• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Leunam

bigdaddygamebot said:
I don't mind the colour they bring. The fact is that the Tau are the only "good" guys in the WH40K-verse.

Nah, "assimilate or die" is their order of business. I guess it's kind of cool that they give you a choice, but when the other choice is annihilation (or slavery, as is the case with the Vespid), you tend to join their side.

There's no such thing as "good guys," only varying degrees of "less bad."

Leunam said:
Nah, "assimilate or die" is their order of business. I guess it's kind of cool that they give you a choice, but when the other choice is annihilation (or slavery, as is the case with the Vespid), you tend to join their side.

There's no such thing as "good guys," only varying degrees of "less bad."

Eldar are closest, at least they are the only ones not actively seeking to expand,destroy,consume,corrupt everything else. But that is due to them dying as a race more so than them being good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pylon_Trooper said:
And might I add...it might seem relatively simple in the grand array of combat techniques and firearm capabilities...but is there anything more satisfying that sprint-stunning an Ork with all the impact a one-ton Space Marine can muster and seeing the stun-effect mince them into bloody chunks?

I love to sprint + melee into a crowd of Ork's, it's very satisfying. The combat is satisfying in general, I've probably played both of the demo missions 5 or 6 times now. I'm ready for Gabe to push the unlock button!

Jarate

Banned
can't wait to try out multi, could have a really cool playerbase since all the gear kiddies will flee to gears.

might turn into a tf2 360 kinda deal

HeadlessRoland said:
Eldar are closest, at least they are the only ones not actively seeking to expand,destroy,consume,corrupt everything else. But that is due to them dying as a race more so than them being good.

I wouldn't call guys who are willing to let billions of humans die just to save a few hundreds of their own remotely close to "good".

Shuusui

Castor Krieg said:
I wouldn't call guys who are willing to let billions of humans die just to save a few hundreds of their own remotely close to "good".
Screw humans. There's plenty of them. The Emperor won't miss a few.

Ulchie said:
Any reviews for this popping up anywhere yet?

It is weird that there aren't any, but I've played through that demo so many times, and am so hyped. There have been very few times where I've been so convinced a game will be great.

EchosMyron1 said:
It is weird that there aren't any, but I've played through that demo so many times, and am so hyped. There have been very few times where I've been so convinced a game will be great.

I think S.O.P. these days are embargoes for...everything?

With Gears 3 coming out this month...is it possible that sites/magazines are saving their early review exclusives for that rather than something like Space Marine?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm guessing the reviews be generally positive, mostly in the range of 7-8. I can see it getting knocked for "borrowing" from the competition or something like that. Either way it doesn't really matter to me since I've already bought the game. The demo was all the convincing that I needed.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So what platform are most people picking this up for? Planning on 360 here. I'll almost assuredly double dip when it shows up on a Steam sale though.

Xater

Zerokku said:
So what platform are most people picking this up for? Planning on 360 here. I'll almost assuredly double dip when it shows up on a Steam sale though.

PS3 is my only option so....

Zerokku said:

Well, I thought I wouldn't be able to play it at all with my '08 rig (no HD console) but it works like a charm on the highest settings. So PC with 360 controller it is :)

bigdaddygamebot said:
Hey...let's not get crazy.

I'll order Exterminatus just as quickly as the next Inquisitor.

I can totally be intolerant...I can!

Nah, no need for an Exterminatus. Just send in the Space Wolves. We'll clean up that Xenos filth in no time flat!

Kalnos

Banned
Castor Krieg said:

Yeah, no one is 'good' in 40k though. IIRC the Imperium sacrifices thousands of psykers a day (or is it a year?) to keep the Emperor alive.

Xater

Glass Rebel said:
Well, I thought I wouldn't be able to play it at all with my '08 rig (no HD console) but it works like a charm on the highest settings. So PC with 360 controller it is :)

Guess then it would probably run on my new iMac hmm....Nah I am to lazy to boot into Windows. ;)

There is only degrees of evil in 40k.

Not everything has to have an absolute "good" side and "bad" side. That's a product of conventional story telling that we're all led to believe that everything has two sides to it.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, I have been in the grips of pre-order bonus indecision and have just realized the game releases tomorrow. Probably grabbing the amazon chainsword, since I'll be decorating my multiplayer space marine armor with my college colors anyways.

