• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

As a person who plays Dark Angels and runs a Green Wing Force what would be the best way to approach 6th Edition? Death or Ravenwing?

Also glad we have a new nid dex coming if just so that my brother will play again. Models with the exception of the meh warriors look ace.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
As a person who plays Dark Angels and runs a Green Wing Force what would be the best way to approach 6th Edition? Death or Ravenwing?

Also glad we have a new nid dex coming if just so that my brother will play again. Models with the exception of the meh warriors look ace.

From what I have seen Ravenwing are the stronger option.

Wife made me this very cool box for my painting supplies for Xmas. =)

994424_10151937589247655_693577827_n.jpg

1506976_10151937589372655_558649553_n.jpg

All done by beating it to death with a hammer, apparently. Only she could make that look artful.

Very nice! I pictured you more of a Chaos man, myself
The allure of chaos is strong, but I have the presence of mind to not want my skin to slough off or find tentacles in places that didn't have them before. =)

lifa-cobex

So a friend of mine recently introduced me to 40K and I have to say, Iv become quite obsessed with it
So I recently bought half the Dark vengeance set (Dark angles), got the codex, a veterans box set and a Land raider.
(I know it seems a bit much for a beginner but I'm really enjoying painting them.)

However I'm finding it hard to pick up the rules. My friend knows how to play but we work together so it's rare we get days off together.

Anyone know of any good sites to learn from?

Started reading the path of eldar trilogy. Pretty interesting so far, life in a normal craftworld is quite the contrast compared to the depressing Imperium.

lifa-cobex

Go watch some games at your local shop. I've always had good experiences that way.

It's a 40 min drive to my local.
Plus I have to be careful when I go in. The manager gets really excited and starts offering me deals if I spend X amount.

Started watching matches on youtube though which kinda helps.

When Stronghold and Escalation came out, and there were all these blog posts saying the game was ruined, etc., I thought "That's crazy, this is just like City Fight or Apocalypse. People who want to play with it will, tournaments and everyone else will ignore it." I didn't believe that there were these people out there trying to cram titans down everyone's throat in every friendly game and insisting that Escalation was integrated into the main rules now.

After reading some blog comments, I realize I was wrong.

Azrell, this constant whining for a 'competitive' 40K is tiresome. It is not, will never be, is not intended to be a competitive, tournament win at all costs and humiliate your 'opponent' game. It is a game of fun between friends. 

Please stop wittering on about how bad 40K is, how it should be changed, why 'tournament players' deserve better - you don't. Just play the game, think, adapt, enjoy it.

If you don't like it, play something else. personally I want to field a warhound alongside my tank company.

These giant man-children actually think a more competitive and balanced game isn't a more fun game? THAT'S A KEY COMPONENT TO A FUN GAME! Wanting some balance so that your own skill will see you through is "winning at all costs"? WHAT THE HELL? Yeah, getting tabled in one or two turns is magical, and it's all in the spirit of the fluff because super heavies and titans run around with the scouting party-sized forces that we use in 40k. That certainly won't humiliate your opponent.

"Hey coach, why does the other team get 7 strikeouts while we only get 3?"

"This is not a win-at-all-costs competitive game Timmy, where you crush your opponent. Baseball is supposed to be fun. That's why you have no chance against the other team."

So been reading Horus Heresy and just finished Flight of the Eisenstein. It started out kind of slow as the first half of the book is retelling events from Galaxy in Flames from a different perspective but it ended really well.

So was the ending the creation of the Grey Knights with the rest of Garro's 70 astartes becoming Grey Knights as well or was it the start of the Inquisition?

Started Fulgrim and it's okay so far.

AlStrong

So was the ending the creation of the Grey Knights with the rest of Garro's 70 astartes becoming Grey Knights as well or was it the start of the Inquisition?

Yeah, that's pretty much what they're going for - the origin of the Inquisition etc. These astartes would become the Grey Knights (under Ordo Malleus) later on, while the rest will somehow and at some time form the Ordo Malleus, Xenos, Hereticus.

