• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Bufbaf said:
so if I absolutely suck in TPS with a joypad, for always confusing up and down, regardless if I've mirrored the axis or not (I don't know why, it's just that way), should I stick to KB/M or just get used to the damn pad?
I think the game plays better on KB+M than on a gamepad. No need to learn how to play on a gamepad.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
This game is kind of badass. Multi seems fun too. Haven't had a single decrease in lag in my hour if multiplaying.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
CrookedRain said:
I think the game plays better on KB+M than on a gamepad. No need to learn how to play on a gamepad.
Yeah, 40k Space Marine feels like a PC game that got ported to the consoles. Bravo Relic.

oktarb

As part of the Emperors creed I have to throw out the fact that I am a huge Warhammer fan.

However, I think they missed a serious opportunity with this game. All that customization in the multi-player is completely omitted from the single player game. They force feed you weapons, choose when and where you use them and then limit ammo.

The areas seem like they just sucked out the geometry from Dawn of War II and blew it up in size. The textures seems 'large', expanded. They lack detail, flavor and rely on gaming idea's 10 years old. Exploding barrels, really?

I do like the feel of being a Space Marine. I feel powerful and executions and melee combat have a very satisfying bloody sploosh. Using a jet pack to hammer down "Death From Above" style feels great.

I truly hope that the game changes up later but I doubt it does. I groaned out load when I got on the Train. Another train? Didn't we see this in GoW? Complete with turret and a ship the flies by and shoots at me...

daedalius

While I agree Darksiders probably has a lot more variety in the areas you explore, a lot of the variety in Darksiders are just things that Space Marines don't really do, and if it had you doing things like that, people would be confused why they are pushing crates around as a Space Marine.

The tile-sets probably could have been more varied, I don't know if a Forge World was the best place for visual stimulation(past the over-arching oppressive architecture). DoW2 has a ton of great tile-sets, I'm not sure why they didn't go for something more like that. Oh well, hopefully it will sell well enough to green-light Space Marine 2, and they can have you travel to different planets with all sorts of different environments.

But even with a ton of different environments, I am not sure what they could change up with the gameplay. I guess you could have some light RPG elements and squad control, sort of like the Deathwatch 40k RPG.

Sober

CrookedRain said:
From the demo, you couldn't have both schemes running at the same time and one would take over if it received input ... is it different on the release? Because I figured I would've liked to do mouse/KB for shooting but I actually enjoyed melee more with the gamepad (though IMO it was still pretty good on MKB)

renitou

Fiercely enjoyed the demo for the combat and overall aesthetic. I can believe in the mundanity of the actual level design (amazing art and skyboxes notwithstanding) hurting things. I'll wait for the game to drop in price before picking it up.

I'll also be interested to have an idea of how well maintained and populated the multiplayer will be a month or two out from release.

daedalius said:
But even with a ton of different environments, I am not sure what they could change up with the gameplay. I guess you could have some light RPG elements and squad control, sort of like the Deathwatch 40k RPG.
I'm already hyped for a possible Space Marine 2 and hope Relic gets the chance to make it. Some varied environments and maybe a little bit of Dawn of War 2 thrown in could pay serious dividends.

Customization and wargear? Very light squad management? Maybe as simple as just bring down AI controlled reinforcements, turrets, using buffs, etc. It could work, and mix up the gameplay.

In my dreams though, this is a perfect candidate for Left 4 Dead's dynamic spawning. How awesome would it be on replays if you didn't know when and where you were going to run into another Ork horde?

NullPointer said:
I'm already hyped for a possible Space Marine 2 and hope Relic gets the chance to make it. Some varied environments and maybe a little but of Dawn of War 2 thrown in could pay serious dividends.

Customization and wargear? Very light squad management? Maybe as simple as just bring down AI controlled reinforcements, turrets, using buffs, etc. It could work, and mix up the gameplay.

In my dreams though, this is a perfect candidate for Left 4 Dead's dynamic spawning. How awesome would it be on replays if you didn't know when and where you were going to run into another Ork horde?

Yep...much potential if they're green lit for a sequel.

