• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

amrod

derFeef said:
You seem to have antialiasing forced within your drivers, amrod. Happened to me in the demo, but not in the final build. Try disabling it.

That fixed it... Game is freaking amazing :D

YyZO8.jpg

Boogdud

CrookedRain said:
I think the game plays better on KB+M than on a gamepad. No need to learn how to play on a gamepad.

Much better imo. I have it on pc and 360 got done with about an hour or so in multi on the pc and then went to see how it was on the controller and it felt so clunky and slow. Almost felt like I was playing through syrup. If I hadn't played the pc first, I probably wouldn't have any complaints.

Davedough

I've had $130 in credit waiting for Ico/Shadow and another game.... THIS will be my "other" game this month.

Although, and I know its been said before, I really wish Relic would tackle something else in the galaxy. I mean, I've played W40K on the table top and have followed the lore. It's such a rich and fascinating universe that there are SO many other stories that can be gleaned that dont revolve around the Space Marines. Sure, the Space Marines are bad ass, I love them and even more so when they get their Terminator armor, but what about the Dark Eldar, or even regular Eldar for that matter? Show me something with Necrons and Tau that isn't that crap Fire Warrior game that came out about a decade ago. Focus solely on the Legions of Chaos and let me summon the Dark Lord Slaanesh to fight beside me... something other than Space Marines, please.

daedalius

Boogdud said:
Much better imo. I have it on pc and 360 got done with about an hour or so in multi on the pc and then went to see how it was on the controller and it felt so clunky and slow. Almost felt like I was playing through syrup. If I hadn't played the pc first, I probably wouldn't have any complaints.

Weird, I felt the controller handled much better; at least for the melee stuff. Mouse still has the precision aim, though.

derFeef

So I just reached the part where Chaos shows up (nice cutscene), and the game get's even more hectic. What Xenos to slay first - Chaos demons? Ork scum? It's also getting very hard in some spots and it forces me to not take the thunder hammer - the lack of long-range weaponry is noticeable :/

derFeef

weekendCONFIRMED said:
So I ask again, how is the multiplayer? Please tell me there is persistent leveling/perks/armor customization!?
There is, all of that :) Have not played enough to give impressions though. I bet some have played more already.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
weekendCONFIRMED said:
So I ask again, how is the multiplayer? Please tell me there is persistent leveling/perks/armor customization!?

I haven't tried it yet, but I do know there is a leveling system that unlocks items, as well as armor customization.

Question of my own, it's bugging me: what are those gross gold bumps on the space marine's foreheads?

weekendCONFIRMED said:

Yes, you unlock new perks/weapons/armor pieces as you level up. The multiplayer feels solid, but I think many people are waiting till Exterminatus hits in October. From the look and design of the game it benefits much more from Last Stand multiplayer, than typical deathmatch.

Snuggler said:
I haven't tried it yet, but I do know there is a leveling system that unlocks items, as well as armor customization.

Question of my own, it's bugging me: what are those gross gold bumps on the space marine's foreheads?
GB quick look suggested they are kind of like badges of duty/war/etc. I'm no WH40K lore nut though.

Kalnos

Banned
Snuggler said:

Service stud?

"These are small metal rivets that are attached directly to the Marine' cranium to record his years of service to his Chapter. A single stud records 10, 50 or 100 standard Terran years of service depending on its design and the Chapter's traditions. The awarding of service studs is described in the Codex Astartes but is not set out as an official requirement or regulation of the Chapter. In rcent centuries the awarding of service studs has been on the decline as a tradition and fewer Chapters continue the practice."

Wazzim

Banned
The game is very good, the gameplay is fluid and the art style is amazing and I wasn't even planning on getting it till today :O

Mrbob

weekendCONFIRMED said:

Yes to all those options you asked for. I haven't played it multi for long yet, only about an hour. There are two modes at the moment: team deathmatch and Capture and Hold. I'm not a fan of Deathmatch in general, but I tried it out in this game anyway and it didn't change my mind on the mode. First team to 41 kills wins, and if you have a full game this can go buy quick and you don't earn much XP.

Capture and Hold is more my kind of mode, and I'm having fun here. Three points on the map, and each team attempts to hold each spot to earn points. First team to 1000 points wins. This is where different classes come into play. Grab a point and get a devestator near it to defend from the opposition.

