• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
mickcenary said:
Any other time of any other year and I would be contemplating keeping this game, but in light of what's up ahead, it's a no-brainer: it's going back. That's not to say it's bad; I actually REALLY like it, but once Gears is unleashed upon the world, I honestly don't think I'll ever need to put another disc in my 360's tray (well, maybe BF3 here and there).

And that wasn't mean to incite a Gears/SM war; the comparison alone makes my head hurt.

You're not the first to throw it out ... either in jest or completely blood rage serious. On this page even. So no worries.

Still... fenix is a fucking pencil pusher compared to ANYONE in Space Marine ;)

edit: Uhg... last page even.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Eppy Thatcher said:

edit: Uhg... last page even.

Hey now. I think Marcus would make an excellent Space Marine!

george_us said:
Feels like a one trick pony.

That's exactly it for me. It's like Michael Cera or any other uber-typecasted actor. The trick is awesome for a decent time, but then it begins to wear thin.

Eppy Thatcher said:
Are you on Xbox, ps3 or PC? I only ask because all of the issues you talk about i've never run into (besides lag earlier in the day). Some guys have armor. Some guys have fucking thunderhammers man. I don't know. I've never felt entirely ineffectual in this game... and it sounds like that has been the majority of your experience. I kill people consistently because i'm actually hitting them, softening them up and then hopping out of the way to throw down a nade and cover my escape before going right back in for round two.

But. Whatever. I won't try and argue with you if your obviously not having fun with the online.. but it still seems like your trying to blame the game when the issue sounds more like your skill level compared to the people your playing with. Chainsword is the first melee weapon you get for christ sakes. Expecting to cut up opposing Marines like you do the orks in the single player game could seriously bugger your expectations. Git gud.

No, I just expect to kill people with the chainsword in a relatively reasonable amount of time, especially when I am cut down in three-or-so strikes.

I actually find KILLING assault marines very easy as a tactical marine, just back-up, roll and shoot. But when they drop in behind me, or I don't see them, and they start swinging, I die in 3 strikes. I expect the same to happen when the roles are reversed. It does not.

Whatever, I'm over it.

Shuusui

Anyone else slightly annoyed with the achievements?

I have to buy a game to unlock a weapon to eventually unlock a trophy? I'm scratching my head on this one...

george_us said:
For me the problem just comes from the fact that everything is so bland and flat looking. Hardly any detail to the environment at all compared to a lot of games out there.

I'm on Chapter 3 and right now I'm feeling that the complaints about the game getting old fast are valid. It just doesn't feel like there's much at all to the compared other shooters and I feel it's mostly the fault of extremely bland level design. Pretty much all the encounters are "run in straight line, wave of Orks rush you, rinse and repeat". There's hardly any verticality or any other environment interaction at all and using the couple of weapons I have now is getting kind of old. Feels like a one trick pony.
I felt the same way at first, but the game does open up as you progress. The battlespaces get larger and there is more verticality, the enemy types get more varied and you'll still keep getting weapons and power-ups at a steady clip.

If the combat is getting old, either you're doing it wrong or its just not the game for you. But experiment a little - mix up your moves, abuse those power weapons and don't be stingy with your fury.

Sunflower said:
Titus would make a shitty Gear though. Not nearly enough angst and shit talking. Just ruthless efficiency.

MMCLXXXIX kills...

Eppy Thatcher said:

Ha. I'll defnitely agree with that. And SM gets bonus points for not shoving faux emotion down our throats, particularly with artsy, music-dubbed commercials ;).

markot said:
I dont understand the problem with the location and style of the game >.> Its set on a forge world, and as such, its pretty damn awesome looking imo ^_^ Variety doesnt work there cause.... well, its a forge world, its basically one big factory for making military stuff, there are no jungles and the like. That said, I do think we go through abit of variety in locals within that. I was pretty :eek: when I saw the huge bridge.
Then why put it on a Forge World only? haha.

The Antitype said:
I only care in terms of the fact that I paid $60 for it.

The melee clicks fine.

The problem is that while I can be killed with two swipes, I can hit a guy three times, only to be blasted by a meltagun and killed immediately.

Actually landing and hitting people is simple. Killing them depends on the lag, sun spots, magic 8 ball predictions, who the fuck knows what else.

It's inconsistent. Fun, but pretty trashy.

EDIT: ...annnnnnnnd now the game just froze. Awesome.

I'm on 360 and the entire process has been bulletproof for me.

For once, I'm really, REALLY enjoying a multiplayer competitive type of game.

In fact...360 Space Marine GAF!

We really need to all get together, decide on a Chapter/Warband, make our guys look like one another, party up and stomp some ass.

A communicative team does quite well in Space Marine.

The Antitype said:
Whatever, I'm over it.

Yeah...you really sound like it.

Must be the game and not your perception right?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
mickcenary said:
Ha. I'll defnitely agree with that. And SM gets bonus points for not shoving faux emotion down our throats, particularly with artsy, music-dubbed commercials ;).

