• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Azih

Fantasy Flight Games have done Dark Heresy (Inquisitor bands), Rogue Trader (space warfare), Deathwatch (Marines) and Only War (Imperial Guard). Fluff-wise the books are awesome. I haven't purchased any of the adventures / campaigns though, as by all accounts they are guidelines as to how to run then (rather than the step-by-step that was in WFBR or D&D).

I think dan was talking about computer RPGs...

Browny

Banned
I think dan was talking about computer RPGs...

I'ts been a long day... I'm not with it... In which case, I agree! 40k Baldur's Gate would be awesome *drools*

THQ were working on Dark Millenium - I know they scrapped it as an MMO (fine by me), and were going to make it single-player, but then....

Does anyone know if anyone picked up the rights to it?

Azih

Yeah I meant video games specifically.
I know about the RPG books.

A game where we actually got to explore a hive city or survive some sort of chaos infested death world would be great.

Would love to have Obsidian work on something like this but the sheer grim darkness of the setting would limit the mainstream appeal of a faithful representation wouldn't it?

Khorne or Nurgle or Xzeentch as antagonists would be fine in a Doom kind of way. Tyranids would be fine in an Aliens kind of way (starting with rooting out genestealer cults maybe). Eldar or Tau would be really interesting. I don't really think you can have an 'RPG' for Orks.

Dark Eldar or Slaneesh though? Man I don't think you can do that.

I would do an Eldar action RPG. You start as a guardian and choose your aspect, eventually becoming an exarch. As a guardian, there would be levels centered around you ability to use certain vehicles, like warwalkers, jetbikes, various tanks, ect. Maybe even a stint as a scout/pirate? Throughout the game, you witness the after effects of an Avatar's destruction. In later levels, you actually see glimpses of the Avatar in action, perhaps being the key to victory in a major battle. The last act in the game, you are sacrificed and become the Avatar and you murder everything in your path for an entire level until the showdown with a greater demon.

Special guests would include Harlequins, dark eldar, farseers, and Phoenix Lords, all used to tell the Eldar's story and define it's unique racial identity in the 40k universe.

I want to play this game.

MacNille

Banned
I want a TPS Imperial Guard game. You play as an imperial guardsman from his department from his homeplanet to his last fight or something like that.

Leunam

Three pronged campaign where you play as Imperial Guard:

1. Imperial Guardsman who rises to the ranks up to Sergeant. Fighting in the trenches, fighting in the streets, fighting in the forests.

2. Leman Russ commander, fighting with the armored company in massive battles on the field against other armor and renegade Titan Legions. Eventually upgrade to a Baneblade commander.

3. Stormtrooper Sergeant. Stealthy raids and sabotage of enemy locations and supplies.

I'd play it non-stop.

MacNille

Banned
For dying in droves, I agree.

That sounds like HERESY!
Heresy-stamp.jpg

MacNille

Banned
Haven't gotten to it yet. What's the issue? Is the campaign at least worth a try?

It is boring. The maps are poorly design and as I said, the VA is lackluster. They are trying to make it as fun as Dark Crusade, but not as good. One of the few things good from it, is the awesome memes from it. Like SINDDDRRRIII from DoW. Soulstorm is full of it.

Finished DoW1's main campaign. Damn, the penultimate mission (where you have to hold the relics) was a lot harder than the final one. Playing as Marines was fun but gets a little samey since they have one unit who's seemingly good at everything. Just be sure to pack them with missile launchers and you don't even need assault vehicles. Loved it, though. Great voice acting, too. Loved hearing Scott McNeil (Beast wars' Dinobot) as Lord Bale.

On to Winter Assault.

Guevara

I just finished reading the first 3 Horus Heresy books, can anyone recommend what to read next?

Or should I just continue with Flight of the Eisenstein?

I just finished reading the first 3 Horus Heresy books, can anyone recommend what to read next?

Or should I just continue with Flight of the Eisenstein?

I actually liked Flight of the Eisenstein quite a bit, I say truck through. Fulgrim can be a bit of a chore to get through the first half though.

Guevara

I actually liked Flight of the Eisenstein quite a bit, I say truck through. Fulgrim can be a bit of a chore to get through the first half though.

Thanks, is there a point at which the series opens up a bit more? To be honest, I generally prefer the short stories over the novels.

Thanks, is there a point at which the series opens up a bit more? To be honest, I generally prefer the short stories over the novels.

It's kind of hard to explain, after Fulgrim the series kind of segments into different campaigns going through on out the galaxy. For instance "The First Heretic" focuses on the Word Bearers legion, while "Fear to Tread" focuses on the Blood Angels.

