• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Darklord

Banned
markot said:
What would be great is piloting a dreadnaught >_<!

M1252424_99120101014_SMDreadnought2main_873x627.jpg

Pew Pew PEW! Flame thrower! Arm crusher thingy!

They should let the main character die sometime in the game and turn him into a dreadnought.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just beat it, less than impressed with the last part, but overall a good game. If the coop mode doesn't come out soon I'll just throw this up on amazon.

Darklord said:
They should let the main character die sometime in the game and turn him into a dreadnought.

Or just have you assume the role of a dreadnaught for a specific mission and such. Really be awesome if they would not concentrate on one space marine who apparently does everything, but let you jump around into different marine roles for different areas of the game.

daedalius

Alienshogun said:
Just beat it, less than impressed with the last part, but overall a good game. If the coop mode doesn't come out soon I'll just throw this up on amazon.

Do you mean the
final boss fight? I thought it was handled better than just circle-strafing a daemon-prince with a melta gun until he fell over ;)

VaLiancY

zoner said:
Yep. Melta gun ruins melee. I was a raptor, hit the guy from behind 3 times, he turns around, one shot. dead.

It gives a Marine a chance in melee. Hit him a few times with a Plasma Pistol and then tear him a new one when his shield is down.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
daedalius said:
Do you mean the
final boss fight? I thought it was handled better than just circle-strafing a daemon-prince with a melta gun until he fell over ;)

Yeah,
but it could have been a little better, (shorter), for a QTE it just dragged on.

Was awesome seeing the blood ravens though.

Holy crap, the multi-player is awesome. I'm pissed this game isn't getting enough attention in the media. It's so polished and well-made. Both the SP and MP rock!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Heavy said:
Holy crap, the multi-player is awesome. I'm pissed this game isn't getting enough attention in the media.
Yeah, it sucks. But word of mouth is the best advertisement. Some friends have seen me playing the game on XBL and tried the demo. One of them really enjoyed and is getting the game. The same thing happened with Bayonetta and Vanquish. :)

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Vigilant Walrus said:
If Relic is even half the developer Valve is, who made TF2 grow from having little content to a lot more(regardless of what you think about the hat bullshit), Relic should try and fix this.
netcode, dedicated servers, 32 player mp... browser, and so on.
As much as I agree with a server browser in addition to matchmaking, 32 player mp would be unplayable. 8vs8 is perfect for these map sizes.

My last night playing online went super smooth here in Europe. Some lag here and there but overall very nice. Full games all around, didn't have to wait at all to find a game.

Bazhard

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
I just played my first multiplayer match on PC.

1) Graphics, controls, xp, unlocks. It's all very nice. There is the founding stone here for something truly good.

2) The Lobby is stupid. It took me 10 minutes to find a game. Then it finds a suitable game, and then it comes back to no suitable games, and repeat.. finally I get a game with 5 other people. 3 vs 3. are you fucking kidding me? And as far as I could see, I couldnt find any ways to select the amount of players or which maps I want to play or the rules. only the two game types.
That's whats so stupid about these lobby games. I cant choose shit. I am not in control of anything. Why are they forcing me to play in ways I dont want?

3) The lag is horrible. granted the server host must have sucked, but then again its not like I choose him. I just wanted to play. if I could get dedicated servers like every other PC game I own(I dont own MW2) then I wouldnt have to deal with this shit.

If Relic is even half the developer Valve is, who made TF2 grow from having little content to a lot more(regardless of what you think about the hat bullshit), Relic should try and fix this.
netcode, dedicated servers, 32 player mp... browser, and so on.
Sucks PC is getting laggy games, haven't had any problems on the PS3 (hear the same about 360)

Is there something just wrong with the PC online? everyone i know who plays it on PC gets horrible lag, building a PC in feb so i assume it will be fixed by then.

EatChildren said:
Its going to bomb.

In North America, yes.

In Europe? No.

Dawn of War does mediocre sales in NA all the time, but it's still one of THQ's biggest franchises just because the Warhammer universe is so much bigger in Europe where Games Workshop is based.

Also, multiplayer is finally clicking. Hit lvl 20 last night, and scored most of the performance-based achievements. Now I just need to hit 40 and unlock everything.

5 out of my first 6 games have been smooth, no lag.

