• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

shuri

Banned
What would be great is some sort of horde mode against waves and waves of bad guys and you could play as your space marine mp character.

Salazar

shuri said:
What would be great is some sort of horde mode against waves and waves of bad guys and you could play as your space marine mp character.

That's more or less exactly what is coming as free DLC in early October.

They're just being vague as fuck about whether it can be solo-ed, or if it requires a four player team, or whatever the fuck. If they can't even be bothered to explain a mode to people intensely interested in it, or if they think it's clever to withhold details about an already delayed part of the game, then they should look for work outside of PR.

Darklord

Banned
shuri said:

It's coming soon and free.

EatChildren said:
Its going to bomb.

Because THQ did a fucking shit job of promoting it. There are barely any reviews even. The name doesn't help either. I don't care if it's about Space Marines. It's an awful, generic name.

I'm really enjoying it though. Fun as hell.

Tadale

I finished it on hard, and it was a good challenge. I really wish there was more depth to the character progression in single player – it was always really exciting to get a new weapon or upgrade, but I wish I had more control over it. Dead Space does it right – that kind of upgrade system would have done well in Space Marine, I think.

About it bombing. I wonder what the built in hardcore fan base will do for sales?

Pretty much anybody that reads the books or buys the 30 dollar plastic minis and 10 dollar a shade paints will buy this game, I just wonder what that is world wide?

Salazar

Anerythristic said:
Pretty much anybody that reads the books or buys the 30 dollar plastic minis and 10 dollar a shade paints will buy this game, I just wonder what that is world wide?

Don't forget the washes, man. We pay for lightly coloured water.

Salazar

Megalodactyl said:
So yeah, I am really interested in the books now, any suggestions on where to start?

Horus Heresy - first three books in order then go crazy.

Omnibuses - any of them. They're all fucking cool. Especially Space Wolves and Soul Drinkers and Grey Knights. Blood Angels, which I've just started, is good stuff.

Dan Abnett's Gaunt books. All fucking rad.

Ravenor and Eisenhorn.

There's other awesome shit, but start anywhere from that stuff.

Tadale

markot said:
I doubt itll bomb, but it wont set the world on fire.

If only THQ backed this over.... lets say Homefront >_>

I didn't even think about that. It's incredible how little publicity this got compared to Homefront – I finished Homefront, and that game wasn't very good at all.

daedalius

I imagine the game will do AT LEAST as well as the Dawn of War series, as almost everyone from the DoW2 boards has picked up the game, and DoW2+expansions has performed pretty well.

But, it also won't sell like Starcraft or Gears, but I think it will do decent; probably not all in one month either.

THQ hasn't really done a good job promoting it besides ads online, but at least they usually have them on the 40k websites. I swear I saw reviews on the random 40k sites I visit before any gaming review sites, apparently they were targeting that built-in audience.

Valravn

I wonder how people receive this game that are unfamiliar with the Warhammer 40k universe. Are there people here who the play the game but know nothing or little about the lore?

Darklord

Banned
Obsidian said:
I wonder how people receive this game that are unfamiliar with the Warhammer 40k universe? Are there people here who the play the game but know nothing to little about the lore?

All I know is what was in the Dawn of War series.

markot

Banned
Tadale said:
I didn't even think about that. It's incredible how little publicity this got compared to Homefront – I finished Homefront, and that game wasn't very good at all.
Homefront was a Cod clone though, they thought they could get some of that cod gravy. Just like EA went all out on medal of honour.

Obsidian said:
I wonder how people receive this game that are unfamiliar with the Warhammer 40k universe. Are there people here who the play the game but know nothing or little about the lore?

I bought it, I know nothing of the series except for slight interest I have whenever they go on sale. I really like it so far and would like to get into some of the other games. No clue where to start though

markot

Banned
Snkfanatic said:
I bought it, I know nothing of the series except for slight interest I have whenever they go on sale. I really like it so far and would like to get into some of the other games. No clue where to start though
All the dawn of war games are good. If you dont mind oldish games the original and sequel also dark crusade are all pretty awesome imo, the last one, I forget the name, but its not that good compared to the others, its single player is pretty much just.... bleh. Then you have the 3 dow 2 games to play as well ^_^

IF you like RTS games you will like them, and the warhammeriness just adds to the awesome. Plus you can experience different races, settings and more of the universe over all.