Azih

When Stronghold and Escalation came out, and there were all these blog posts saying the game was ruined, etc., I thought "That's crazy, this is just like City Fight or Apocalypse. People who want to play with it will, tournaments and everyone else will ignore it." I didn't believe that there were these people out there trying to cram titans down everyone's throat in every friendly game and insisting that Escalation was integrated into the main rules now.

After reading some blog comments, I realize I was wrong.

These giant man-children actually think a more competitive and balanced game isn't a more fun game? THAT'S A KEY COMPONENT TO A FUN GAME! Wanting some balance so that your own skill will see you through is "winning at all costs"? WHAT THE HELL? Yeah, getting tabled in one or two turns is magical, and it's all in the spirit of the fluff because super heavies and titans run around with the scouting party-sized forces that we use in 40k. That certainly won't humiliate your opponent.

"Hey coach, why does the other team get 7 strikeouts while we only get 3?"

"This is not a win-at-all-costs competitive game Timmy, where you crush your opponent. Baseball is supposed to be fun. That's why you have no chance against the other team."
Can't tournament players ignore rules they don't like?

Leunam

Not if you're playing in a tournament.

The tourney organizers will decide what's permitted. If someone decides they don't want to play an opponent who uses Escalation I'd imagine they'd be given a loss for that round.

colt92

Neo Member
I recently finished reading all of the currently available Gaunt's Ghosts novels. Damn, I can't believe The Warmaster is still five months away. Wasn't it originally scheduled for last month?
Also, has anybody read Eisenhorn and Ravenor? What do you think about them? Any other good authors besides Abnett?

I recently finished reading all of the currently available Gaunt's Ghosts novels. Damn, I can't believe The Warmaster is still five months away. Wasn't it originally scheduled for last month?
Also, has anybody read Eisenhorn and Ravenor? What do you think about them? Any other good authors besides Abnett?

I've read Ravenor and it's pretty good, he's a pretty interesting inquisitor since he does things a bit differently. I really liked the first novel in the trilogy but haven't read the 2nd installment yet. There's some pretty fun twists in the first book as well.

I've read the first two installments in the Grey Knights series as well by Ben Counter. I would say they're a bit more on the "Space Marine" smash chaos side of things and it's not as smart as Ravenor, but both are still fun reads.

If you want to read something a bit different though I highly recommend the Path of the Eldar trilogy. In order it goes Path of the Warrior<Farseer<Outcast. It has a pretty unique perspective of everyday life for the eldar on a craftworld. I still need to finish the last book though.

Currently I'm reading Fulgrim in the Horus Heresy.

Reading Fulgrim and man

I felt bad for the Diasporex fleet, freaking space marines annihilate the entire alien/human fleet and then the Captain of the fleet psychically tells Solomon that they just wanted to be left alone. What a bunch of jerks.

I'm currently read The Death of Integrity and it's really good so far.

It follows the Nova Marines and Blood Drinkers who team up to destroy a space hulk called the Death of Integrity. The Blood Drinkers have been following it around and cleaning up after it for decades as it infests world after world then warp jumps off to an unknown destination in the blink of an eye. They finally catch up to it when it drops out of warp space next to a burning blue star. However, the Blood Drinkers are undermanned to destroy it alone, so they send out a call for assistance to any other space marines that may be a round. The Nova Marines answer the call to arms. The two chapters agree to blow it to hell from orbit, but just as they start, and Adeptus Mechanicus ship pops in and saves the hulk from destruction. They explain to the marines that they are instead to explore and salvage the ship by command of the High Lords of Terra.

What follows is a great read. The Nova Marines are a Ultra Marines Successor Chapter and Blood Drinkers are from the Blood Angels. The Chapters have never fought together. It's really fun to read how their combat doctrine and mannerisms are so different and how they struggle to learn more about each other while trying to maintain protocol. Likewise, it's just fun reading how much honor and loyalty they share even though they are also a bit wary of each other.

This book does a great job showing how fractured the Imperium really is. In this story alone you have two Space Marine Chapters and the Mechanicus itself, which has many factions within it's own ranks. It seem that everyone involved in this mission has it's own secrets and hidden agendas surrounding the hulk. The old technology is so important that even the loyalty of the Tech marines within the two Space Marines chapters seem up in the air at times.

