• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Lyonaz

Finished the game yesterday and the final stretch was Awesomesauce!
Seriously, the amount of different coloured lasers flying and Chaos warping around you while walking with an Autocannon is one of the best experiences this year. This is in Chapter 16 I think.
Seeing the other Chapter Marines fight beside you on the bridge, Holy Shit!

Also multi-player is great, sure it takes awhile to connect, but damn when there is no lag it plays fantastic.
The game totally nails the feel of fighting in a future war. The colours of the different lasers, the sound design are all godly.
Also Devastator class packing a Lascannon with Signum Link perk makes me one Badass Marine. I was getting multiple headshot kills, then seeing Assault Marines dropping in trying to melee me only to get a chest kick followed by a Lascannon to the face makes this game a keeper and top 5 for me this year.

That said, come on Relic atleast let me install part of the customizer on my PS3 so it doesn't take like 40 secs to load when I need to quickly customize my loadouts and stuff between matches, we only get 60 secs between maps!

Played 3 games, went positive all three.

Just not having as much fun with it. And if anything, I get more frustrated with teammates who just stand around and watch me die (and then get killed by the same, weakened dude), than I do teammates who are too busy killing people to cap the points.

Well, that was a fun diversion while it lasted.

Got fed up the 12th time I was trying to carry a team, an assault marine drops in on me and starts clobbering away, and none of the 4 tactical marines around me bothers to turn and fire a shot to help.

Awesome.

Back to siege, where at least the retards can be used as meat-shields to cap a point.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I give up on the MP, it's laggy as hell and not worth it.

Anyone know when the coop mode is supposed to come? If it's not this week I'll sell it on amazon.

Alienshogun said:

Anyone know when the coop mode is supposed to come? If it's not this week I'll sell it on amazon.

What level are you? Sad to say, it really opens up at level...10 or so, I think.

I hated it too for a long time, then it clicked. The biggest problem is map variety.

Lyphen said:
More than DoW2 ever had at any expansion's launch, and the series as a whole has gone on to sell well over 6 million copies. So, with three platforms? I think Space Marine may do alright.
The 6 million includes DoW1 though, and all its expansions as well.

rukland

So I picked this up yesterday and just finished about 30 mins ago. I have to say it was an amazing ride. My only gripe is that there were no nids in the game but I guess I can hope for the squeal and I have to agree with some of the others use the Wolves next time.

FieryBalrog said:
The 6 million includes DoW1 though, and all its expansions as well.

Ok, so assuming that expansion packs don't achieve 100% attach rate for the original game, you could say DoW hit 2 mill, DoW2 hit 2mill, and then the expansion packs sold less with each release.

Space Marine could still do well. It just won't do well in NA.

rukland said:
So I picked this up yesterday and just finished about 30 mins ago. I have to say it was an amazing ride. My only gripe is that there were no nids in the game but I guess I can hope for the squeal and I have to agree with some of the others use the Wolves next time.

Why does everybody love the Tyranids so much? I never really liked them a whole lot.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The Antitype said:
What level are you? Sad to say, it really opens up at level...10 or so, I think.

I hated it too for a long time, then it clicked. The biggest problem is map variety.

I'm talking about the lag.

derFeef

Alienshogun said:

October, as stated in the OP.

jediyoshi

Ran into the greatest paint job

waXch.jpg

Alienshogun said:

xD

rukland

The Antitype said:
Why does everybody love the Tyranids so much? I never really liked them a whole lot.

I dunno for me at least they are my favorite table top army just due to all the different ways they can be played. Plus I love fielding over 120+ models to my opponents 50 or so.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
rukland said:
I dunno for me at least they are my favorite table top army just due to all the different ways they can be played. Plus I love fielding over 120+ models to my opponents 50 or so.
120 models? I can't even paint my 40 Space Hulk figures.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Antitype said:
Ok, so assuming that expansion packs don't achieve 100% attach rate for the original game, you could say DoW hit 2 mill, DoW2 hit 2mill, and then the expansion packs sold less with each release.

Space Marine could still do well. It just won't do well in NA.

I love that i've come back the next day and you see to be warming a little mre to it. Let us be xeno murdering friends together! What made it click for you at 10? And are you still rocking tactical?

Gotta agree with the Nids not being my favorite either.. as far as looks, unit type and all that type of stuff they always seemed the most generic to me out of all the races in the game.

My only true complaint with the game so far remains that getting into a match for me (especially in the middle of the day like just a few hours ago before i went to work) on the ps3 is gaaaaaarbage. Must need to be patched... sooon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
derFeef said:
Oky, was nice to have you.

Don't get it skewed, the game was awesome, and I WOULD have enjoyed the MP if every other game wasn't a lag fest.

If the coop mode had been available in a week or two I wouldn't have bothered, but it's not.

Alienshogun said:
Don't get it skewed, the game was awesome, and I WOULD have enjoyed the MP if every other game wasn't a lag fest.
Server browsers would truly be a godsend for this game.

