• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Kalnos

Banned
tgsstanceonponies.png

CaLe

Kalnos said:

I just clicked on this thread and the first thing I see is this picture. I'm in love and this by itself justified my pre-order.

On another note, where the hell are the reviews ? Embargoed until..?

I liked the demo but I can't say I'm superhyped about the game now. I LOVE the setting but the gameplay just didn't didn't scream Day 1 to me.

I'll admit I haven't followed the game as closely as the rest of you so I'm hoping there are elements I'm unaware of that are not represented in the demo. I really hope the game does well and there is a sequel made. If I had to niggle, I would say that I wish the guns were a little more effective.

Snowballo

Two questions for the fans of the brand that are also X360 owners.

1. How good is in your opinion the console version of this game?
2. How good is this game compared to Gears of War?

I tried the demo (a lot of times up to hard difficulty settings). It reminded me to a funny version of GOW and I liked it very much. It seems deep too.

Tell me. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Snowballo said:
Two questions for the fans of the brand that are also X360 owners.

1. How good is in your opinion the console version of this game?
2. How good is this game compared to Gears of War?

I tried the demo (a lot of times up to hard difficulty settings). It reminded me to a funny version of GOW and I liked it very much. It seems deep too.

Tell me. Thanks.

1. How on earth should someone know that by now?
2. Gears of War has a totally different playstyle, less close combat, focus on covering, etc. Basically, GoW is the cowardly brother who just happens to look better :(

No really, there's no "better" or "worse" I'd say. The Warhammer bonus helps, of course.

daedalius

I'd say the demo runs silky smooth on the PC and the 360, and I prefer the controller for the actual gameplay; but mouse/kb works well too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
daedalius said:
I'd say the demo runs silky smooth on the PC and the 360, and I prefer the controller for the actual gameplay; but mouse/kb works well too.

In my experience, they seemed pretty even. Both are valid options, so for me it came down to analog vs. mouse aiming, so I went with KB/M.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Speaking of Space Wolves I picked up the Space Wolf Omnibus by Will King a year or two ago and it was a lot of fun. Great deal getting three books in one too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Love the Space Wolves' design and didn't know that particular pic, thanks for that!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
derFeef said:
That space wolf dreadnought is boss. I have like 10 40k books on my shelf, have not started one yet :/
They can be so much fun to read. Do it do it do it. I think I'm gonna pick up the Abnett stuff soon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I hope that the jetpac is used often, I love that part of the demo. Something just feels right about crushing Ork's from above.

Narag said:
I'm surprised there isn't a wh40k book thread given how popular they seen to be.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about in this thread, but Space Marine has piqued my interest in the Warhammer universe. I have Retribution so I'll probably give it a shot when I'm done with Space Marine.

zon

Chinner said:
you guys are going to hate me... i've played the demo and the combat is really fun and stuff... but is there more to the game than just mindless, stylis' killin'?

HERETIC! BURN THIS CHAOS FILTH MY BROTHERS!

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I liked the demo but I can't say I'm superhyped about the game now. I LOVE the setting but the gameplay just didn't didn't scream Day 1 to me.

I'll admit I haven't followed the game as closely as the rest of you so I'm hoping there are elements I'm unaware of that are not represented in the demo. I really hope the game does well and there is a sequel made. If I had to niggle, I would say that I wish the guns were a little more effective.

Yeah, there needs to be a little bit more to the gameplay, but some more melee moves might be unlocked at some later point, who knows?

I had a hard time noticing getting hit (except for the health dropping).

The whole experience could do with a little more weight. The weapons especially, does Relic know what kind of ammo those weapons fire? They feel more like regular pistols than what I would imagine a bolter feels like.

Other than that I do love the setting and am a big 40k fan (read a lot of the books) so I hope this does well.

LEGGZZZZ said:
Wow, I hope the sequel looks more like this.

That's the cover for the Space Marine Battles book: Battle of the Fang, by Chris Wraight. It's a great book, btw. The Dreadnaught on the cover is (most likely) Bjorn the Fell-Handed.

Gav47

Just got my CD key, only €16, to bad I have to wait til Thursday night.
Can you go into cover in the multiplayer a la Gears of War?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Darklord said:
No, these space marines are men. They get hurt, smash a head in to heal.

For sure. Even though stunning + executing feels a little clumsy at times, it's a welcome alternative to hiding and waiting for health to autoregen.

Ken

JoeBoy101 said:
NO! If you look at the comparison between the models, the Gamestop skins have differences beyond textures. Let me see if I can find the applicable picture comparisons.

I see. I really liked the Black Templar helmet but the game came out today in retail here so it's too late to walk in and pre-order anyways. Oh well.

Gav47

Darklord said:
No, these space marines are men. They get hurt, smash a head in to heal.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HFfFzDzQY4o/TU6s97PgDFI/AAAAAAAAADg/aXTcJtt1n9A/s1600/drive-me-closer_-i-want-to-hit-them-with-my-sword.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

So you can do the same to other Space Marines as you can to the Orks in singleplayer, that's not so bad then at least it will reward taking a more close range approach to the combat.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
derFeef said:
Well guys, it's midnight but I am playing Space Marine RIGHT NOW!

You lie. :(

At least I know I won't have to wait around for it to unlock tonight. Impressions please!

Top Bottom