the most unfortunate last name in the history of forever. It should be the name of the next Bond fem fatale.

Finally, every single one of the Elemental Encyclopedias are amazing. I think I'll make a thread dedicated to them later.

Thanks, I was a huge fan of Moorcock and Elric long before getting interested in 40k. I highly recommend his work to anyone interested in the philosophical themes present in 40k. I'll keep an eye out for that symbols thread - sounds fascinating.

obin_gam

There finally, Fulgrim is all done! The Isstvan V and following ending sequence was great, but the lead up to it was really uninteresting and it felt like a chore going through it. The best thing about the book is that, as the title would suggest, you really get to enjoy Fulgrim as a character and you start caring about him, which makes
his fate all the more tragic.
And the sub plot with the artist was kinda neat :)

Since the next three novels doesnt exist on audiobook I jumped to Fallen Angels - more Dark Angels slow burn - and that book started out very good with a mystery set up as to why some Calibanites were sent back home from the expedition with The Lion. Infinitely more interesting than Fulgrims start!

Hex

Banned
Slow learning painting, but getting there.
Just getting the smooth look is my biggest peeve at the moment to the base coat.
I think it is perfect, let it dry and then do my wash and let it dry but then when I look at it under good lighting it looks like I can still see the primer.
(Though maybe the Nuln oil?) Are you supposed to further cut the GW washes?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I've liked Lorgar in Butcher's Nails and Know No Fear ((dark) god(s) tier backstabber), does he get a starring role HH thing that's pretty good? I don't really want to deal with Erebus very much if possible.

It appears you've already found out about The First Heretic, but it has semi-sequels in Aurelian (no ebook or audio version that I know of) and Betrayer that feature Lorgar. I can only hope if there's an audio version of Betrayer it keeps Kharn's quasi-spanish accent.

What the fuck was up with that Space Marine ending.

Nothing more annoying than a dev assuming they'll get a sequel, which in turn gives them license to end otherwise awesome games on shitty cliffhangers.

Great game, though. That last wave of enemies was hectic as hell. Had me rolling like it was Dark Souls.

Tacitus_

Nothing more annoying than a dev assuming they'll get a sequel, which in turn gives them license to end otherwise awesome games on shitty cliffhangers.

Great game, though. That last wave of enemies was hectic as hell. Had me rolling like it was Dark Souls.

Eh, it wasn't that bad. The main plot was solved and you were left with a small mystery.

Got into a small spat with my wife over that ending,
she had just finished reading the Ravenor books so she was like "referring him to the inquisition was the right move."
I wasn't having it, but in the end we agreed it was an ending consistent with the 40k universe and the QTE boss battle sucked.

Meteorain

Got into a small spat with my wife over that ending,
she had just finished reading the Ravenor books so she was like "referring him to the inquisition was the right move."
I wasn't having it, but in the end we agreed it was an ending consistent with the 40k universe and the QTE boss battle sucked.

Nothing should ever be
referred to the Inquisition
. Their only response to anything is to kill/destroy/nuke it.

MrKaepora

Nothing should ever be
referred to the Inquisition
. Their only response to anything is to kill/destroy/nuke it.

Isn't that the only point of this universe?

Speaking of Inquisition, just finished Grey Knights and I'm moving now to Dark Adeptus. I loved Grey Knights, really great secondary characters like Ligeia, and a beautiful conspiracy plot written by Ben Counter. Alaric, the main character is starting to grow on me.

Read two or three chapters of Dark Adeptus, and it seems to be more combat and "let's smash shit for the Emperor" than Grey Knights, but will see how it goes.

A plus for the well written secondary characters of Ben Counter. They really add to the story instead of just being there while all the focus goes to the Astartes.

Meteorain

It would be better if the Imperium learned not to be such Xenophobic morons! There's nothing wrong with making friends with the Eldar and Tau.

Goddamn fucking Emperor and his infinite hatred of non-humans.

Karakand

It appears you've already found out about The First Heretic, but it has semi-sequels in Aurelian (no ebook or audio version that I know of) and Betrayer that feature Lorgar. I can only hope if there's an audio version of Betrayer it keeps Kharn's quasi-spanish accent.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if Betrayer takes place after Butcher's Nails? I think they were on their way to Terra in that but the blurb for Betrayer sounds like it's taken place after Lorgar's betrayal of Angron in Nail's.

RE Kharn: I think that's his audio "brand" now, Chosen of Khorne (which is fantastic, BTW) uses it as well. It was fanservicey as heck, but I was busting up at the fact that he was appealed to as a calm voice of reason in Butcher's Nails.

It would be better if the Imperium learned not to be such Xenophobic morons! There's nothing wrong with making friends with the Eldar and Tau.

Goddamn fucking Emperor and his infinite hatred of non-humans.

Diasporex :(

Top Bottom