• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Tacitus_

Brehs, you're the only ones I can tell this to who might understand. :(

I recently advanced in my professional field and part of that advancement means being subject to ethics and behavioral regulations. Well when I was going over the specifics of those, the regs were constantly talking about sanctioning and censuring as punishments and all I could do was chuckle and think of moments from the Horus Heresy because there's a whole lot of censure and sanctioning in there. :( (There's even an audio drama titled "Censure.")

Stupid approximation of High Gothic by using a register of English that's very formal. :(

You should wear a red cap if you get censured.

Karakand

Unfortunately I don't work on the set of Mad Men.

Maybe I can find some red dress shoes instead? After all, Reboot Gorillaman did borrow the custom of marking those punished in red from the Night Lords' custom of staining the hands red.

I need to reevaluate my life.

Karakand

I sensibly chuckled at an event in a Commissar Cain book. It really is the Dark Millennium.

At least it gave me the opportunity to facepalm (my natural reaction to these stories) a chapter or so later when there was a horrible reference to Sharpe's Rifles.

Karakand

I enjoy the character quite a bit, the intentional humor just falls a little flat on me.

I also hate that the author makes me ask myself, "Was that a Dan Abnett joke?" all the time. I can think of 3-4 obvious ones in For the Emperor and I haven't even finished it yet. Have an Astartes memory for 40K books brehs. :(

Finally got around to Unremembered Empire after taking a break from 40k for a while. Pretty great so far, is there anyone girlyman doesn't get his ass beat from?

Karakand

Not sure how far you are, but there are two hilarious fights involving how much he sucks (as a fighter) in that book.

Vengeful Spirit: Emps is a dick. Hell. So cold about what happened to Magnus.

Karakand

Nah, I only listen to it while driving to clients and I'm sick this week so I'm not driving much to clients. (Only the ones who make Perturabo look like Sanguinius.) They haven't even got to Molech yet. I just HAD to be healthy when I was listening to Fear to keep going Tread.

I have a really bad feeling about the Knights Errant subplot, BTW. As a Black Library Audio bro first and foremost, it's going to suck if the gang get fucked up before they can be exploited in another 5-8 audio dramas.

Tacitus_

I didn't really care for that subplot as I felt that it was there just as an excuse to have those characters in the book.

As for your fear about them not making more appearances... some of them make it.

Not sure how far you are, but there are two hilarious fights involving how much he sucks (as a fighter) in that book.

Vengeful Spirit: Emps is a dick. Hell. So cold about what happened to Magnus.

Yea, I loved the sections with Dantioch though. He's easily one of my favorite characters in the Heresy series.

I really didn't like how the Narek subplot ended though, he's a really interesting character so I hope he doesn't get discarded like
Argel Tal did in Betrayer.

As for Grammaticus,
that's what happens when you take advice from a Eldar farseer from Ulthwe.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't really care for that subplot as I felt that it was there just as an excuse to have those characters in the book.

As for your fear about them not making more appearances... some of them make it.

Unless there are some major retcons there will be eight of them at the end of the Heresy. I think everyone should know who the Knights Errant are by now.

Karakand

It feels really forced, yeah. I know the story starts with a book (Eisenstein), but it parted ways from there and I don't see the need to go back.

Unless there are some major retcons there will be eight of them at the end of the Heresy. I think everyone should know who the Knights Errant are by now.

In Shield of Lies Garro uncovers
the creation of the Grey Knights by Malcador
while trying to ferret out what he thinks is a plot in the Administratum. I was loling at that one.

Karakand

Took a break from Vengeful Spirit to listen to Mortarion's Heart.

I know you should take a traitor's word with a grain of salt but Mortarion hints pretty heavy that Garro was Janus. So many megatons are coming brehs.

Also apparently Mortarion wasn't his real name? First I've ever heard of that.

Leunam

Finished The First Heretic earlier today.

End of the book spoilers ahead:
"I've always hated you, Xaphen."

So fucking good. Actually laughed and cheered at that.

Going to go backwards and read Battle for the Abyss. It's supposed to be next chronologically I believe.

