• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

glaurung

raiot said:
I could only play it for around 30 minutes but i really liked it! The only thing that bothered me was the german voices of titus and especially the orks. After 5 minutes i switched my PS3 to english, only to discover that the orks still sound... un-orkish?
Interesting... Didn't they claim that the demo voices were placeholders and that the final voices would be more ork?

Corto

Can you hear them? They're coming... Just a few hours. Almost here.
2qvwhee.gif

derFeef

glaurung said:
Interesting... Didn't they claim that the demo voices were placeholders and that the final voices would be more ork?
They are pretty much in line with the DoW Ork voices, I don't think they will change. Their british slang makes half the charm.

Twinduct said:
Where in the EU are you? Check the Steam store page. I was surprised when it said it will unlock on the 6th for me as well (Austria).

Salazar

derFeef said:
They are pretty much in line with the DoW Ork voices, I don't think they will change. Their british slang makes half the charm.

There seem to be quite a few more phrases, too. In that first 15 minutes vid I posted (since made private, dammit), they were saying a few different things. Situational things, too - "AAARGH, THE HUMAN IS ON HIS OWN".

Twinduct

derFeef said:

Where in the EU are you? Check the Steam store page. I was surprised when it said it will unlock on the 6th for me as well (Austria).

Well Technically, not EU, South Africa. But My games on Steam has been unlocked on par with UK/ EU releases.

'Available: 9 September 2011
This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 12 hours '

So close, yet so far!

Was tempted to pick the game up on PS3 here at the local Mediamarkt in Holland (Utrecht), but I didn't because I need to save up for Holidaymageddon. Sadly I believe this game will go to 30 euros fairly soon. I will pick it up though eventually because I'm a 40K nut.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
derFeef said:
09.09 here in Poland. :/

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Twinduct said:
GAME barring thing again? That's pretty annoying :<

Indeed.

Although I guess I have just pre-ordered through ShopTo downloads for £22, which is essentially a Steam CD key.

Twinduct

Label said:
Indeed.

Although I guess I have just pre-ordered through ShopTo downloads for £22, which is essentially a Steam CD key.

ShopTo has great prices! Sadly our import customs woke up after a few years and started to tax games like crazy. Use to get games at close to 50% lower than local prices. Thanks to the wonders of 100% Tax import, it's close to the same as local prices, if not a bit more expensive :p

I honestly don't hope that GAME's strategy against DD migrates to other markets!

JoeBoy101

Ken said:
Okay, thanks. So the Gamestop skins are just a texture and those helmet models are still available in game without preorders?

NO! If you look at the comparison between the models, the Gamestop skins have differences beyond textures. Let me see if I can find the applicable picture comparisons.

284426_10150321737433552_104558368551_9266403_1821656_n.jpg

282436_10150321736968552_104558368551_9266399_6105180_n.jpg

See, differences in the actual model that you can't get from the customizer. That's why I swallowed my pride and went Gamestop on this one. The Space Wolf model is quite nice.

Salazar

Huh, I was wrong, again.

I must be purged, again.

Are THQ getting much in-store promotion in return for screwing UK Steam folks ?

Twinduct

Salazar said:
Huh, I was wrong, again.

I must be purged, again.

No idea of in-store. But their online offering is none existing.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/
http://www.game.co.uk/

On another note, PC version of the collector's version is sold out in South Africa. Nice

Holy shit, I should have gone retail!! All four armor packs!
Oh well, Blood ravens live on!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Corto said:
Can you hear them? They're coming... Just a few hours. Almost here.
2qvwhee.gif

No no. False alarm. It's just all that corn I had for lunch.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Twinduct said:
On another note, PC version of the collector's version is sold out in South Africa. Nice
Holy shit, I should have gone retail!! All four armor packs!
Oh well, Blood ravens live on!

South africa only has one store that sells games?
Damn, must be harsh.

On another note, i decided to NOT buy Deus Ex and get this instead, im still broke now, but i think ill have more fun with Space Marine, hoepfully the only community doesnt die in a month.

Black Templars for the win!

Counting down the hours now!

Twinduct

Black_Stride said:
South africa only has one store that sells games?
Damn, must be harsh.

On another note, i decided to NOT buy Deus Ex and get this instead, im still broke now, but i think ill have more fun with Space Marine, hoepfully the only community doesnt die in a month.

Black Templars for the win!

Counting down the hours now!
Of course not, but they are one of the only, if not only, retail chains that completely focuses on games. So when a store like that runs out of the CEs, it's pretty much means that either there was a real low amount of orders for it, or it's selling well.

Dynoro

Salazar said:
Huh, I was wrong, again.

I must be purged, again.

There is nothing in either GAME store in my town to warrant the lack of Steam. I find it totally appalling tbh that a store can wield such power over a dev/franchise like this. Anyway; really looking forward to the game itself (Relic aren't to blame for sales fubar)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I just might pull the trigger on getting a preorder so I can get in on the midnight release. But, I do love my sleep. ^.^

Figured I'd play through the demo one more time today in anticipation of the full game tomorrow. And I blew two Ork's heads off with a single shot from the sniper rifle...Oh my God. Can't wait for this.

