• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Thomper

Whoompthereitis said:
Yeah, the thing is I've never even tried COH. I'm a console guy. A few weeks ago I bought my first gaming rig since 2001. My new PC is pretty powerful for the moment, and I'm having a great time with it. So far I've played through Mass Effect 1 and 2, and done a fair bit of Dragon Age. I'm kinda burning out on Bioware for the time being- I need to try something new. STALKER looks interesting, but I'm looking to try something that's not a shooter after having played both Mass Effect games back to back.

As I said before, I've never liked RTS games. From what I've heard of Relic's approach to them though, I figure if there's any chance I'll get into the genre it'll be with one of their 'scaled down' games. I know that COH is supposedly incredible, but I'm leaning towards DOW mostly because the 40K thing is at least new to me. WWII shit I'm kinda burned out on, as a lot of people are.

Is COH more/less accessible than DOW? Just curious.

And hey, thanks everyone for the info. I'm pretty determined to give this game a shot now. I think I'll probably really get into the single player.
There's a demo for Dawn of War 2 here: http://www.bigdownload.com/games/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-ii/pc/dawn-of-war-2-single-player-demo/

And yes, Relic's RTS are quite different from most RTS. I personally found DOW to be more accessible than COH, but that might be a personal thing. Still, though: you can find Company of Heroes very cheaply these days, and the original Dawn of War II is also coming down in price quite a bit. Give the demo a shot, and if you're somewhat interested, the price of entry is very low.

Edit: If you're 'new' to PC-gaming, you also might consider picking up that THQ Complete Pack. Worth it for the Company of Heroes/Dawn of War-games alone, and Red Faction, STALKER and Titan Quest + expansion are also pretty good games. Excellent deal for $50.

Gowans

Planning on upgrading my pc next week & going to replay.

Been playing a lot of the horde mode update over the last few days, it's intense.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Whoompthereitis said:
As I said before, I've never liked RTS games. From what I've heard of Relic's approach to them though, I figure if there's any chance I'll get into the genre it'll be with one of their 'scaled down' games. I know that COH is supposedly incredible, but I'm leaning towards DOW mostly because the 40K thing is at least new to me. WWII shit I'm kinda burned out on, as a lot of people are.

Is COH more/less accessible than DOW? Just curious.

And hey, thanks everyone for the info. I'm pretty determined to give this game a shot now. I think I'll probably really get into the single player.
I think you will like DoWII single player, it has a lot of RPG elements to it, and it jettisons the base building completely. The last stand is a very nice addition as well, allowing for non-competitive multiplayer, with levelling and pretty quick games. You are only controlling a single unit, so it is easy to get into. I would say that DoWII is more accessible than CoH, because your units are very tightly defined so it is akin to controlling the 4 characters in Dragon Age for example.

Llyranor

CoH has very traditional RTS elements.

DoW2's campaign/Last Stand are much more RPG-centric (I find its RPG elements to be stronger than some RPGs in terms of character customization). In the campaign, you only control 4 units at a time (2 if co-op), and only 1 in Last Stand. There's a lot more emphasis on how you build up your characters, how you equip them, and so on. Very action-RPGesque gameplay. It does away with many of the traditional RTS elements (that you still see in the PvP). I'm not usually a fan of RTS (much prefer wargames for strategy/tactics) and disliked the PvP beta, but I love this game.

I would say that DoWII is more accessible than CoH, because your units are very tightly defined so it is akin to controlling the 4 characters in Dragon Age for example.

That sounds great. No pausing to issue commands in this game I assume?

Llyranor

No. But again, you're only controlling up to 4 units, so it shouldn't be an issue. If you find a buddy to co-op this with, 2 each. It's great fun in co-op.

yeah, I'm okay with the 'no pause' thing.

I think this game will be very, very unlike anything I've ever played before, which is great.

Anyone here play with the 360 controller? My brother is interested but wants to play with his controller. I told him to wait to find out of it's a PITA.

Xapati

gregor7777 said:
Anyone here play with the 360 controller? My brother is interested but wants to play with his controller. I told him to wait to find out of it's a PITA.