I'm shocked at how much customization is in the multi-player, both in terms of appearance and perks and weaps. Just wow... this game. I'm rolling a fucking pink chaos marine right now with spikes growing out of me. It's crazy you can customize all the little parts of your armor.

And the gameplay is so damn good. I'm legitimately pissed Space Marine isn't getting its due.

Assault is my favorite class.

Assault is played properly when the player isn't focused entirely on using melee. Half of my assault kills are pistol kills; kills from bashing armor off with melee, or just straight pistol only kills.

It might be easier for me because I'm on KB/M. Most of my pistol shots are done while I'm strafing around with the jet pack. I couldn't imagine being able to turn that fast and accurately while boost strafing around and trying to shoot a pistol. This could be why a lot of people say assault is under powered. You just aren't able to turn quickly enough on consoles to really play the class like it was meant to be played.

General tips:

Use the bolt pistol if you're confident you can land on the enemy and hit them at least once with your melee to disperse their armor. Bolt pistol them to death after hitting them with melee and after they've rolled away. The bolt pistol clip boost perk is really helpful in this regard, allowing you enough shots to take down anyone without even using melee.

Use the plasma pistol if you're better at shooting people in mid air. Shoot their armor off with your plasma pistol, then land and bash them with melee to finish them off.

The thunder hammer is the best when you learn to use your pistol effectively because you only need one melee hit to destroy health/armor (without the perk).

Don't be afraid to turn around and GTFO. Your jetpacks are the perfect hit and run utility. Unless you have final vengeance on. Then just go in and do maximum damage before dieing.

See Lascannon shots? Get the hell away. Nothing will save you from a sharpshooter. Only engage if you can flank them. They can do shit all against you with a lascannon up close. Stun them before they can stun you.

If you're dieing to devastators because they can mow you down with their heavy bolters, you're doing it wrong. Land behind them. They require time to turn around/undeploy the bolter.

daedalius

I'm loving the charged plasma pistol as assault, instant shield breaks on everything, one melee swing usually means death after that.

I don't find I really like the axe or hammer, they just seem too slow for the quick escapes needed to stay alive as assault, and once someones armor is broken, you can kill them just as quick with a sword. Also, power sword looks awesome.

Davedough

I wont have good enough Internet for 2 weeks. I'm waiting for my place to be done and suffering with ALMOST 1.5Mb/512k internet speeds... I really hope MP is still relevant then. Either way, my GT on 360 is the same as my name here: Davedough.

Davedough

Vilix said:
With that speed you could totally dominate MP. No kidding.

You're kidding right? I cant even stream Netflix right now without it burping every 2 minutes and you think I can run a map? This place has the lowest tier DSL available because its too far from the central office to go any faster.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Davedough said:
You're kidding right? I cant even stream Netflix right now without it burping every 2 minutes and you think I can run a map? This place has the lowest tier DSL available because its too far from the central office to go any faster.

That's his point.

markot said:
What would be great is piloting a dreadnaught >_<!

Pew Pew PEW! Flame thrower! Arm crusher thingy!

Even better would be the new Contemptor model Dreadnaught Forge world just put out. You could justify the shield through its Atomantic Shielding Rule and it features a metric ton of cool and unique features not seen any where else. Best of all since it's scheduled to be the new Chaos Dreadnaught it can be customized.

Boogdud

Davedough said:
I wont have good enough Internet for 2 weeks. I'm waiting for my place to be done and suffering with ALMOST 1.5Mb/512k internet speeds... I really hope MP is still relevant then. Either way, my GT on 360 is the same as my name here: Davedough.

Don't worry, it'll be fun for you. But you'll pretty much ruin the game for everyone with a good connection. Ah, the beauty of totally random p2p garbage netcode.

Tokubetsu

Seriously, I played the MP of this last night with two buddies for two and a half hours. Got all the way to rank 9 and I just started playing.

flyinpiranha said:
This makes me almost not want to finish it. Fuck cliffhangers in games.
There is still resolution at the end. It's satisfying enough, don't sweat it.
Railer said:
Question about the single player game.. How many chapters are there?
Also, sent a request to GAF40K :eek:
17 chapters. My Steam says 11 hours... probably 1.5 hours of MP, 1 hour of alt-tabbed, so around 8 hours on normal difficulty.

shuri

Banned
It would be neat if there was a way to 'prestige' once you reach 41. Your character could sport a new type of armor, or maybe some glowing eyes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The co-op horde mode will be nice, but I really wish there was an single player arena mode of some sort. I just want to destroy shit with no story or fluff inbetween.

