• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Enosh

looking at other stories the whole Armageddon thing seems more out of place than it being modus operandi

Leunam

Armageddon may have been an exception also because of Angrons attack. Such a large daemonic force probably isn't safe for the psyche.

Showaddy

Armageddon may have been an exception also because of Angrons attack. Such a large daemonic force probably isn't safe for the psyche.

Yeah a big part of the Armageddon cull was because non-marines aren't supposed to know about the Daemon Primarchs. If Armageddon wasn't such an important planet they would have just nuked the whole thing to ashes with everyone on it.

Karakand

Dan Abnett's Legion sets the framing for the Cabal-Imperium cold war, right? The Cabal is pretty prominent in The Unremembered Empire and I feel like I'm missing out a bit having not read Legion or whatever book Abnett started this thread at.

The opening of The Ascension of Balthasar charts the progress and consequences of an astropathic message sent by a
middling Chaos warband
and they're pretty horrible. Surely a daemon prince affects people more than less prominent chaos interactions, but any of it can leave lingering scars.

Leunam

Yeah just look at this guy:

Vbf1KR2.jpg

That, plus his retinue of twelve bloodthirsters, would surely put more than fear in the hearts of most men.

Karakand

"This was an oversight on our part and, as far as we know, not the beginnings of an elaborate Imperial propaganda campaign." :jnc

----

Barthusa Narek is a twist on a twist that AFAIK started with the HH series (loyalist members of traitor legions). I guess he's prominent in Vulkan Lives? Guess I'm listening to that next.

Enosh

"This was an oversight on our part and, as far as we know, not the beginnings of an elaborate Imperial propaganda campaign." :jnc
*looks at the imperial aquila at the top that's almost bigger than the whole text*

yeah right gw, we believe you ^^

So lets say an eldar gets captured by a dark eldar party and falls into the possession of a heamonculi who then turns him into an abberation but somehow hes still retained his mental faculties for whatever reason.

and then his raiding party gets slaughtered by eldar again. Would he be accepted and welcomed back into eldar society?

Leunam

If I was Eldar, my first concern would be the longevity of my people given how spread out and close to extinction we are. I'd do what I could to bring him back provided its not a risk to my craftworld. I think Eldar may be more forgiving than the imperium in that regard.

So I picked up my first 40k book at random and decided to go with Ravenor. It's kind of interesting as an inquisition book as it shows what life is like for regular people in the universe.

Where does Abnett stand from the consensus of fans as a 40k author? Is he well regarded?

So I finished the first book in the Ravenor series and I surprisingly enjoyed it. It's cool to read a inquisitor who doesn't put up with all the bullshit bureaucracy of the Imperium to get things done. Plus anything with psykers is just plain awesome.

I plan on reading the rest of the Ravenor series but has anyone read Eisenhorn? I was thinking of checking that out later as well.

So I finished the first book in the Ravenor series and I surprisingly enjoyed it. It's cool to read a inquisitor who doesn't put up with all the bullshit bureaucracy of the Imperium to get things done. Plus anything with psykers is just plain awesome.

I plan on reading the rest of the Ravenor series but has anyone read Eisenhorn? I was thinking of checking that out later as well.

I've been told to read Eisenhorn before I begin Ravenor, so I'm holding off for now. The Eisenhorn omnibus is super hard to find, in my experience.

I've been told to read Eisenhorn before I begin Ravenor, so I'm holding off for now. The Eisenhorn omnibus is super hard to find, in my experience.

I would have read Eisenhorn first but I didn't know it took place before Ravenor until I was already deep in Ravenor. I saw them both on the shelf and picked up Ravenor not knowing.

I'm kind of new into the books.

So is just gonna a third person MP shooter now? Saw some of the gameplay at the end of the vid and it looked a little rough.

Well it's not planned to be released until 2015. Like they said the jetpack didn't even have a texture so this is obviously very early stuff.