I know they cut any RPG elements

but is weapon upgrading in there for single player? any depth or anything or every weapon is the same throughout the game?

FUCCCCCCCKKKKK.

I choose this over everything else. I couldn't afford this game, but I bought it because I thought it would last a long time. It's fucked how a games success is so influenced by early reviews.

I don't think the multiplayer is going to compete with the big boys now:(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Vigilant Walrus said:
FUCCCCCCCKKKKK.

I choose this over everything else. I couldn't afford this game, but I bought it because I thought it would last a long time. It's fucked how a games success is so influenced by early reviews.

Reviews aren't everything. People still play Homefront online, for instance.

daedalius

Vigilant Walrus said:
FUCCCCCCCKKKKK.

Are you serious? Reviews barely affect purchasing decisions.

Duke Nukem Forever sold ridiculously well, got shit reviews all around.

Hype makes people buy games, not reviews.

daedalius said:

So from one very particular example (how many games are in DNF's position again?) you make a flying leap to the conclusion that "reviews barely affect purchasing decisions"?

Publishers are obsessed with metacritic scores for a reason - they have the metrics and the sales data.

daedalius said:

Hype makes people buy games, not reviews.

DNF is an exception for obvious reasons.

daedalius

FieryBalrog said:
So from one very particular example (how many games are in DNF's position again?) you make a flying leap to the conclusion that "reviews barely affect purchasing decisions"?

Publishers are obsessed with metacritic scores for a reason - they have the metrics and the sales data.

I didn't say good review scores don't help, but I still stand behind hype and advertising do more for sales than reviews.

Shadows of the Damned was reviewed well, sold shit.

Enslaved was reviewed well, sold shit.

I'll have to find a game that was reviewed poorly but still sold really well besides the aforementioned DNF.

Eurogamers seems to think that the story isn't great .... that would be a terrible waste !

What do the people who are playing it think about the story so far (no spoiler of course) ?

Because if there is a good story behind I really don't care if it becomes a little repetitive!

Kalnos

Banned
MesserWolf said:
Eurogamers seems to think that the story isn't great .... that would be a terrible waste !

What do the people who are playing it think about the story so far (no spoiler of course) ?

Because if there is a good story behind I really don't care if it becomes a little repetitive!

It's 40k dude, I can tell you the story without playing it.

ORKS! KILL THEM, FOR THE EMPEROR. Oh shit, Chaos heretics, kill them!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Kalnos said:

Actually, 40k would have lots and lots of material and background to make way, way better stories than that :(

bigdaddygamebot said:
Darksiders is awesome but the they are two completely different genres of game.
True that. Darksiders is like if God of War 2 and Zelda had a glorious baby. Its a great time.

Space Marine is like... is like... Hell, I don't even know what its like. Its definitely not like Gears. Its a really nice blend of melee and ranged against hordes of enemies. Its an action RPG with no RPG elements if that makes sense ;P

And this is random, but I like how calm your character is in Space Marine. He's covered in blood facing hundreds of foes and just has this nice zen like composure. It works.

daedalius said:
I didn't say good review scores don't help, but I still stand behind hype and advertising do more for sales than reviews.

Shadows of the Damned was reviewed well, sold shit.

Enslaved was reviewed well, sold shit.

That's not how you come to this sort of conclusion dude. You have to do a pretty complex study of how the game would have likely sold if the reviews had been different. It's not the absolute but the relative impact that matters.

Hearing the negatives in reviews is not taking my excitement away. I adored the demo and if it is more of the same then I am completely happy with my purchase. Especially considering I only payed 30 for it.

Almost time to leave work and I shall be crushing my foes under my monstrous boots in no time.

Kalnos said:

The lore is pretty good .... and even the short stories you find on the manuals sometimes are not bad => ergo I expected a nice story.

