• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Twinduct

@Volcynika sssshhh!

Can someone please post bad impressions?!

@Salazar Gabe won't notice >_>

But for reals now. I mean I've read people have been using this trick since F1 2010's release and have yet to be banned (or even be told off).

I mean I can argue that I was in the US today and only came back to SA on Friday? :p

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm using this trick as soon as the game preloads (that means in about 20 minutes).

Jinaar

This thread is like a scab over a wound trying to heal and all I do is pick at it pick at it pick at it the pain blood everywhere....

9 more hours to get through work and driving and a few responsibilities before being able to render Orks dead and my enemies in multiplayer even deader.

Can anyone confirm if the console versions will be available today (particularly in Canada)?

I figure I'm getting boned and have to wait an extra day because of the long weekend.

Twinduct

@Keiician :<
I really .... really want to do this!

brb, gonna go read up on people that got banned on steam, I need a reminder :|

Jinaar

bigdaddygamebot said:
Can anyone confirm if the console versions will be available today (particularly in Canada)?

I got called by Ebgames yesterday that I can pick my 360 copy here in Edmonton. A friend confirmed that in Vancouver he got the same call from the Gamestop he pre-ordered from that he can pick up his today as well. So yes, Canada is a go for today. (I am sure Bestbuy or Futureshop will have it easily enough. UPS and other places worked Sunday/Monday so expect orders to go thru)

Torraz

Really enjoying this game. I don't know why my copy in the EU already unlocked. According to gamefaqs this only releases in 3 days over here. Perhaps something to do with the digital key I bought?

I also really like how the tooltips/controls immediately switch from kb/m to gamepad when one touches either.

derFeef

Salazar said:
PC options are identical to the demo, correct ?
As far as I can tell, yes. They fixed the controller problem from the demo, though. You can have both plugged in and switch on the fly by just starting to use one or the other.

If anyone wants to play in 2 and a half hours from now let me know. I'm gonna play Dead Island and Space Marine all day till my evening class and then moar tonight !!!!1!!1 :D

Salazar

derFeef said:
As far as I can tell, yes. They fixed the controller problem from the demo, though. You can have both plugged in and switch on the fly by just starting to use one or the other.

That's sweet. My aiming when I was slamming into the ground on dudes was ok with gamepad, but it is a job for a mouse.

mujun

Just fired up my 360 version. Looks very nice, sharp and faithful to the fiction.

I can't wait to get some more powerful weapons, especially melee stuff, the low level weapons definitely feel satisfying to slaughter with but you can just tell that the real fun will come when you have a huge gun or hammer :)

MP seems a bit throwaway to me, take that with a grain of salt, though, I very very rarely bother with MP these days.

Looking forward to digging in more.

Oh, yeah, also liking the story presentation so far, seems really well done for and appropriate to the universe.

DaBuddaDa

How on god's green earth is it after 9:00 on launch day and there still isn't a single US review? You can't friggin' embargo a game past launch day!

Salazar

DaBuddaDa said:
How on god's green earth is it after 9:00 on launch day and there still isn't a single US review? You can't friggin' embargo a game past launch day!

Yeah. If I wake up in about 8 hours and there still aren't reviews, something is fucked.

Either embargo-overload or culpable apathy on the media's part.

Peterthumpa

Salazar said:
Yeah. If I wake up in about 8 hours and there still aren't reviews, something is fucked.

Not really... a lot of gaffers already saying that the game seems great... the demo was great.
Reviews will probably be around 8/9.

Jinaar said:
I got called by Ebgames yesterday that I can pick my 360 copy here in Edmonton. A friend confirmed that in Vancouver he got the same call from the Gamestop he pre-ordered from that he can pick up his today as well. So yes, Canada is a go for today. (I am sure Bestbuy or Futureshop will have it easily enough. UPS and other places worked Sunday/Monday so expect orders to go thru)

Love you.

I went Gamestop (I know), just so I can get the Black Templar skin.

I'm a Sister's of Battle guy and the Black Templar's "style" appeals to me. :D

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ok, the VPN trick worked, I can play the game now.
Funny thing is, I have my Steam set to Japanese and this game actually has menus (and subtitles I guess) in Japanese. I really hope that there are English voices or else I'll have to change the language.

Salazar

felipepl said:
Not really... a lot of gaffers already saying that the game seems great... the demo was great.
Reviews will probably be around 8/9.

I think the game will be superb, and I'm not surprised a bunch of gaffers think so.

But someone should have put out a review by now, unless they were compelled not to. Even allowing for pompous scorn for the license.

ced

Salazar said:

It's actually ridiculous they continue to do this. As if reviews were not getting more and more useless, they do something like this to seal the deal.

