• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Arucardo

Ended up ordering this :) . I like Relic and I love Warhammer 40K so it's a no brainer.

EDIT: Heh awesome, a friend of mine was working there so I told him to open my game up and send me the key, just activated it on steam.

Philthy

NemesisPrime said:
Lol?

Seriously... lol?

I still don't know what people saw in Gears. Having been a WH40k fan long before GoW was released, I always saw it as a wannabe 40k game. It was good, but not great. The "Mad World" commercial was brilliant, though. 40K does have the advantage of a fully fleshed out universe. I mean, you're on a freaking TITAN FORGE WORLD in this game. It doesn't get any cooler than that.

derFeef

Reading the comments in this RPS article and everyone seems to hate it. How can anyone find the combat to be boring and shallow?

Tonza

Do you have to be offline in Steam if you unlock this through VPN?

It doesn't unlock until friday here and it's already preloaded. :(

DaBuddaDa

Salazar said:
I have a cunning plan.

This game has a limited period in which it can shift units on the back of some reasonable press responses, before the cavalcade of monster franchises hits.

Let's stop them from reviewing it. Let's wait.

Fucking brilliant.
Reviews work more towards pushing people away from purchasing a game rather than purchasing it. Those who already want it will buy regardless of good reviews, but may push some away if reviews are bad. Good reviews do not correlate with better sales. If it were up to publishers reviews would be banned altogether so they could have complete control of the PR of their game.

Summary: it's understandable why embargos exist.

Salazar

derFeef said:
Reading the comments in this RPS article and everyone seems to hate it. How can anyone find the combat to be boring and shallow?

Poorly explained, perhaps. You can certainly do quite a bit more than in a bunch of other third or first person shooty games. You just need a molecule of initiative and some patience.

I can understand the concept of embargoes, but this is going over the top. This looks like a combination of cowardice, manipulation, laziness and incompetence. I can't decide which of these elements is principally active, so THQ can have the fucking lot.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
DaBuddaDa said:
Reviews work more towards pushing people away from purchasing a game rather than purchasing it. Those who already want it will buy regardless of good reviews, but may push some away if reviews are bad. Good reviews do not correlate with better sales. If it were up to publishers reviews would be banned altogether so they could have complete control of the PR of their game.

That's absolutely silly. Good review don't have any correlation with higher sales, but poor review have a correlation with lower sales? Then only negative opinions matter and nothing anyone has mentioned to you about a game has ever swayed you to check something out?
I don't really buy it.

I know plenty of people that are fence-sitters when it comes to uncertain games. They will wait and either buy or not buy something depending upon trusted reviewers. That's happened for me and it happens for a lot of my game-playing friends. Hell, it happened two weeks ago with Deus Ex. One of my friends wasn't sure, but when he saw the positive reviews he went out and bought it.

There are plenty of people that made their minds up about a game the moment it was announced, but you have to understand that's a sliver of the reading audience. Take to Google keywords to see how many people searched "Game Title" and "review" together.

Narag

derFeef said:
Difficulty springs to mind, especially if they are able to wantonly kill without consequence.

DaBuddaDa

El_TigroX said:
That's absolutely silly. Good review don't have any correlation with higher sales, but poor review have a correlation with lower sales? Then only negative opinions matter and nothing anyone has mentioned to you about a game has ever swayed you to check something out?
I don't really buy it.
Good reviews do no correlate with increased sales and there is business data to prove it. I'll find the link.

Salazar

DaBuddaDa said:
Good reviews do no correlate with increased sales and there is business data to prove it. I'll find the link.

A game being invisible on Metacritic on release does not bode well for sales.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Gav47 said:
Very thing I've read suggests you stay offline til release day in case they block your account.
Yeah, you should be offline, but the reason is just that if you go online, the game will get locked again and you'll have to go through that VPN stuff again.

Corto

derFeef said:

It's a Third Person Shooter. You have rooms of enemies to point your reticule and shoot and if they come close enough or you're low on health use melee to plough through them. Is it shallow? Yes. But is it fun? YEEEEAHHHHH BABY! Nobody could realistically hope that this game would revolutionize the TPS genre. It's a good game, that tries to borrow some things from other games and wrap them in a rather enjoyable package.

Gav47

Keiician said:
Yeah, you should be offline, but the reason is just that if you go online, the game will get locked again and you'll have to go through that VPN stuff again.
Ah yes. Not only does it lock the game but I read somewhere it deletes the game content and makes you preload it again.

schragnasher

Neo Member
I'm loving this game, Relic knows exactly what 40k fans want. If you like 40k, you will love this game simply for the pure enjoyment of seeing the 40k world up close and spot on with all the fluff.

