• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

leng jai

EatChildren said:
So this sci-fi themed 300 game is pretty fucking awesome. Best action system in a long time. As Sinatar said, removing a traditional sticky cover system and health regin in favour of execution kills was a stroke of simplistic genius. Its amazing how little things can completely change the flavour of an entire game.

I dont mind the repetitive encounters in the campaign as the action is good, but if I had one complaint its that the environments are pretty bland (so far, and I'm not finished). They do the best they can with what they're given, but so far its been remixed versions of existing environments, and the same colour palette and architecture repeated over and over. It makes sense given the context of the setting, but it does make me wish for planet hopping, or just some variety to the locals for extra zazz.

The only other issue is that it doesn't look anywhere near as good as it could, and is light years away from a technical showpiece, but its still nice to look at and I'm not too anal bout these things.

Otherwise Imma just gonna keep on killing.

The repetitive environments were my main grip in the demo - really hoping the full game is different.

Salazar

Aus-Gaffer playing the game, huh.

Glad you like it. I've been channeling my impatience into the demo. Pretty sure any sequel is going to stick with Titus, which is a shame but a tolerable one if they can improve on this already fucking outstanding combat template.

But THQ need to figure out how to promote shit and how to disseminate info. And probably to fix MP, and ship co-op with the game.

FeD.nL

Guys... Chapter sixteen WOW!!! SO FUCKING BOSS!!!

Sorry for the over enthusiasm, but really goosebumps galore.

Chapter sixteen spoilers:

Begins with joining up with a squad of blood ravens, then half way thru an additional squad of ultramarines fighting side by side to take the bridge

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
So this sci-fi themed 300 game is pretty fucking awesome. Best action system in a long time. As Sinatar said, removing a traditional sticky cover system and health regin in favour of execution kills was a stroke of simplistic genius. Its amazing how little things can completely change the flavour of an entire game.

I dont mind the repetitive encounters in the campaign as the action is good, but if I had one complaint its that the environments are pretty bland (so far, and I'm not finished). They do the best they can with what they're given, but so far its been remixed versions of existing environments, and the same colour palette and architecture repeated over and over. It makes sense given the context of the setting, but it does make me wish for planet hopping, or just some variety to the locals for extra zazz.

The only other issue is that it doesn't look anywhere near as good as it could, and is light years away from a technical showpiece, but its still nice to look at and I'm not too anal bout these things.

Otherwise Imma just gonna keep on killing.
Pretty much this.

I also think the scenery could've used more variety. I don't like comparing it to Gears. But, in both games you're put in a setting where the city around you is completely distroyed. Both have their own architectural scheme present through out the game. But, Gears was able to change it up just a bit to keep it fresh.

I also think they could've added a lot more variety to the melee and executions. Every melee weapon almost has the exact same moves. And I would've like to have seen a few more execution moves.

I still like this game a lot though. :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
leng jai said:
The repetitive environments were my main grip in the demo - really hoping the full game is different.
I think they're using most of their resources on the enemy count. Complex environments on top of that would start causing fillrate problems pretty quickly on the consoles.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
FeD.nL said:
Chapter sixteen spoilers:

Begins with joining up with a squad of blood ravens, then half way thru an additional squad of ultramarines fighting side by side to take the bridge
That was the highlight of the game in my opinion.

Corto

leng jai said:

It is not. You are a Ultramarine deployed on a forge world invaded by millions of orks to retrieve some tech to fall in to their hands. The architecture is a mixture of futuristic gothic human settings and Ork barbaric war structures throughout. Let's just hope a sequle includes planet hopping to ensure more diversity...

Salazar

Not even planet hopping. Put me on Terra. Send waves of crazy warp shit my way.

Catacombs, palaces, barracks, slums. Potential for locals to punily attempt to rebel against you.

Corto

Salazar said:
Not even planet hopping. Put me on Terra. Send waves of crazy warp shit my way.

That will be Space Marine 3. The end of the Captain Titus trilogy. ;)

edit: I want Titan fighting also. Let Titus eat a brain of a pilot and put in on the commands of one these beauties.