One interesting aspect to multi is when you get killed you have the option of stealing the loadout choices from the person who took you out. This is a great option to keep the multi from feeling too unbalanced, as you unlock weapons and perks as you level up.

Attention: SALAZAR

No reply from that Raph heretic, despite him retweeting some acceptably fawning from the peanut gallery twitterstream. Thus, I fired another salvo with the question you seek the answer to in tow. I'll let you know what happens.

We might need an Inquisitor if this keeps up.

derFeef

Pylon_Trooper said:

No reply from that Raph heretic, despite him retweeting some acceptably fawning from the peanut gallery twitterstream. Thus, I fired another salvo with the question you seek the answer to in tow. I'll let you know what happens.

We might need an Inquisitor if this keeps up.
Never trust the Inquisition

Anybody who has this game on Xbox 360 (I'm a heretic, I know... but I love Chaos anyway, so it fits), let me know if you're down for some multiplayer later on tonight or this week.

derFeef

devon the dude said:
That's a sweet conclusion, could not agree more.

Space Marine is a terrific title, and proof that Relic's expertise can extend far past the RTS genre they've already conquered. The game is short, in terms of both length and features, but what's there, especially in the single-player campaign, is of the highest quality. Warhammer fans especially will love it, and hopefully even those who've never heard of Games Workshop's legendary setting will pick it up and learn just where the whole "space marine" idea came from in the first place.

I'm sincerely hoping that some daft kid at Gametraders or something breaks the street date. Let that shit flow forth for the Emperor.

derFeef

Salazar said:
I am vaguely glad you are all having fun.

:(
No fear, I bet you can feel it's building up inside of you. And oh boy will it pay off when you start it up. The game does not fuck around, it's 100% on from the get go.

Davedough

jediyoshi said:
It's been interesting to hear how many ways typing can sound on a keyboard while in multiplayer lobbies.

I've heard fapping in a lobby before from someone who forgot to turn his mic off. Now that's interesting.

It took me like 15 games to figure out I was not leveling up past level 5. These codes are damn annoying, after I put it in I was hoping it would give me my experience it did not.

steadfast

Anerythristic said:
It took me like 15 games to figure out I was not leveling up past level 5. These codes are damn annoying, after I put it in I was hoping it would give me my experience it did not.

wait....what? Is there an online pass for console versions? Is that what we're talking about?

Ubersnug

The Antitype said:
Unfortunately, the Collector's Edition isn't nearly as cool as the Heavy Bolter edition available in the UK and AU. :(
What heavy Bolter edition? First I've heard of it. Got a link?

steadfast said:
wait....what? Is there an online pass for console versions? Is that what we're talking about?
Yeah, WTF is this shit about? I have my 360 version waiting for me in my car, can't wait to play it tonight.

Ubersnug said:
What heavy Bolter edition? First I've heard of it. Got a link?

I'm set to receive the "Bolter Edition" from EB tomorrow; I'm not too sure if there's a "Heavy Bolter Edition". Anyway, all it comes with is a metal art card, a tin and the codes for both the golden Chainsword and Bolter.

Edit: the tin case also has a slip-cover on it with the Space Marine crest above the title; it looks quite swish, but as with every other slip-cover of mine, it usually gets relegated to the cupboard/bin.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Reluctant-Hero said:
Yeah, WTF is this shit about? I have my 360 version waiting for me in my car, can't wait to play it tonight.

Just looked it up.

Space Marine Official Forums said:
Space Marine will feature an ‘Elite Pass’ for the Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms. A single-use code will be printed on the back of the manual found in all new copies of the game which unlocks the full multiplayer experience. Players who don’t have the pass will have access to the entire single-player campaign as well as multiplayer modes and maps, but they will not be able to progress past rank 5 or unlock any of the associated upgrades. Users without an Elite pass will be able to purchase one for $10 through the Xbox Live and PlayStation Network stores.

I know THQ have similar plans for Saints Row the Third.

Salazar

Pylon_Trooper said:

Merci.

I believe they possibly have some imbecilic plan to drip-feed info, one drip a month.

BLOOD ANGELS OMNIBUS ARRIVED IN THE MAIL THIS MORNING.

THE EMPEROR SMILES ON ME AND MY REGION-DELAYED PLIGHT.

Top Bottom