• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

JoeBoy101

dorkimoe said:
its not sending out confirmation emails for new users either, its bogged i bet

It is and I got on the webmaster's case via e-mail and they are saying its working and its my ISP's fault. Wonder how thats the case, since the webmaster's e-mails I receive are from THQ.com. Anyways, I used a temp password to get in and register the expansion and it wouldn't recognize the retail code, so it seems thoroughly screwed right now.

Maybe they'll have it fixed by the time I go corruption.

Minsc

Gold Member
Any tips for the defense missions?

They typically go like this:
- 15 seconds to set up your defenses (lol, this isn't even enough time to move my units where they should be... takes me atleast 10 seconds to figure out where the attack is coming from)
- My units are in the wrong spot, and the attack comes from somewhere else, massive losses (enemies usually significantly outnumber me, and out range me as well)
- Next wave, retreat injured squads to be healed/restored to full units
- Not enough time to get in to position for next wave, wave destroys army.

I'm playing on the difficulty below primarch or max, maybe that's causing me trouble. The actual game levels are a good balance, but I just get slaughtered in the defending ones. I'm about ready to start skipping them entirely, as I only win them about 1 out of every 3 or 4 times.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
From trying to get into any Last Stand match for the past 30 mins it seems far too many people playing this game have shit internet, or the game has some terrible matchmaking. Just had someone either disconnect or crash during loading, and had to kill the game via the task manager.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shit. Simply donating a Chaos-tainted item to see how good it gets corrupts your squad when you're on Retribution's bridge.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. :lol

I think I am going to barrel through some levels of this today. It really is so goddamn fun. I like how the difficulty has been upped.

However I seem to be shit with the librarian. I always feel like I need to choose between him and Thule, but Thule is just such a damn powerhouse with a autocannon that its tough to justify Jonah. Maybe I just need to practice with him...

The
Space Hulk
levels were cool as hell. I am tempted to search around for that old game that has always been praised. It was cool because I rarely use Cyrus but he was a lifesaver in those levels.

BudokaiMR2 said:
I think I am going to barrel through some levels of this today. It really is so goddamn fun. I like how the difficulty has been upped.

However I seem to be shit with the librarian. I always feel like I need to choose between him and Thule, but Thule is just such a damn powerhouse with a autocannon that its tough to justify Jonah. Maybe I just need to practice with him...

The
Space Hulk
levels were cool as hell. I am tempted to search around for that old game that has always been praised. It was cool because I rarely use Cyrus but he was a lifesaver in those levels.
Jonah's increased attack speed and run speed spell is pretty good. Also, his increase run speed (on self) makes him FLY!

Inskipp

Finished the campaign on Primarch. Very awesome, possibly my favorite DoW- campaign of all. Really interesting development for the Blood Raven- chapter. (final boss was a goddamn bitch though)

Oh and the Chaos Sorcerer is awesome :D

Yeah I actually got a good setup with Jonah. I have the passive ability where he fires smite and ignite soul randomly without using energy along with both a hood and staff that increase the effectiveness of those two spells. Combined with Vortex of Doom as his main energy ability it made a good combo.

Question I have though.
Is the traitor always avitus? Or does it change depending on how Corrupt they are? He was the most corrupted one on my squad but I figured it was just a coincidence. I am going to miss frag missiles and lascannons :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah I actually got a good setup with Jonah. I have the passive ability where he fires smite and ignite soul randomly without using energy along with both a hood and staff that increase the effectiveness of those two spells. Combined with Vortex of Doom as his main energy ability it made a good combo.

Question I have though.
Is the traitor always avitus? Or does it change depending on how Corrupt they are? He was the most corrupted one on my squad but I figured it was just a coincidence. I am going to miss frag missiles and lascannons :(

For me (fully corrupt) it was Tarkus. Also lost the dreadnaught earlier as he couldn't stand working with us any more. Apparently if you're a goody goody you lose the techmarine, yea the guy who isn't even an active party member.

Vorador

Banned
It's curious how they've basically patched DoW II with the entire expansion pack to allow people with DoW II to play against Chaos Rising owners in multiplayer :lol . Purchasing Chaos Rising nets you a 1 Mb key file that unlocks the new campaign.

Btw the difficulty feels really upped from the original. If i'm careless, it's easy to lose squads or the entire mission in seconds. That makes the corruption gear even more desirable. :D

Any general multiplayer tips for a big time noob? I felt like I held my own in vanilla DOW2 but recently I've just been getting rocked. Obviously any advice depends on your army and commander of choice, and also what your opponent is doing but any help would be appreciated.

I normally go with the Space Marines and Apocathery or Eldar and Warlock, so some specific questions:

Apocathery Upgrades: Is Power Axe / Purification Rites / Combat Stimulants the best choice? Should I never go with the bolter?

Warlock Upgrades: I normally go with the Witchblade and Champion Robe to improve his frontline capabilities, should I consider another route?

Suppression platforms: Worth it or not?

Chaos Space Marines: Some strategies on countering them? They currently seem to be the most popular choice online right now.

Thanks in advance.

Dynoro

Vorador said:
Btw the difficulty feels really upped from the original. If i'm careless, it's easy to lose squads or the entire mission in seconds. That makes the corruption gear even more desirable. :D
Big ramp up in difficulty from the very first mission; but that isn't a bad thing. Feels great to play so far and love the destructible parts in the snowy levels and the dual talent line (with corruption)

Will probably finish the new campaign tonight, be intrigued to roll through it again in co-op and get all the corruption abilities.