Mind you these will not go in chronological order either, nearly all of The First Heretic takes place before the evens on Isstvan III. The series itself though doesn't progress near as quickly as it did in the first 5 books.

So Winter Assault is basically like a mini-expansion, huh? Does it add anything other than The IG and two new campaigns? Cool how the campaigns have different endings, though.

Karakand

The audio book for it is pretty decent.

Don't think I've disliked a single Garro thing*.

*Haven't consumed any Garro stuff for awhile.

Just started Dark Crusade. It looks...intimidating. I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown worrying about the strength of all my provinces. Really loving the Necron so far. Their mono-resource economy is so efficient.

Just started Dark Crusade. It looks...intimidating. I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown worrying about the strength of all my provinces. Really loving the Necron so far. Their mono-resource economy is so efficient.

Easily the best expansion if DoW 1. I played the hell out of DC.

My wife wants to get into the novels and would like to know what the best Chaos-oriented books are. Are Iron Warriors and Word Bearers worthwhile?

My wife wants to get into the novels and would like to know what the best Chaos-oriented books are. Are Iron Warriors and Word Bearers worthwhile?

Honestly, the first 3 Horus Heresy novels are pretty solid. They tell a single story and it also happens to be the start of the biggest event in 40k staring some major players. I thought the first book started a little slow, but by mid book I was ready to read the entire series.

Fyi, my wife listened to the first 3 books via audio and she enjoyed them well enough.

I've read some great chaos focused short stories but not any chaos focused novels.

Edit: I actually did read Iron Warriors, but that was years ago and I can't remember specifics.

I've read the Word Bearers omnibus, all three novels tie together pretty well for a singular story arc. I actually really enjoyed it but the human stories were more memorable for me than the chaos marines. While the chaos marines are entertaining to read the human sections Reynolds wrote for the first two novels are really good.

I actually lucked out and got my copy cheaply for $7.50 but the Word Bearers is one of the more expensive and difficult to find omnibus's to get at the moment. Copies on amazon range from $40-$100 used atm.

Mathi

It's really a shame that so much of their old stuff is out of print. It really baffles me that they don't reprint popular stuff like Gaunt's Ghosts or Eisenhorn. Luckily I bought most of the omnibus collections when I got into Warhammer 2-3 years ago, but it sucks for new readers.

If you don't mind ebooks, you can just buy the Word Bearers Omnibus here.

It's really a shame that so much of their old stuff is out of print. It really baffles me that they don't reprint popular stuff like Gaunt's Ghosts or Eisenhorn. Luckily I bought most of the omnibus collections when I got into Warhammer 2-3 years ago, but it sucks for new readers.

If you don't mind ebooks, you can just buy the Word Bearers Omnibus here.

$23.99 is such a ripoff for a ebook though. I found that if you live in the U.S that Half Price Books is the way to go for trying to find out of print omnibus's. That's where I got my Word Bearers omnibus for $7.50 and I also got my Eisenhorn and Founding omnibus for $5 each there. They're so cheap because they don't adjust the price at all and just sell the book for 50% off it's original print price.

Mind you I got extremely lucky to find those there in the first place. The Founding was a little ragged but I was able to get copies of Eisenhorn and Word Bearers that are in pretty great condition.

Mathi

$23.99 is such a ripoff for a ebook though. I found that if you live in the U.S that Half Price Books is the way to go for trying to find out of print omnibus's. That's where I got my Word Bearers omnibus for $7.50 and I also got my Eisenhorn and Founding omnibus for $5 each there. They're so cheap because they don't adjust the price at all and just sell the book for 50% off it's original print price.

Mind you I got extremely lucky to find those there in the first place. The Founding was a little ragged but I was able to get copies of Eisenhorn and Word Bearers that are in pretty great condition.
Yeah, they are expensive, but I'm used to Black Library prices by now. I live in Germany, sadly there is no huge market here for used english books. I bought a used copy of Storm of Iron once from amazon marketplace and it looked so filthy I almost didn't want to touch it... I also did not realise that the story was part of the Iron Warriors Omnibus, which I already owned, so that was that. Haven't bought a used book since.

It also doesn't help that you can't buy the ebooks anywhere else, or the Horus Heresy hardcovers for that matter.
Speaking of exclusive books, The Talon of Horus First Edition just went on sale today, the first book in the new Black Legion series, 2 months before the regular release. And it's just 50€!

Mathi

Almost 3 hours since it went on sale and they already sold 1200 copies (out of 1500).
Seems like a lot of people are stupid enough to pay this much cash for a book (including me ._.).

Top Bottom