• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

HeadlessRoland said:
I would call a race that seeks to survive and otherwise avoids conflict to be good in comparison to every other race who actively seeks out to destroy or subjugate everyone else.

Depends on the craftworld the eldar is from. Biel-tan and Saim-han would fuck your shit up for just being in their vicinity. In fact Biel-tan are actively attempting to restore the empire and eradicate other races.

Dommel

This game does everything right to make you feel like a complete bad ass. Especially if you've just slaughtered a horde of orks and you execute the last one in slowmo, blood spattering everywhere.

I'm about 3 hours in and the combat is very intense (playing on normal). Game looks really good. I'm not that knowledgeable about the Warhammer universe but it's cool to see the Space Marines treated as gods/saviours/lords by normal people you encounter instead of being just another grunt there to do the dirty work.

Tried the multiplayer as well. I wouldn't call it slower paced as it can be very frantic sometimes. And there are already level 35 players running around.

The only slight annoyance is the load time when you die and have to restart a checkpoint.

Salazar

Dommel said:
Game looks really good.

There looked to be a heap more environmental effects in the French preview vid I watched and posted earlier. Looked like they made a huge difference.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Will there be unlockables enough to sustain the game for years and years?

I'm guessing that sustenance will come in the form of hyper-addictive process of unlocking armor permutations, ala Halo Reach. I really dig games that let you customize your avatars to such an extent. It also helps that Space Marines look pretty fucking cool.

What's so addictive about this game is the flow. It's so satisfying to just be "in the zone" and power through the demo on Hard, obliterating Nobs with tasty executions. It's exactly what I loved about Arkham Asylum, in that the mechanics/animations are just so stylized and great to look at, yet the superb balance of 'easy to pick up, hard to master' isn't compromised.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
mickcenary said:
I'm guessing that sustenance will come in the form of hyper-addictive process of unlocking armor permutations, ala Halo Reach. I really dig games that let you customize your avatars to such an extent. It also helps that Space Marines look pretty fucking cool.

What's so addictive about this game is the flow. It's so satisfying to just be "in the zone" and power through the demo on Hard, obliterating Nobs with tasty executions. It's exactly what I loved about Arkham Asylum, in that the mechanics/animations are just so stylized and great to look at, yet the superb balance of 'easy to pick up, hard to master' isn't compromised.

I'm worried about the MP aspect. I foresee the assault class guys as being extremely OP.

Kalnos said:
Yeah, no one is 'good' in 40k though. IIRC the Imperium sacrifices thousands of psykers a day (or is it a year?) to keep the Emperor alive.
Reading this kind of stuff sours me a bit on the lore and here's why...

...sacrificing thousands of psykers (I'm assuming this is a race of beings of some kind) per day? thousands, really?

It's just too over-the-top to believe. It reminds me of something in Mass Effect where they mention "4 trillion people at stake across the galaxy"... "4 trillion"? really? That's 4000 billion or 571 Earths worth of people... yeah okay I'm expected to let my imagination believe that. Should've just said tens of billions. Same deal with sacrificing thousands of psykers per day.

Anyone know what I'm saying? hard to explain lol

Heavy said:

...sacrificing thousands of psykers (I'm assuming this is a race of beings of some kind) per day? thousands, really?

It's just too over-the-top to believe. It reminds me of something in Mass Effect where they mention "4 trillion people at stake across the galaxy"... "4 trillion"? really? That's 4000 billion or 571 Earths worth of people... yeah okay I'm expected to let my imagination believe that. Same deal with sacrificing thousands of psykers per day.

Pskyer just denotes "wizard" they are all human. Well the ones being sacrificed for the astronomicon are. There are untold trillions in the Emperium. They also don't burn out instantly. Its a prolonged process I imagine weeks/months at least a days.

Alienshogun said:
I'm worried about the MP aspect. I foresee the assault class guys as being extremely OP.

Assault is your standard SM, yep? And Tactical the SMs with jetpacks and whatnot? We can only hope that Relic have stumbled upon some nice balancing formulae.

My main concern with MP is the melee. I mean, most people will want go in close for the kill, so if your melee system is only as competent as Uncharted 2's, then it's going to be PRETTY fucked. It seems like something that needs relatively zero lag to function as intended, which worries me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
HeadlessRoland said:
Pskyer just denotes "wizard" they are all human. Well the ones being sacrificed for the astronomicon are. There are untold trillions in the Emperium. They also don't burn out instantly. Its a prolonged process I imagine weeks/months at least a days.

Yeah, they aren't "sacrificed," so much as they burn the fuck out.

mickcenary said:
Assault is your standard SM, yep? And Tactical the SMs with jetpacks and whatnot? We can only hope that Relic have stumbled upon some nice balancing formulae.

My main concern with MP is the melee. I mean, most people will want go in close for the kill, so if your melee system is only as competent as Uncharted 2's, then it's going to be PRETTY fucked. It seems like something that needs relatively zero lag to function as intended, which worries me.

