• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Anyone know how many parts/chapters total? I'd look at the achievements but I don't wanna spoil anything. Currently on Part II Chapter 6 after 110 mins of play.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Kicking some ass in Annihilation mode. I don't think it'll have long term appeal, but it's good, hectic fun.

Lostconfused said:
This one of the laggiest game I have had the misfortune of playing in recent time. If only such a thing as dedicated service existed and that devs would be able to take advantage of such a miraculous device to make their game better.

Xbox 360 here...zero issues with lag.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The first series of games I played were lag free, but I joined a different session and it was a mess. Hopefully they get this ironed out soon, cuz the multiplayer seems like fun.

ironcreed

Banned
Tomorrow for me. Amazon shipped it out finally. Kind of bummed to hear that it is so short, but I know I will enjoy the ride and the multiplayer will add some value as well.

Salazar

ironcreed said:
Tomorrow for me. Amazon shipped it out finally. Kind of bummed to hear that it is so short, but I know I will enjoy the ride and the multiplayer will add some value as well.

Maybe if you just stroll everywhere like a hardass and don't run at all, it will stretch it out nicely.

Ah, I love reviews.

There isn't much beyond a fluid mix of hack-and-slash and third-person shooter gaming to admire.

A fuck-awesome mix of fuck-awesome hack and slash and fuck-awesome shooting.

ironcreed

Banned
Salazar said:
Maybe if you just stroll everywhere like a hardass and don't run at all, it will stretch it out nicely.

LOL, I'll probably be far too busy mowing through the hordes to stroll. Seriously, I loved the combat in the demo so much that I can easily see myself replaying something like this anyway. I was just under the impression that it was going to be a tad longer, but no biggie. I am sure I'll love the game.

Mrbob

This might be my favorite screenshot so far. Timed it perfectly. Power Axe to the back of an Ork!

34so6xc.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^ Awesome. I love the Ork's facial expressions as they're being executed in gruesome ways.

Anyways, just unlocked the customizer. I haven't tried capture yet, but I'm enjoying the deathmatch mode. Overall, this game is a very nice package.

Valravn

Im playing this game on hard and its quite the challenge. Fury mode in a horde of greenskins? Invincible? I think not. A horde of Slugga Boyz defeat me quite easily.

Are there boss fights in this game? I expected to fight that Cybork Warboss eventually, but no. :(

I'm enjoying this game and all but...

I hate the pacing on some of these levels. I don't know if I'm using the right term but basically on some levels it's like:

walk through empty room, activate door, walk through empty room activate elevator, get off elevator, walk through empty room, HOARD, walk through empty room...

It's annoying as fuck sometimes, so far the only level (so far) that this hasn't stuck out to me is the swers whee you'll occasionally fight one Ork or two in between the walking and the hoards.

I know its been said again and again, but combat in this game is fucking pulse pounding.

Like Arkham Asylum, when you see a giant pack of bruisers charging your way, all you can do is crack your knuckles, plant your feet and smile. The fun is about to begin, again.

I'm also glad to see some more personality to the environments as the game progresses. Good enough that I took some time to scour levels for details and audio logs.

Also gave multiplayer a spin for a few team deathmatches. First game was a laggy mess, but the second was pretty smooth. It seems like its all gunplay except for the damn jetpackers who cut you in half. Have to give it more time to see if its as simplistic as it looks so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Like Arkham Asylum, when you see a giant pack of bruisers charging your way, all you can do is crack your knuckles, plant your feet and smile.

and then charge + melee into the crowd, I deal with my problems head on

so good, just got the hammer and it wrecks shit

Snuggler said:
and then charge + melee into the crowd, I deal with my problems head on
That running tackle never gets old does it?

My main problem is that I kick so much ass that I think I'm untouchable, only to get cut down in moments by biting off more than I can chew. I like that though. It keeps things interesting just when you think there's nothing more to learn. The name of the game is brutality, audacious brutality, balanced by poise.

Replaying this on harder difficulties may be a humbling experience.

markot

Banned
NullPointer said:
That running tackle never gets old does it?

My main problem is that I kick so much ass that I think I'm untouchable, only to get cut down in moments by biting off more than I can chew. I like that though. It keeps things interesting just when you think there's nothing more to learn. The name of the game is brutality, audacious brutality, balanced by poise.

Replaying this on harder difficulties may be a humbling experience.
Yeah, I liked that in the demo. You kinda 'feel' like you can wade in and just kick ass, but you really have to mix it up in order to survive. (I died like 5 times in the demo >.<)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm looking forward to playing on hard once I'm done with my first run through.

I'm really looking forward to the co-op missions, hopefully Relic can get them out soon because it sounds so good right now. Multiple player controlled space marines will be downright devastating, hopefully the Ork's can keep up.

Snuggler said:
I'm really looking forward to the co-op missions, hopefully Relic can get them out soon because it sounds so good right now.

I hope the community holds till then. Although I hope there will be enough W40K fans for that.

markot

Banned
I really think a last stand mode, ala dawn of war 2, would kick ass in this game >.< (I guess thats kind horde mode?)(But I would like to see other race heroes ^_^)

daedalius

So 2am rolls around and I decide to leave the last 1/3rd of the campaign for tomorrow; I'll just play 1 round of multiplayer.

