• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game. It's very good. The story was also very good. However, I thought the ending could've been much better.

Salazar

Vilix said:
Just finished the game. It's very good. The story was also very good. However, I thought the ending could've been much better.

Good stuff.

Just watched part of possibly the most excruciatingly stupid Let's Play on the internet.

Someone - with a webcam window in the top left - moaning "c'moooooon man, c'mooooon man, fucken broken" as they get smashed. They don't even try to execute. Not once.

markatisu

Been playing now for 2hrs straight, this game is so much fun and everything I hoped a WH40k Shooter would be.

The atomsphere, the violence...just awesome.

markatisu

mickcenary said:
Can I still play Kill Team after the release of the game and get me my sword? And is that the ONLY way to get said sword?

As far as I know as long as you play Kill Team anytime and beat the first mission you unlock the sword. Its not time sensitive.

Just played the demo after not really following the game at all. Really impressed, and totally not what I was expecting. Going to have to wait for a price drop, though. Way too much to buy/play in the coming weeks.

daedalius

Came up here long enough to see Joystiq 4/5, good deal.

Just started Part 2... back to it!

Oh, I love the single player; playing normal this time, will go back through a 2nd time on hard and clean up any journals I missed.

The 'ard slugga boys with the chain swords, wow, they hurt.

Oh, they are working on some kind of Steam fix, as said on the official forums for you PC guys.

Narag

Heavy said:
should I play on normal or hard?

Hard feels really balanced but I'm used to games like this so ymmv. I've a notion it'll be like Arkham Asylum though where the gameplay shows through on the harder difficulty.

Salazar

Exterminatus Mode has one to four players joining in via co-op, and in it, you'll be fighting against oncoming waves of Orks and Chaos units in one of two different scenarios: Assault On Hab Center Andreas and Escape From Kalkys Facility. Each mission has four different "arenas," giving you eight total that you'll have to battle through to claim dominance on the leaderboards. You'll also be gaining valuable XP while you play and unlocking weapon and armor abilities that you can use in both co-op and multiplayer throughout the game.

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/...minatus-co-op-mode-impressions/#ixzz1XEANCdTE

Huh, G4TV. Info lurks in the unlikeliest of places.

*Will still fork out when Pylon_Trooper sees a Steam game he likes, or if he gets an official word on it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Heavy said:
should I play on normal or hard?

I haven't tried hard but normal has put up a pretty good challenge, you gotta be on your toes all the time or you'll get got.

Is anyone else having a hard time connecting to MP games on PC? It says I have 19 potential matches found out 43 but its not joining any of them.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hellsing321 said:
Is anyone else having a hard time connecting to MP games on PC? It says I have 19 potential matches found out 43 but its not joining any of them.

Yea it's borked. Took me 30 minutes to get into a game last night.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I feel like a total badass in this game. I mean feel like a cot damn living breathing wrecking machine. Perfect blend of shooting and hacking, feels so sweet. Impact from guns and melee feels great, executions are just nasty. Awesome game. The execution where he runs them through with the chainsaw sword and then just keeps digging it deeper and deeper.... possible the most badass thing I've seen.

I know almost nothing about the Warhammer 40k universe, but this game has made me jump out of my chair and yell "OH SHIT!!" in a good way more than once.

This game is just fun to play, straight up. Runs smooth as butter too.

And to people saying its repetitive... that's bogus. You run and gun like every other 3rd person shooter on the planet, only this bad boy has a pretty vicious and completely competent melee system in place too. If that's your argument then you don't enjoy 3rd person shooters by default.

And I haven't even started multiplayer yet.

Just hit level 4 and nerded the fuck out in the customizer. I have a very close approximation of my tabletop Chaos Marines now for multiplayer, which makes me extremely happy. I just wish regular space marines were a little less boring in their design, there is not nearly as much tweaking and crafting as you can do with Chaos. (EDIT: Never mind, I just need to unlock some armor sets for the Space Marines. They did include a fair bit of gilding for the armor, you just have to unlock it first.)

Also, I needs me a full on army painter. I just want to go through and paint the hell out of every unit out there, especially for Nids and Chaos Daemons. In fact, they should just straight up make a computerized version of the tabletop game. Turn based and everything, let me paint and make my armies, include dice rolls, the whole deal.

Damn this shit is awesome. I just wish I didnt suck so bad at the game. I keep getting rolled by Raptors and Assault Marines, but when I try to use them I never get the kill. Keep getting picked off by some jackass teammate of my would be victim. Maybe I should try some single player and get a better feel for the combat, but I just want to smash face in multiplayer!

Skulls for the throne of Khorne!!!!!

EDIT 2: And yeah, this community loves its Warhammer. I saw players with the tags Kharn the Betrayer and Ahriman of the Thousand Suns, wont be surprised to see some big name Space Marines too. Makes me want to swing by the local GW so bad.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Sinatar said:
Yea it's borked. Took me 30 minutes to get into a game last night.

Yeah, I am enjoying single player a lot in this game, but I have yet to be able to join a multiplayer game on PC. It just sits there searching and even though it apparently can find 30 potential matches, it doesn't actually want to connect me to any of them.

Just finished playing some multiplayer on PC and it's pretty fun. It only took me a couple minutes to get into a game, maybe I'm just luckier than the others trying unsuccessfully. I got my ass handed to me at first, but once I got the hang of things I started to do better and get a positive kill:death ratio.

I made it to level/rank 4 in MP and now have the ability to customize my armor, but unfortunately I haven't really unlocked any armor pieces yet (at least I can choose all the different chapter paint schemes though). It seems like good incentive to keep playing and using a variety of weapons and classes since each appears to be tied to specific armor unlocks (for example, kill X amount of enemies with Y gun to unlock Z piece of armor and some bonus exp).