Yeah, the jetpack ones. I see them potentially breaking the game.

Narag

Heavy said:

I get what you're saying but that's part of the charm. Everything's over the top to the point of silliness yet it is played straight.

Salazar

Heavy said:
It's just too over-the-top to believe.

They've had millennia to grind down their moral inhibitions about anything they need, or appear to need, to do in order to survive. It's ridiculous but not untenable in the imaginative scheme of the thing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Heavy said:

It's just too over-the-top to believe. It reminds me of something in Mass Effect where they mention "4 trillion people at stake across the galaxy"... "4 trillion"? really? That's 4000 billion or 571 Earths worth of people... yeah okay I'm expected to let my imagination believe that. Should've just said tens of billions. Same deal with sacrificing thousands of psykers per day.

Well, in a galaxy with millions of solar systems, it's not outside the realm of possibility that there would be 571 "earths."

Salazar said:
They've had millennia to grind down their moral inhibitions about anything they need, or appear to need, to do in order to survive. It's ridiculous but not untenable in the imaginative scheme of the thing.

He means the numbers and scale not the morality (I think). Billions of worlds! Thousands sacrificed daily! The year 40,000! Ships with crews of tens of thousands that are 10 miles long and shoot ordinance the size of jet airliners!

Alienshogun said:
Well, in a galaxy with millions of solar systems, it's not outside the realm of possibility that there would be 571 "earths."
I guesssss I could try to imagine that...
HeadlessRoland said:
He means the numbers and scale not the morality (I think). Billions of worlds! Thousands sacrificed daily! The year 40,000! Ships with crews of tens of thousands that are 10 miles long and shoot ordinance the size of jet airliners!
Yes, that's what I mean.

Salazar

HeadlessRoland said:

I guess some folks might have a problem with it.

But that shit is awesome.

JdFoX187

Banned
Isn't the over-the-top nature of 40K part of its charm? I mean the Space Marines alone are so ridiculously modified and crazy with their abilities that it they're a personification of everything that is 40K.

Besides, 38,000 years into the future, it stands to believe that you would have some absolute batshit insane technological improvements. Then again, from what I've read, most of the technology of the universe in the present tense is just recycled and reused from thousands of years prior. Either way, with that much time to explore the galaxy, it's not that hard to believe that there wouldn't be trillions of humans across the galaxy.

JdFoX187 said:
Isn't the over-the-top nature of 40K part of its charm? I mean the Space Marines alone are so ridiculously modified and crazy with their abilities that it they're a personification of everything that is 40K.

Besides, 38,000 years into the future, it stands to believe that you would have some absolute batshit insane technological improvements. Then again, from what I've read, most of the technology of the universe in the present tense is just recycled and reused from thousands of years prior. Either way, with that much time to explore the galaxy, it's not that hard to believe that there wouldn't be trillions of humans across the galaxy.

Funny thing is their technology has been declining for 10's of thousands of years. Its essentially magic, real science is basically heresy. Which is why we get space swords!

Imperium of Man is supposedly trillions of people. Just have to go with it since everything in Warhammer is over the top.

Billions of worlds!

Kalnos

Banned
HeadlessRoland said:
Funny thing is their technology has been declining for 10's of thousands of years. Its essentially magic, real science is basically heresy. Which is why we get space swords!

Yeah. The magic part is funny because it seems to imply that if the Emperor ever died everyone would be fucked. They wouldn't be able to travel to defend their worlds.

You guys may be right. If you really think about it... 38,000 years into the future. Now think about how much technology has advanced in the past 20 years with the Internet, wireless tech, incredible advances in medicine and pharmaceutical tech, all the electronics and military stuff as well.

And that's just in the past 20 years. Now try to imagine 38,000... or how about even 1000? It's unfathomable. Our brains can't fathom the type of advances that could be made in thousands of years.

As for the "trillions" of people... I did read somewhere that our galaxy has billions of solar systems and in each of those solar systems is 50 billion planets. Might have been the other way around (billions of galaxies, I forget lol). Anyway, trying to imagine the scale of that is impossible... our brains can't handle it.

In this sense, I guess it's possible to imagine the scale of WH40k in terms of trillions of humans and so on.

Tacitus_

Heavy said:

Bleh, the Imperial Guards losses are measured in billions per day. A thousand psykers is nothing.

Tacitus_ said:
Bleh, the Imperial Guards losses are measured in billions per day. A thousand psykers is nothing.
Really? billions of soldiers per day getting killed? Sigh... I was just getting over the trillions of people thing and now this... lol

Heavy said:
In this sense, I guess it's possible to imagine the scale of WH40k in terms of trillions of humans and so on.

Emperium has millions or billions (can't recall which it doesn't really matter) of colonized worlds. Many of those worlds are nothing but endless cityscape from horizon to the near the core of the planet.