The highlights so far have been when the Chapters met and how they negotiated with the interfering Mechanicus. While everyone is on the same side, they all hold their own self interests high over the heads of their allies. I am at a point where they are entering the hulk itself and it is just dripping with atmosphere. Space Hulk is what got me into the hobby in the 80's, so I am thrilled to read how descriptive and tension filled this boarding action has been. It's all very inspiring!

I'm currently read The Death of Integrity and it's really good so far.

It follows the Nova Marines and Blood Drinkers who team up to destroy a space hulk called the Death of Integrity. The Blood Drinkers have been following it around and cleaning up after it for decades as it infests world after world then warp jumps off to an unknown destination in the blink of an eye. They finally catch up to it when it drops out of warp space next to a burning blue star. However, the Blood Drinkers are undermanned to destroy it alone, so they send out a call for assistance to any other space marines that may be a round. The Nova Marines answer the call to arms. The two chapters agree to blow it to hell from orbit, but just as they start, and Adeptus Mechanicus ship pops in and saves the hulk from destruction. They explain to the marines that they are instead to explore and salvage the ship by command of the High Lords of Terra.

What follows is a great read. The Nova Marines are a Ultra Marines Successor Chapter and Blood Drinkers are from the Blood Angels. The Chapters have never fought together. It's really fun to read how their combat doctrine and mannerisms are so different and how they struggle to learn more about each other while trying to maintain protocol. Likewise, it's just fun reading how much honor and loyalty they share even though they are also a bit wary of each other.

This book does a great job showing how fractured the Imperium really is. In this story alone you have two Space Marine Chapters and the Mechanicus itself, which has many factions within it's own ranks. It seem that everyone involved in this mission has it's own secrets and hidden agendas surrounding the hulk. The old technology is so important that even the loyalty of the Tech marines within the two Space Marines chapters seem up in the air at times.

The highlights so far have been when the Chapters met and how they negotiated with the interfering Mechanicus. While everyone is on the same side, they all hold their own self interests high over the heads of their allies. I am at a point where they are entering the hulk itself and it is just dripping with atmosphere. Space Hulk is what got me into the hobby in the 80's, so I am thrilled to read how descriptive and tension filled this boarding action has been. It's all very inspiring!

Just wait, it gets interesting at the end. Helps to put certain things into a better light. Will explain better after you 've finished if need be

Karakand

Reading Fulgrim and man

I felt bad for the Diasporex fleet, freaking space marines annihilate the entire alien/human fleet and then the Captain of the fleet psychically tells Solomon that they just wanted to be left alone. What a bunch of jerks.

There are a lot of genocides in the Great Crusade segments of the Horus Heresy series (how grimdark so grimdark), but that one is just so frustrating because it's humanity as it is destroying humanity as it could have been. Maybe I'm coming around to #TeamCabal in my old age...

Charade

How much of the Horus Heresy book series is worth a read?

Outside of the first three which set everything up (and really, the plot hasn't advanced much after), the ones I've enjoyed the most are from Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski&#8209;Bowden. The problem is, although you could somewhat skip certain books in the beginning (since after the first three the plot branched out into several different theaters), everything is starting to get connected. So, outside of reading plot synopses and such, you have to go back and read the weaker books for some of the stronger sequels, if that makes sense.

Outside of the first three which set everything up (and really, the plot hasn't advanced much after), the ones I've enjoyed the most are from Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski&#8209;Bowden. The problem is, although you could somewhat skip certain books in the beginning (since after the first three the plot branched out into several different theaters), everything is starting to get connected. So, outside of reading plot synopses and such, you have to go back and read the weaker books for some of the stronger sequels, if that makes sense.

Always read it all. Always.

Karakand

If you read Abnett's books you also need to have a passing familiarity with the Abnettverse.

Started reading Brothers of the Snake by Abnett and I'm really enjoying it so far. One lone Iron Snake space marine is sent to aid a planets distress signal. When space marine Sergeant Priad arrives he is accompanied by one of the planets officials who knows nothing about Imperium technology or anything about the galaxy really.