Also yeah it looks like a tps, which it is, but there is more to it. Take a look at this link to see: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/954/feature/7493/There-Is-Only-WAR.html

More stuff has been revealed since this though.

Karakand

Where does Abnett stand from the consensus of fans as a 40k author? Is he well regarded?

Probably the most reliable prose in Black Library, but it's attached to stories with extremely variable quality and structure. (Who can forget Ravenor's 2 chapter
time travel
subplot?) He also pretty much never writes about aliens, even when writing about members of the Ordo Xenos.

I prefer Aaron Dembski-Bowden's pondering and crafted set pieces, even if he thinks highly of Lord Failbaddon.

SPEAKING OF ABNETT, the Unremembered Empire goes from "Rowboat Grillaman in the Garden of Gethsemane" to Mark Millar's Nemesis and it manages to stay fun, possibly even getting better while a poorly written Evil Batman terrorizes Macragge. Too bad the Cabal and Perpetual stuff does not stay strong. Word of warning: it's a semi or full sequel to at least 6--probably more--Horus Heresy stories, not all of which were written by Abnett.

So I picked up two more books a few days ago. Picked up Grey Knights and Dark Adeptus. Finished GK and I really liked it, had a great sense of action as well some really cool plot twists. Counter did a great job writing it.

Starting Dark Adeptus with high hopes coming off of GK.

edit: Can anyone recommend any Imperial Guard books? I'm of kind of interested in getting into one but they all look sort of similar.

Hex

Banned
My LGS made me an offer that I could not refuse on this so my Space Wolves that I have been slowly building have some friends.
Oddly Eldar were my first choice for an army when a Space Wolf lot fell into my lap.

(X posting from the MTG thread: Just throwing this out there since gamers sometimes have mixed interest.
If anyone has any Warhammer 40k stuff they do not use anymore I have two sealed Mind Seize decks I am looking to trade for 40k stuff I can use.
(Yes I went from one crack to another.)
I picked up a 4 set of the decks with a flash of thinking of getting back in and but then remembered very quickly that this is a bad thing, so kept one for EDH and traded one already so I have two left sealed. )

Karakand

So I was finishing up the Ultramarines omnibus over the holiday break, Space Marine really aped a lot from it so if you're bummed Relic couldn't finish that disaster of a saga scope it out.

The Omphalos Daemonium in Dead Sky, Black Sun is amazing. Pretty much all the Chaos stuff is, actually, but its dialog is up there with Araghast the Pillager.

So I was finishing up the Ultramarines omnibus over the holiday break, Space Marine really aped a lot from it so if you're bummed Relic couldn't finish that disaster of a saga scope it out.

The Omphalos Daemonium in Dead Sky, Black Sun is amazing. Pretty much all the Chaos stuff is, actually, but its dialog is up there with Araghast the Pillager.

I'll have to check it out man, I just finished Dark Adeptus which I found pretty entertaining near the end. I thought it had a slow start but ended up liking it.

I still get bummed out that the Space Marine trilogy won't be finished and that Dawn of War 3 is basically up in the air. But you know oh well.

Karakand

I've only read the first omnibus (there are 2), so I can't say if it gives any closure. ;)

It does riff on the same notes, though. The protagonist is one of those "the Codex Astartes is a guide, not immutable law" types of Smurfs, one of the commanders in his company is Leandros and even narcs on the protagonist in a similar way, etc.

I'm not really sure how good it is as an introductory 40K collection (IIRC people suggest it to new readers) since Dead Sky, Black Sun is a sort-of-sequel to McNeill's Iron Warriors series. I guess if you read / listened to Angel Exterminatus from the Horus Heresy series instead you could probably manage, though
Honsou
would be less omghellyesthisbookisgonnarule.

What do you guys think of this Christmas thing GW is doing? Like small bits of rules like with chapter articles used to do? Interesting or not up for it?

Personally I don't know. On one hand it saves me from buying WD. And looks like an avenue to bring back CA. On the other hand this seems like its really up for abuse.