LoL no shit. Also.. the lack of token black football playing gangstah is nice... i think i might like the grimdark future.

part me of will just never understand how someone can be playing a game where you get to pull the trigger on a bolter, hear that meaty fucking retort and rip Chaos boys to pieces (unless your Antitype) with a chainsword... and not swoon. This is a game i'm definitely going to play the shit out of online... especially when the co-op drops... and PRAY that they run expansions/sequels for this like they did with Dawn of War. I would joose myself if the game eventually boasted that much supported content.

edit: ^ I don't think Antitype is going to be happy till we can take cover, scream stuff about F*cking worms and Ice-T plays the intro track .... OR ... he has one fucking awesome round with an Assault Marine ;)

Eppy Thatcher said:
LoL no shit. Also.. the lack of token black football playing gangstah is nice... i think i might like the grimdark future.

part me of will just never understand how someone can be playing a game where you get to pull the trigger on a bolter, hear that meaty fucking retort and rip Chaos boys to pieces (unless your Antitype) with a chainsword... and not swoon. This is a game i'm definitely going to play the shit out of online... especially when the co-op drops... and PRAY that they run expansions/sequels for this like they did with Dawn of War. I would joose myself if the game eventually boasted that much supported content.

edit: ^ I don't think Antitype is going to be happy till we can take cover, scream stuff about F*cking worms and Ice-T plays the intro track .... OR ... he has one fucking awesome round with an Assault Marine ;)

Nah, I'm just sticking to Siege or whatever, where it doesn't even track K/D, just caps.

Xevren

bigdaddygamebot said:

We really need to all get together, decide on a Chapter/Warband, make our guys look like one another, party up and stomp some ass.

That would be sweet. I have no friends playing this so I'm always just winging it with randoms, sometimes it's not so bad but others it blows. I had a game where my entire team didn't try to capture a single point and just tried to snipe...for whatever reason.

Xevren said:
That would be sweet. I have no friends playing this so I'm always just winging it with randoms, sometimes it's not so bad but others it blows. I had a game where my entire team didn't try to capture a single point and just tried to snipe...for whatever reason.

40KGAF is the "collector" gamertag but shoot me a FR.

GT is the same as my username here.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Antitype said:
Nah, I'm just sticking to Siege or whatever, where it doesn't even track K/D, just caps.

Points are points!

Also: We gonna have a PS3 GAF group on tonight at all?
PSN: silkysm00th
Add and invite.. i'll be off work and home soon .. then killing heretics all night!

Xevren

bigdaddygamebot said:
40KGAF is the "collector" gamertag but shoot me a FR.

GT is the same as my username here.

Cool, sent some FR's. Will hopefully be able to put in some more time this weekend.

The visual payoff with this game is simply absurd. I just cleared the second jump pack section and it was so satisfying to play through, every ground pound, every swing of your melee weapon causes orcs explode like ripened tomatoes. It makes me sad whenever you ditch those things.

Eppy Thatcher said:

Believe me, I swoon, but the executions are a big part of the swooning for me, so the swoon levels are mitigated online. Plus, I'm unfortunately in the 'game kinda runs like poo/don't know if I'm being constantly fucked over online' camp.

Once the big-hitters come out, there'll be no reason for me to play this game. Right now, I'm feeling that one more run-through of the campaign on 'hard' will suffice; I'll return it and I'll have fond memories of a VERY fun and VERY polished game that I might just re-buy if I am so inclined to get the itch.

El'Kharn

bigdaddygamebot said:

I'm up for this, hit me up with a FR, gamertag Kharn01

Chapter 12 was epic and had a great ending. I'm up to chapter 15 now so just 2 more to go. Loving the game. It's very polished and a lot of fun. Some of the weapons are way too OP tho... the Lascannon is insanely OP. The Melta Gun is god-tier as well

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Really not caring for the boss battle in Chapter 12 :/ Honestly my first sour note on the game so far, but I think thats one shitty fight.

Heavy said:
Chapter 12 was epic and had a great ending. I'm up to chapter 15 now so just 2 more to go. Loving the game. It's very polished and a lot of fun. Some of the weapons are way too OP tho... the Lascannon is insanely OP. The Melta Gun is god-tier as well
Lascannon is crucial on hard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The sound design in this game is sooo gooooood. The weapons feel like salvaged chunks of scrap metal wildly spitting out slugs of dusty rounds that obliterate everything they touch. So meaty and so goddamn satisfying.

Sunflower said:
For about five seconds, since that's probably how long he would survive against what Ultramarines face. He simply does not possess the chops to run with the Imperium's elite.

Malo

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:

Yeah...you really sound like it.

Must be the game and not your perception right?
Lets do it. I already sent a friend request to GAF40k, well send you one shortly.