I don't think you can play this game with a controller and only a madman would choose a controller over m&k for an RTS.

poppabk

gregor7777 said:
Can you even play with a controller? I would imagine that it would be next to impossible, even with just 2 units in co-op, but then again a regular FPS is almost impossible for me on a controller so I may be wrong.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
You can indeed issue commands in the campaign, while the game is paused. I just tested this myself.

Vorador

Banned
gregor7777 said:

It's not even possible to use it i think.

poppabk

K.Jack said:
You can indeed issue commands in the campaign, while the game is paused. I just tested this myself.
Really. That is pretty funny, I wonder if that is an intentional feature or a bug.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Pre-purchased.

4360813236_a3b274a8bf_o.png

I'm so ready for this.

Yeah, the reason I was asking was because he saw it on a list of 360 controller enabled games, but it didn't say to what extent it was useable. I'll have to check it out.

Made a quick to the mall and bought the game just now. $ 30 CAN...not bad.

Anything a newbie needs to know before starting up?

And again, thanks for all the advice guys. I've heard people complain about 'elitist PC GAF' before but you were all really nice....what's goin' on here? :D

Ceebs

Whoompthereitis said:

And again, thanks for all the advice guys. I've heard people complain about 'elitist PC GAF' before but you were all really nice....what's goin' on here? :D

The game is 20X more fun if you scream out "For the Emperor" every time you issue an attack order.

K.Jack

Whoompthereitis said:
Primarch difficulty is incredibly brutal, but satisfying.
Whoompthereitis said:
I've heard people complain about 'elitist PC GAF' before but you were all really nice....what's goin' on here? :D
It's purely insecurity. Some people actually think we're serious when someone makes a 'Master Race' joke. PC GAF is probably the best, most helpful minority group on the forum.
Ceebs said:
The game is 20X more fun if you scream out "For the Emperor" every time you issue an attack order.
I was going to say that. :lol

Victrix

*beard*
Whoompthereitis said:

1) Play the campaign, have fun

2) Play Last Stand, have more fun

3) Play online, get raped by hordes of Space Marines vastly more skilled than you, cry bitter tears

3a) Play online with friends, and realize that the matchmaking takes about 10-20 games to get a feel for your skill level, but even then most people online will have months of practice on you, so be ready for a hiding.

3b) Develop a good strategy against Space Marines (and soon, Chaos Space Marines) and use it well to infuriate a huge portion of the online userbase. This is good.

4) Live for the Emperor, Die for the Emperor, Return as an asskicking armored coffin and Kill for the Emperor

sm1.jpg

Ceebs

Whoompthereitis said:

For real though, when playing the campaign do not just restart missions or straight quit out of them. Doing so counts against you in a sort of metagame going on in the background that could make the game more challenging later on.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Victrix said:

3) Play online, get raped by hordes of Space Marines vastly more skilled than you, cry bitter tears

3a) Play online with friends, and realize that the matchmaking takes about 10-20 games to get a feel for your skill level, but even then most people online will have months of practice on you, so be ready for a hiding.

3b) Develop a good strategy against Space Marines (and soon, Chaos Space Marines) and use it well to infuriate a huge portion of the online userbase. This is good.

4) Live for the Emperor, Die for the Emperor, Return as an asskicking armored coffin and Kill for the Emperor

sm1.jpg

I love it when we lay the smackdown on a team of 3 space marines and they cry about losing. Finding a mess of tac marines balled up, not behind cover of course because there are 2 apothecaries, and warp throwing them into 2 squads worth of boosted plasma nades to be followed up by a black hole is so damn awesome.

remz

Fark, I'm so pumped for the expansion. gonna be bringing more dakka all over the shop with ma weirdboyz and shit.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Tier 3 unit info up:

csm_predator.jpg

Chaos Predator

Chaos Space Marines field vehicles that are a legacy of their past, now adorned in dark icons and daemonic imagery. The Predator is not just impressive to look at, it is a heavy battle tank that can absorb hits and deliver some serious firepower. Players can dedicate their Predator to one of three gods, each bestowing their own unique benefits on the vehicle, customizing it to your play style or the state of the game.

