• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

DrBo42 said:
Right there with you.
Darksiders was probably the only game I did use it a lot in, but that was only because it would charge up incredibly fast. I think there was even an item that increased the speed it charged up.

Xater said:
Basically THQ has no confidence in the game.

exactly
Stallion Free said:
Not surprising after that dumbass called it a Gears of War clone.

That would be my guess as well ....

they feared a similar bashing, that would have put the game in a bad light, so they betted on the word of mouth + demo rather then in the reviews as a mean to advertise the game.

derFeef

DaBuddaDa said:
Weird review. He describes the first 2 hours... then stops and tells us how awesome the atmosphere and setting is. Then he tells us that the game is too difficult and repetitive (I can see that), and then again that the 40k setting is wonderfully realized.

6/10? Seems harsh.

DaBuddaDa said:

In this case, the game owes a lot to the first Gears of War. Framed from close over the shoulder, it follows you through strictly linear nests of trenches, corridors, tunnels and elevated walkways, frequently ballooning out into arenas where you are set upon by Orks and, later, the forces of Chaos, before narrowing again after they are all dispatched.

WHY GOD

ironcreed

Banned
derFeef said:
Weird review. He describes the first 2 hours... then stops and tells us how awesome the atmosphere and setting is. Then he tells us that the game is too difficult and repetitive (I can see that), and then again that the 40k setting is wonderfully realized.

6/10? Seems harsh.

Hm, makes me want to play it even more. While I could see the combat getting repetitive for some, for others the satisfaction it provides will never get old. I think I will firmly be in the latter group. Being a good challenge hardly seems like a con either. Looking forward to being tested, as the rewards thereafter will be that much greater.

derFeef said:

6/10? Seems harsh.

I hate when reviewers consider difficulty a negative thing.

ced

Mr. Snrub said:

Because it's clearly influenced by Gears, not that it's a bad thing. Talking about the game here, not the lore, yes the big hulking marines were around before the cogs...

ced said:
Because it's clearly influenced by Gears, not that it's a bad thing. Talking about the game here, not the lore, yes the big hulking marines were around before the cogs...

I pointed that out because, as far as tact and the big stink that the comparison made earlier, you'd think the reviewer would be a bit more thoughtful.

That and, yes, a shit ton of games have been influenced by GoW but it's not necessary to mention it. The game feels nothing like GoW.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Guys im scared. im shaking. I am cold.

it hurts all over my body. the reason why I got a PC has come to this day. the reason why I started playing the early Tabletop games like D&D and Warhammer and 40k and Shadowrun... it was all because of this day. because of this game.

this game that will not only be the last significant game of all time. but also the game that will counter-attack and kill Gears of War and all the other "Omg TPS phenomenon". Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill on this... its going to be... I cant write anymore. I cant. I have to hide under my desk.

I just cant. I just cant....

Curufinwe

DimmuBurgerKing said:
I hate when reviewers consider difficulty a negative thing.

The specific gripe he had with the difficulty where you get shot and killed from miles away while the execution animation that would have restored your health slowly plays out seems like a valid complaint to me.

Sober

Mithel said:
The eurogamer score seems at a bit at odds with most of the review. :/
6/10 sounds right if you consider at the end he says this is pretty much for 40k fans but it might feel a bit thin if you aren't, plus if you try to consume the game in all at once instead of piece-by-piece you might start to notice the repetition in combat.

sykoex said:

it hurts all over my body. the reason why I got a PC has come to this day. the reason why I started playing the early Tabletop games like D&D and Warhammer and 40k and Shadowrun... it was all because of this day. because of this game.

this game that will not only be the last significant game of all time. but also the game that will counter-attack and kill Gears of War and all the other "Omg TPS phenomenon". Dan Abnett and Graham McNeill on this... its going to be... I cant write anymore. I cant. I have to hide under my desk.

I'm not sure if I should quote your tag or applaud you for spoofing the Halo3 thing.

derFeef

Curufinwe said:
The specific gripe he had with the difficulty where you get shot and killed from miles away while the execution animation that would have restored your health slowly plays out seems like a valid complaint to me.
Eh, I made that mistake once and then never again. Watch your armor and only execute when you cleared out the ranged guys and/or have full power armor.

Jinaar

I am balancing my copy of Space Marine xbox360 on my genitals at work. Only 5 more hours to go. Can I maintain this erection? Should I charge people currently viewing me doing this in my chair? At what price range? Will I need to go to the hospital due to having a gaming induced case of priapism? Too many questions.

CAVE343

dunno if asked before, but is the power sword in the single player campaign?
since the Eurogamer review only talks about the chainsword, power axe and thunder hammer

DaBuddaDa said:

Meh I don't really take Eurogamer reviews seriously ever since they still manage to give Halo games high scores while docking others for not being original enough (as an avid Halo CE fan the series has definitely not met this criteria iteration wise). Basically them and EDGE I don't take their scores seriously. Both sites actually usually have well written reviews but often times the score makes no sense in context to the actual writing.