I want to battle aboard the Imperial Navy in some sort of expansion, as previously stated. I want to fly an Ultramarine boarding vessel into a Chaos Planetkiller (post-Gothic War...perhaps one of those mysterious alleged sightings after its demise under Arkham) and take that bastion of unbridled pride and rot down from the inside. One can only imagine the horrors lurking within a Planetkiller.

Planet_Killer_illustration.jpg

And may as well throw in my two favourite ships in the Imperial Navy, the Dauntless class light cruiser...

Dauntless_Light_Cruiser.jpg

...and the Apocalypse class Battleship:

ApocalypseClassBattleship.JPG

Utterly unapologetic BFG fanboy. If they can fit a battle within the ships as a fleet engagement rages, I'd be ecstatic.

Already this has become my Halo, if inferred as more a slower-paced and enjoyable sci-fi romp. To the Halo decriers, this is no insult.

Jinaar

MP Notes from last night:

*HOURS PLAYED: 4
*LEVEL: 13
*WEAPONS USED/UNLOCKED: Melta Gun/LasCannon/Plasma Gun/Stalker Bolter/Bolter/Power Sword/Chain Sword/Power Axe
*MODES PLAYED: Both

+ Maps have variety of attack and choak points. This can be seen on maps like the broken bridge, with 3 capture points, B being in the middle. B can be held by a Devastator and a Tactical Marine indefinitely if position just right, they work together to protect each other and if the other team just cannot think outside the box. :) My team got raped there last night. If only we went underneath, or taken the stairs to the right and dropped behind them.... if only ^_^
+ Challenges are fun to explore and strive for, especially with their abilities to unlock other perks.
+ Customization is fawesome.
+ Weapon variety is the spice of life. My Assault/Raptor marines die if try to slash my opponent to death. But if I throw in Blind Grenades, slash 1-3 times until I see their armor disperse, then take out my Bolt Pistol and one shot my opponent in the head with it, life just got a hell of easier on me. There is a reason why each weapons stats shows what they do against Armor and Health. Very important and adds to the complexity of the Multiplayer.
+ Weapons really pack a visual and audible punch.
+ Spawning on team members. Relic nailed this. You can only spawn on Capture points, Home starting location, or on Tactical Marines with the perk that allows people to spawn on them. To spawn at your Home Location is almost instant from death, but to spawn on a Capture or Tactical Marine location, it can take up to 10 seconds I believe. The discrepancy in spawning time forces your hand to choose wisely and can change the flow of that moment of the game if you choose right. I really like this (Compared to BF:BadComp2's squad based spawning just as quick as on a base)

- When the Host is running a wireless Aircard in the Artic Basin to connect their XBOX to LIVE. Last night our Host was 19K:4D and had a full bar of Internets. The other 15 people in the game all sat at the last littles red bar of no Internets. Really? Come on, Relic. The game should be smart enough to rehost it immediately. Everyone was rubberbanding and ghosting around while he went around murdering. (this was a rare occurance, most games were lag free last night, but Hosting has its issues)
- Lack of Maps. Needs more maps.
- Personal negative here: Executions. They should have left the ability to do a unique execution, ala Gears of War chaingun or Bad Company 2 Knife stab in the back. It is something small but soooooooo rewarding. This would be huge to me.

I think that is it for now. I am getting a freakin' HUGE Transformers:War For Cybertron MP vibe here, as well as class complexity ala Shadowrun.

Personally, I think Multiplayer aspects of games need to expand, this being fueled by my love for the Battlefield series. A match in BF is something amazing to partake in compared to regular multiplayer games. I hope Relic gets a chance to do Space Marine a 2nd time and expand on the scope of multiplayer, especially the maps in regards to size, scale and additions.

Loving Space Marine.

Salazar

Pretty sure MP maps will follow pretty swiftly after the co-op DLC, which should then get a few new maps of its own.

Pretty sure. It is, Relic keep saying, up to THQ. And their decisions/communication skills are fucked.

Lol, thanks Pylon_Trooper. A barrage indeed :)

Salazar said:
Pretty sure MP maps will follow pretty swiftly after the co-op DLC, which should then get a few new maps of its own.