Upgrades:
Mark of Tzeentch – Dedicating your Predator to Tzeentch upgrades the vehicle’s weapon to twin-linked lascannons, making it very effective at destroying other vehicles.

Mark of Khorne – The Blood God’s mark increases the Predator’s damage output and movement speed.

Mark of Nurgle – The Plague God grants vastly increased Health at the cost of reduced Movement speed.

csm_great_unclean_one.jpg

Great Unclean One

As a mass of flesh, the Great Unclean One can absorb a metric ton of damage and laugh it off. This great durability comes at a cost though, he’s expensive to field and not very quick to get around the battlefield.

The Great Unclean One’s massive sword is just one of his many vile weapons that he can bring to bear. Whether it is a swarm of flies or putrid vomit, any enemy will have their hands full when this unit hits the field.

Abilities:
Vomit – Spew forth the foul contents of the Great Unclean One’s stomach, damaging and debilitating all enemies caught in the foul stream.

Foul Snare – His innards are not there for just looks, they actually serve a valuable purpose. You can use this ability to project the writhing intestines of the Great Unclean One, snaring any enemies near the target and pull them to their doom.

Consume – Low on Energy? Not a problem. Consume the life force of an allied unit to regain Energy. This is yet another reason to keep some expendable Heretics around.

Swarm of Flies – The Great Unclean One stomps the ground, projecting a caustic cloud of flies that damages all nearby enemy units.

Victrix said:

Have had the game for a while but just started getting into the multi. I'm at Step 3 and yes, the tears have been especially bitter.

Azih

So, like the original DOW expansions, if I just buy Chaos Rising will I just be able to use Chaos in the multiplayer?

FunBoy

Mark of Slaanesh - The prince of chaos mark enables an AOE spell effect that makes all nearby enemy units jizz in there pants....

Daigoro

starting now. looks like there is going to be some multiplayer footage. :)

holy crap that Chaos Lord on the sign in screen is AWESOME.

I like that this time you can actually play unique chaos legions if you wanted instead of it being a generic chaos faction like the original game.

Daigoro

theyre just goofing around in the army painter now. its not due to start for 10 min actually.

Chaos Warriors look great.

Plague champion. hoooly shit. :eek:

Daigoro

all of this multiplayer stuff is way over my head.

chaos dreadnought with auto-cannon and power claw is enough to sell me on this game.

DOW fans get in here!

Wraithguard looks so cool. they owned that dread. :eek:

Daigoro

omg the Great Unclean one is so awesome. what a great looking boss dude. that death animation is really cool.

game looks like a lot of fun.

i need to go play some TLS now.

K.Jack

I missed it? I forgot about the stream FUUUUUUUUU

Stances are back. They've been pointed out in some screenshots and were seen in one of the Chaos Rising videos.

This is unless they've since removed them....

Anksta

I caught the end of the stream. I'm starting to get pumped about this game again.

Hopefully the multiplayer community will get invigorated again!

Dreavus

It looks like the stream was recorded and has finally been uploaded.

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_xfss_dow/

Just finished watching -- there is some really awesome stuff in here. First part is a 1v1 replay of Eldar versus Chaos with commentary, and the second part is them messing around in dev-mode showing off a bunch of chaos units.

I noted a bunch of changes to Eldar in particular:

- The Farseer's webway gates now infiltrate, and have the ability to temporarily hide nearby squads as well. No word on whether the Warlock or Warp Spider Exarch get anything similar.

- Wraithguards look like they can do tons of damage, but changes to the way artillery works means they have a tough time hitting squads on the move, and they are utterly useless in melee. Artillery now targets the ground instead of squads as a whole, so it's now possible for instant strike artillery such as D-cannons to miss squads on the move. Might make plasma a bit more tricky to use as well.

- Eldar weapon platforms can now garrison inside buildings (finally!).

- Relic is also doing a bit of a global revamp of walkers. They didn't give any numbers but it's been said that they will cost a bit more resources but are a lot tougher as a whole. Personally I think this is an awesome change. Walkers as they are currently sometimes feel more fragile than most infantry. =S

There's a whole metric ton of info about Chaos as well, but I need to go to sleep! All this did was get me excited for the game. :lol

Top Bottom