Just go in with the mindset that Battle for the Abyss is a pure action book. Personally I kind of liked it but I can see why it gets a lot of flak. You don't have to read it though if you start hating it, it doesn't really hold any importance overall for any of the story arcs in the HH.

It has some importance to the Ultramar campaign but just don't expect anything that's real narrative driven like The First Heretic, as I said Abyss is 99% an action title. There is some interesting characters though you'll like.

AlStrong

Just go in with the mindset that Battle for the Abyss is a pure action book. Personally I kind of liked it but I can see why it gets a lot of flak. You don't have to read it though if you start hating it, it doesn't really hold any importance overall for any of the story arcs in the HH.
mm... yeah, can't say I particularly remember much of anything that happened throughout. The only thing that stuck for me was seeing
Mhotep & Skraal
on the loyalist side.
BLAZE OF GLORY
>:D

mm... yeah, can't say I particularly remember much of anything that happened throughout. The only thing that stuck for me was seeing
Mhotep & Skraal
on the loyalist side.
BLAZE OF GLORY
>:D

They were also treated like crap through the entire book, frigging hypocrite space wolves man.

"The edict of Nikea says no psykers!!"

"But what about your runepriest??"

"That's different!!"

Karakand

They were also treated like crap through the entire book, frigging hypocrite space wolves man.

"The edict of Nikea says no psykers!!"

"But what about your runepriest??"

"That's different!!"

That Allfather shit is Lorgar-tier too.

Space Wolves were the army I always played when I played the tabletop game and I've really grown to hate them during the HH series because their #dgaf attitude is being grimdarked. :(

At least ADB is here to keep things in perspective.

We are not the tame, reliable pets that the Emperor wanted. The Wolves obey, when we would not. The Wolves can be trusted, when we never could. They have a discipline we lack, because their passions are not aflame with the Butcher’s Nails buzzing in the back of their skulls. The Wolves will always come to heel when called. In that regard, it is a mystery why they name themselves wolves. They are tame, collared by the Emperor, obeying his every whim. But a wolf doesn’t behave that way. Only a dog does. That is why we are the Eaters of Worlds, and the War Hounds no longer.

vdyYdIv.png
Ubndf9N.png

Karakand

Vengeful Spirit: omg how could they just
skip all of Horus' time in the Warp
. Ffffuuuuu.

Sucks about all the
redshirt
members of the
Knights-Errant
but I expected that when they were introduced.

Solid HH story after suffering through Fear to Tread. Really hope GM gets to write the important book about the Battle of Terra because I love his theatrical back and forth conversations but Abnett will probably get that honor. *makes jerk off motion*

My copy of Deathstorm arrived today. I think there's a novel that comes with it too.

This box helps flesh out my Tyranids and Blood Angels!

Speaking of Blood Angels, the new Sanguinary Priest is pretty nice. The Tac squad gets a nice upgrade, too.

For 30 fucking dollars it better be. Holy shit!

Yeah, the tactical squad is pretty rad. It's like they mixed in the Sanguinary Guard, Death Company, and Tactical sprues together, which is something most did years ago. However, instead of having to buy 3 kits, you get all those details in one.

I'm really hoping for a new Mephiston sculpt with this new codex. Possibly a new Dante as well, but I think the old one has aged pretty well.

Tacitus_

Vengeful Spirit: omg how could they just
skip all of Horus' time in the Warp
. Ffffuuuuu.

Sucks about all the
redshirt
members of the
Knights-Errant
but I expected that when they were introduced.

Solid HH story after suffering through Fear to Tread. Really hope GM gets to write the important book about the Battle of Terra because I love his theatrical back and forth conversations but Abnett will probably get that honor. *makes jerk off motion*

So what do you think now about the Big E and his
warp
spawn?

Karakand

It's very 40K to undermine one of the few innovative triumphs by humanity
(Astartes)
as
warpcraft

I'm wondering if Big E did what the Alpha Legion did.
Agree to help the Cabal destroy Chaos by destroying humanity, then deviating from the agreed upon plan
. It would certainly explain his difficult to understand obsession with xenocide during the Crusade.