Pretty sure. It is, Relic keep saying, up to THQ. And their decisions/communication skills are fucked.

Amen to that. I'm sure Raph could have given me a simple yes or no to the solo/bot Exterminatus mode, but instead, diverted me to Mathew "Sledgehammer70" Everett and I'm laced into a holding pattern over the town of "Simple Questions Not Answered". We'll see.

Determined to get you that answer.

Here's hoping. You've certainly put a spotlight on the issue.

I had to be a little mealy-mouthed in the tweets, but oh how I wanted to take the fellow by the ears and snarl obscenities relating to how a development head either won't divulge OR doesn't know about certain aspects of the very game he's been working on for the past couple of years.

Grrr. And such.

FeD.nL

I just finished to singleplayer campaign on hard. Absolutely loved it.

Let me get this out of the way first, yes the game has it's flaws but they are completely washed away by the sheer fun I was having while playing through the campaign. The enemies your fighting are varied, the challege on hard was exactly right, the weapons felt good and the campaign has a nice length. While playing you really feel the love Relic has for the IP. From the banter of imperial guardsman to the sound a bolter makes. But their biggest accomplishment is making you feel like a Space Marine captain of the Ultramarines.

And that's just it. Where in a lot of games of late pushing a button is just that, pushing a button leaving a slight disconnection to the action behind. In Space Marine you really feel the force behind everything. From the excellent sound design to sticking your chainsword through an unfortunate Ork you always feel connected to the action that happens on your screen.

If your looking for a game that's just a blast to play through from start to finish look no futher. As mentioned before there are some flaws, some clipping during executions and some ugly textures here and there among others, but you will completely forgive them while pummeling down with your jetpack and thrusting you mighty power hammer down on whichever foe tries to defy you.

Which rests me with just one last thing:

FOR THE EMPEROR!

markatisu

Corto said:
I want Titan fighting also. Let Titus eat a brain of a pilot and put in on the commands of one these beauties.

Sooooo this :)

Man I love when you go into a empty area but see a bunch of ammo containers and just know that in a few minutes there is going to be a insane amount of orks coming at you and you have to stragetize because if you go guns blazing you die, if you go sword/axe in you die.

And I think after playing for 6-8hrs there is nothing more satisfying then being super low on health and taking cover till you find that one Ork you can execute to get your health meter back up

Salazar

Yeah. I didn't have the sense that it has been an exceptionally messy dev process, except that this mode didn't make it out with the game. Of course, we're privy to hardly anything, so it could have been totally fucked up.

But it makes zero sense, post-release of the campaign and MP, and not very far away from co-op dropping, to ummm and ahhh and "we will disclose further details later" about the nature and basic accessibility of the game.

Especially as their online release has been arguably botched. And as they talked about it being a marvellously substantial singleplayer experience but appear to have overstated the campaign length a touch.

Jarate

Banned
Las Cannon is still completely OP

Assault Marines also are terrible compared to the two other classes

Tactical has Melta Guns and Devastators have Las Cannons/the stomp

but yeah, unless relic patches this game for balance (doubt it) then this game will die a lonely painful death on multiplayer

It's a shame because multiplayer is fun, and the most fun class is probably the weakest

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Jarate said:

but yeah, unless relic patches this game for balance (doubt it) then this game will die a lonely painful death on multiplayer

It's a shame because multiplayer is fun, and the most fun class is probably the weakest

It's a bit early to call anything OP. Give it a week or so.

Jinaar

Jarate said:

Change your style up. Like I said above, a mate of mine was murdering people via the Assault class last night by simply sword/axe striking till you see their armor disperse (you can literally see it phase off your opponent when drained to zero) and then pull out your Bolt Pistol and shoot their face. Most times you can one shot them in the face as they have no armor on. Even better, just blind them first and do that. Or use a StimPack, get the "jump" on them and violate their armored behind.

I'm not going to argue that there could be imbalances in the weapons, but I will argue to the fact that the classes are not being used effectively just yet. It has only been Day One. You cannot master a class out of the gate. Once people get a feel for the controls, weapons, tactics and more, you will see people outclassing you with combinations you wouldn't think of.

