• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Orks are the only good race in Warhammer. Come on, they just do stuff because they were made like that. They don't do it because it's morally evil.

Salazar

zoner said:
Come on, they just do stuff because they were made like that.

They do appear to enjoy it, though.

Fjordson said:
Shiat, video's private =(

Alas.

Story spoilers, lol.

Titus freefalls onto an ork cruiser, fucks up a bunch of low and mid-tier orks with his combat knife and basic bolter, and then turns a heavy artillery piece on the cruiser's control deck, sending it slamming down onto the forge world's surface. He crawls out of the wreckage and fights his way back to rendezvous with his squad.

I think the guy was playing on easy or normal. He comes under some reasonably intense fire but there's not much melee resistance.

Tacitus_ said:
Hogwash. Eldars routine decisions include things like this: "Let's sacrifice this world with billions of humans just to save a few eldar".

Kryptman and the highlords diverted hive fleet leviathan into Octavius space, who knows how many billions of greenskins/unnamed species that's wiping out.

Boogdud

FieryBalrog said:
Man, I really thought the Ork voices would improve with the retail build. Seems like the demo ones weren't placeholders afterall.. =/

"Come and get me Spehs Mehreen". Really.

Dawn of War 2 does it SO much better, what happened Relic?

I have to say the orks in Space Marine are just not cockney enough, not even close.

Salazar

Boogdud said:
I'd say the same thing about the Tyranids as well.

I would put the orks somewhere very slightly above a rabid dog and the Tyranids somewhere below, with respect to their degree of moral awareness.

Still breaks my balls that Relic won't say if co-op teams can be filled up with AI. Now is surely the time to spill the fucking information. The game is releasing into a stupidly competitive window; I don't know how they've rationalised dicking around with keeping details hush hush.

deim0s said:
I'm thiinking a mission that in the times of the Horus Heresy. (possible but unlikely for GW to allow)

Being Garro, witnessing the horrors in Isstvan V - Escaping your chapter's ship and fighting your former battle brothers to relay the Horus' treachery to the Emperor.

I don't see GW having problems allowing that - the scene is already set in the books, everything is explained and described, you are not really making new canon. The problem I see is showing the mass scale of the battle - thousands of Space Marines, Titans, etc.

Mechazawa

Salazar said:
The game is releasing into a stupidly competitive window; I don't know how they've rationalised dicking around with keeping details hush hush.

Anyone who was overly concerned about a minute feature for a mode that's set to drop a month after launch is already pretty vested in the game and probably isn't a make-or-break issue for sales.

Honestly, it's better to assume it won't be there.

Salazar

Mechazawa said:
Anyone who was overly concerned about a minute feature for a mode that's set to drop a month after launch is already pretty vested in the game and probably isn't a make-or-break issue for sales.

Honestly, it's better to assume it won't be there.

It's not a make or break issue for sales, but it's ridiculous for their line on it to be "we will tell you closer to release" - when it's already a mode that has been delayed past release.

And I don't know how strong the assumption is that a mode requiring four-player teams will be very robustly used into the future. And if it is an exclusively online four-player thing, there's an absolute fuckton of content (allowing also for a fuckton of online focused DLC) that is being sequestered from offline gamers. Or folks who, at least, don't do online MP. Who basically get to play as Cap'n Titus through a campaign and that's it.

derFeef

I wonder where the reviews are. Dead Island reviews are coming in and the release date is the exact same. I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow.

Salazar said:
It's not a make or break issue for sales, but it's ridiculous for their line on it to be "we will tell you closer to release" - when it's already a mode that has been delayed past release.

And I don't know how strong the assumption is that a mode requiring four-player teams will be very robustly used into the future. And if it is an exclusively online four-player thing, there's an absolute fuckton of content (allowing also for a fuckton of online focused DLC) that is being sequestered from offline gamers. Who basically get to play as Cap'n Titus through a campaign and that's it.
Well, offline gamers will have a hard time getting the DLC anyway, I guess.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
derFeef said:
I wonder where the reviews are. Dead Island reviews are coming in and the release date is the exact same. I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow.
Some here said the embargo will be gone today and if that's true I guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.

fizzelopeguss said:
Kryptman and the highlords diverted hive fleet leviathan into Octavius space, who knows how many billions of greenskins/unnamed species that's wiping out.
I think that was actually just Kryptman and a few Deathwatch, since the Carta Extremis had already been issued.