The Cain novel where he's a teacher is ridic. I about lost it when he caught one of his cadets gawking at Sororitas novitiates mud wrestling instead of listening to him.

AlStrong

Funnily, I just finished re-reading Legion
Honen Mu, waifu :(
. The end still feels nuts.
Convinced that easily? idk. Naive perhaps, though I do find them more interesting for thinking they're doing what the Emperor might want. The whole twin-thing and "whole primarch" was fun. Great scene IMHO.

But I would love to have a new story arc focusing on them (like the Night Lords). Maybe it'd be too convoluted, but I wonder how the Alpha Legion continues to think and act as they do through to the 40th millennium given the outcome of the Heresy.

Karakand

A First Claw style series about the Alpha Legion would rule. They're long overdue something beyond SINDRIIIIIII.

I got a similar notion but with the
Warp instead. There was plenty of hubbub about the Emp betraying the Chaos gods.

That seemed pretty explicit to me, I just don't see how he would have even known about Chaos, let alone how to get to Molech during Old Night. (I know he took a ship but I'm a little incredulous he found one on Earth on his own.) And the underlying reason for the Imperial Truth (starving Chaos) sounds an awful lot like a certain other plan...

Tacitus_

That seemed pretty explicit to me, I just don't see how he would have even known about Chaos, let alone how to get to Molech during Old Night. (I know he took a ship but I'm a little incredulous he found one on Earth on his own.) And the underlying reason for the Imperial Truth (starving Chaos) sounds an awful lot like a certain other plan...

If a non psyker (albeit perpetual) human can cross across the warp nilly wille with a ritual knife, I think the single greatest mortal psyker can do something similar >_>

And the original reason for the Emp being a single being was to combat Chaos, though I'm not sure if that's gotten retconned.

AlStrong

Speaking of retcons, Emps and chaos... and Alpha Legion... I wonder if they'll try to tie things into Inquisition War (i.e. Hydra & Cabal).

Leunam

g2uk0sRl.jpg

Finished my Word Bearers Dark Apostle. Such a pain in the ass to get decent pictures. I had to settle for these crap shots.

Tacitus_

Whoops, those nubs were apparently supposed to be hair tufts based on the box art. Well, they are bony nubs now. Clearly a favour from the Chaos Gods.

Finished my Word Bearers Dark Apostle. Such a pain in the ass to get decent pictures. I had to settle for these crap shots.

This is a good looking paint job except for the cape. I should likely blame that on a bad pic because it looks like it has zero highlights except the bottom edge in a single spot. That is pretty odd seeing as how capes are the easiest thing in the world to paint and make look half way decent, while you excel in the face and armor painting, which can be the hardest.

I would like to see a group shot of a couple of your Word Bearers together if you get the chance. I really like the look of the small amount you have shown so far.

Also, Defied Data needs to post his Tau.

In my neck of the woods, I have really nice Blood Angels and Tyranid armies sitting in their boxes. I fully intend on cutting them off the sprues and getting to work on them after the new year. 2015 is going to be a painting year for me.

My armies look something like this off hand:

Blood Angels
Dante
Mephisto
Brother Corbulo
Tycho
3x Tactical Squads (10 each)
2 x Death company (5 each)
10 x Terminators (from Space Hulk - I actually have 30 of them!)
1 x Sanguinary Guard (5 models)
2 Dreads (Furioso & Death Company)
1 Razorback
1 Land Raider

Want - 2x New Terminators, 2 x New Tactical, and 1x New Blood Angels Librarian in Terminator armor

Tyranids
Hive Tyrant
Carnifex
Tyranid Warriors x 6
Hormagaunts x 40ish
Genestealers x 30 ( 74 if you count all my Space Hulk editions too!)
Broodlord x 2 (4 if you count all my Space Hulks)

Want - Too much to list. I really love how this line of figures looks right now. I should probably start of with more big guys and go from there.

