• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

RyanDG

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, isn't that why they originally didn't go in with Blizzard?

Final Liberation was released in 1997 and it is a lot closer to anything that Blizzard was doing with Starcraft/Warcraft approximations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Liberation

With that said, for those looking for a good table top esque experience (turn based, randomly generated terrain, great skirmish mode with a lot of options), Final Liberation is a grossly under-rated game. Just a shame it has a lot of problems on modern computers.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
RyanDG said:
Final Liberation was released in 1997 and it is a lot closer to anything that Blizzard was doing with Starcraft/Warcraft approximations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Liberation

With that said, for those looking for a good table top esque experience (turn based, randomly generated terrain, great skirmish mode with a lot of options), Final Liberation is a grossly under-rated game. Just a shame it has a lot of problems on modern computers.

I got your back, here's some gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfV0Cpm0Dw&feature=related

Dennis

Banned
daedalius said:
The Imperial Fist shot Draco in the head while they were in the webway...
I didn't understand what the fuck happened in the end. What happened to the Hydra conspiracy?

I know this is ancient history and GW doesn't give a fuck anymore but I love that story arc. It was so much more that the fan fic wank that the Black Library puts out these days.

daedalius

DennisK4 said:
I didn't understand what the fuck happened in the end. What happened to the Hydra conspiracy?

I know this is ancient history and GW doesn't give a fuck anymore but I love that story arc. It was so much more that the fan fic wank that the Black Library puts out these days.

Well, Jaq invoked Tzeentch after whats-her-face ran off in the eldar's body, and the Imperial Fist shot him in the face, the end.

While I really enjoyed Jaq's story, I have to say I enjoyed Eisenhorn's and Ravenor's stories more from the perspective of the Inquisition. There are a lot of good books from BL, just nothing from Goto, and some of the HH books are kinda meh.

Dennis

Banned
daedalius said:
Well, Jaq invoked Tzeentch after whats-her-face ran off in the eldar's body, and the Imperial Fist shot him in the face, the end.
wat

I think my mind is being violated by Chaos right now.

bigdaddygamebot said:
The guys who are psychos about painting and modeling and fiddling with the miniatures.

They could turn the whole fucking thing electronic...charge the same prices for electronic copies of the different models and miniatures and I would play because...

...easier to find opponents.

...easier to "paint" and customize your models.

...easier to store your models (read: nothing to store)

...easier to keep track of all the rules.

Between the "computerized" version and "real-life" version...they'd make a killing.

Not gonna happen, they have an outright monopoly on a market that's giving them revenues of over a £100 million a year. To rewrite the rules of the wargaming/miniature market by going completely digital is opening the door for a company with even MORE clout to wipe them out. ie blizzard/wizards of the coast Hasbro.

They've found their niche for the forseeable future. little toy soldiers, plastics tooling technology that gives them an edge over their competitors and farming out their highly valuable IP to videogame companies for big rewards, and practically zero risk.

deim0s

@fizzelopeguss
I thought with their latest financials they're losing money already?

AlStrong said:
It needs to be Sisters of Battle in a Slaaneshi plot. :p

I'll request some Daemonettes in the mix... two boobs are nothing!

They made a profit and paid a 5.6 million dividend this year. the main issue for their financials is that in the UK, the retail sector has been hammered in recent years and GW has a large presence in that sector.

God. I have never played a demo so much. I really need to stop, lest I want to sour my full-game experience. IT'S THAT GOOD, THOUGH.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sorry for posting a repeat question, but does PC-GAF prefer pad or KB/M for this game? I'm about to try the demo and I'll probably hop on the D2D deal if it's as good as I expect.

Orayn

Snuggler said:
Sorry for posting a repeat question, but does PC-GAF prefer pad or KB/M for this game? I'm about to try the demo and I'll probably hop on the D2D deal if it's as good as I expect.
Feels like more a pad game to me. Analog movement is really nice to have, button mashing melee feels better with face buttons, and none of the shooting is twitchy or precise enough that the analog stick is a huge detriment. I'd reconsider this while playing a Tac Marine in multiplayer, but I'd go pad for campaign at least.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Snuggler said:

I tried both and had a much easier time with KB/M.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks guys. I played for two minutes, alt+tabbed, then bought the game. This is right up my alley. In my very brief experience with the demo, the KB/M controls seemed great, so it's nice to know that both options are valid.

Preloading this bitch right now. :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Did not enjoy the demo at all. Combat felt sloppy. Like they were trying to mesh Dynasty Warriors with a shooter, with neither the melee or shooting mechanics feeling strong. It just felt awkward while playing it.

At best, its looking to be a 5$ steam sale a year from now if I want to give it a full try.

Salazar

duffyside said:
Embargo for reviews on this? I take it it's release day; is there a good reason for that, or should we be nervous?

I don't give a fuuuuuuuuck.

oDY3V.jpg

Does he look like he cares what the Giant Bomb/IGN tards say ?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
shintoki said:
Did not enjoy the demo at all. Combat felt sloppy. Like they were trying to mesh Dynasty Warriors with a shooter, with neither the melee or shooting mechanics feeling strong. It just felt awkward while playing it.

At best, its looking to be a 5$ steam sale a year from now if I want to give it a full try.

Sorry to hear that. :( I've been playing the demo and the first thing that strikes me about it is how fun I find the combat. Blasting Orc's feels great but I like that it plays like an action game as much as a shooter. I can dart around and tear them bitches up with my chainsaw as I occasionally dish out some pain on distant enemies with my bolters, the flow of combat seems great.

jediyoshi

shintoki said:

I don't follow the Dynasty Warriors point. They clearly aren't throwing unmanageable mindless hoards of enemies at you and you never have to resort to flailing the melee button until they're all gone.