There's some great moments of humor in it between the two characters .

Karakand

Just started Fire Caste, is this finally the Black Library joint with a badass commissar that actually does commissar things? *BLAM*

On an unrelated note: free to a good home LOYAL ASTARTES!!!!!!!!!

• Ultramarines omnibus vol. 1 (used)
  • Ravenor omnibus (used) claimed in the name of the God-Emperor (our undying lord)

I only ask that you (1) be in the lower 48 states and (2) swear an oath of moment not to profiteer off of Black Library's shitty print runs now or at a later date.

Just started Fire Caste, is this finally the Black Library joint with a badass commissar that actually does commissar things? *BLAM*

On an unrelated note: free to a good home LOYAL ASTARTES!!!!!!!!!

• Ultramarines omnibus vol. 1 (used)
  • Ravenor omnibus (used)

I only ask that you (1) be in the lower 48 states and (2) swear an oath of moment not to profiteer off of Black Library's shitty print runs now or at a later date.

I wouldn't mind the Ravenor omnibus please. I live in Texas and I keep all my books, I'll PM you my address if it isn't taken.

edit: I have Ravenor and finished it but I don't have the other two books. I've been wanting to finish the series for a while.

Hey guys so are there any books that follow the perspective from a dreadnought? I really love the personalities of the good ones like Ancient Rylanor in Horus Heresy and some others and would really like to read a novel from the perspective of one.

I think it would be really interesting to read about a marine that is encased in one and about his life inside of it. From most books it seems that dreadnoughts have far more interesting personalities than the space marines.

Karakand

Hey guys so are there any books that follow the perspective from a dreadnought? I really love the personalities of the good ones like Ancient Rylanor in Horus Heresy and some others and would really like to read a novel from the perspective of one.

I think it would be really interesting to read about a marine that is encased in one and about his life inside of it. From most books it seems that dreadnoughts have far more interesting personalities than the space marines.

There's a dreadnought POV character in Know No Fear, but it's not a book about him.

You get a different take on dreadnoughts in Soul Hunter, but the dreadnought isn't a POV character. (Well everyone offers their point of view on things in the First Claw series, but the story isn't told from his perspective.)

lifa-cobex

If anyone knows,

I just received an eBay win for a group of bikers. However One character has a power-fist as one hand and a Melta on the other.

I'm sure this isn't right?
I think it wasn't allowed in the old rules but I'm not so sure now.

Also I have another bikers with a small shield strapped to the side of a plasma pistol. Anyone know anything about this?

lifa-cobex

On closer inspection he's done it with a few.
Serious transplants are needed.

Is it allowed to have a Sargent and a vet Sargent in the same squad?

lifa-cobex

Bugger.
I do Indeed. The power fist is the only part now that needs to be cut off. It's going to be tricky without doing too much damage.

Cheers for the info :)

Leunam

If you can, remove that arm at the shoulder, since thats where the glue should be. Gives you a spare weapon and might be a clean cut.

I finished Death of Integrity awhile ago but I was banned so couldn't comment on the overall story.
It's a good book, but it felt like the last 30-40ish pages were tacked on in a way. I feel like the story would've been better ended in any number of ways, but it is what it is. It's worth a read for all the Space Hulk stuff and to see how 2 Chapters with zero history work together both in battle and from an overall standpoint.

lifa-cobex

If you can, remove that arm at the shoulder, since thats where the glue should be. Gives you a spare weapon and might be a clean cut.

I did indeed. Had to get a knife in and file it down but it's fine. Just gave him a force sword as its the only thing I had spare.

Geeze trying to get Horus Heresy books is so damn frustrating sometimes. I can't believe The Black Library is gonna charge $15.99 for reprints of the series.... That's insane.

So while this is a dumb theory from the Horus Heresy series and I'm sure others have thought of it but what if? Spoilers:
The Emperor actually was an agent of chaos and the whole events of the Heresy were conspired by both chaos and the Emperor? The Emperor enforces the secular truth of the Imperium believing that no great intelligences exist within the warp even though he's one of the galaxies most powerful psykers.