Nope, played about 5. So much fun, wow. Love Seize Ground.

Just put in several hours of play. Damn, this game is fuck awesome.I leveled up 4 in multi and unlocked the Customizer so I can now use my Power Sword and preorder skins from Gamestop.

Played the campaign for an hour too, so good. Can't wait to play more tomorrow and looking forward to when the "horde" mode is released next month.

By the way, it looks like Relic/THQ just released a FREE premium theme on '360. It's pretty sweet.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright just cleared it in about 7 hours on normal.

The Good:
+ The combat is glorious. The weapons are best in breed, every single one of them feels amazing to use and deal mayhem like nothing else. The seamless integration of ranged combat and melee is brilliant as well. They nailed this as hard as they possibly could.
+ Eschewing cover and regenerating health for the execution system was brilliant. Combat is constant and flowing. No playing peekabo with distant enemies while shoulder humping chest high walls. Thank you Relic. Thank you.
+ The graphics are overall pretty great. The game is smooth and fluid even when there are like 50+ characters from 3 different armies all fighting each other in a grand insane battle, very impressive engine tech running this. Characters look great as well with very good facial animations and lip synching.
+ Enemy variety is great, between Orks and Chaos there is something like 15ish enemy types which is quite a lot.
+ Mark Strong is awesome as Captain Titus.
+ The scale of the world and the battles is truly epic. The game oozes 40k out of every pore. I don't think a developer in the history of games has truly had mastery over a 3rd party IP like Relic does with WH40K.
+ Soundtrack is great, does a good job dynamically switching between ambient and pulse pounding epic stuff based on whats going on.
+ Motherfucking Jetpack.

The Bad:
- Too short really, not moreso then it's contemporaries but I'd like to have seem some more meat on the bones.
- Multiplayer on the PC is a mess at the moment, hopefully this gets fixed.
- It could have used a tiny bit more variety. They do a decent job of switching things up with the types of encounters, some turret stuff and of course the motherfucking jetpack, but I think some other types of gameplay could have spruced things up a bit. It's not a huge deal because the combat is so amazing but still.
- The story was decent but incredibly predictable. I was reminded of the scene in Firefly with the toy dinosaurs: "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Fantastic game. Loved it to bits. Probably my favorite third person shooter since Max Payne 2. I hope to god this sells like crazy so we can get more.

Salazar

Cheers, Sinatar.

I hope the health mechanic gets some play in other games. It is a terrific incentive to fight in a confident, badass way, and once you do it enough, you actually do become - or feel like - a confident badass.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just finished it. A fun experience, which reminded me of War for Cybertron - whole game boils to fighting, which is not a bad thing, but I wish it had a bit more enemy types.
As for the length, it was perfect for me, if it was 2-3 more hours longer it could feel repetitive.
All in all it's a 8 type of game, but I've yet to test the multiplayer on Friday, when the game unlocks in Poland and I'll be able to use the online mode again.

Here's my minus album with screenshots. Sadly, I always forgot to take those during fights, so it's mostly scenery.

Salazar

Keiician said:
I've yet to test the multiplayer on Friday, when the game unlocks in Poland and I'll be able to use the online mode again.

Sounds like it might be a good thing to wait. The matchmaking is apparently a bit crap. Relic are reiterating that dedicated servers are an impossibility.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Salazar said:
Sounds like it might be a good thing to wait. The matchmaking is apparently a bit crap. Relic are reiterating that dedicated servers are an impossibility.
Somehow I really doubt that they'll fix the multiplayer so fast (if at all).

Fjordson

Campaign is so fun. Only played five chapters, but man, it's a total blast.

Completely random note: In the 40K universe, lieutenant is pronounced "left-tenant"? Never knew that until now.

derFeef

Fjordson said:
Campaign is so fun. Only played five chapters, but man, it's a total blast.

Completely random note: In the 40K universe, lieutenant is pronounced "left-tenant"? Never knew that until now.
I think that is a british thing.

I think I am too into the lore to enjoy it as a game. Since I am playing with the world eaters color scheme I can't pick any class that doesn't have a chain axe. I also tried to get rid of all the armor pieces with the symbol of chaos undivided on it, and kind of want armor DLC so I could make a proper berserker.

Salazar

remz said:
Holy shit yes! can you roll like that in SP?

If someone can work up a crazy mod so I can do all this white knight planet saving shit while looking like Abaddon, that would please me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So this sci-fi themed 300 game is pretty fucking awesome. Best action system in a long time. As Sinatar said, removing a traditional sticky cover system and health regin in favour of execution kills was a stroke of simplistic genius. Its amazing how little things can completely change the flavour of an entire game.

I dont mind the repetitive encounters in the campaign as the action is good, but if I had one complaint its that the environments are pretty bland (so far, and I'm not finished). They do the best they can with what they're given, but so far its been remixed versions of existing environments, and the same colour palette and architecture repeated over and over. It makes sense given the context of the setting, but it does make me wish for planet hopping, or just some variety to the locals for extra zazz.

The only other issue is that it doesn't look anywhere near as good as it could, and is light years away from a technical showpiece, but its still nice to look at and I'm not too anal bout these things.

Otherwise Imma just gonna keep on killing.

Top Bottom