• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

enewtabie said:
Been playing DOW 2 recently and it's a great game. Any clues on how to Beat the Angel Forge Mission. I've played it several times and I can't get the gate closed.

On the difficulty below Primarch (forget its name..) what I did was, well, after trying to keep blasting away wave after wave I just said FUCK IT! and armed my Commander with a Rosarius AND an Iron Halo..

I just turned them both on and sent the commander to the controls, used the Dreadnought (Ranged), Devastators and the Tactical Terminators to lay down cover fire.

The commander never went down, funnily enough..

Enosh

WuselDusel said:
How is the expansion handled? I have lost my savegame (everyone maxed out, awesome gear, I hate me!) - are we able to "start" Level 20 characters?
no, you get level 17 characters if you start a new game without a save game from vannila DoW2

Des0lar

will learn eventually
delirium said:
Wow, matchmaking is horrible. Me and my friends at level 1 and 3 were pair against low 30s and high 20s.

It's a pity, but better play against high level players than no games at all...

I had the same experiences as you, but now I'm rank 56! The first 30 ranks are tough as hell though....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
delirium said:
Wow, matchmaking is horrible. Me and my friends at level 1 and 3 were pair against low 30s and high 20s.

The game has been out for a year, how many low levels do you think there really are? More importantly how many low levels do you think there are looking for a match at the exact same moment you and your friends were?

Won

delirium said:

Levels don't represent the skill level in this game. That's the job of your true skill rank, which I think starts pretty high, but should drop you pretty fast.

That said, matchmaking is indeed terrible.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Angel Forge on Primarch is ridiculous.

toasty_T said:
I'm getting some odd performance with this game.

Using the benchmark tool in the settings menu I get the same result if I run the game at medium, high or ultra with no AA (around 30 with a minimum of 15 and a maximum of 75). Is there something up with this time demo or are my results just strange?
CPU bottleneck?

LowParry

2v2 for this game is where it's at. I used to play a lot of 3v3 but I'd say 50% of your games would turn out laggy due someone's graphics too high or just have a really bad connection. I'm still getting used to 2v2 but it's much more intense. You screw up, you lose the match to your partner. The Last Stand is still hella fun too.

Anksta

Been getting back into this game again. I'd forgotten just how much fun it is. I find myself with a big grin on my face when playing.... even if I'm not doing so well. The explosions, watching unit fly all over the place and just the general over-the-topness of the game is brilliant.

I only play PVP multiplayer and its tons of fun.

This game is a lot of fun, having a blast through single player, if anyone wants to play some coop or some versus just add me. GT=RedWoodRevoiver

Zzoram

I've been playing campaign and it's ok. It really is Tactics, not RTS at all. The units are clunky to control. For example, when putting your cursor at cover, it's very picky about the exact pixel you're pointing at and keeps changing where your units will take cover.

It's still pretty fun because it has some RPG-elements, but I'm glad I didn't pay more than $7 for it. I'm not a big fan of the combat.

Zzoram

I am really annoyed by the game not letting you select units that aren't your own. I can't click on a friend or enemy and see his stats. Also, when I am revived in Last Stand, why is there no unmissible notification? The screen should center on my revived body or something, because if I'm not watching my character icon I don't even know if I've been revived yet.

That said, Last Stand is pretty fun. It's basically Hero Defense in Warcraft 3 with persistent heroes. However that comes at the cost of much, much fewer hero classes, items, and enemy types.

coopolon

Hmm, I was reading up on the expansion getting excited for its release, when I came across a thread in the steam forums about limited installations due to being GFWL (so the game itself doesn't have any limits, but to play multiplayer there are a limit on how many machines you can do it on.)

This is also apparently true for the original DoW, and all GFWL games. If this is the case, I'm not going to be buying any more GFWL games, including this expansion unfortunately.

Steam thread:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162674

Or at least I won't be buying any games that require GFWL to play. Like Fallout 3, I don't care about achievements, so I don't care about logging into GFWL.

Zzoram

coopolon said:
Hmm, I was reading up on the expansion getting excited for its release, when I came across a thread in the steam forums about limited installations due to being GFWL (so the game itself doesn't have any limits, but to play multiplayer there are a limit on how many machines you can do it on.)