Jinaar said:
I am balancing my copy of Space Marine xbox360 on my genitals at work. Only 5 more hours to go. Can I maintain this erection? Should I charge people currently viewing me doing this in my chair? At what price range? Will I need to go to the hospital due to having a gaming induced case of priapism? Too many questions.

You appear to be in quite a quandry sir.

sykoex said:

I...what is this...?

You are quite mad...or drunk...and high.

Median

Jinaar said:

Gaming-induced priapism may be my favourite phrase of the day. Either that or my new XBL tag, I'm not sure which.

Corto

Curufinwe said:

It may seem so, but I think it makes you more prudent to make an execution as the enemies won't pause and applaud you for a beautifully executed assassination and then proceed to try to murder you. It prevents you also from jumping from execution to execution without any peril at all.

The Stig

Curufinwe said:

can someone explain this?

Im only about 45 mins in.

is this saying you get hurt while you are executing people and you can do nothing about it?

The Stig said:

is this saying you get hurt while you are executing people and you can do nothing about it?

Yes, so you cannot go through the game doing stun+execute, stun+execute, etc. In other words: the game does not have a gigantic design flaw giving you immunity from damage during executions.

The game is not that difficult even on Hard: kill a few Orks with ranged weapons, some more with chainsword, watch out for Nob boyz, execute.

derFeef

The Stig said:

Yep, you can still take damage while executing. Don't be too generous with it, be aware of your surroundings. Or some might say, "think, before execute".

Curufinwe said:
So don't go executing enemies out in the open when you haven't taken out the ranged enemies...

Torraz

Overall enjoying it very much (after having played ~4 hours).

A minor complaint: There could have been an auto-save thrown into some of the longer battles

A question / another possible minor complaint: Is there no freedom in choosing ones weapons? When I find new weapons it seems one is only allowed to trade them for specific ones... Why can't I exchange the assault rifle for that awesome flame thrower/shotgun combo weapon instead of the sniper rifle?

The Stig

derFeef said:
Yep, you can still take damage while executing. Don't be too generous with it, be aware of your surroundings. Or some might say, "think, before execute".

ok makes sense.

as someone who enjoyed batman's takedown invincibility in arkham asylum I think I may need to try harder.

then again batman didnt have the same arsenal.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Torraz said:
Overall enjoying it very much (after having played ~4 hours).

A minor complaint: There could have been an auto-save thrown into some of the longer battles

A question / another possible minor complaint: Is there no freedom in choosing ones weapons? When I find new weapons it seems one is only allowed to trade them for specific ones... Why can't I exchange the assault rifle for that awesome flame thrower/shotgun combo weapon instead of the sniper rifle?
I guess they figured it would be unbalanced to let people have whatever combination of weapons they want and instead split them up into separate "classes" of weapons.
The Stig said:
ok makes sense.

as someone who enjoyed batman's takedown invincibility in arkham asylum I think I may need to try harder.

then again batman didnt have the same arsenal.
Yeah for me it was Darksiders that spoiled me with invincible takedowns. I like Space Marine's system much better though because there's some actual risk involved in exchange for the health boost.

garath

Tallshortman said:
Meh I don't really take Eurogamer reviews seriously ever since they still manage to give Halo games high scores while docking others for not being original enough (as an avid Halo CE fan the series has definitely not met this criteria iteration wise). Basically them and EDGE I don't take their scores seriously. Both sites actually usually have well written reviews but often times the score makes no sense in context to the actual writing.

You basically just said you don't trust my two most trusted review sites. Interesting how perception is everything :)

I give Eurogamer and EDGE my full attention because they grade on the full scale, not just the 7-10 scale most other sites lean toward.

I'll take a solid 7 score from either of those two sites as a positive thing. A good game with some flaws.

A 6 is about my threshold for even bothering with the game.

daedalius

Hard to take someone seriously that thinks you should be invulnerable while executing and regaining health.

"Why are they shooting at me while I'm executing this guy?! They should stop attacking and watch!"

If it wasn't the mechanic with which to regain health, then fine, I guess; but it probably wouldn't be as easy to stun then.

Its very shallow and unpolished in a lot of ways

Care to enumerate?

Had some real fun with this game last night, but I'd say Eurogamer's 6 seems right to me.
Its very shallow and unpolished in a lot of ways. But the combat is very satisfying for what it is, and gets points for the truly organic blending ranged and melee, and for a system that compels and rewards you for getting right into the heart of the chaos. But I wouldn't recommend it for anybody that isn't a strong 40K fan. There just isn't much game here, and the level design is pretty bland.

I got it in the steam Space Marine + Darksiders pack, and have to say that Darksiders is the better game.

Mrbob

Been playing this for a couple hours this morning. Killing a bunch of orkz feels good man! When you see a bunch of Orkz coming at you don't run for cover! You run at them to do battle!

