• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Ken

Glass Rebel said:
Also, fuck Yoshinori Ono. I don't know why I followed him on twitter.

c0560382.jpg

Think I'll pick up Space Marine later when I head back to my college apartment with a better internet connection. I'm most interested in the Exterminatus co-op mode in October, so hopefully there will be a good population of players/gaffers for that game mode when it releases.

I really cannot reiterate it enough. Been a fanboy of Relic's work since I first left a burning Kharak in the solitary wake of the Mothership's engine wash...by God, do they make lovely looking games.

Homeworld, Company of Heroes (although, Men of War has my heart in that department...even with whatever measure of jank), DoW...even The Outfit! But Space Marine really takes the cake.

Whatever engine they're using or have crafted, it's good. It's damn good.

Salazar

Sinatar said:
It's apparently running on a modified version of the Darksiders engine.

Darksiders II, which makes this a sort of stupendously successful test-run, I guess.

Currently putting in some goddamn work on the demo. Running on pure rage.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Okay. This game is boss. Too fucking boss. Looks fantastic, so fucking smooth, great music and best of all, I feel like a badass mother fucker while playing it. PC version of course.

Unity2012

Gosh, loved the time spent in SP and my ventured to MP.

By the way, those who pre-ordered from Gamestop, the Elite Space Pack might not unlock for some this morning; but it will soon according to the Official Site.

I tried the MP and got seriously raped. My glorious score was like, one kill for every game, LOL! Seriously, it is different and really fun. It is sooo cool to see most characters be different, lucky those who already unlock the Customizer! some of the models look sick!

My eyes are bleeding, 2:38AM been up since 4AM yesterday; and I must get some rest... but later today I will find revenge!

Mechazawa

zon said:
Yeah, why even compare a fucking awesome game like W40K: Space Marine to a shitty knockoff like GoW?

GoW? Shitty knockoff? The fuck is wrong with some of you.

Anyways, the demo doesn't do the full game justice simply by virtue of being too short. Once you get your shit going, you get your shit going. Everything just moves so smoothly and you start changing between ranged and melee at the perfect moments and at the drop of a dime.

Also, chainsword is badass and all, but...I'm going to miss that head explosion execution from the starter blade.

zon said:
Yeah, why even compare a fucking awesome game like W40K: Space Marine to a shitty knockoff like GoW?

The zing you hear is that of a bolter round, merely clipping Fenix's bandana. The subsequent crackle, well...that's the bone-powdering force of a Cog's entire skeletal structure turning to blood-soaked cornflakes at the moment of impact.

I'm never one to incite fanboy flamewars, but damn, if these two gorefest hero franchises meeting head-on isn't the most ripe of forum stacks-on. :D

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Pylon_Trooper said:
Probably the only time I'll ever type such a thing, but a My Little Pony avatar accompanying mention of a thunder hammer does wonders for GAF Pony PR.
If it helps, I've got a CSM and Tau army right at home, a Mordheim set with lots of customized figures and a completely self-made CSM war jeep built from a WW2 model kit, together with a lot of self-made terrain stuff.
PonyGAF is not as lost as you might think it would be :>

Salazar

First, tenuously meaningful reviews slipping in.

Eurogamer Denmark: 8/10

They say it's bloody, enjoyable, could have used more depth in the weaponry. They mention Gears and God of War, obviously. They talk about "weapon sizes arising from latent penis envy". Wanted it to be longer, more colourful, and encompass more of the universe's variety.

Narag

Bufbaf said:
If it helps, I've got a CSM and Tau army right at home, a Mordheim set with lots of customized figures and a completely self-made CSM war jeep built from a WW2 model kit, together with a lot of self-made terrain stuff.

vg68906_heresy%20meter.jpg

red731

So I played the demo and really enjoyed myself.

Just nudge me to buy it. Bye bye Canon 60D

edit: damn, my wallet is getting raped this year

derFeef

Tried a little bit of multiplayer, and once I figured out I can mount myself as Devastator I actually killed some folks. But I can see the assault class dominating. Jump in, swing sword, done.

Herla

No Push to Talk in Multiplayer = OH MY GOD WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS RELIC
Seriously, put a couple of germans, a couple of french and a couple of idiots that don't realize the mic is on and keep playing with it and it's like the fucking Emperor's Children are in your ears playing their sweet music of death.

Oh and for those worried about Assault Marines/Raptors, they seem fairly balanced. It's really easy to die (expecially against Heavy classes, they won't go down with a single full combo) but still incredibly fun to play.

derFeef

PCGames.de has a review up.

82%
Great atmosphere, but gameplay is "only solid". Points of criticism are
- design faults (fury meter, ammo)
- some outdated graphics
- game concept worn out fast

Salazar

They mean the look, not the concept, of the fury meter, right ?

Increasingly apprehensive that Exterminatus will require full teams. A bogus decision, from my perspective, given that it is far from assured that this game will have a thriving online community into the future.

derFeef

Salazar said:
They mean the look, not the concept, of the fury meter, right ?

Increasingly apprehensive that Exterminatus will require full teams. A bogus decision, from my perspective, given that it is far from assured that this game will have a thriving online community into the future.
They mean it's cheap and some boss fights are designed for fury. Also they mean ammo is sparse, which is not true at all. Once I used the right weapons for the right things, I had enough ammo, even on hard.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Got my key, preloading now. Guess I'll activate it when it's done, waiting 3 more days = meh.

Bufbaf said:

A man after my own heart, especially with the Tau. (But shhhh about them...many around here seem to think they're the 40K Pony equivalent! Outrageous!)

Sethos

Banned
Let me get this straight, all the awesome models are pre-order incentives and then regular buyers will get some crappy generic models?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Seriously, why do Steam unlocks take so long? In the time this has taken, I could have gone to the store, bought it, and installed it.

Twinduct

zoner said:
Seriously, why do Steam unlocks take so long? In the time this has taken, I could have gone to the store, bought it, and installed it.

And then be greeted by a screen saying you have to wait x amount of days for it to unlock cause the game is steamworks? :p

Edit: btw the regional unlock thing is there so to play nice with retail.

Wazzim

Banned
A friend pursued me to buy this during class this afternoon, so I'm still downloading from Steam now. Can't wait to play it.

Xater

Ugh Amazon sent out out my game after 8pm yesterday. I seriously doubt I am still getting it today. Assholes....

weekendCONFIRMED said:
So that site is legit? Really tempting at $25. I have such a massive backlog though....ugh.

I used it also, payed with paypal and got my key right after the paypal payment went through. Great site!

Xater said:
Ugh Amazon sent out out my game after 8pm yesterday. I seriously doubt I am still getting it today. Assholes....

If you choose the release date delivery you should have no problems. They always wait to send mine out till late the day before

Top Bottom