Its only a shame that GW will likely not let them make a game staring the IG. Stupid smurfs get all the love.

I would die for an exclusively IG game, fighting off a hive fleet perhaps? .... :/ *cries*

Unity2012

It does not matter how hard they try; THQ or any other new IP trying to find a place and enter the Market at this point will not be judge under the same light as the "Almighty upcoming sequels." These blockbuster games are already established, count with bigger "budgets" and a strong following.

I believe gamers will benefit from other gamers impressions and feedback, positive and negative before the reviews set in. Timing might be this game's weakest marketing strategy; however the Warhammer Universe is known well enough to at least attract a decent crowd; and I hope they do.

I feel it is time to support new efforts. I love good sequels but I welcome new ideas as well.

The game does not break any boundaries but it brings a great breath of fresh air to an over-saturated sequel market. The game is fun, different and it represents a Universe that offers a myriad of great possibilities in the near future.

I have not played the MP enough to make any judgments; but the single player is "pure fun," looks great, has a distinctive atmosphere and it runs smooth; and I am playing on the X360.

The thought of possible new faction additions, new environments, vehicles, etc., based on a Universe we are familiar with and we know, Relic knows and represents really well, it's nothing but exciting.

ironcreed

Banned
Unity2012 said:
It does not matter how hard they try; THQ or any other new IP trying to find a place and enter the Market at this point will not be judge under the same light as the "Almighty upcoming sequels." These blockbuster games are already established, count with bigger "budgets" and a strong following.

I believe gamers will benefit from other gamers impressions and feedback, positive and negative before the reviews set in. Timing might be this game's weakest marketing strategy; however the Warhammer Universe is known well enough to at least attract a decent crowd; and I hope they do.

I feel it is time to support new efforts. I love good sequels but I welcome new ideas as well.

The game does not break any boundaries but it brings a great breath of fresh air to an over-saturated sequel market. The game is fun, different and it represents a Universe that offers a myriad of great possibilities in the near future.

I have not played the MP enough to make any judgments; but the single player is "pure fun," looks great, has a distinctive atmosphere and it runs smooth; and I am playing on the X360.

Good post. Amazon is getting my copy of the PS3 version out today, so I should be good to go in a day or so. I ordered release day delivery, but Labor Day ruined that for me, lol.

Salazar

I'm not interested intellectually in the reviews THQ is ham-fistedly muffling.

I simply think it is a bad idea to hide on release a game that hasn't been all that strongly advertised. And mission DLC is dependent, I imagine, on very strong sales. I don't mind so much about the inevitable shower of skins and minuscule features. But I want it to do numbers sufficient for a little expansion.

daedalius

I don't get how people can say this is repetitive and then defend something else they play where you do the same thing over and over again. Pretty sure in Halo:Reach on legendary, I used the plasma pistol and DMR for about 90% of the encounters, and I didn't complain about it.

Are they expecting core game mechanic changes like, every level? No thanks.

Agree with Unity.

derFeef said:

The combat isn't boring in the 5 minute demo, but what is being shown is definitely pretty shallow. Because of that I can see how the gameplay would have trouble remaining interesting for the entire game.

daedalius

Fallout-NL said:
The combat isn't boring in the 5 minute demo, but what is being shown is definitely pretty shallow. Because of that I can see how the gameplay would have trouble remaining interesting for the entire game.

So, in what shooter does the gameplay remain interesting for the entire game then?

Salazar

Fallout-NL said:

You do fight different enemies in different places with different weapons and with a combat style somewhat more liberally designed than the shooters this will be judged against.

daedalius said:
So, in what shooter does the gameplay remain interesting for the entire game then?

Few games manage that. But the shooting side of things is decent enough in Space Marine. Perhaps the issue is more with the HtH combat, there's little more to it than mashing x and stun/executing something every once in a while.

Maybe some grabs/counters/parries would change things up a little. Does the full game have anything of that? Do you progress in terms of 'moves'?

Bazhard

Banned
The lack of reviews is disturbing, the fact that major sites don't have reviews in reminds me why i stopped going to those sites.

Going to pick up my copy in about an hour (ps3 version)

daedalius

Fallout-NL said:
Few games manage that. But the shooting side of things is decent enough in Space Marine. Perhaps the issue is more with the HtH combat, there's little more to it than mashing x and stun/executing something every once in a while.

Maybe some grabs/counters/parries would change things up a little. Does the full game have anything of that? Do you progress in terms of 'moves'?