10ncqd4.jpg

Never get sick of running my chainsword through an Ork either!

15zfw3b.jpg

Game is all about action and doesn't make any bones about it. Digging it.

Corto

daedalius said:
Hard to take someone seriously that thinks you should be invulnerable while executing and regaining health.

"Why are they shooting at me while I'm executing this guy?! They should stop attacking and watch!"

If it wasn't the mechanic with which to regain health, then fine, I guess; but it probably wouldn't be as easy to stun then.

Care to enumerate?

To his credit though that's how we've been trained. Spectacular stealth kill animations that an enemy standing right side by side of you can't even notice, executions that stop the whole battle just so you can see the A.W.E.S.O.M.E. It makes much more sense like this, even gameplay wise, but I understand the complaint.

Dommel

Sober said:
6/10 sounds right if you consider at the end he says this is pretty much for 40k fans but it might feel a bit thin if you aren't, plus if you try to consume the game in all at once instead of piece-by-piece you might start to notice the repetition in combat.

I'm not sure if I should quote your tag or applaud you for spoofing the Halo3 thing.
Well I'm no 40k fan but I'm enjoying this game a lot. It might borrow the look of Gears but not having a cover system and forcing you to take the horde head on is refreshing.

Space marines also gives you a satisfaction Gears does not. Shooting from behind cover and once in a while chainsawing the leftover does not compare to going full fury while you're surrounded by dozens of Orks and in the end you're the only one left standing on a pile of bodies blood soaked armour.

Just reached chapter 8 which is about 4 hours in and on normal difficulty I've died maybe 5 times. It took me quite a few times to clear the end of the first demo level in the demo. When I reached the same room in the game I did it without dying because I was used to the weapons and melee combat. Can't imagine that euro gamer reviewer playing this on hard but he's complaining about the difficulty?

Finished the train section. Pretty good, so far! Nothing ground breaking, but it's fun, and I really just bought the game because I've wanted a game like this for a very long time. Worth the purchase, in my opinion.

daedalius said:
Care to enumerate?
I'm probably just spoiled from playing Darksiders while waiting for Space Marine to unlock, but when comparing the two games Space Marine doesnt come off in a favorable light. Darksiders has tremendous art style, vibrant colors, a deep combat system, and polish everywhere you look, from audio design, to camera angles in cinematics, to animations of characters like Vulgrim, to even just the way the menus look and sound.

Now Space Marine? This game is 100% combat. This is may not sound like a problem for most, especially 40K fans (and I'm one of them), as Space Marines don't sit around around knitting sweaters between engagements. But as a game it can have an effect upon pacing. I've only played a couple of hours and I'm really looking for something that mixes the gameplay formula up and a little worried that there isn't anything, so far...

The look and the design of the levels is bland. Areas don't have much personality, and I've had to rely upon the waypoints more than a few times to get a sense of where to go next since everything is so samey looking. And as a natural explorer and collector of things in any game, this is one of the few games that I have no desire to wander off the beaten path and explore. Its just the same flat walls, crates, leaking tubes, and bodies, everywhere you go. And since the only environmental interaction I've seen so far is exploding barrels, different battles end up feeling samey as well, just with different backdrops.

The game is also lacking polish. I've gotten stuck on geometry quite a bit, and seen the AI run into the same. Some of my combos don't "click", so when I hit X-X-Y against a standard Ork I may not get the stun effect to come off - don't know if I'm doing something wrong here or not, but it works 90% of the time just fine, and then sometimes, just doesn't.

Now, all of that reads pretty negative, but I'm not negative on the game. Its a bloody good combat romp, with tons of enemies on screen, true battle chaos, smoke, yells, disembowelment and the works. Just saying the game is pretty damn shallow - a one trick pony. Luckily that one trick is pretty effectively pulled off.

ultron87

How does fighting Chaos Marines play out? Is it just like they are all slightly tougher than the Orks or do they actually seem fairly equal to you?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
so if I absolutely suck in TPS with a joypad, for always confusing up and down, regardless if I've mirrored the axis or not (I don't know why, it's just that way), should I stick to KB/M or just get used to the damn pad?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Bufbaf said:
so if I absolutely suck in TPS with a joypad, for always confusing up and down, regardless if I've mirrored the axis or not (I don't know why, it's just that way), should I stick to KB/M or just get used to the damn pad?
This game is great on the KB+M combo, I turn around aiming and shooting at a speed I couldn't ever achieve with a gamepad.

NullPointer said:
Now, all of that reads pretty negative, but I'm not negative on the game. Its a bloody good combat romp, with tons of enemies on screen, true battle chaos, smoke, yells, disembowelment and the works. Just saying the game is pretty damn shallow - a one trick pony. Luckily that one trick is pretty effectively pulled off.

Yeah, all this sounds very much in line with what I could gather from the demo. I'm a big 40k fan, but I'm not sure whether I'd want to pay full price for this.

Top Bottom