Twinduct

mickcenary said:
My lord! Is too much to axe for just ONE review!?
Your avatar is freaking me out for some reason! Stop staring into my soul!
No idea on review embargos, but everything from the demo screams 'decent', so will most likely be in the 8+ range.

Is this also unlocking tomorrow for NA?
Or is the 9th the global unlock?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Twinduct said:
Your avatar is freaking me out for some reason! Stop staring into my soul!
No idea on review embargos, but everything from the demo screams 'decent', so will most likely be in the 8+ range.

Is this also unlocking tomorrow for NA?
Or is the 9th the global unlock?
6th in the US, 9th in Europe, don't know about the rest of the world.

Twinduct

Keiician said:

Thanks, so assume reviews will be out tomorrow. Not that it really effects me. Already bought it on the license and dev alone heh :p

Salazar

Keiician said:

8th in Australia.

Gives me one day to play it before I have an all-day seminar and then a trip out to the middle of nowhere to write about some daft festival.

derFeef

Castor Krieg said:
Alright, Steam keys started showing up on Polish auction site for 25EUR. C'mon, go cheaper, sub-20EUR and I'll bite! ^^
K3BAP.jpg

Des0lar

will learn eventually
For those who can wait. Cdkeysdirect has the key for 21.99€ but they get keys later than the release date. Haven't found anything on the net that says they're not legit, albeit a bit slow.

Personally I ordered from g2play since they have the keys on release date. but prices fluctuate a lot and I got it when it was a lot cheaper than now.

Salazar said:
8th in Australia.

Gives me one day to play it before I have an all-day seminar and then a trip out to the middle of nowhere to write about some daft festival.

Salazar's Notes:

- First speaker...boorish, dull.
- Second speaker...

*scribble of an Ork being cut in half and a righteous Marine atop a mount of greenskin corpses, Thunderhawks soaring overhead*

fizzelopeguss said:
The codices, RPG books etc have a shitload of backstory of planets and sectors.

Dark heresy is set in the calixes sector, deathwatch in the jericho reach and so on.

I dont play the TT or RPG at all and I still read that shit. Its great entertainment, cool art.

Salazar said:
Better believe I am gunning for that 40,000 orks achievement. It will just take me a little longer.

The God Emperor would expect nothing less.

And, to follow Glaurung's magnificent posts, there is no such thing as overcompensation of motivation and thirst for battle in this thread.

We. Are. War.

Ken

Anyone know if the preorder skins will ever be made available as DLC later? Thinking about picking this up with Disgaea 4, but I'm not sure if I have time to go to Gamestop and preorder or if it's even too late to preorder already.

Salazar

Ken said:
Anyone know if the preorder skins will ever be made available as DLC later?

I think they said no, but I think the shit you can create looks better than most of the preorder skins.

It's satisfying to look at those ranks of hardass motherfuckers in that picture and conceive of each as having at the very least the destructive potential demonstrated in the demo.

Ken

Salazar said:
I think they said no, but I think the shit you can create looks better than most of the preorder skins.
Okay, thanks. So the Gamestop skins are just a texture and those helmet models are still available in game without preorders?

Salazar

Ken said:
Okay, thanks. So the Gamestop skins are just a texture and those helmet models are still available in game without preorders?

I think so. The customizer looks like something you'd end up using and preferring anyway. I wouldn't go out of my way to get any of the bonus skins.

raiot

In German Mediamarkts you can buy the game since Saturday. I bought the collectors edition for PS3. A friend bought it for PC and has to wait until tomorrow to activate it on steam!

derFeef

Ken said:
There are ready-made chapter sets, but you can use individual parts of them as well. So I think those parts from the pre-order skins/set are not available then.

Twinduct

Salazar said:
Real talk: if that shit isn't in, Relic is a developer that holds back fun.

It will just be a repeat for the last stand from DOW2 for me. Why can't we play this with just two peeps!!
Relic better not disappoint! I need solo a horde mode! With my latency and the game's niche in my friend circle, I'll never be able to play this online!!

Glass Rebel said:
Great, got Space Marine today (all skins + golden bolter), registered on Steam and can't play it. FUUUUUUUUUUU-

The little extra we pay to have the game steamworks :D

derFeef

raiot said:
In German Mediamarkts you can buy the game since Saturday. I bought the collectors edition for PS3. A friend bought it for PC and has to wait until tomorrow to activate it on steam!
Impressions? :)

raiot

I could only play it for around 30 minutes but i really liked it! The only thing that bothered me was the german voices of titus and especially the orks. After 5 minutes i switched my PS3 to english, only to discover that the orks still sound... un-orkish?

Top Bottom