Orayn

Bufbaf said:
Actually, 40k would have lots and lots of material and background to make way, way better stories than that :(
That's the great thing about the setting: There's always been room for crazy awesome badass ultraviolence alongside the more serious, lore-heavy plotlines. When you've got a game squarely in the action genre, it's pretty reasonable to expect that the writers will defer to the former just because there are so many great ways to do it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Multiplayer's fun, but it's hard to convince myself to play the single player. I just hate the peanut head Space Marine look. You have an awesome helmet for a reason. It's like when Sam exposed his pasty face in Vanquish all the time

Anyone else rage when you crash land on a devastator, do a full 4 slashes w/ chainsword, then die singlehandedly to his heavy bolter?

It's hard enough getting in close when hes camping down a hallway. Can't even finish him off with a full blown combo. Jeez.

Also, power axe almost always loses to chain sword for some reason.

Herla

narcosis219 said:
Anyone else rage when you crash land on a devastator, do a full 4 slashes w/ chainsword, then die singlehandedly to his heavy bolter?

It's hard enough getting in close when hes camping down a hallway. Can't even finish him off with a full blown combo. Jeez.

Also, power axe almost always loses to chain sword for some reason.

Shoot a couple of bolter rounds before landing and remember that you can stun like in the single player. Also retreat and jump on them again if you don't feel safe, you ALWAYS have to move.

FieryBalrog said:
I'm surprised. Eurogamer generally has a huge hard-on for all things Warhammer.

And they say that, and say that the game isn't quite as awesome as the source material. 6/10 is a fine score, and will easily carry you through if you love the universe. The score has to be for everybody, not just fans of a particular franchise.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Failed to host session
Failed to host session
Failed to host session
Failed to host session
Waiting for host
Failed to host session

No really, matchmaking is the future!

daedalius

zoner said:
Failed to host session
Waiting for host
No really, matchmaking is the future!

This stream I'm watching doesn't seem too bad.

Of course, that doesn't really mean much for overall quality :p

Oh good, tracking for my box is now broken. Awesome.

ArjanN

garath said:
You basically just said you don't trust my two most trusted review sites. Interesting how perception is everything :)

I give Eurogamer and EDGE my full attention because they grade on the full scale, not just the 7-10 scale most other sites lean toward.

I often feel they review pretty much like other sites/magazines except at the end they deduct 2 points, so they seem more credible.

NullPointer said:
True that. Darksiders is like if God of War 2 and Zelda had a glorious baby. Its a great time.

Space Marine is like... is like... Hell, I don't even know what its like. Its definitely not like Gears. Its a really nice blend of melee and ranged against hordes of enemies. Its an action RPG with no RPG elements if that makes sense ;P

And this is random, but I like how calm your character is in Space Marine. He's covered in blood facing hundreds of foes and just has this nice zen like composure. It works.

Space Marine is like God of War, it's pretty much a beat 'm up in 3D.

JoeBoy101

Been having a ton of fun in single and multiplayer. I think, like other said, that 6/10 is way too harsh. 8/10 would have been reasonable.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
JoeBoy101 said:
Been having a ton of fun in single and multiplayer. I think, like other said, that 6/10 is way too harsh. 8/10 would have been reasonable.

I guess it all depends on how much you like the combat. I'm only a few hours, so maybe it'll still wear thin, but I'm loving it. I'm glad it doesn't have any filler like clunky vehicle missions or block-pushing puzzles, it's straight to the fuckin point. I don't want variety for the sake of variety, just give me some hoards of mean shit to kill and I'm happy.

Herla

Aaaand I'm done for the day.

1xN0i.png

God this game is fun. After the non-lethal no-alarm playthrough of DXHR it's just what I needed.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Snuggler said:
I guess it all depends on how much you like the combat. I'm only a few hours, so maybe it'll still wear thin, but I'm loving it. I'm glad it doesn't have any filler like clunky vehicle missions or block-pushing puzzles, it's straight to the fuckin point. I don't want variety for the sake of variety, just give me some hoards of mean shit to kill and I'm happy.

Yea the game is very one note, and your enjoyment of it will depend on how well that note resonates with you.

Personally I think it's an absolute riot.

derFeef

You seem to have antialiasing forced within your drivers, amrod. Happened to me in the demo, but not in the final build. Try disabling it.

Top Bottom