• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Salazar

Snuggler said:
It's odd that you can't view or change the key bindings.

Yeah. Mentioned in a Q&A that just went up.

http://www.thqinsider.co.uk/2011/09/02/warhammer-40000-space-marine-community-qa-answers/

15. What was the rationale behind not allowing people to rebind keyboard commands in the middle of a mission? Every other game I can think of, going back to Quake and Doom has let you do so without losing your progress. Not Space Marine.
Charax – Warseer

Matt Rose, Associate Producer – Space Marine: We’d love to include all of the options, but there are always memory constraints with in-game UI. We wanted the game to run well on a broad range of PCs, so opted to restrict this option to the main menu.

I was going to hold out for a while before picking this up...but the fervour in this thread coupled with a few more runs through the demo...it might have to be...

...for the Emperor.

Malo

Banned
Finally got around to playing the demo and that was a lot more fun than I expected. The combat is satisfying and brutal, love the chainsword. Can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

Salazar

JaseC said:
That is the worst excuse I have ever heard. It doesn't even make sense.

I have extraordinarily limited knowledge about programming and such, but it seemed wonky to me, too.

I mean, they appear to have succeeded - judging from gaffer anecdotes - in scaling the game for a heap of different hardware. But I don't know how rebinding keys influences or would detract from that at all.

Dennis

Banned
I have never really been able to accept the Tau and Necrons as part of the WH40,000 universe.

The Tau because these anime-inspired creatures just seem so out of place. They are cool enough on their own but just out of place in the gothic world of 40K.

The Necrons are just lame. Skeletons? Really?

DennisK4 said:

Isn't the idea for the Necrons so that their husks are based on C'Than, who was so terrifying and powerful mankind adopted the Grim Reaper as a personification of death? I remember reading something like that.

Anyway, played the demo again with X360 pad, Hard setting. The game feels incredible, I like the fact you need to switch weapons and not always go Melee/Ranged. Even when you do, horde of Orks >>> 4-5 Locust soldiers.

Dina

DennisK4 said:
I have never really been able to accept the Tau and Necrons as part of the WH40,000 universe.

The Tau because these anime-inspired creatures just seem so out of place. They are cool enough on their own but just out of place in the gothic world of 40K.

Necrons, yes. Tau, no. Tau are awesome, peace-loving, long range gun toting maniacs. Just less maniacal than most races in WH40k, which actually is a breath of fresh metallic air. I have more problems with easy cash-ins such as the Sisters of Battle or Dark Eldar.

Salazar

The one thing I don't like is pissy little Imperial Guard coming in and shooting at orks I want to kill personally.

A Space Marine game with a renegade path (Horus option) would be sensational.

kamspy

Why does this game have to be sooo good? Doesn't Relic know I've got heavy hitters to save for? Every fall I swear I'm gonna chill but little gems like this pop up. And I just bought the COD 1+2 warchest on sale because I had a hard on for bolt rifles from the RO2 beta.

My wallet is doomed.

Is the power sword unlocked in Kill Team exclusive to Kill Team, or can it be obtained through the natural course of MP progression?

Man, I'm pretty pumped for this. Demo veterans: will you be running through on Hard initially, or no? It has a 'second and more enjoyable run-through on Hard' vibe to me.

mickcenary said:
Man, I'm pretty pumped for this. Demo veterans: will you be running through on Hard initially, or no? It has a 'second and more enjoyable run-through on Hard' vibe to me.

Going to run on Hard the first time, then jump into Multiplayer, then come October play Exterminatus over and over again. I hope inevitable Exterminatus DLC will feature a Space Hulk.

Salazar said:
The one thing I don't like is pissy little Imperial Guard coming in and shooting at orks I want to kill personally.

The Tanith First-And-Only lads frowned, and Gaunt reasoned with the hulking Wolf known as Salazar.

"When, my Lord," He eyed the Space Marine, "...did it ever become about personal glory?"

Salazar

The Tanith are oddballs, outliers.

Planning to play campaign on medium first time through. Not playing MP. Hoping that Exterminatus teams can be filled up with AI.

I just hope the IG bodies you stride across make for a fine carpet.

Who am I kidding, no game to date has made me feel like such a hard-arse. Not even Kratos can hold a candle to the Space Marines. Not being one for hyperbole, that's no mean feat...considering how much machismo has been oozing out of gaming, this generation in particular.

Salazar

Relic dude [well, identified as Relic dude] on Relic forum:

I was rocking through some co-op mode solo today as the Assault marine. Jumping into a gazillion orks and wildly swinging the thunder hammer is a lot of fun

Cautious hype.

squall23

Wait what? So co-op mode with bots? Isn't that technically single player? Or does he mean co-op mode by himself with no bots? Which is still technically single player anyway.

Salazar

squall23 said:
Wait what? So co-op mode with bots?

Unclear. Hope so.

He is a programmer on it so I don't know if the shit he can do crosses over into retail.

Relic could, y'know, TELL US shit like this.

Salazar said:
Unclear. Hope so.

He is a programmer on it so I don't know if the shit he can do crosses over into retail.

Relic could, y'know, TELL US shit like this.