I'd say they nailed the shooting all the way down to the minute details of how the camera zooms in and out of aiming and how hefty all the shooting feels. It's really unlike Dynasty Warriors in that it's actually satisfying to kill dudes when their bodies explode into clouds of blood.

Salazar

They're still not saying whether or not you can fill up the co-op with AI companions.

Which I'm praying for, really.

daedalius

shintoki said:

Don't understand this. What game has such tighter controls that this feels sloppy?

Bufbaf said:
I guess I keep waiting for the Warhammer 40k strategy game of my dreams, featuring round battles, a virtual movement ruler and the original rules from the tabletop game, together with awesome animations, missions and storyline.

:(

On PSP Warhammer 40K: Squad Command does an admirable job of transferring a lot of the elements of the tabletop game into a digital format. It's not perfect - the lack of a free-rotatable camera for one is the egregious of omissions - but it's damn fine regardless.

Fuck-awesome Trailer

It was released on DS as well, but it's a much better title on PSP.

Fou-Lu

Well the demo was awesome, this game is so brutal, totally captures the feel of 40k. Also is actually hard on hard difficulty. I want full game now.

Salazar said:
I've not read it. Abnett is typically pretty damned good, though. He can make Imperial Guard books awesome.

Outside of Catachans, it's not hard to revel in the pyrrhic glory that is the IG. If the battlefield isn't littered with your fellow guardsmen upon your victory, it just isn't as sweet.

Don't get me wrong, Space Marines of any sort are awesome, but it's the little fellows of the Imperium that are my personal heroes.

22651_md-Cadians,%20Imperial%20Guard,%20Meltagun.jpg

Fou-Lu

Also, if you want to read about Eldar, Path of the Warrior and Path of the Seer are probably the only good Eldar novels out there.

For Chaos Marines, the only good one I've read is Soul Hunter, about my favorite Legion the Night Lords. Great book.

daedalius

Pylon_Trooper said:
On PSP Warhammer 40K: Squad Command does an admirable job of transferring a lot of the elements of the tabletop game into a digital format. It's not perfect - the lack of a free-rotatable camera for one is the egregious of omissions - but it's damn fine regardless.

Fuck-awesome Trailer

It was released on DS as well, but it's a much better title on PSP.

Holy shit, I would totally play that if I had a DS or PSP. They've gotten a lot of use out of those DoW2 assets, lol.

Ichor said:
Also, if you want to read about Eldar, Path of the Warrior and Path of the Seer are probably the only good Eldar novels out there.

For Chaos Marines, the only good one I've read is Soul Hunter, about my favorite Legion the Night Lords. Great book.
I'll check these books out as well,

I dont know much about any of warhammer stuff...The only thing I know is people play a tabletop game that has kick ass miniature figures that everyone paints up to look badass. So im just kind of looking for a starting pointing.

I really don't think an electronic version of the tabletop game (a la MTGO) would take off unless prices were substantially lowered.

Even more than MTG, Warhammer is about physically owning the collectibles and painting them yourself and displaying them. Not nearly as much about the game itself (for many reasons including obvious ones such as being much, much harder to get a game going).

I doubt GW would regard an electronic tabletop game as a threat to the core business.

DennisK4 said:
wat

I think my mind is being violated by Chaos right now.

He realizes how corrupt and insane he has been acting and wants to die. So he says a bunch of stuff to get the SM to kill him.

There is nothing to understand about the last books plot beyond Jaq going insane. Book is so weird its disorientating to read. It is the best representation of what going insane due to the influence of chaos I have ever read.

derFeef

MesserWolf said:
I'm really excited for this game although I must say that I'm a bit disappointed by its cinematic trailer .

Dawn of war games used to have awesome cinematic trailers in cg .

exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX2v_cTG3K8
exhibit B : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu4ABhVd28U

and this is the one for SM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zhGQqJu7BQ .... meh. not terrible , but not great either.
I wouldn't compare a CG intro to a pre-release trailer, but the announcement trailer from 2009 is still the best imho. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOp3mMcYdU

Fou-Lu

FieryBalrog said:
I really don't think an electronic version of the tabletop game (a la MTGO) would take off unless prices were substantially lowered.

Even more than MTG, Warhammer is about physically owning the collectibles and painting them yourself and displaying them. Not nearly as much about the game itself (for many reasons including obvious ones such as being much, much harder to get a game going).

I doubt GW would regard an electronic tabletop game as a threat to the core business.

I agree, 40k is expensive, I don't buy the models just to play a game, I buy them for the entire experience of assembling and painting them and having my own personal badass army of future soldiers.

Like the Eldar Guardian I just assembled, sure they're not the best unit in gameplay, but this squad leader looks like a boss ready to fuck you up.

Herla

Apparently the game comes out on the 6th in some european countries, can anyone confirm that?
Now I really hope they send me my key in time :(

FeD.nL

Herla said:
Apparently the game comes out on the 6th in some european countries, can anyone confirm that?
I got my pc version yesterday (holland). So hopefully steam unlocks it tuesday, releasedate on the site of a major online retailer over here also gives the date 6/9/11

Xater

Herla said:

Yes, the German release is on the 6th.

There also is now special edition or pre-order bonus in Germany so the standard edition comes with the golden Bolter, the Space Marine skins and the Chaos Marine skins.

derFeef

Xater said:
Yes, the German release is on the 6th.

There also is now special edition or pre-order bonus in Germany so the standard edition comes with the golden Bolter, the Space Marine skins and the Chaos Marine skins.
Ohhh I did not notice that.
This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 13 hours
I am pleased.

Top Bottom