Jarate

Banned
Alienshogun said:
It's a bit early to call anything OP. Give it a week or so.

how can it be, the gun has by far this best DPS, the best range and can be coupled with the stomp to completely cripple Assault Marines

Jarate

Banned
Jinaar said:
Change your style up. Like I said above, a mate of mine was murdering people via the Assault class last night by simply sword/axe striking till you see their armor disperse (you can literally see it phase off your opponent when drained to zero) and then pull out your Bolt Pistol and shoot their face. Most times you can one shot them in the face as they have no armor on. Even better, just blind them first and do that. Or use a StimPack, get the "jump" on them and violate their armored behind.

I'm not going to argue that there could be imbalances in the weapons, but I will argue to the fact that the classes are not being used effectively just yet. It has only been Day One. You cannot master a class out of the gate. Once people get a feel for the controls, weapons, tactics and more, you will see people outclassing you with combinations you wouldn't think of.
a stomp to you while you're meleeing and then a las cannon to the face kills right away

I wouldn't be so mad at them either if they didn't produce people who just stood in the back of the map, shooting at you with the las cannons and taking you down all the way to half your red bar gone. It's not so much the weapon being OP, cause that's obvious, it's just the playstyle behind the gun. It's like the difference in the OP style of the Famas and the early AK74u, famas never pissed me off, the 74u did

EDIT: also, assault marines aren't horrific, I was able to maintain a over 1 K/D, it's just that it's the weaker link, he is countered by two guns , when really, he was balanced enough without those 2 guns

Boogdud

Jarate said:

Personally I found the tactical to be a little lackluster. Meltas are fine if you're 5 feet from someone, but getting close to someone when your only method of transportation is barrel rolling at them from range isn't much of a threat. They (the class) seem to be the worst of both worlds. Not as mobile as the assault, not as tough as a devastator and worse weapons, and none of the weapons are particularly awesome for the tac. Aside from one close range weapon.

Assaults have the mobility advantage in spades, and if you are trying to only melee everything as an assault it might be weak. But if you are smart about choosing your fights (which you should, since you are by FAR the most mobile) then they are very good indeed. Launching and dropping grenades right before landing on a foe or group of foes is deadly. Also final vengeance or whatever it's called is pretty much a guaranteed kill, even though you died. Though Assaults that die, probably weren't fighting very smart.

Devastators. I don't know where to start. They are the absolute baddest, world-rocking hell-raining champions of the multi. Two or three at a node are absolute destroyers of worlds. In the death match game you can pretty much take 3 devas put them in a corner and win. NOTHING touches you, with the extra armor perks you are unstoppable. I've been 'dug in' and had two grenades thrown on me AND final vengeance and still lived. They didn't. Hell at one point I got a 9 kill streak while guarding a node by myself. Unreal.

Having said all that, I'm still only like level 22.

Jinaar

I haven't been stomped by a Devastator yet so I cannot comment what that could do to an Assault Marine (IE: does it stun?)

But I have witnessed good Assault Marines being able to dash in, swipe, dash out fast, bolt, etc and win fights against all classes. Their K/D said as much. Anyways, I will need to test or have it tested on me how much Stomp can effect an attacking Assault Marine, so I will leave this part of the discussion to another time.

As for LasCannon sniping.... well I guess that is like any sort of Sniper class in any game. We all hate being sniped :)

JoeBoy101

Jarate said:
how can it be, the gun has by far this best DPS, the best range and can be coupled with the stomp to completely cripple Assault Marines

The Lascannon is alright, but I found a mounted heavy bolter to be a far better suppression device. There's just too long between shots of the lascannon to make it good at short distances.

Boogdud

It's kind of hard to get angry at a devastator for killing you at range. That's the only thing they're designed to do... ;)

markot

Banned
Played for 40ish minutes. Love it. And I was genuinely surprised that it had fmv that wasnt al pixelated >.< even portal 2 had that, and deus ex has it in spades >.>

ironcreed

Banned
jediyoshi said:
thread needs more customizer shots

Qgttk.jpg

Chaos Marine on the right looks completely and utterly badass. I mainly want to play multiplayer just so I can mess around with all of the options and customize my own guy. I am going Chaos all the way as well.