But what is really absurd in the scale of the Emperium there are only 1 million or so Space Marines. And are restricted to 1,000 per chapter (a few deviances from this exist). Which is such a tiny number they would be all but useless.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Heavy said:
Really? billions of soldiers per day getting killed? Sigh... I was just getting over the trillions of people thing and now this... lol

IG are basically the tyranid of humanity, haha.

I think I'll spend some time reading The Galaxy Must Burn tomorrow and give the Space Marine demo another go round at some point during the day.

Tacitus_

Heavy said:

Yup. That's what they get for trying to up against Chaos, 'Nids or Orks armed with flashlights and paper mache armor.

E: There are approximately 32,380 Hive Worlds in the Imperium -- Billions of people can live crowded together in a single Hive-city.

And then there's the Death Worlds and the farm worlds supplying everything with food.

So do the books really flesh out the scope of the things we've been talking about... does it go into detail and describe it really well? Or does it just casually mention billions of these worlds, trillions of that race without much detail?

Salazar

My Steam preload is going so slowly it might just be finished on time for tomorrow.

What the fuck at that True Son of the Emperor achievement. 40,000 enemies (all game modes).

Narag

Salazar said:
What the fuck at that True Son of the Emperor achievement. 40,000 enemies (all game modes).

Sounds awesome.

HeadlessRoland said:
But what is really absurd in the scale of the Emperium there are only 1 million or so Space Marines. And are restricted to 1,000 per chapter (a few deviances from this exist). Which is such a tiny number they would be all but useless.

Well we all remember what happened last time they formed legions.

Heavy said:
So do the books really flesh out the scope of the things we've been talking about... does it go into detail and describe it really well? Or does it just casually mention billions of this, trillions of that without much detail?

The Horus Heresy novels take place during the formation of the emperium. This time period till this series of novels came out was "mythic." Its basically revealing shit hinted at for untold decades in the setting.

Horus Heresy novels and The Inquisition War trilogy is where you should start it at. HH novels will explain the entire setting to you. Most other novels are limited to a single Inquisitor or segmentum or Space Marine Chapter. Universe is too vast to really include it all in a novel. Basically the imperium is as big as it needs to be, haha.

Critically it makes little sense but thats half the fun.

Tacitus_ said:
Yup. That's what they get for trying to up against Chaos, 'Nids or Orks armed with flashlights and paper mache armor.

E: There are approximately 32,380 Hive Worlds in the Imperium -- Billions of people can live crowded together in a single Hive-city.

And then there's the Death Worlds and the farm worlds supplying everything with food.
I wonder how many concurrent Steam users they have.

markot

Banned
Salazar said:
My Steam preload is going so slowly it might just be finished on time for tomorrow.

Available: 8 September 2011
This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 14 hours

Thursday for Aussiestralia!

Tacitus_

Heavy said:
So do the books really flesh out the scope of the things we've been talking about... does it go into detail and describe it really well? Or does it just casually mention billions of these worlds, trillions of that race without much detail?

Not really. It touches on the vastness of it all but...

0zQjt.jpg

I think that's the Milky Way and the Imperium controls it all. And they're losing.

Tacitus_

mickcenary said:
Ha. I'll give it a shot, but I'm not making any promises. To be honest, the 40K universe doesn't resonate with me THAT much.

Please don't chainsword-rape me.

Hah, it's the ultimate power fulfillment fantasy! You should definitely check out the Imperium article, the Space Marine one and maybe one of the opposing races.

Fjordson

I love the ridiculous scale of the 40K universe. I always have the sense that the Imperium is this sprawling, bloated thing in danger of collapsing in on itself.

I haven't read much yet so I don't know if it's intentional, but that's the vibe I get.

Fou-Lu

Fjordson said:
I love the ridiculous scale of the 40K universe. I always have the sense that the Imperium is this sprawling, bloated thing in danger of collapsing in on itself.

I haven't read much yet so I don't know if it's intentional, but that's the vibe I get.

Very intentional. 40k is basically written as a setting in which humanity as a civilization is at death's door.

HeadlessRoland said:
The Horus Heresy novels take place during the formation of the emperium. This time period till this series of novels came out was "mythic." Its basically revealing shit hinted at for untold decades in the setting.

Horus Heresy novels and The Inquisition War trilogy is where you should start it at. HH novels will explain the entire setting to you. Most other novels are limited to a single Inquisitor or segmentum or Space Marine Chapter. Universe is too vast to really include it all in a novel. Basically the imperium is as big as it needs to be, haha.

Critically it makes little sense but thats half the fun.
Thanks, this sounds great. I'm going to buy the first one and see how it is http://www.amazon.com/dp/1849701121/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Fjordson said:

Essentially it is perpetually on the brink of collapse but various factors and people keep it from tipping over. It is done to give it a sense of excitement and that anything could push the entire universe over the brink.

Its been collapsing for 10,000 years. And before that had already gone through a "Dark Age" dwarfing the 40k setting. Basically the peak of humanity occurs 20k+ years ago and off page.

Top Bottom