• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Kalnos said:
Do what we think is best or we remove you? :p Though at least the Tau aren't attempting genocide.

The only real species that aren't in the "Varying Degrees of Evil" category are the Eldar. Everyone else:

Imperium
T'au
Ork
Chaos
Dark Eldar
Tyranids
C'Tan/Necron

^^

All those are varying degrees of evil. Can't say the T'au aren't evil, when they're "Space Commies" with their whole "Join us, or die" mentality with the "Greater Good" nonsense. The Imperium. Jesus H. Christ. You do know they sacrifice their own kind, just to bless the BULLETS the Grey Knights use to...you know....kill demons with? Yeah, that's just one area of "Wowzers, that's fucked up...." Orks? C'mon, they're freakin' Orks. Nids? Everything is lunch to them. Dark Eldar? Seriously....evil as fuck. "Hey, let's take 20 years to kill this guy and get our jollies off in the process!" Necrons? "Hey, we're going to consume the galaxy every 50,000 years, until then, we're all taking a really long nap." Chaos? Basically the the "non pretty" version of T'au, wherein even if you do join them, there's a really good chance, yer still fucked at any moment.

Heavy said:
So do the books really flesh out the scope of the things we've been talking about... does it go into detail and describe it really well? Or does it just casually mention billions of these worlds, trillions of that race without much detail?

The codices, RPG books etc have a shitload of backstory of planets and sectors.

Dark heresy is set in the calixes sector, deathwatch in the jericho reach and so on.

HeadlessRoland said:
Emperium has millions or billions (can't recall which it doesn't really matter) of colonized worlds. Many of those worlds are nothing but endless cityscape from horizon to the near the core of the planet.

But what is really absurd in the scale of the Emperium there are only 1 million or so Space Marines. And are restricted to 1,000 per chapter (a few deviances from this exist). Which is such a tiny number they would be all but useless.

A million worlds, forge and hive worlds are precious few in the grand scheme of things...their manufacturing and manpower output ensure they're the crown jewels in the empire. Think of them like the capital/big cities in a country and everyone else like the buttfuck towns and villages.

Space marines aren't the army, they don't garrison for example. They have their own fleets and first strike capability. They're the guys who drop pod down and take out the enemy general, fuck up the communications and supply lines and leave the enemy wondering wtf just happened. It's the imperial guard that do the dying on the front lines.

Fou-Lu

DiatribeEQ said:
Can't say the T'au aren't evil, when they're "Space Commies" with their whole "Join us, or die" mentality with the "Greater Good" nonsense.

How are Tau commies? They live in a caste based society, total opposite to communism.

Tacitus_

DiatribeEQ said:
The only real species that aren't in the "Varying Degrees of Evil" category are the Eldar.

Hogwash. Eldars routine decisions include things like this: "Let's sacrifice this world with billions of humans just to save a few eldar".

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ichor said:
How are Tau commies? They live in a caste based society, total opposite to communism.

lol.

You do realize communism is an ideal type right?

In practice, communism IS a caste system.

Salazar said:
Yeah, Eldar are ruthless, horrible motherfuckers.

Damn all you folks who get to play this tomorrow.

Eldar who follow the Path of the Exile or the Path of the Warrior (for too long for example) can be extremely ruthless, sure. But as a whole, they look far more like good guys, when compared to everyone else. I say this, even as a Space Wolves player as my army of choice.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
DiatribeEQ said:
Eldar who follow the Path of the Exile or the Path of the Warrior (for too long for example) can be extremely ruthless, sure. But as a whole, they look far more like good guys, when compared to everyone else. I say this, even as a Space Wolves player as my army of choice.

Seriously, regular eldar are probably the most "good" out of the bunch.

Tacitus_

DiatribeEQ said:

Saying that they look good compared to the other races isn't saying much when the Imperium - ie the one we're supposed to feel similar to - sacrifices a thousand psykers a day to run their space age lighthouse and is a combination of spanish inquisition and nazism.

So yeah.

Tacitus_ said:
Hogwash. Eldars routine decisions include things like this: "Let's sacrifice this world with billions of humans just to save a few eldar".

More like "We foresee we will are going to lose a few of our dwindling population what can we do to avoid it."

Big difference.

Tacitus_

HeadlessRoland said:
More like "We foresee we will are going to lose a few of our dwindling population what can we do to avoid it."

Big difference.

Well the eldars orgies created Slaanesh and spawned either the Eye of Terror or a similar place, so they deserve everything coming to them.

Actually, glory to the eldar for the birth of Slaanesh. And glory to the Chaos Gods!