I passed on this to get Dead Island, since some friends needed a fourth for co-op. Needless to say when I hopped online their party was full, and I instantly regretted it. That said, if anyone wants to swap their copy (360/Ps3) for dead island (360) when they are done with it, shoot me a PM.

devon the dude said:
I passed on this to get Dead Island, since some friends needed a fourth for co-op. Needless to say when I hopped online their party was full, and I instantly regretted it. That said, if anyone wants to swap their copy (360/Ps3) for dead island (360) when they are done with it, shoot me a PM.

You want to trade Dead Island in because your friends' party was full? Wha?

Mr. Snrub said:
You want to trade Dead Island in because your friends' party was full? Wha?

Didn't have a lot of desire to play it to begin with, but figured it might be fun with friends. Friends party will be full, they start playing earlier than I can, therefore I'm playing it solo, when I'd rather be playing a game I originally had more interest in, Warhammer.

vaelic

Banned
devon the dude said:
Didn't have a lot of desire to play it to begin with, but figured it might be fun with friends. Friends party will be full, they start playing earlier than I can, therefore I'm playing it solo, when I'd rather be playing a game I originally had more interest in, Warhammer.
sounds like you need to learn how to control your spending

So how is this game for people unfamiliar with this universe? From what I seen, this seems more like a brawler than the usual shooter, which I kinda dig.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
chickdigger802 said:
So how is this game for people unfamiliar with this universe? From what I seen, this seems more like a brawler than the usual shooter, which I kinda dig.
I don't know squat about Warhammer 40k and the game was fun.

chickdigger802 said:

What little I know of Warhammer is based off of what time I've spent playing Dawn of War 2, which this game has me wanting to go back and play. So far Space Marine has been a tremendously enjoyable experience. The combat is pretty simple, it always starts off ranged, devolves into a melee scrum and has some real basic controls/combos but it's got *a lot* of payoff.

Based off of the two hours I've spent playing, my only complaint thus far is you don't get to use the jetpack enough (sooooooo much fun), and there's been only one heavy bolter to use thus far.

markatisu

chickdigger802 said:

They give you enough backstory for those unfamiliar to know the main point.

You can play it as a brawler or a traditional shooter, its the mix of the two and mastering that which makes it so badass

daedalius

Mmmm, 18-3 in a seize ground game with Stalker bolter, man I love this gun. Now I just need to get to level 13 so I can carry it and another weapon.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I've been going through the campaign on PC but using a 360pad... am I going to get mudholed if I try to use it in multiplayer?

daedalius

Mattdaddy said:
I've been going through the campaign on PC but using a 360pad... am I going to get mudholed if I try to use it in multiplayer?

Eh, I doubt it. The game is much more than just shooting, movement and melee feels better to me with the pad. But if you want to just use the lascannon all the time, the mouse might be the way to go ;)

Mattdaddy said:
I kind of prefer the feel of the 360pad to the mouse+keyboard setup for this game, actually. I've ranked up to 6 in multiplayer using nothing but the 360pad on the PC version and haven't had any trouble doing well. Once I got the hang of the game I've managed to be in the top 3 players of my team every round and maintain a positive kill:death ratio.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with the 360pad.

Jarate said:

Well...in the actual game, not THIS game, but the table top game. Las Cannons are pretty much the tits when it comes to firepower for Space Marines so...

Whenever I ran across a guy carrying a las cannon, or saw their beams streaking across the screen, I headed the other fuckin way because...it's a las cannon.

Flank the guy, or...better...attack him with three or more guys. Las cannons are single target. He can't one-shot all of you at once.

Jarate said:

"Terrible" huh?

Assault marines are just fine. They seemed to be pounding guys plenty in the games I was playing.

Jarate said:

So seriously...what multiplayer games do YOU play that you believe are balanced?

The multi is balanced very, very well. It is very easy to spawn trap or get trapped in the seize ground game mode though. I stopped playing it with randoms.

Top Bottom