In other news GW is just hitting it out of the park with their recent game announcements aren't they. /s

Finsihed book #2 in the Grey Knights Omnibus, "Dark Adeptus". Thought it was really good up until it's very abrupt end.

Urkrathos and his Chaos fleet swear blood and vengeance for being deprived of the STC Titan, so they blast the Titan works into oblivion (with no one in it) and fly away...totally ignoring the crippled Imperial ship in orbit that they could have destroyed in a second if they wanted to. Very merciful of them to leave the ship containing Inquisitor Nyxos and the Knights only means of escaping the planet unmolested, especially considering the Desikratis was virtually chomping at the bit to destroy it earlier. Hmm...

Finsihed book #2 in the Grey Knights Omnibus, "Dark Adeptus". Thought it was really good up until it's very abrupt end.

Urkrathos and his Chaos fleet swear blood and vengeance for being deprived of the STC Titan, so they blast the Titan works into oblivion (with no one in it) and fly away...totally ignoring the crippled Imperial ship in orbit that they could have destroyed in a second if they wanted to. Very merciful of them to leave the ship containing Inquisitor Nyxos and the Knights only means of escaping the planet unmolested, especially considering the Desikratis was virtually chomping at the bit to destroy it earlier. Hmm...

Yeah I finished it a week or two ago as well.

Ukrathros left the Imperium alone cause he was pissed that he didn't get the tribute and wanted to get back to The Eye of Terror.

Yeah I finished it a week or two ago as well.

Ukrathros left the Imperium alone cause he was pissed that he didn't get the tribute and wanted to get back to The Eye of Terror.

Yeah, I got that part. He just seemed so mad that I was surprised he didn't take the Exemplar out on his retreat. Would have been a better target than the (empty) Titanworks considering he still could have salvaged all those other Chaos-tainted Titans. Maybe he was just blinded by rage.
Really I'm just quibbling, I did enjoy the book.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The Eisenhorn Trilogy went out with a whimper, sadly. The first two books were really good, the last was just....dumb. I don't know. None of the characters were acting like they did for centuries and they just all did really dumb things that served no purpose but to move the plot along. Not real happy with how that series ended.

I'm thinking Grey Knights next, but does that exist as an eBook?

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
What do you guys think of this Christmas thing GW is doing? Like small bits of rules like with chapter articles used to do? Interesting or not up for it?

Personally I don't know. On one hand it saves me from buying WD. And looks like an avenue to bring back CA. On the other hand this seems like its really up for abuse.

In other news GW is just hitting it out of the park with their recent game announcements aren't they. /s

It will be interesting to see where they go with it, it does remind of the old White Dwarf rules articles we used to get. It looks like Cypher is the Christmass day release, that will make a lot of people happy.

Karakand

None of the characters were acting like they did for centuries and they just all did really dumb things that served no purpose but to move the plot along.

THE EMOSHUN OF
EVERYONE
COMING UNDONE by
Radicalism

------

Speaking of brutal 40K reads, Vulkan Lives has been rough wire to wire and I already sort of knew what was going to happen because I listened to Unremembered Empire first. Kyme's Curze is one f*cked up rude boy.

Showaddy

The Eisenhorn Trilogy went out with a whimper, sadly. The first two books were really good, the last was just....dumb. I don't know. None of the characters were acting like they did for centuries and they just all did really dumb things that served no purpose but to move the plot along. Not real happy with how that series ended.

I'm thinking Grey Knights next, but does that exist as an eBook?

Temptations of Chaos and all that. Godwyn Fischig was consistent right to the end though (sadly).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Temptations of Chaos and all that. Godwyn Fischig was consistent right to the end though (sadly).

I get that, but the way it ended was so lame. It just stopped and then we got the montage end. Blech. Oh, and I absolutely hate when writers take their ball and go home, and this was the worst of the worst.

On a side note, the fact that Black Library is so scared of eBooks is very frustrating. I would like to give them money, but they're just not allowing it. It's good money. It buys stuff. Let me give it to you.

Top Bottom