• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Inskipp

Almost dl'd the patch and about to try it with m8s. I'm intrigued to see if the Terminator armor for FC is finally useful.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Enosh said:
2.5 gigs?

looks like the patch is the whole CR game

Well it has all the multiplayer maps and all the new unit data (including all the chaos units) so yea it's big.

Phife Dawg said:
Reading is fundamental. We had non space marine campaigns (and add-ons) before. And in regards to games in general there is Firewarrior (based on Tau).

Even before that, Rites of war (eldar) those games bombed though.

Zavvi shipped my order today - paying half as much as a download on Steam would cost me :lol . Waiting is a bitch though...

fizzelopeguss said:
Even before that, Rites of war (eldar) those games bombed though.
Yeah forgot about that. Games bombing doesn't mean they were never made though. Anyways not asking about a game that focuses on other races - just a campaign with different peeps, that's all.

Xapati said:
This game is updating weirdly. I was at 15% and then it dropped to zero. Also my Chaos Rising preorder disappeared from my list of uninstalled games. :-S

Same thing happened to me. This is the STEAM beta if it makes a difference.

Won

Just played a round against CPU Chaos, though he didn't seem to build anything past T1, which is pretty much Space Marines in black. :/

Dreavus

94% done...

How are you guys finding the balance changes?

I've been reading that Banshees are presently ridiculous in T2. A 50% ranged damage reduction while using fleet of foot with an exarch attached; coupled with the Warlocks global ability distort field to further reduce that damage makes for a pretty resiliant banshee squad. I guess I'll have to try it myself. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dreavus said:
94% done...

How are you guys finding the balance changes?

I've been reading that Banshees are presently ridiculous in T2. A 50% ranged damage reduction while use fleet of foot with an exarch attached; coupled with the Warlocks global ability distort field to further reduce that damage makes for a pretty resiliant banshee squad. I guess I'll have to try it myself. :lol

O.O

My enemies. They will lie in a mound.

Xapati

just played a few hours, my first impressions:
holy crap are assault marines with lightning claws are powerful. These guys shred everything. With what seems to be a massive increase in the resource rate I field at least one or even two of these squads. Makes asm more viable as well as they aren't the only thing in close combat. Space marines are really powerful now, especially if you pick the Force Commander Hero. Librarian is cool, but dies kinda fast. Be careful with him!

Oh and Fire Prisms are pure crap, they move as fast as a devastator squad. Eldar warlock got nerfed pretty bad now that he doesn't have his knockdown jump anymore. His Providence+Witchblade of Kronus+Warpthrow combo is as deadly as ever though.

Walkers in general don't seem to play as big a role as I expected them too, probably because they now cost lots and lots of power and there are simply better options.

Vashu

The update, it's going soooooo sloooowww....

Ah well, I will get the expansion on friday and I'll see what happens after that. :D

eznark

Banned
Trying to play the update in anticipation of midnight...but for some reason Steam is running in offline mode and I can't figure it out.

Llyranor

Heh, Hive Tyrant and Sorcerer seem pretty cool in Last Stand. Couldn't really check the higher level abilities in the campaign since you don't start off in the setup screen and I don't want to get through the first mission without my co-op buddy yet.

:mad:

remz said:
What the fuck. I bought the boxed version and I still have to download 2GBs before I can play.

BS.
You mean you bought the boxed version of DoWII and are complaining about a free update? FFS some people are such whiny bitches. You would rather just be locked out of games with the new content?

remz said:
What the fuck. I bought the boxed version and I still have to download 2GBs before I can play.

BS.

Wait, you are seriouly complaining about company actually patching a year old game? The new patch not only add stuff but the game also play better.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
tahrikmili said:
They've been living in the Warp for millenia. That's quite normal. :lol

I'm talking game balance wise. My upgraded Chaos Marine Squad killed an assault squad in about 3 seconds flat :eek:. Don't even get me started on the Chaos Lord.

remz

antiquegamer said:
Wait, you are seriouly complaining about company actually patching a year old game? The new patch not only add stuff but the game also play better.
BudokaiMR2 said:
You mean you bought the boxed version of DoWII and are complaining about a free update? FFS some people are such whiny bitches. You would rather just be locked out of games with the new content?
Nope, I've been playing the game since launch, put like 200 hours in and love the free support we were getting.