Xevren

Obsidian said:

I'm in that camp. I played the demo and loved it, decided to give it a shot and enjoying it so far.

Valravn

Darkshier said:
Same here. I wish Space Marine was more like DoW though...

I would have liked that too. Maybe a bit like Brothers in Arms; gameplay wise. Giving order to your troops. But that would have made this hack n' shoot game a tactical shooter.

Salazar

Darkshier said:
Same here. I wish Space Marine was more like DoW though...

If that's our game, I wish it was a manly as all hell Star Wars: Battlefront, with a heap of races.

But this campaign has been good to me so far. Not gonna lie.

markot said:
All the dawn of war games are good. If you dont mind oldish games the original and sequel also dark crusade are all pretty awesome imo, the last one, I forget the name, but its not that good compared to the others, its single player is pretty much just.... bleh. Then you have the 3 dow 2 games to play as well ^_^

IF you like RTS games you will like them, and the warhammeriness just adds to the awesome. Plus you can experience different races, settings and more of the universe over all.

I see the DOW 2 games go on sale pretty frequently. Is there a specific one that would give me a great idea of what these games are like? I do like strategy games for sure, I am a huge starcraft fan (singleplayer only though, I hate playing strategy online lol)

I'd like to know what the Dawn of War numbers are like, particular either Dawn of War 2 vanilla or Retribution, when set against Space Marine.

Relic seem to do okay for themselves, so instead of "bomb", let us apply "sleeper hit" and revel in the inevitable sequel it'll get.

Bugger the peanut gallery and their comfort blanket franchises with a squig.

EDIT: All this talk of DoW: Retribution...if my budget wasn't blown to smithereens, I'd love to pick that up.

markot

Banned
Snkfanatic said:
I see the DOW 2 games go on sale pretty frequently. Is there a specific one that would give me a great idea of what these games are like? I do like strategy games for sure, I am a huge starcraft fan (singleplayer only though, I hate playing strategy online lol)
There are demos for a few of the dawn of war games on steam, try em out. I hate rts online too >.> but I like single player.

THQ seem to be a farts whisper away from death, they'll probably put all their marketing behind the new saints row. Which i suppose is a known quantity for them, as far as i'm aware those games do sell well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
While it'll likely outsell DoW2, this is multi-platform and that's nice for a 40k game - and should result in some more sales.

But bomb? Yeah. Sub 100k I predict. Some due to lack of advertising, some due to its perceived level of being generic (the curse of being the originators, really) and some due to the gaming season about to burst, balls out. A shame, but hopefully it makes them money. I don't really care about how well it sells, but I'd like to see it make money. That's all I care about...cos I'd like them to take a chance and make another.

daedalius

Pylon_Trooper said:
I'd like to know what the Dawn of War numbers are like, particular either Dawn of War 2 vanilla or Retribution, when set against Space Marine.

Relic seem to do okay for themselves, so instead of "bomb", let us apply "sleeper hit" and revel in the inevitable sequel it'll get.

Bugger the peanut gallery and their comfort blanket franchises with a squig.

EDIT: All this talk of DoW: Retribution...if my budget wasn't blown to smithereens, I'd love to pick that up.

Ret was just on sale not too long ago, you missed it :p

The single player in Ret is fun, but I thought the campaign in Chaos Rising was significantly better. Multiplayer is awesome as always for an RTS, I am just as not into multiplayer RTS games as I am shooters, but I still have some significant time into Ret.

Valravn

DoW 2 is a bit different that the standard RTS. You dont have base building (Retribution does have it, i think) but you get the command of a select order of troops. It works really well. :)

Valravn

Pylon_Trooper said:
Yeah, it's an intriguing concept. I fiddled about with the original games, but they're a little different to the second iteration, I hear.

DoW 1 is more like a traditional RTS game; base and unit construction and of course resource management.