I think it's safe to assume there will be bots for Exterminatus. Although this is mainly the problem for PS360, PC MP communities are going strong for years.

panda21

are there any screenshots of anything other than the demo level around? i want to hype but I just can't yet. jungle/snow environments would be boss

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Castor Krieg said:
PC MP communities are going strong for years.
Depends on the game, really. Transformers had 100 times bigger mp community on the console. I wonder how this turns out for the SM.

Salazar

panda21 said:
are there any screenshots of anything other than the demo level around? i want to hype but I just can't yet. jungle/snow environments would be boss

No hope of jungle or snow. Think of the most brutally industrialised planet you can, and then take everything environmentally extraneous out of it.

Currently watching this French dude preview it. Shows some early combat - with the knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPejI0eKONA

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
MesserWolf said:
Still no review available ? when does the embargo end?

Pretty strange .
Wouldn't expect any over the weekend, we'll probably get them tomorrow.

BladeRunner12

Neo Member
Yup, embargo lifts on 5th, so expect to see lots of reviews tomorrow.

I hope that GameStop does another deal for £20 on this one. Really looking forward to it after playing the demo.

Fjordson

markot said:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

I like this site for infos...... but the grey on black on grey of it is really lame >.<
Haha, yeah, I love reading that site but I remember thinking there was something wrong with my monitor when I first saw it. Such a weird color scheme.

And I didn't even realize that my copy shipped from Amazon early yesterday Woo! Earlier than usual because of the holiday here in the U.S. on Monday (I assume).

Salazar

BladeRunner12 said:
expect to see lots of reviews tomorrow.

Trust in the Emperor.

Obese game-journalist wretches of Slaanesh will whisper in your ear such things as "jank" and "derivative" and "Gears-like" and "generic". They will howl and squeal about "missing campaign co-op".

Fuck it. Game is good. You know this to be true.

Valravn

Im at sick at home with diverticulitis. I need seriously need my craving of Space Marine to kill the boredom of laying in my bed all day.

Salazar said:
Trust in the Emperor.

Obese game-journalist wretches of Slaanesh will whisper in your ear such things as "jank" and "derivative" and "Gears-like" and "generic". They will howl and squeal about "missing campaign co-op".

I wouldn't worry about those warped bags of rotting flesh and mouthpieces. They'll get what's coming to them.

461px-Maellusinquisitor.jpg

Drek

kamspy said:
Why does this game have to be sooo good? Doesn't Relic know I've got heavy hitters to save for? Every fall I swear I'm gonna chill but little gems like this pop up. And I just bought the COD 1+2 warchest on sale because I had a hard on for bolt rifles from the RO2 beta.

My wallet is doomed.
The heaviest of heavy hitters is a space marine with a power fist.

1031__500x500_warhammer40k_1600x1200.jpg

Demo is just WAY too good.

Dina

Salazar said:
Trust in the Emperor.

Haha, boss reply.

Dommel

To my surprise I was able to buy the game (ps3) today from a local store in Rotterdam. Afaik it's not out for release in europe until friday?

Now the agonizing wait starts because I'm visiting family and I won't be able to play it until I get home tonight.

Guanoape

Neo Member
Dommel said:
To my surprise I was able to buy the game (ps3) today from a local store in Rotterdam. Afaik it's not out for release in europe until friday?

Now the agonizing wait starts because I'm visiting family and I won't be able to play it until I get home tonight.

Apparently some major Dutch retailers began selling the game (for all platforms) yesterday. I hope every other (web)shop follows suit, so I can get my copy before Friday as well!

deim0s

8BitsAtATime said:
Actually I was just looking at that. Thanks!

So my shopping list looks like this

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy In Flames
Path of the Warrior
Path of the Seer
Gaunt's Ghosts: The Founding

*edit*
I lost my Junior Member status with this post :)

Flight of the Eisenstein is good as well.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Dommel said:

Putting family above Space Marine is utter heresy. Expect a thorough purging.

This has got to be the most wonderful, legitimately overblown thread on NeoGAF. We talk openly of purging and of inquisition against ANY sort of heretic.

As it should be.

And might I add...it might seem relatively simple in the grand array of combat techniques and firearm capabilities...but is there anything more satisfying that sprint-stunning an Ork with all the impact a one-ton Space Marine can muster and seeing the stun-effect mince them into bloody chunks?

Probably. But it's been the highlight of my evening.

DennisK4 said:

I don't mind the colour they bring. The fact is that the Tau are the only "good" guys in the WH40K-verse.

Pylon_Trooper said:
This has got to be the most wonderful, legitimately overblown thread on NeoGAF. We talk openly of purging and of inquisition against ANY sort of heretic.

As it should be.

And might I add...it might seem relatively simple in the grand array of combat techniques and firearm capabilities...but is there anything more satisfying that sprint-stunning an Ork with all the impact a one-ton Space Marine can muster and seeing the stun-effect mince them into bloody chunks?

Probably. But it's been the highlight of my evening.

The game might end up not being stellar (I highly fucking DOUBT IT) but I have enjoyed the hell out of this thread. :D

Shuusui

So... what are the chances that the multiplayer community disappears after 2 weeks of this game's release? I feel like getting to the maximum level will be impossible without 24-hours of player, every day for 2 weeks.

Which is a damn shame.

Speaking of... why developers put multiplayer 'chievos in at all is beyond me. Some games it makes sense, and those games do it well, but titles that aren't expected to do gangbusters should limit them to something like "Win a game", etc.</rant>

Top Bottom