I also have and want to get painted up:

5x Dark Angel Terminators
10 x Ultra Marine Terminators
1x Chaplin Terminator (this may go with my Blood Angels)
1x Librarian Terminator (Probably will go with my Ultra Marines since I'll have 2 BA Terminators)

Wants - 5x Grey Knight Terminators, 5x Dark Angel Terminators, and 10x Space Wolf Terminators

The priorities for painting will be Blood Angels from Space Hulk, then the Ultra Marines, then the Dark Angels Terminators from Dark Vengeance. All these terminators are for Space Hulk only.

Well, that right there is more than I'll ever paint in 5 years, much less one. It's nice to see a goal lined out though!

Leunam

This is a good looking paint job except for the cape. I should likely blame that on a bad pic because it looks like it has zero highlights except the bottom edge in a single spot. That is pretty odd seeing as how capes are the easiest thing in the world to paint and make look half way decent, while you excel in the face and armor painting, which can be the hardest.

I would like to see a group shot of a couple of your Word Bearers together if you get the chance. I really like the look of the small amount you have shown so far.

Thanks for the insight!

The glare really washes out the highlights on the cape, but even without it there aren't many highlights anyway. I had to mix my own shades of grey for that one which is why I came away using less highlights than I should have; I'm bad at recreating custom mixes, even with drop bottles, so when I run out of the right shade then I could be screwed, so I went a little conservative.

I think I'm going to pop him off his base and hit him with a matte coat. The other Word Bearers are various levels of glossy because of the black wash, so I'm going to level them all out with matte coat also once they're finished. I'll try to post them here by the end of the week.

Karakand

Talon of Horus is really fucking good. Listening to it right after A Thousand Sons is like looking at night and day.

Speaking of ADB, his latest Sevatar story is pretty good too. Wish that char got more attention this deep in the HH series.

I took out all my 40k stuff to organize and plan, but realized it's too cold to prime anything. Looks like I'll focus on other hobbies until spring. Well, I guess I could assemble and model a bit so everything is ready to prime when the thaw finally hits.

Leunam

That's my problem, too. There are a few models that I need to work on but without decent weather I can't prime anything without potentially ruining it.

I took out all my 40k stuff to organize and plan, but realized it's too cold to prime anything. Looks like I'll focus on other hobbies until spring. Well, I guess I could assemble and model a bit so everything is ready to prime when the thaw finally hits.
I usually just lay down cardboard and do it inside. What do you need to prime?

I usually just lay down cardboard and do it inside. What do you need to prime?

Well, I could just spray on the first coat with an airbrush, but I have a mountain of minis to prime, from board games to 40k.

I'm focused on a single mini right now though, so I might be able to hit him up this week if the sun stays out. I don't have a spare indoor room where the odor wouldn't be a huge issue.

I moved on to trying to organize my Lego and just about had a goddamn heart attack when I realized how difficult and labor intensive that's going to be.

Well, I could just spray on the first coat with an airbrush, but I have a mountain of minis to prime, from board games to 40k.

I'm focused on a single mini right now though, so I might be able to hit him up this week if the sun stays out. I don't have a spare indoor room where the odor wouldn't be a huge issue.

I moved on to trying to organize my Lego and just about had a goddamn heart attack when I realized how difficult and labor intensive that's going to be.
We have very similar problems.

Karakand

The Emperor shits his pants (toga) in the literal sense in Talon of Horus. #dead

Technically
it's an aspect of the Emperor's psyche
, but ADB you a legend now.

Have they ever gone into great detail about what a machine spirit really is before? ADB lays it out thoroughly in this book and I honestly knew none of this, though what I once thought was anthropomorphic behavior (e.g. "the Land Raider had a sadistic machine spirit") makes perfect sense now.

Only details I can remember about them was when the idea was introduced with the latest Land Raider model and all that said was it was a limited form of AI that could take full control of the vehicle if need be. Actually I also recall that the precursor to drop pods, the dreadclaw, had fairly advanced machine spirits that had a tendency to turn homicidal. After a few unexplained deaths around them some ship captains started jettisoning them.

Top Bottom