It'd help to develop a community and allow for more lag free games.

derFeef

Alienshogun said:

If the coop mode had been available in a week or two I wouldn't have bothered, but it's not.
NP, you are known as a MP focused guy so I am not angry or anything, but calling this game shit and awesome at the same thime is weird.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
NullPointer said:
Server browsers would truly be a godsend for this game.

It'd help to develop a community and allow for more lag free games.

Well I'm on console, so that's not happening for me anyhow. The problem is that I'm probably being matched with people around the world, and with a game like this it's understandable, especially with the really high popularity of Warhammer outside the U.S.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
derFeef said:
NP, you are known as a MP focused guy so I am not angry or anything, but calling this game shit and awesome at the same thime is weird.

"shit" wasn't meant as a slant against the game, just a slang term for "this." Sorry if I gave that impression.

I'm not so much of an MP focused guy really. I like the whole package, and I love 40k. I used to buy codex just for the lore in them. I tried to make an eldar army when I was younger, but it was far too expensive.

Gvaz

Banned
I don't give a flying fuck about MP in anything other than MMOs.

I don't really have any interest in playing the MP other than customization of my SM which should have been in the SP.

Eppy Thatcher said:
I love that i've come back the next day and you see to be warming a little mre to it. Let us be xeno murdering friends together! What made it click for you at 10? And are you still rocking tactical?

Gotta agree with the Nids not being my favorite either.. as far as looks, unit type and all that type of stuff they always seemed the most generic to me out of all the races in the game.

My only true complaint with the game so far remains that getting into a match for me (especially in the middle of the day like just a few hours ago before i went to work) on the ps3 is gaaaaaarbage. Must need to be patched... sooon.

The double-weapon perk made things click for the Tactical marine, cause I feel like I can roll away, switch to meltagun, and unload assault class.

Plasma pistol opened up assault, cause I can shoot down their shields from their air, land a few strikes and kill them.

I have yet to find a loadout that makes me like the heavy. I DO like how the sniper class in this game is slow and bulky. It's different, but makes sense from a balance perspective.

Gvaz said:
I don't give a flying fuck about MP in anything other than MMOs.

I don't really have any interest in playing the MP other than customization of my SM which should have been in the SP.

I haven't finished the game yet. Is there any storyline reason why these particular space marines HAD to be Ultramarines? How would letting players choose a skin hurt? I love me my Space Wolves.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Antitype said:
I haven't finished the game yet. Is there any storyline reason why these particular space marines HAD to be Ultramarines? How would letting players choose a skin hurt? I love me my Space Wolves.
Well, it'd kind of clash with...everything they do, and the voices and how the characters act if they were Space Wolves. Or Dark Angels or any other noticeably unsound and 'different' chapter. I would, however, like the next game to take on a different chapter with a contrasting personality, like the Space Wolves.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Antitype said:
The double-weapon perk made things click for the Tactical marine, cause I feel like I can roll away, switch to meltagun, and unload assault class.

Plasma pistol opened up assault, cause I can shoot down their shields from their air, land a few strikes and kill them.

I have yet to find a loadout that makes me like the heavy. I DO like how the sniper class in this game is slow and bulky. It's different, but makes sense from a balance perspective.

I also dig how every "high end" weapon is carried by a walking tank of a SM. It's pretty wicked to have your sniper rifle be a gun we could strap to an abrahms and not think twice about it.
I continue to hammer away at assault. Unlocked the hammer, plasma pistol and a bunch of tac marine stuff all last night and then managed to get to 50 hammer kills in 4 matches to unlock the 1 hit kill perk. It's crazy how they balanced the melee weapons themselves.. .the hammer feels meaty, lends weight to your air drop and swings wide... but if you are mashing the button you get stuck in a craaaazy long combo animation and get killed almost every time. I'm perfecting it tho .. dialing in where to attack from the sky to take it from a ground pound to a hard landing + swinging the hammer instead takes some work .. but is completely essential to making it work above the level of all the other Assault Marines on the map ...

(talking of the sequel) I know that this won't happen.. cause it's Spesh Mereeens and they are fuckin rock solid .. but i would kill a real life human for a single player ork campaign where you started out as a boy and got bigger as the levels went on to end as a Warlord with a Waaahhhg behind you...

Eppy Thatcher said:
I also dig how every "high end" weapon is carried by a walking tank of a SM. It's pretty wicked to have your sniper rifle be a gun we could strap to an abrahms and not think twice about it.
I continue to hammer away at assault. Unlocked the hammer, plasma pistol and a bunch of tac marine stuff all last night and then managed to get to 50 hammer kills in 4 matches to unlock the 1 hit kill perk. It's crazy how they balanced the melee weapons themselves.. .the hammer feels meaty, lends weight to your air drop and swings wide... but if you are mashing the button you get stuck in a craaaazy long combo animation and get killed almost every time. I'm perfecting it tho .. dialing in where to attack from the sky to take it from a ground pound to a hard landing + swinging the hammer instead takes some work .. but is completely essential to making it work above the level of all the other Assault Marines on the map ...