This is also apparently true for the original DoW, and all GFWL games. If this is the case, I'm not going to be buying any more GFWL games, including this expansion unfortunately.

Steam thread:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162674

Or at least I won't be buying any games that require GFWL to play. Like Fallout 3, I don't care about achievements, so I don't care about logging into GFWL.

Supposedly GFWL update 3 was rumored to have removed those limits by tying the serial key to gamertag accounts permanently instead of activating unique hardware/os combos, from a vague statement from Microsoft. If they didn't do that, that does suck. Still, the only guy to ever report an activation limit error installed the game at least 10 times, so at least it's a reasonable high limit.

Zzoram

So I found some other terrible things in the DoW2 online interface. You don't get to see ping until AFTER you commit to starting a game, at which point seeing the ping is meaningless because you'll know its laggy as soon as it starts.

Also, there is no way to kick griefers out of your group once you get back to the lobby (last stand), you have to leave and create a new party with your friend.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Any idea why my GFWL client refuses to run? I've got the .Net 3.0 SP1 Patch with XP Hotfix and still nothing, it refuses to run, just closes itself without any specific error message.

The in-game GFWL works fine but I need the main client to get the DLC.

The GFWL Official Technical Assistance forum is not responding to my question. I've even tried adding an entry to my registry as per a specific fix and that hasn't worked either.

Dani said:
Any idea why my GFWL client refuses to run? I've got the .Net 3.0 SP1 Patch with XP Hotfix and still nothing, it refuses to run, just closes itself without any specific error message.

The in-game GFWL works fine but I need the main client to get the DLC.

The GFWL Official Technical Assistance forum is not responding to my question. I've even tried adding an entry to my registry as per a specific fix and that hasn't worked either.

Did you try deleting and reinstalling?

I've also fallen prey to the horrible matchmaking, my first two games were against guys with 30+ true skill. Are there really such few people playing this game? In CoH you could generally find people of all skill levels when using matchmaking.

This game is a lot of fun but I'm really bad and multiplayer for whatever reason, really not used to playing these types of games. Having a lot of fun with singleplayer and the co-op horde thing.

Dynoro

sweetvar26 said:
Holy shit! Is this the first game that has 2000 Gamerscore? Well thats including the DLC of course.
I believe the official limit is still 1750. Maybe this gets an exception as its a standalone pack iirc

Llyranor

They're definitely doable, but also very easy to lose if you're not careful (we've lost our share of them!). Then again, I was playing it in co-op, so maybe having to manage twice the number of units may be too overwhelming.

I just beat this game last night. The last mission was good fun. Absolutely love how chaotic the battles are. Thule with goddamn autocannons is the best thing ever.

Is there no way to do a New Game +? I don't really see the option.

Can't wait for Chaos Rising.

Zzoram

The story in this game is so badly written. Playing games like this reminds me how Blizzard RTS games are still orders of magnitude above the competition.

The Eldar want to sabotage the Space Marine effort to stop the Tyranid Hive Fleet, because the Hive Fleet is on a path to the Eldar Craftworld after it finishes consuming the Human worlds. The Eldar decide to provoke the Orks into attacking the Space Marines to weaken the Human defenses before the Hive Fleet invades. The Eldar then try to destroy the special Forge that Space Marines are making weapons to fight the Tyranids from. The Eldar justification is that this would save the Eldar Craftworld. Why would helping the Tyrannid Hive Fleet consume Human worlds and get even stronger before reaching the Craftworld save the Craftworld? Wouldn't it make sense to help the Space Marines fight the Hive Fleet to further delay and weaken them? This complete logic FAIL is such terrible, terrible writing that doesn't even make sense.

Xapati

Zzoram said:
The story in this game is so badly written.