Brothers, I
hopefully
see a slew of terrific mission packs for this. One I'd like to see would be a clash between a combined Space Marine/IG fleet (seriously, a pack of Dauntless vessels scream 40K Hornblower) and the Hive Fleet Behemoth. Titus and his mob assaulting the Leviathan over Macragge. Not sure how Space Marine fits in terms of timeline, but aboard a Tyranid ship...the horrors within.

Showdown with carnifexes (Old One Eye fight would be immense) and hive tyrants. But hey, just spitballing.

Salazar

First 15 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEI_LESS9Ls

Do not watch if you are easily infuriated by people in videos who don't play very well/don't do what you would do.

[the video isn't me, obviously. I have to wait until GOD DAMNED THURSDAY]

The ork dialogue sounds quite a bit more varied.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Brothers, I
hopefully
see a slew of terrific mission packs for this.

I am praying that this is the case. Or at least that I can play Exterminatus solo.

The best thing, perhaps, about the game coming out is that I no longer have to suffer the fucking wasteland that is the official forum.

Salazar said:
First 15 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEI_LESS9Ls

Do not watch if you are easily infuriated by people in videos who don't play very well/don't do what you would do.

[the video isn't me, obviously. I have to wait until GOD DAMNED THURSDAY]

The ork dialogue sounds quite a bit more varied.
Why spoil the first 15 minutes for yourself when the game is just day(s) away!! Go dark, don't spoil anything

Salazar

Heavy said:
Why spoil the first 15 minutes for yourself when the game is just day(s) away!! Go dark, don't spoil anything

*Shrugs*

There are orks. Lots of them. I have to reduce them to mush.

This is the axis of the narrative and of the action. I have known this for a while.

Gotchaye

"Ought implies can" and all that. The Imperium and especially the Eldar are arguably doing what they have to do. In the case of the Eldar, you can even argue that letting a billion humans die to save a handful of Eldar makes a fair amount of sense given what can happen to Eldar if their soul stones get damaged. A thousand psykers a day to make it possible for trillions to get by likewise seems pretty worth it (I note that many of these psykers would end up going crazy and killing themselves and others).

The "Tau = commies" thing is not saying that they have a perfect communist society. It's saying that they look like Soviet Russia or Maoist China. There's lots of propaganda (and the fact that their codices are written as propaganda creates a lot of disagreement as to what's actually going on) and strong implications that there's some mind control-ish thing going on with their leadership caste (who seem to have been created by the Eldar or one of the Necron gods).

Salazar said:
I am praying that this is the case. Or at least that I can play Exterminatus solo.

The best thing, perhaps, about the game coming out is that I no longer have to suffer the fucking wasteland that is the official forum.

You're GAF's wordsmith misanthrope. This thread won't be the same without you!

In regards to expansion packs, even from the demo I've come to believe there's a solid foundation for so many fantastic things in terms of expansion missions, new xeno-scum to stamp out, different chapters - even to the point of the ol' switcharoo and playing Chaos.

Are we getting ahead of ourselves? I'm not sure, but this is one of the few games I would happily accept a slew of DLC for.

Salazar

Pylon_Trooper said:
This thread won't be the same without you!

This thread is awesome. But the game's official forum, which I've lurked for info, is just painful to read.

They seem to be almost exclusively emphasising MP and co-op DLC: largely because that is just something that most developers do, first off, and because it's the area in which the initial release is going to be a bit light. There are going to be an awful lot of map/weapon/mode releases for MP and Exterminatus before we get any mission stuff, I guess. And whatever they say, I think they're profoundly unlikely to slot new weapons into the campaign, because they seem quite insistent on this being a designed experience and not a 40k sandbox with all of the toys.

And even typing "40k sandbox with all of the toys" makes me goddamn quiver.

Salazar

Sneaky Gato said:
So what are the
other space marine chapters
doing on the planet?

Didn't think there were any in the campaign.

Space Wolves are busy doing something cooler, tougher, more awesome.

Man, I really thought the Ork voices would improve with the retail build. Seems like the demo ones weren't placeholders afterall.. =/

"Come and get me Spehs Mehreen". Really.

Dawn of War 2 does it SO much better, what happened Relic?

Chiggs

Gold Member
I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the demo. It's really fun, and the gameplay is unlike anything I'd expect from Relic.

Picking this up this week for sure.

CaLe

Just pre-ordered this on steam.

Please share all the books / games I should read / play to prepare myself.

Fascinated by the universe for some reason, but never got around to really delving into it.

markot

Banned
Well, Eldar probably see Humans as a more benign form of Tyranid >.> given how sprawling humanity is, and how dwindling they are, you can kind of understand how they are willing to use whole planets and sectors of humans to try and save the few eldar craftworld thingys that are left.