Yeah, the only reason that 1-hit kill perk isn't broken is because you can interrupt the attack with the Y button and then you're kind of SOL.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Antitype said:
Yeah, the only reason that 1-hit kill perk isn't broken is because you can interrupt the attack with the Y button and then you're kind of SOL.

Getting good at seeing a Devestator start that stomp animation, doing a half launch jump and coming down behind them already starting to swing at their back is extremely satisfying. I can get the drop on almost anyone probably 90 percent of the time ... so now that i don't have to carve through a mountain of armor and iron halo shielding to kill them when i do ... isniiice.

I play with my 2 warhammer buddies pretty much constantly. Seems like the game kept us on the same team almost the entire night as well (save the first game.. probably because of room on the teams or whatever)... but we wanna try 3 Dev/Havoc marines all mobbing together tonight. I just unlocked the plasma cannon .. and have been itching to try it.

rukland

Lyphen said:
120 models? I can't even paint my 40 Space Hulk figures.

That is only what I field in an 1850 point game. I own some where close to 200 models it's taken me way too long to paint it all.

jaundicejuice said:
The visual payoff with this game is simply absurd. I just cleared the second jump pack section and it was so satisfying to play through, every ground pound, every swing of your melee weapon causes orcs explode like ripened tomatoes. It makes me sad whenever you ditch those things.

"out of fuel"

THEN REFUEL IT YOU SON OF A

As for my opinion: I kinda got out of this what I was expecting, which is to say, and I do not mean this as an offense, a kinda generic "space marine" experience. The melee combat and wave system are a good way of keeping the player engaged though. It's a far better game than just any other random generic "knock off" of the 'space marine trend'.
I had hoped for bigger ambitions though. Dawn of War intro sequence kind of ambitions. I was hoping to hear some "FOR THE EMPEROR!" blasting through my speakers, but that never quite came in Space Marine. And the robots of course. What is there is either a tease or too short.
chapter 16, that is

The multiplayer seems fine to me btw. I had no problem becoming MVP of one match and am well on my way, with only three matches so far, to rank 4 where the unlocker awaits. I have not noticed any form of lag, allthough the framerate does go from 60 fps to the 40-50 range in MP. Yet it never dips below 60 in SP. Or at least only incidental.

The story was surprisingly nice. Small in scope, but consistent and effective. The ending is
clear sequelbait though. But not a cliffhanger, as someone else claimed.

Narag

I wish this had scenarios or something. Relive famous battles and whatnot. I just want an excuse to run around as the Blood Raven Force Commander in some reimagined DoW II mission.

Narag

Played some MP on PC tonight. Great fun. The customizer is all sorts of awesome and it looks like the mp background is your customized SM/CSM sets. That's a nice touch.

Ok and I am done. Won't be touching this again until the lag/matchmaking is fixed. To be quiet honest I am rather shocked that I managed to quit playing this game without even touching the campaign.

Had a lot of fun in some multiplayer just now. Didn't run into to much lag but I did have to alt tab out because the game stuck at the "starting" screen. We were all able to talk and type but the game never started.

Hopefully some patches will resolve the issue. They also really need to add a way to just turn off voice chat all together. With everyone's mics being open it gets really annoying. I just end up muting most people right from the start.

Boogdud

SalsaShark said:
as expected MP is unplayable for me

:(

it looks really fun too

Don't worry, it's not just you. I have 30 down and it's unplayable at least half of the time. The mp netcode is very bad. The matchmaking is worse, think: put a bunch of names in a hat and pull out 16. Then take those 16 from every corner of the globe (no matter the connection speed or region) and randomly pick one to be the host. Voila! :/

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Surprisingly I have only had one or two laggy games so far on the PC, which actually sort of amazes me. On the other hand, this stupid game refuses to recognize my mic on my headset. It works perfectly fine on the voice page in the Steam options, but in game it is like I don't even have it plugged in.

Salsa

4e8f45f3cc77e26fe4e81231e1a13b782ad72f72.PNG

this does nothing fyi

the compatibility flag doesnt seem to work

anyone found a way to properly force antialiasing? the game has a good-enough edge filer for stuff close by, but it gets rather jaggie with stuff further away. Edges moving can be distractive.

markatisu

Goddamn that fight with Boss Grimskull was brutal, the game really amps up around Chapter 11. Was hard to put it down but I got to go to work early tomorrow.

Lyphen said:
Well, it'd kind of clash with...everything they do, and the voices and how the characters act if they were Space Wolves. Or Dark Angels or any other noticeably unsound and 'different' chapter. I would, however, like the next game to take on a different chapter with a contrasting personality, like the Space Wolves.

I agree, I would not mind if we had an anthology game or something where each chapter was with a different group as part of a larger story. I would not mind the Space Wolves, Salamaders, and Blood Angels for example. That would be a diverse enough group to get some kick ass stories.

Top Bottom