JoeBoy101 said:
NO! If you look at the comparison between the models, the Gamestop skins have differences beyond textures. Let me see if I can find the applicable picture comparisons.

284426_10150321737433552_104558368551_9266403_1821656_n.jpg

See, differences in the actual model that you can't get from the customizer. That's why I swallowed my pride and went Gamestop on this one. The Space Wolf model is quite nice.

Oh yeah, once again they give props to Wolf Lord Ragnar's Great Company. So nice looking!

pelican

Dynoro said:
There is nothing in either GAME store in my town to warrant the lack of Steam. I find it totally appalling tbh that a store can wield such power over a dev/franchise like this. Anyway; really looking forward to the game itself (Relic aren't to blame for sales fubar)

I don't think there was any concrete proof that the relationship between THQ and Game is anything to do with the lack of Steam availability.

I doubt it personally since there are even bigger releases still available on Steam. Some of which will generate far bigger income for Game e.g. MW3, Skyrim than Space Marines will.

Even so when you go into a Game store their PC section is hardly a key factor in the layout. PC games selling through Steam can hardly be making that big an impact on the bottom line.

Dynoro

dogmanstaruk said:
I don't think there was any concrete proof that the relationship between THQ and Game is anything to do with the lack of Steam availability.

I doubt it personally since there are even bigger releases still available on Steam. Some of which will generate far bigger income for Game e.g. MW3, Skyrim than Space Marines will.

Even so when you go into a Game store their PC section is hardly a key factor in the layout. PC games selling through Steam can hardly be making that big an impact on the bottom line.
Fair play; just found a statement from GAME denying it . I do think its mighty odd that neither Space Marine nor Saints Row 3 are available on Steam in the UK though (both being THQ multiplatform titles). Both PC Gamer and Eurogamer have asked THQ why this is but have got no reply. But they did have a special agreement going in the UK with someone

Boogdud

derFeef said:

How exactly are they in line with the DoW voices? They're totally different. The DoW (and warhammer online for that matter) are completely awesome rowdy idiotic cockney accents (which suits them perfectly). The voices in space marine are milktoast brittish accents that sound like a documentary narrator compared to the DoW voices. I'm pretty bummed that they didn't change the voices.

in short:

DOW ORKS =
Flash+Gordon+Prince+Vultan+of+the+hawkmen+flash12.gif

Space Marine Orks =
50556_82704878446_3320066_n.jpg

theDeeDubs

This is the first time I've been swayed from Amazon prices for a preorder bonus. I need that Space Wolf skin though.

panda21

Dynoro said:
Fair play; just found a statement from GAME denying it . I do think its mighty odd that neither Space Marine nor Saints Row 3 are available on Steam in the UK though (both being THQ multiplatform titles). Both PC Gamer and Eurogamer have asked THQ why this is but have got no reply. But they did have a special agreement going in the UK with someone

metro 2033 (its a THQ game I think) was only available in the UK from GAME or non-steam download sites afaicr. I had to buy a disc in GAME just to get the code to register on steam, since its a steamworks game.

I wouldn't be surprised if space marine doesnt release on steam in the UK for a month or two.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Why we have no long impressions here yet, even though some GAFers already got the game? Not fair at all!

Boogdud

Kinda sad they didn't put horns on the chaos marine helms (not even the nice pre-order ones). They end up looking like just renegade SM factions. :(

derFeef

Boogdud said:
How exactly are they in line with the DoW voices? They're totally different. The DoW (and warhammer online for that matter) are completely awesome rowdy idiotic cockney accents (which suits them perfectly). The voices in space marine are milktoast brittish accents that sound like a documentary narrator compared to the DoW voices. I'm pretty bummed that they didn't change the voices.
They are more grunty in the strategy games maybe. But I agree, I just watched the german gameplay and the orks are horrible there, not mentioning the Space Marines even - my god it's bad. Playing it in english for sure.

Boogdud said:
Kinda sad they didn't put horns on the chaos marine helms (not even the nice pre-order ones). They end up looking like just renegade SM factions. :(

Well, you have to remember that not all Iron Warriors you see (or Chaos Space Marines in general) have to look all "Horned Out". Some could've just recently switched to Chaos from whichever previous chapter they once were (re: Abaddons' Black Legion is HUGE from defections). Others who follow Tzeentch just haven't had much of "the change" happen to them. Honestly, unless you're a Plague Marine following ole' Nurgle, you're not guaranteed to see this OMFGWTF change in appearance in every case.

But I do have to agree that chaos marines don't look all that different from space marines besides a few spiky bits and a horrid colour scheme.

Which probably means that world eaters won't really look like world eaters. Which makes me sad.

Worldeater.jpg

Edit: But then again. The only class in MP that has access to melee weapons on the chaos side is the Raptor? Except I don't think there were any world eater raptors, so it kind of makes the whole thing moot anyways. Maybe I am wrong.

Morphis

I have procured this game. In a store. In Europe. Before the US release date. Nothing makes sense anymore...

I like this new world.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any Steam key deals going around? AU prices are, as always, out of this world.

Herla

EatChildren said:
Any Steam key deals going around? AU prices are, as always, out of this world.

G2PLAY has them for 40% off right now, but I don't know how much of a deal that is in other countries (it's 30€ here, so pretty good).

Top Bottom