Zerokku said:
Really not caring for the boss battle in Chapter 12 :/ Honestly my first sour note on the game so far, but I think thats one shitty fight.
Really? He was a piece of cake if you have the right guns... just spam your Melta Gun and Vengeance Launcher if you got one, but definitely the Melta Gun. If you don't have one or the other, I could see him being a problem. :-/

Also, wait till you get to this one part in Chapter 14...that was my "sour note", died 5+ times. It's a small room with enemies on an overpass in front of you and all you can do is hug the wall adjacent to the overpass and try to pick them off. They do a lot of damage

CrookedRain said:
Lascannon is crucial on hard.
I can imagine. It's must for me in normal difficulty lol... well not a must but it's great, especially versus
chaos marines

EatChildren said:
The sound design in this game is sooo gooooood. The weapons feel like salvaged chunks of scrap metal wildly spitting out slugs of dusty rounds that obliterate everything they touch. So meaty and so goddamn satisfying.
Dude I couldn't agree more

Salazar

I'll (redundantly) admit to being a complete fanatic for the SP part of this game, but I genuinely have not found the combat repetitious.

Blood Angels omnibus (James Swallow) is fucking awesome.

derFeef

Salazar said:
I'll (redundantly) admit to being a complete fanatic for the SP part of this game, but I genuinely have not found the combat repetitious.

Blood Angels omnibus (James Swallow) is fucking awesome.
Nope, the combat stays fresh all the way through. It's just that the environments are repetitive sometimes.

I tell you what, Deus Ex...while good...isn't really setting my world alight like the demo of Space Marine did. I don't know, perhaps it's dropping at exactly the right time. Been pouring over the youtube clips simply of multiplayer - no campaign spoilers for me - and I love the slower pace of things. Definitely my cup of tea.

Hope you guys are still around in a week or two!

Salazar

I think a switch in environments is painfully necessary if we get more of this.

Blood Angels omnibus opens with a skirmish with Chaos Marines who are despoiling a grave planet: that is, an entire moon of a gas giant devoted to the burial of fallen astartes. It's fucking rad. I don't want jungles or anything - I dunno what this new engine's strengths and weaknesses are - but cool shit like that.

And if possible, make some of my squad mortal, and reward me if I can battle to their body and recover the geneseed. Fanservice, motherfuckers.

Narag

Salazar said:
And if possible, make some of my squad mortal, and reward me if I can battle to their body and recover the geneseed. Fanservice, motherfuckers.

That would make a fabulous secondary objective to a level.

Herla

Finished on Hard!
What a great fucking game. Pure, simple, epic (I hate the word, but it IS epic) fun.
Now give me the Space Wolf sequel please.

Also:

rFD9X.png

This sucks.

Salazar

Herla said:
Now give me the Space Wolf sequel please.

Yes. And let me drink and brawl.

That should be the saving mechanism. Unconsciousness, either by intoxication or blunt impact.

And have some of my squad go berserker/wulfen, so I have to regulate.

Jinaar

The worst part of this game is that the Multiplayer is freaking engaging and I cannot find time to play the Single Player at all. Precious unlocks to have in MP.....

Finally gave the Assault Class a real go last night. Ended up being top of each map in points and kills there after. Having the perk that explodes your Jet Pack killing those close.... man.... I usually would Jet in high, throw 2 grenades into a group of 1-4 enemies, land and start slicing, then die and explode and when I respawn, you usually end up with +150 per revenge kill. Points all over my face. I got my highest kill streak with the Assault class too, up to 9x, which again is hell of alot of points. I was REALLY digging the Tactical Marine with Kraken Bolts and Quick Respawn, but I may have to put that guy to the side and level up all my melee weapons on the Assault.

Each day the multiplayer gets better and better for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Salazar said:
Points for the Points God.

I remain nervous about sales.

Its going to bomb.

If there's one thing I didn't like about the single player, it's that the Servo Skull logs didn't really flesh out the universe. I would have liked some text logs to read on top of the audio logs.

EatChildren said:
Its going to bomb.
:(

Jinaar

EatChildren said:
Its going to bomb.

Hard to argue against this. Feels like people are waiting for the sequels to come this holiday season to invest their capital into. How do you fight against IPs that have ingrained themselves into the wallets of most gamers over this whole generation and stage your launch during the soon to be Christmas avalanche of selection?

But I have hope that a significant portion of the WH40K fan base will pick this up and use word of mouth to up sales.

I'm hoping for 500K sales for September in North America. Most likely it will be in the range of 250K.

EatChildren

Jinaar said:
I'm hoping for 500K sales for September in North America. Most likely it will be in the range of 250K.

Deus Ex did sub 300K, according to the NPD, and was No.1. 500K for Space Marine is....well....

Salazar

I want a sequel and I want all of the PR and community management people purged.

The Emperor knows their sins.

"So, this post-release co-op mode that comes out in a couple of weeks. Can I play it ?"

"We have not released that information".

Fuck yooooooouuuuuu.

I hope you read GAF, you motherfuckers, and not just the shitty official forum you dick around in.

Top Bottom