I'm complaining that my chaos rising disc is seemingly completely useless- What was the point of me buying it if instead of installing from the disc it still has the download the entire game. Which is a load of shit. might as well have brought the manual with the code on the back :lol

I thought seeing as chaos rising just came out it would be obvious what I was talking about, apparently not.

I'm just pissed because I have slow as fuck internet, and if I know this was the case, I would've just got it off Steam.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Played a few hours of coop campaign. Mission design is much stronger then the base game so far and the Chaos powers you get by being a complete interstellar dick are fantastic.

markot

Banned
Sinatar said:
Played a few hours of coop campaign. Mission design is much stronger then the base game so far and the Chaos powers you get by being a complete interstellar dick are fantastic.
What if your an intergalactic nice guy >_<?!

Philthy

That Eurogamer review has me really pumped now. I was kind of passive on it, going to buy it when I got around to it maybe this weekend, but now I want to get this as soon as I get home. It really sounds like they cleaned up the single player so that missions aren't all cookie cutter, and that the only real complaint was that the game had too many ways of turning to Chaos that you needed to actively avoid if you wanted to remain pure.

Can't wait to turn all my guys to Chaos.

Lime

Damnit, the update messed up my items in my campaign. I just needed a couple of missions completed before the final mission, but now I'm going to miss all the good items (lvl 20 terminator armor for example). Relic says I'll have to wait for a patch or continue playing :(

Haeleos

Ugh, does this piss off anyone else? With all these games with scripted encounters (recently Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age and this), you put your squad or your characters in defensible positions only to have a cutscene trigger and it teleports all of your squad members into the middle of an area, completely surrounded by whatever enemies just spawned in. I knew they were going to ambush me, that's why I put them behind cover!!! RAAAAAHHHHGGG

traveler

Not Wario
So I let my Xbox Live Gold subscription lapse and get downgraded to Silver as I no longer have a working Xbox. Makes sense right? Well, yesterday I loaded up DoW2 vanilla to try out the changes pre-xpac and find that I cannot play any form of mp or last stand, even bot battles. I didn't think a Gold membership was required for PC mp- is my memory failing me? I wanted to get the xpac but there's no way I'll be paying $50 on top of the purchase price given that this is the only GFWL game I'll even be playing this year.

Edit: Well, this is weird. I'm not getting the message any more and it's letting me play. I know for a fact it wasn't letting me yesterday, though. Huh. Well, I'm not complaining. :lol

traveler said:
So I let my Xbox Live Gold subscription lapse and get downgraded to Silver as I no longer have a working Xbox. Makes sense right? Well, yesterday I loaded up DoW2 vanilla to try out the changes pre-xpac and find that I cannot play any form of mp or last stand, even bot battles. I didn't think a Gold membership was required for PC mp- is my memory failing me? I wanted to get the xpac but there's no way I'll be paying $50 on top of the purchase price given that this is the only GFWL game I'll even be playing this year.

Edit: Well, this is weird. I'm not getting the message any more and it's letting me play. I know for a fact it wasn't letting me yesterday, though. Huh. Well, I'm not complaining. :lol
Could be a small glitch from when you dropped down to silver, but all gfwl online play is free still.

Minsc

Gold Member
_tetsuo_ said:
The campaign is not even a strategy game anymore :lol

The awesome Eurogamer review went so far as to (almost) call it a loot game! Should be sweet.

Looking forward to kicked Chaos' butt thoroughly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I liked DoW II's campaign and all but Chaos Rising's kinda blows it out of the water. It does actually play a lot like Diablo or something similar because you never have a chance to do any typical RTS activities. The whole time the game is basically crashing huge waves of enemies against you, they drop like 5x the amount of loot and you get way more abilities to use.

There are also 2 separate ways to level up, basically. By your experience earned and by your morality. The morality abilities look really good on both sides. You get random objectives during missions that you can pass or complete, and they will either lower or raise your morality. All the squad members talk a bunch more as well. even on the planetary view and briefing screens, your commander can ask questions and your squad leaders will chime in on the events happening. You better listen too because you can take some morality hits if you dont take their advice sometimes.

The game has received a slight, but still nice, presentation boost as well. There are new rain effects, new animations and new sound effects. Some really good new music and overall the mission play out in a more dramatic fashion.

Top Bottom