Oh well, time to start my hard run.

Orgun

Darklord said:

That would make a great epilogue.

Starts with a black screen, then some lights come on. It brightens when the sides of the drop ship opens and out you step as a dreadnough with your assault cannon fucking pissing ammo into hordes of Tyranids.

Wait wait wait...

DLC mission.

The mission ends with a cut scene of Titus in a "tight spot" and you don't know if he does or doesn't survive while he kicks ass in a desperate last stand.

Fade to black...THEN...

Orgun said:
Starts with a black screen, then some lights come on. It brightens when the sides of the drop pod open and out you step as a dreadnought with your assault cannon fucking pissing ammo into hordes of tyrannids.
You also need landspeeders streaking through the sky over head and a couple rhinos blasting past, only to come to a thundering stop and space marines disembarking.

then...

Begin masturbating for the next Space Marine game with some cameo levels of Titus as a dreadnought.

Oh man. The plasman pistol tears the Raptor/Assault class wide open. No more getting burned by dudes one-shotting you after you swipe them 3 or 4 times.

Just hit them with a few shots (or one charged shot) from the air, nail them with a swipe or two, dead.

Or if you prefer the Bolter Pistol (why?!), you can try dropping in, hitting them a few times, and then pot-shotting them with the pistol as you jump away.

Jarate

Banned
Bolter is good for the hammer, plasma is good for the sword

why would you use the axe?

also, Tactical Marines with a bolter + kraken boolets = massive rape

I went 11-1 in my first game with em, went 7-4 the next with a shitty team

have a positive k/d for most of the day, well over a 2.0 most of the time too

still hate heavy weapons guy marines

Jarate said:
Bolter is good for the hammer, plasma is good for the sword

why would you use the axe?

also, Tactical Marines with a bolter + kraken boolets = massive rape

I went 11-1 in my first game with em, went 7-4 the next with a shitty team

have a positive k/d for most of the day, well over a 2.0 most of the time too

still hate heavy weapons guy marines

I haven't played Annihilation since I got my +10 achievement. Just doesn't feel as fun as the siege mode.

I want the kraken bolts, but I love having a meltagun on hand at any moment for those damn Raptors. :D

Jarate

Banned
The Antitype said:
I haven't played Annihilation since I got my +10 achievement. Just doesn't feel as fun as the siege mode.

Maybe im just unlucky, but the few times I play sieze ground i either had a team full of devastators sitting next to no point lascannoning people, or the opposite team was doing that

maybe i can get some games in with some gaffers, cause that's my preferred gametype if i have a team

Jarate said:
Maybe im just unlucky, but the few times I play sieze ground i either had a team full of devastators sitting next to no point lascannoning people, or the opposite team was doing that

maybe i can get some games in with some gaffers, cause that's my preferred gametype if i have a team

I only play the TDM mode now, so I feel ya. Once it levels out a bit I might try playing Seize with randoms but those 1000 to 200 final scores are demoralizing and its too easy to spawn trap.

Jarate said:

I've definitely been on both sides of the equation, but also had a lot of close matches.

Maybe I'll jump back in Annihilation for a few matches now that I've got my footing.

My K/D in that mode is precariously close to negative though, 1.02 hahaha. Had that one great match for the achievement, then got slaughtered.

Jarate

Banned
The Antitype said:
I've definitely been on both sides of the equation, but also had a lot of close matches.

Maybe I'll jump back in Annihilation for a few matches now that I've got my footing.

My K/D in that mode is precariously close to negative though, 1.02 hahaha. Had that one great match for the achievement, then got slaughtered.

Idk what mine is right now, yesterday i got really high and started playing and my KD suffered because of it.

Still, I like the community so far, although there's a lot of campers and shit, not a lot are being the cheapest campers on earth. Im sure once gears comes out too those people will probably be gone

Im hoping a nice competitive scene will arise out of this. TF2 on the 360 had a good dedicated comp scene that lasted 3-4 years, hoping this will replace it for me :3

Top Bottom