So pumped for this game. Can't wait to smash chaos marines and have puny imperial guardsmen semi-worshipping me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
narcosis219 said:
There is only degrees of evil in 40k.

Not everything has to have an absolute "good" side and "bad" side. That's a product of conventional story telling that we're all led to believe that everything has two sides to it.

Chaos is pretty undeniably evil.

Kalnos

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Chaos is pretty undeniably evil.

Why? The Imperium of Man is just as bad if not worse (you know, by being a theocracy pushing manifest destiny).

Everyone in 40k is evil really, it's just a matter of who's more evil.

MedIC86

Kalnos said:
Why? The Imperium of Man is just as bad if not worse (you know, by being a theocracy pushing manifest destiny).

This pretty much, in this universe everyone has pretty much an hidden agenda, so good and bad are kind of relative.

Kalnos said:

...except the Tau.

...and the Squats.

Fjordson

Zerokku said:
360 collector's edition.

My wallet for the rest of the year = :(

JoeBoy101

DennisK4 said:
I have never really been able to accept the Tau and Necrons as part of the WH40,000 universe.

The Tau because these anime-inspired creatures just seem so out of place. They are cool enough on their own but just out of place in the gothic world of 40K.

The Necrons are just lame. Skeletons? Really?

I would agree with the Necrons, but the lore behind them is quite interesting including how they brought the C'Tan out of the stars and the relationship (hatred_ between the C'Tan and chaos and the warp.

Narag

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Space dwarf FTW!

Enosh said:
drw40k04bydarealwurld40k.jpg

drw40k05bydarealwurld40k.jpg
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19628768&postcount=251

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
fizzelopeguss said:
Chaos is human nature manifested in the warp.

It's not only human. Also, the Chaos Gods are inherently evil.

Kalnos said:

Because Chaos literally eat/feed on the souls of living things.

Herla

Alienshogun said:
It's not only human. Also, the Chaos Gods are inherently evil.

Eeeeh I don't know about that...Nurgle seems a pretty cool guy.
Also Khorne is not all about "blood and violence" but also courage and honor.

At least they're honest.

Salazar

I just hope the chainsword arrives early on in the game. Because the combat knife seems a bit puny and undignified.

My copy will arrive a bit later on, having ordered a physical copy on PC from overseas and waiting for the mailman.

All of a sudden also very hyped for the slower-pace of the multiplayer. Like tank warfare or perhaps relegating my need for a new Heavy Gear unnecessary - despite the obvious differences.

Ultra
marine
keen. And still able to accept Tau as one of the finest additions to the 40K universe. How could you dislike a species with such lovely rifles, let alone a symbiotic concordat with the Kroot!?

I hope the multiplayer will be amazing and have a very long life, but I have my doubts!

Will there be unlockables enough to sustain the game for years and years?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Kalnos said:
Yeah, no one is 'good' in 40k though. IIRC the Imperium sacrifices thousands of psykers a day (or is it a year?) to keep the Emperor alive.
A day.

And according to Warhammer 40k Wiki site, the Golden Throne is breaking down.

Salazar said:
I just hope the chainsword arrives early on in the game. Because the combat knife seems a bit puny and undignified.

'Chu talkin' 'bout, mang? I think a combat knife in any game is pretty badass. I doubt the footage posted earlier does the knife justice, seeing as the guy playing hardly had a grasp of the 'stun > execute' mechanic. Hopefully there are some truly brutal executions tied to it.

Castor Krieg said:

I would call a race that seeks to survive and otherwise avoids conflict to be good in comparison to every other race who actively seeks out to destroy or subjugate everyone else.

Salazar

mickcenary said:
'Chu talkin' 'bout, mang? I think a combat knife in any game is pretty badass. I doubt the footage posted earlier does the knife justice, seeing as the guy playing hardly had a grasp of the 'stun > execute' mechanic. Hopefully there are some truly brutal executions tied to it.

You make a decent point. He was pretty crap.

Any gaffer on twitter mind asking Raph if the Exterminatus mode can be played solo ?

http://twitter.com/#!/raphlife

Top Bottom