And it sucks that these days, every goddamn game has to have mp as a focus >_< but thats the world we live in. I guess in the age of rentals and pre owned software, they have to try and make it feel like a more than a 10 hour game. Hell even portal 2 did it >.<;

Salazar

CaLe said:
Please share all the books / games I should read / play to prepare myself.

The Horus Heresy books - especially
The first three - Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames
Battle For The Abyss
A Thousand Sons
Flight of the Eisenstein

Eisenhorn omnibus.
Ravenor omnibus.
Ciaphas Cain omnibus.

The Gaunt books by Dan Abnett.

Chapter omnibuses - especially
Space Wolves
Soul Drinkers
Grey Knights

The collection of short stories: Let The Galaxy Burn.

The artbook/universe guide The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions.

deim0s

Pylon_Trooper said:
Brothers, I
hopefully
see a slew of terrific mission packs for this. One I'd like to see would be a clash between a combined Space Marine/IG fleet (seriously, a pack of Dauntless vessels scream 40K Hornblower) and the Hive Fleet Behemoth. Titus and his mob assaulting the Leviathan over Macragge. Not sure how Space Marine fits in terms of timeline, but aboard a Tyranid ship...the horrors within.

Showdown with carnifexes (Old One Eye fight would be immense) and hive tyrants. But hey, just spitballing.

I'm thiinking a mission that in the times of the Horus Heresy. (possible but unlikely for GW to allow)

Being Garro, witnessing the horrors in Isstvan V - Escaping your chapter's ship and fighting your former battle brothers to relay the Horus' treachery to the Emperor.

CaLe

Salazar said:
The Horus Heresy books.

Eisenhorn omnibus.
Ravenor omnibus.
Ciaphas Cain omnibus.

The Gaunt books by Dan Abnett.

Chapter omnibuses - especially
Space Wolves
Soul Drinkers
Grey Knights

The collection of short stories: Let The Galaxy Burn.

The artbook/universe guide The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions.

Thanks alot.

In any particular order ?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe some of you people think the Eldar are not evil.

Tyranids aren't EVIL, they just consume. There is nothing shitty about it.

Tau at least parley with their adversaries instead of eating their souls.

Orks are bad-hearted but hardly evil.

Everyone else is evil save the Necrons, and nobody knows exactly what the fuck they're up to.

Salazar

CaLe said:
Thanks alot.

Nope. But if you are reading the Horus Heresy ones, it's good to read the first three in order. Because they are basically the chronologically-ordered set-up for events that the rest of the books treat from different angles but at more or less the same time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:
Yeah, Eldar are ruthless, horrible motherfuckers.

Damn all you folks who get to play this tomorrow.
Tomorrow? I thought it was released in the states on the 6th and on the 8th in Europe?

CaLe said:
Thanks alot.

If you read the Eisnhorn/Ravenor Omnibus' out there, read them in that order:

1) Eisenhorn
2) Ravenor

As the events in Ravenor take place after Eisenhorn

As for which/what to read, you can start reading the Horus Heresy line of books (currently up to 16 books & growing), all telling the big story that sets up the events that is in current 40k universe (re: Horus Heresy stuff is set in the 31st Millenium vs. the 41st Millenium that almost everything else you'll read will take place in).

Personally, I loved the Space Wolves Omnibus' (2 of them containing a total of 6 books worth of material for that Space Marines Chapter) plus the recent "Battle of the Fang" book that also was Space Wolves (set after the Horus Heresy, but before current 40k timeline).

deim0s

@CaLe

No order... you just get what you want to read and start from there.

Eisenhorn omnibus.
Ravenor omnibus.
Ciaphas Cain omnibus.

These omnibuses tells three different characters of the Inquisition, so pick one to start. Should give you some insight to the Imperium, the cities, and the arms of the Inquisition.

The Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibuses are about an Imperial Guard regiment books. Where the IG are most of the time outnumbered and outmatched by almost every war/mission they're in.

Any of the SM omnibuses are good, just note that the Soul Drinkers ain't a your regular chapter. GK's are mainly fight against demons. SW are almost everyone! ;)

@40KGAF
Is there a Necron or Tau based book?

Usually I'd ask for some semblance of relaxation to descend up those suffering tardy release dates...but this is war.

If it makes you feel any better, Salazar...the Japanese release date for Deus Ex is this week, and Steam being what it is has left me without the game despite pre-ordering it ye olde ages back. However, it'll tide me over until Space Marine gets here.

Top Bottom