I don't usually go by the published reviews too much, but on this game I do want to read some. No offense to anyone but the majority of intrest and impressions in the thread are from PC gamers who like Relic or people into the Warhammer lore.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Phew, the Japanese is for subtitles only. I just wanted to check it and ended clearing the first objective, because it was just so much fun.

Twinduct

@keeician
Heh, I'm still tempted to do the vpn trick, but Rock Of Ages is also unlocking tomorrow, so if I do give into temptation, I'll have to wait until tomorrow anyway :p

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Twinduct said:
@keeician
Heh, I'm still tempted to do the vpn trick, but Rock Of Ages is also unlocking tomorrow, so if I do give into temptation, I'll have to wait until tomorrow anyway :p
Well, I want to finish SM singleplayer asap and maybe play so multiplayer, so this decision wasn't really hard for me. And I don't regret it ;p

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:

Games were sent out... we still haven't gotten our review copy yet. Don't know if it was a weekend/holiday mail issue or what, but it's not here.

I am dying to play this game, really and truly, so there's no apathy on my part.

Corto

ced said:
It's actually ridiculous they continue to do this. As if reviews were not getting more and more useless, they do something like this to seal the deal.

I don't usually go by the published reviews too much, but on this game I do want to read some. No offense to anyone but the majority of intrest and impressions in the thread are from PC gamers who like Relic or people into the Warhammer lore.

That is certainly a part of my enjoyment of this game, but you can be sure that even for a complete newcomer (I'm almost one myself) the game is really fun to play. The different weapons give some different ways to resolve the same situations, the melee/ranged weapons transitions are really fluid, and the fury mechanic is just great as a "save-my-ass" button. All-in-all a welcomed surprise of Relic into the TPS genre. On PC it runs like butter, I reckon you want some console feedback though? The demo is the best way to predict how the game will run on console. I played the PS3 one and it was competent enough. The darker zones lost some detail but nothing bad enough to negatively influence the gameplay. It run smooth too.

derFeef

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/06/wot-you-think-space-marine

Relic’s orkshoot came out today for people who happen to live in North America, but a mysterious and intractably evil force is preventing exactly the same collection of ones and zeroes from unlocking on PCs in other parts of the world. We’re not expecting Space Marine review code ourselves until a bit later this week – instead of being allowed access to the version already live across the pond – and, mysteriously and worryingly, no American reviews have been posted yet. Hmm. So, in the hope of offering some kind of buyer’s advice for folk the world over, let’s hear what you reckon to the stompy-stompy adventures of Ian Ultramarine.

What the hell THQ?

Corto

derFeef said:

gallery_120_271_16449.jpg

Salazar

I have a cunning plan.

This game has a limited period in which it can shift units on the back of some reasonable press responses, before the cavalcade of monster franchises hits.

Let's stop them from reviewing it. Let's wait.

Fucking brilliant.

Gav47

So has anyone actually lost their account by activating a game early. I'm considering activating it and keeping Steam offline til Friday.

Narag

Salazar said:
Is your style of play similar to how you approached the demo ?

Lol, El_TigroX - we cool.
In my case I played the demo on normal and it was just slash slash slash.

In the game proper it's this beautiful dance of melee/gunplay, enemy prioritization & isolation, and resource (ammo/grenades/fury) management. Probably sounds cooler than it is!

mxgt

Banned
Herla said:
It's really, REALLY fun. What more do you want?
Maybe more maps...

I just wanted to see some positive impressions instead. I know I'm going to have a blast with the SP but I'm hoping MP is awesome too

panda21

Dead island's shoddiness has me leaning towards this on PC. I like Chaos marines a lot, but find the Orks annoying... I wonder what the split is like gameplay wise.

Salazar said:
I consider all my fulmination against the shoddy PR of this game thunderously vindicated.

What the fuck. .

You must be hyped for this game to ditch the SNSD avatar for an Ork one.
sorry

I need more multiplayer impressions. Trying to decide between this and Deus Ex: HR (now that I have the funds to make wildly irresponsible purchasing decisions :p)

Is there persistent leveling in the multiplayer? Unlocks?

If the MP is good and has a persistent system, I feel like that will offer more replay value than DE:HR in the long run.

Salazar

panda21 said:
You must be hyped for this game to ditch the SNSD avatar for an Ork one.
sorry

:(

If anything, Taengoo is a goblin. Not a full-blown ork.

Yes, Panda. Get this game. Despite THQ's efforts to fuck them over, Relic have done a great thing.

Top Bottom