Salazar

Will have to get back to you. I catch a plane in a few hours and I should really have got some sleep.

Casual estimate: 3 fucktons.

Valravn

Before release i saw some screenshots portraying some Deff Dreads (walker vehicles). Pity that they have been pulled from the campaign. :(

Im talking about these things:

m890293a_99120103023_OrkDeffDread1_445x319.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sunflower said:
While it'll likely outsell DoW2, this is multi-platform and that's nice for a 40k game - and should result in some more sales.

But bomb? Yeah. Sub 100k I predict. Some due to lack of advertising, some due to its perceived level of being generic (the curse of being the originators, really) and some due to the gaming season about to burst, balls out. A shame, but hopefully it makes them money. I don't really care about how well it sells, but I'd like to see it make money. That's all I care about...cos I'd like them to take a chance and make another.
Sub 100,000 in a month? There are 12,500 concurrent users playing it on Steam and it's 10AM in Eastern America, 3PM in the UK.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lyphen said:
Sub 100,000 in a month? There are 15,000 concurrent users playing it on Steam and it's 10AM in Eastern America, 3PM in the UK.

I say this because life isn't fair, and has a way of reminding me I like the wrong things. But I love what I love. <3

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
markot said:
What would be great is piloting a dreadnaught >_<!

You'd have to pretty much die though, first, no? Or am I misinterpreting the lore?

Salazar said:
If that's our game, I wish it was a manly as all hell Star Wars: Battlefront, with a heap of races.

But this campaign has been good to me so far. Not gonna lie.
Relic, read this post and find your inspiration for Space Marine 2. That would be the greatest multiplayer game of all time, ALL TIME!

Sunflower said:
You'd have to pretty much die though, first, no? Or am I misinterpreting the lore?

EVEN IN DEATH I STILL SERVE!

daedalius

12,500 concurrent?

Wow, that is a lot more online than even when Retribution had JUST released, lol.

No numbers for xbox, but when searching I do find a lot of games really quickly. Drop-in drop-out is super nice for finding games quickly.

Valravn

Sunflower said:

Not die, but crippled and/or misformed. Why only the severe wounded? Because you need to be connected to this machine and cannot leave it ever again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
daedalius said:
12,500 concurrent?

Wow, that is a lot more online than even when Retribution had JUST released, lol.

No numbers for xbox, but when searching I do find a lot of games really quickly. Drop-in drop-out is super nice for finding games quickly.
More than DoW2 ever had at any expansion's launch, and the series as a whole has gone on to sell well over 6 million copies. So, with three platforms? I think Space Marine may do alright.

Jarate

Banned
why do small releases for multi choose matchmaking over a server browser

tf2 on the 360 sustained itself incredibly well because of that. Matchmaking kills low person games.

Also, unlocked the thunder hammer, it's badass as hell, twin linked bolter is also badass as hell

Hopefull yall the "snipers" leave this game soon because it makes the CP gametype unplayable to me. I had a game where we won 1000 - 18 because the other team just sat back with the heavy bolter and lascannon and took potshots away from any points. It was not fun at all :|

I just played my first multiplayer match on PC.

1) Graphics, controls, xp, unlocks. It's all very nice. There is the founding stone here for something truly good.

2) The Lobby is stupid. It took me 10 minutes to find a game. Then it finds a suitable game, and then it comes back to no suitable games, and repeat.. finally I get a game with 5 other people. 3 vs 3. are you fucking kidding me? And as far as I could see, I couldnt find any ways to select the amount of players or which maps I want to play or the rules. only the two game types.
That's whats so stupid about these lobby games. I cant choose shit. I am not in control of anything. Why are they forcing me to play in ways I dont want?

3) The lag is horrible. granted the server host must have sucked, but then again its not like I choose him. I just wanted to play. if I could get dedicated servers like every other PC game I own(I dont own MW2) then I wouldnt have to deal with this shit.

If Relic is even half the developer Valve is, who made TF2 grow from having little content to a lot more(regardless of what you think about the hat bullshit), Relic should try and fix this.
netcode, dedicated servers, 32 player mp... browser, and so on.

Top Bottom