I don't know, in every game that I've played where it is melee/combo based, I find 'the move'/'the combo' that I generally use 90% of the time, and it works. I didn't do this with Darksiders since I actually felt most of those moves were useful, and in Space Marine, all of the combos are useful in different situations, so I feel like I actually use them all.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
"Lol" is all I have to say about this port/translation fail in the Japanese version:

The text in the upper left corner says to leave the PS3 power on during saving.
Yes, this is the PC version.

Concept17

Bazhard said:
The lack of reviews is disturbing, the fact that major sites don't have reviews in reminds me why i stopped going to those sites.

Going to pick up my copy in about an hour (ps3 version)

Resistance 3 and Dead Island probably taking up the spotlight atm.

Gav47

Went with the VPN trick, worked fine. Played one match of multiplayer, imagine Gears with jetpacks and better melee.

Corto

Keiician said:
"Lol" is all I have to say about this port/translation fail in the Japanese version:
url]

url]

The text in the upper left corner says to leave the PS3 power on during saving.
Yes, this is the PC version.

I wouldn't turn off your PS3 just in case. If you don't have one, go buy it!

derFeef

Fallout-NL said:
It also did not get boring in the 5 hours I played so far. They mix it up pretty well and you have to keep up. If you fall into melee spamming too much, the enemies will tear you apart.

DaBuddaDa

If you scour Twitter, it seems the reason there aren't any reviews yet is because most sites aren't scheduled to receive review copies until later today.

Xater

DaBuddaDa said:
If you scour Twitter, it seems the reason there aren't any reviews yet is because most sites aren't scheduled to receive review copies until later today.

Basically THQ has no confidence in the game.

Corto

Xater said:
Basically THQ has no confidence in the game.

Which is crazy as this is only putting them more on the spotlight... I seem to remember THQ stock taking a hit with the not-so-good reviews on Homefront maybe they need to protect their stocks for a few days for some reason? Who knows? Is just crazy! And I'm sure the game will do fine as a competent TPS on reviews.

panda21

Salazar said:
:(

If anything, Taengoo is a goblin. Not a full-blown ork.

Yes, Panda. Get this game. Despite THQ's efforts to fuck them over, Relic have done a great thing.

wait thats Taeyeon?! i was trying to make a Hyoyeon joke. well that backfired.

i just realised i actually can't buy this on steam in the UK since its not for sale for mysterious reasons so I might wait :(

daedalius

I can't imagine it doing worse than DoW, which always does well, considering the 40k fanbase is generally rabid for new games, especially from Relic.

Although I don't think reviews do much to sell games in the first place, just look at that piece of garbage DNF, sold amazingly well even though just about every review crapped all over it.

DrBo42

Just played 30 minutes of it on Onlive, pretty damn cool. I know nothing about the Warhammer 40k universe but it does a good job of making you feel like a legend. I'm much more convinced by it here than I was in years of Halo, which is a bit sad. In any case, the combat does indeed seem shallow if there isn't more beyond combos and a fury meter, but it's definitely fun. Sprinting into a massive group of orcs with that AoE pulse from an attack once you reach them and then executing one of them brutally with the chainsword does not get old. Went from a casual glance on GAF to the wishlist.

anddo0

I hate using the word, but this game is truly EPIC! Picking up that mounted gun mowing down wave after wave of orks. Badass!

DrBo42 said:
Just played 30 minutes of it on Onlive, pretty damn cool. I know nothing about the Warhammer 40k universe but it does a good job of making you feel like a legend. I'm much more convinced by it here than I was in years of Halo, which is a bit sad. In any case, the combat does indeed seem shallow if there isn't more beyond combos and a fury meter, but it's definitely fun. Sprinting into a massive group of orcs with that AoE pulse from an attack once you reach them and then executing one of them brutally with the chainsword does not get old. Went from a casual glance on GAF to the wishlist.
I played for about an hour and you do get your Fury meter upgraded so that when you aim in that mode it goes into bullet time.

My problem with the Fury meter is that I hardly ever use it. Every game that has meters like this I always save it for the next big fight and never actually get around to using it until I absolutely have to.

anddo0 said:
I hate using the word, but this game is truly EPIC! Picking up that mounted gun mowing down wave after wave of orks. Badass!

The heavy bolter is the most fun weapon I've used yet. Can't wait for the thunderhammer.

DrBo42

Rodney McKay said:
My problem with the Fury meter is that I hardly ever use it. Every game that has meters like this I always save it for the next big fight and never actually get around to using it until I absolutely have to.
Right there with you.

Top Bottom