The Eldar want to sabotage the Space Marine effort to stop the Tyranid Hive Fleet, because the Hive Fleet is on a path to the Eldar Craftworld after it finishes consuming the Human worlds. The Eldar decide to provoke the Orks into attacking the Space Marines to weaken the Human defenses before the Hive Fleet invades. The Eldar then try to destroy the special Forge that Space Marines are making weapons to fight the Tyranids from. The Eldar justification is that this would save the Eldar Craftworld. Why would helping the Tyrannid Hive Fleet consume Human worlds and get even stronger before reaching the Craftworld save the Craftworld? Wouldn't it make sense to help the Space Marines fight the Hive Fleet to further delay and weaken them? This is such terrible, terrible writing that doesn't even make sense.

I imagine the conversation went like this:

Eldar Warlock: Hey, the Space Marines plan to use a neuro-toxic poison to destroy the Hive Fleet. Why didn't we think of that?
Eldar Farseer: I dunno, lol.
Warlock: Do you still wanna blow the Planet up?
Farseer: Yep.

Also I just noticed my saved game got lost somehow. This pisses me off :-/

Zzoram

I wonder why the terrible story wasn't mentioned more often. For a game that was selling itself in large part due to the non-traditional campaign mode, you'd think a terrible story would be a bigger deal to people.

Also, so many of the levels in the game are reused. You have to fight on every map 2 times, more if you do optional missions, and you just spawn in a slightly different spot each time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zzoram said:
The story in this game is so badly written. Playing games like this reminds me how Blizzard RTS games are still orders of magnitude above the competition.

The Eldar want to sabotage the Space Marine effort to stop the Tyranid Hive Fleet, because the Hive Fleet is on a path to the Eldar Craftworld after it finishes consuming the Human worlds. The Eldar decide to provoke the Orks into attacking the Space Marines to weaken the Human defenses before the Hive Fleet invades. The Eldar then try to destroy the special Forge that Space Marines are making weapons to fight the Tyranids from. The Eldar justification is that this would save the Eldar Craftworld. Why would helping the Tyrannid Hive Fleet consume Human worlds and get even stronger before reaching the Craftworld save the Craftworld? Wouldn't it make sense to help the Space Marines fight the Hive Fleet to further delay and weaken them? This complete logic FAIL is such terrible, terrible writing that doesn't even make sense.
If I remember correctly, the reason they wanted to blow up the forge was because they knew it would cause an explosion that would consume the entire hive fleet, whereas they didn't know if the toxin would work.

Zzoram said:
I wonder why the terrible story wasn't mentioned more often. For a game that was selling itself in large part due to the non-traditional campaign mode, you'd think a terrible story would be a bigger deal to people.

Also, so many of the levels in the game are reused. You have to fight on every map 2 times, more if you do optional missions, and you just spawn in a slightly different spot each time.
The story is retarded but I just didn't pay attention to it. I never really pay attention to or care about the story in strategy games. Plot has very little to do with what I enjoy about RTS.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Zzoram said:

I think the eldar actually planned to let the tyranids feast on the space marine worlds, so that their craftworld won't look as nice to them. Not like there are many eldar left...

Zzoram

Des0lar said:
I think the eldar actually planned to let the tyranids feast on the space marine worlds, so that their craftworld won't look as nice to them. Not like there are many eldar left...

That would only make the Hive Fleet stronger.

Zzoram

Nirolak said:
If I remember correctly, the reason they wanted to blow up the forge was because they knew it would cause an explosion that would consume the entire hive fleet, whereas they didn't know if the toxin would work.

Hmm actually this is the most plausible answer so far. It doesn't explain why they were weakening defenses on the other worlds though.

Zzoram

Chris Remo said:
The story is retarded but I just didn't pay attention to it. I never really pay attention to or care about the story in strategy games. Plot has very little to do with what I enjoy about RTS.

Yeah, I guess story doesn't matter that much, since most people play RTS for the skirmishes.

desverger

I actually tried the co-op campaign last night for the first time. I was quite surprised how well it worked and how thought out it was, seeing as features like these are usually an afterthough by design and functionality. The only thing I could complain about is that the loot management doesn't really support two players so well, when it's based on "who equips first, gets!". Oh and GFWL didn't melt the galaxy, which is a nice bonus.

The only thing I wondered about is that do you get to decide who controls which squads later on?

Zzoram

I hate how the game doesn't have a chat log, and if someone is lagging, those "waiting for" notices will push your actual chat off screen and you can never get it back.

Top Bottom