Horus is appointed the Warmaster when many other primarchs don't understand why. The reason he was appointed was because he was the most empathetic of the bunch and therefore remained the biggest threat as an enemy to chaos.

The World Bearers under the primarch Lorgar, were claiming the Emperor to be a god and punished compliant worlds for not worshiping the Emperor enough. When the World Bearers were punished by the Emperor, all of a sudden they start worshiping chaos.

After the majority of fighting is over against threats of aggressive Xenos species like the orks the Emperor retires from the Great Crusade. The next step for the World Bearers is to taint and corrupt Horus for Chaos. Chaos knew that Horus would be the biggest threat against them and the Emperor.

Where I'm getting at is that the Emperor knew that if the World Bearers worshiped him as a god then he could steer them indirectly towards chaos. Once they were corrupted they turned their task to corrupting Horus who was Chaos' greatest threat. Along the way Erebus commits subterfuge to counter Chaos' natural enemies being the Interex and Isstvan who both had the abilities to defy them.

When Horus took over the great crusade, it wasn't to bring about systems in compliance. It was about eradicating the enemies of chaos designed by the Emperor.

Yes, there are contradictions along the way like Euphrati Keeler but it's already explained that she's a psyker. During 40k most of the wards worn by the Grey Knights are used from Eldar wraithbone to protect them.

I think that the Primarchs who were considered "Good" were put in positions to fail by the Emperor. The Imperial Fists were sent to guard Terra out of nowhere before Horus was corrupted in a move that the Emperor saw what would unfold so they could fail. Leeman Russ was sent away to keep his Space Wolves out of the fight to retrieve Magnus who had good intentions when he used his sorcery. Guilliman was set up to be ambushed by two legions. Ferrus and Vulkan were both betrayed on the field of battle.

I think that Horus played along with chaos to extremely horrifying acts, but he did so to kill the Emperor who he thought was the orchestrator of it all. In which Horus becomes that in which he hates.

Also the Emperor's edicts of suffer not the alien to live, while denying that chaos exists is mighty suspect

This is just a dumb fictional theory of mine.

lifa-cobex

Have a question about Jink.

I went around my friends and had a friendly match. Were both learning so it was a loooong game but he's more up to scratch than me.

I'm playing Dark Angles with about 18 bikes, Sammael (HQ) and a Dark Shroud.
Obviously knowing the Jink rule would help a great deal (as he was playing Tau).

As far as I was aware you play the Jink rule as you would a cover save. (e.g rolling for each model to see if you actually hit)
Moving on bikes you get +5, Turbo boosting +4. Having the Shroud on top really helping too.

However, My friend turns around and says it doesn't work like that.
I cant exactly remember how he explained it but it was something about taking your cover save instead of your normal save or something. Being a noob my head was turned around.

If anyone has the time, could someone explain how the Jink rule actually works? Cheers :)

Leunam

You're supposed to take the best save you have available, but you only get one save per wound. So if you fail your 4+ cover save, you can't re-roll on your 5+ invulnerable save. If your invulnerable or armor save is better than the cover save, you use that instead, unless you're taking fire from weapons with low AP value, where your armor save can't save you.

lifa-cobex

Think I get it.
So say Sammael gets a wound. He has 3+ SV. However If he just turbo boosted (+4) and has the dark shroud (stealth, which adds 1 point more to cover) so that would be +3. So I would statistically better off using cover save.

However If I didn't have the Shroud (which would make it +4). I would be better taking my invulnerable save?.

Leunam

If your invulnerable and cover saves end up being the same after modifiers, then it doesn't matter which one you take, the result will be the same. If you don't have a shroud, then yeah you would be better of taking the 3+ invulnerable as opposed to the 4+ cover save.

lifa-cobex

Sweet. Cheers for that.
I believe I've got it now. Hopefully i'll have some better tactics for are next match.

Unfortunately I've started running instead of walking in regards to the rules.
I ended up researching for a dedicated army for the more advanced rule set.

However the basic rules though me.

Top Bottom