JoeBoy101

Pyke Presco said:
Just hit level 4 and nerded the fuck out in the customizer. I have a very close approximation of my tabletop Chaos Marines now for multiplayer, which makes me extremely happy. I just wish regular space marines were a little less boring in their design, there is not nearly as much tweaking and crafting as you can do with Chaos.

Now you need to start unlocking the other armor pieces for Chaos and Space Marines. Some of them are quite cool, especially for Chaos.

Salazar

MessieurCouchon said:
This review is clearly worse than the Space Wolves invasion of Prospero. I can't agree with his points on repetition.

Magnus shouldn't have fucked with the warp.

I vaguely remember someone saying the game had about 15 chapters. If you mean chapters in the sense other than Space Wolves/Blood Angels/Imperial Fists, that is.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
mickcenary said:
Can I still play Kill Team after the release of the game and get me my sword? And is that the ONLY way to get said sword?

I'm not 100% on this but my buddy who is lucky enough to NOT have to work today and is at home playing right now had mentioned looking this exact thing up (official forums i think?) and said you can get the sword in the game (via unlocking in multiplayer obviously) and that the kill team bonus simply hands it to you from the very beginning.

Excko

I have an extra Traitor Legions Pack that I'd be willing to trade for any other MP packs. Send a PM my way, and we can trade.

george_us

OT but has anyone had experience with their Xbox getting stuck on the Update in Progress screen? I've tried turning off the console, unplugging it, and taking out the hard drive but no dice.

Narag

Stopping at the beginning of 14 and will finish tomorrow. Not a problem in the world that can't be fixed with a Thunder Hammer either. sogood

The sense of scale in this game is so fantastic too. Everything is so huge.

LastWindow said:
How many chapters in the single player?

Preview guide an australian gaffer posted said 17.

Salazar

Narag said:
The sense of scale in this game is so fantastic too. Everything is so huge.

I like quite a bit of the gothic architecture. I don't mind the industrial side of things, but the spires and buttresses and halls are just fucking right.

Unity2012

I didn't get to play as much MP as I wanted today. I had a lot of fun with both modes and the maps. I know this is silly but I had a good feeling of "achievement" when I finally made it to "Level 4" this morning and unlocked the Customizer.

I can't wait to play some more. Another good aspect is the team-effort, the atmosphere on Seize Ground games. I really enjoyed the hectic pace and combat.

Just put a solid 2 hours into the campaign and am up to Part II Chapter 6 and am loving it. I've never experienced such insane, visceral, satisfying combat in a game. There's times when I slightly hold my breath during a huge bloody massacre of orcs because the combat feels so good and so brutal...hard to explain lol but that's never happened to me in a game before. If you loved the demo, you'll love the full game. That's all there is to it. Just ignore the negative reviews on this one if you really enjoyed the demo. If you thought the demo got boring or wasn't good or whatever, then don't get it. I love it. Haven't touched MP yet.

One thing I forgot to mention is how great the sound effects are. You hear orcs talking in the background and it echoes and it goes from ear to ear. Then the combat sound effects are just insane.

This one of the laggiest game I have had the misfortune of playing in recent time. If only such a thing as dedicated service existed and that devs would be able to take advantage of such a miraculous device to make their game better.

Duffyside

Banned
On the verge of buying this because I don't want to play it in three months and then just get stomped in multiplayer... but on that note, what's the consensus on multi? Worth a shit?

Salazar

Lostconfused said:
This one of the laggiest game I have had the misfortune of playing in recent time. If only such a thing as dedicated service existed and that devs would be able to take advantage of such a miraculous device to make their game better.

Although I don't play online MP, it has bothered me that they have taken a few short cuts.

And yeah, I loved the combat sound effects in the demo. It made up for getting fucked up by a grenade that you had this brief deafened period of soft and slowed sound. Something about it seemed really spot on.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lostconfused said:

It's surprising on the PC, but that's how millions of peasants roll. Doesn't seem to bother them much. I guess it comes down to how good the netcode is.

Fjordson

SapientWolf said:
but that's how millions of peasants roll. Doesn't seem to bother them much. I guess it comes down to how good the netcode is.
Yeah, depends on the game. Not using dedicated servers, on consoles or PC, does not always mean a laggy game. At least not in my experience.

Fjordson said:
Yeah, depends on the game. Not using dedicated servers, on consoles or PC, does not always mean a laggy game. At least not in my experience.
Right it doesn't mean the game won't lag, it only lets you decide with how much lag you are willing to play. And makes the experience more fair for everyone.

Spoo

So, every single time it *trys* to load "The Inquisitor* (Part II) my Steam copy just crashes. I've verified the cache files, and done everything I can think to do. Does anyone else have this problem?

Shuusui

Has anyone been able to play private matches?

Do you gain experience/achievements/weapon perks unlock in private matches? I'd find out myself, but Relic's servers seem to be getting crushed.

Edit - PS3 cannot connect to a game. Simply crashes my system.

Sullen

A little short, beat the campaign in 6-7 hours at most. The armor unlocks you get in multi for beating the singleplayer game are pretty cool though. Very fun campaign though and the multi is a lot of fun as well.

Salazar, out on the road at this point, but still on the mission! Got in touch with Raph after a few more tweets. He directed me to another fellow, so tweet barrages are now being ranged in on this new guy. All we need is confirmation of the G4 write-up, and we'll be good to go.

Your question will be answered, come hell or high water!

Top Bottom