Started playing Last Stand last night, never got round to it in the main game. Damn that is fun. My friend chose the Chaos Sorceror, he's pretty weak, but being able to duplicate the AI Force Commander that spawns is so awesome and his Doom Bolts are ridiculously powerful if they hit.

remz

Warlock Upgrades: I normally go with the Witchblade and Champion Robe to improve his frontline capabilities, should I consider another route?
The spear type witchblade used to be super good but I noticed it's been nerfed this patch, I'd still get it against SM and other eldar, but for Chaos or Nids go the immolator blade.

Champion's robe is his best armor, unless you roll the Providence one with the last witchblade.

Accessory for the lock is either the energy filler or the warp throw gauntlet. never get the healing item.

as for Chaos, depends on the commander. You'll wanna have some AV very quick in T2 to deal with those ridey demons, and supression platforms fuck chaos up real good.

Xapati

Sir Garbageman said:
Any general multiplayer tips for a big time noob? I felt like I held my own in vanilla DOW2 but recently I've just been getting rocked. Obviously any advice depends on your army and commander of choice, and also what your opponent is doing but any help would be appreciated.

I normally go with the Space Marines and Apocathery or Eldar and Warlock, so some specific questions:

Apocathery Upgrades: Is Power Axe / Purification Rites / Combat Stimulants the best choice? Should I never go with the bolter?

Chaos Space Marines: Some strategies on countering them? They currently seem to be the most popular choice online right now.

Thanks in advance.

Can't help much with Space marines, but if you do play them I'd play Force Commander and try to get Assault Terms with Lightning claws as fast as possible.

Now for Eldar Warlock: The first on you want is Warp Throw, this allows you to toss around blobs of Marines and / or Supression weapons, perferably right in front of your guardians and proceed to grenade them or in front of a supression weapon. With a little practice you can also toss close combat units advancing on your army. Best wargear in the game imo.

Now for the armor and weapon there are basically two choices:

First, Merciless Witchblade + Champions Robe, this allows you to drain power with every strike in order to fuel your bubble, basically turning your Warlock into a Tanklock.

The second combination, and my favorite, is Providence + Witchblade of Kronus. Combined with Warpthrow this turns your Warlock into a one man army: First you wait until all your abilites are recharged, then you run your Warlock straight into the enemy army. As he takes damage Providence will charge up, as soon as it's ready you activate it. Now under Providence the Warlock is invulnerable and his abilities recharge almost immediately and they require no power. So what you do is you toss the enemy army into your warlock and then spam the Witchblades attack. If the enemy tries to move away you run after them with Fleet of Foot or you simply toss them with Warpthrow. Most players don't even realise what's happening and you can get rid of a nice chunk of their army before they realise they are fucked, and in any case it will force the enemy to retreat or take heavy losses. The only weakness this combo has are weapons with knockdown like the plasma dev. And as with any killer unit, said unit should always be backed up by at least a reasonable force if you can.

Another thing I found about most Eldar players is that they spam Wraithguard. Now granted, these are great units, but you can easily tie them up. As a chaos player I use bloodcrushes, works like a charm. The lesson is to have supporting units. Guardians have been nerfed a bit, but they are imo still the bread and butter of an Eldar army, give them grenades and a Warlock, support them with your Warlock (with Warpthrow) and use Wraithguard as a nice to have unit instead of your backbone.

A few more general tips:
-Stay away from the tanks, they are extremely slow, very fragile and very very expensive. Invest the resources in Wargear for your Warlock and support units.

-If you must have a machine get a Walker with a shurikan attached, set it to ranged stance. This way you can use it as a guard against close combat oriented units.

- Use webway gates excessively, either to strike at the enemy from behind, to harass their power nodes or support your allies. At 50 red a piece don't worry if you lose a few. Webway gates are another reason I do not like the Wraithguard, since they can't enter them.

- Use the Warlocks other global powers, they are cheap so use them often. Certinately a better investment of red then Warpstorm which is a one-shot hit or miss attack in the endgame.

Anyway these are just a few ideas, experiment with them. There's stuff I haven't mentioned like using the Rangers holofield to advance your Guardians in stealth so you can grenade them, play around and see what works for you.

Anyway, I hope this post helps some eldar players. So go out and have some fun with elves!

And if all else fails you can join the Dark Side, we have cookies ;).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
markot said:
Is there much benefit to using a completed save at the start?
You start at level 20 as opposed to level 17, and you get to use all the gear you had equipped at the end of DoW2 by the second mission. Which is really, really useful considering how crappy some of the starting loot is.

Xapati said:

Thanks a ton, I can't wait to give some of these a go when I get home from work. The Providence + Witchblade of Kronus combo sounds deadly. As for Warpthrow, sounds like I don't use it enough, got to get into the habit of doing so.

You're right about the tanks btw. I've gotten into the bad habit of using the fire prism late game and next thing you know its REAR HIT, REAR HIT, BOOM, later tank.

What do you think about banshees when using the Warlock? I feel like they get ripped to shreds way too easily for a melee unit. I've been spamming guardians recently instead and letting my Warlock take care of any and all melee combat.

Sober

while looking around for a copy of DoWII, I stumbled upon the Gold Edition for DoWII ... it has both games, so would that be worth picking up at this point?

Sober said:
while looking around for a copy of DoWII, I stumbled upon the Gold Edition for DoWII ... it has both games, so would that be worth picking up at this point?
yup. it's a pretty good price for an awesome game.

Dreavus

Not really pertinent to the new changes, but my buddy and I have been fun using the Warlock's cloak of shadows along with the "hide da boyz" global to have a completely infiltrated army. The cloak hides everyone around the warlock, and the global hides the warlock himself. Haven't been able to use it completely effectively yet, but it is funny slowly closing the gap with a massive army right in front of enemy suppression teams - by the time we are detected we're practically in melee. :lol

Sir Garbageman said:

Thanks in advance.

Right now, Eldar suppression platforms are the best in the game in pure cost effectiveness. Shuriken platforms not only received a health buff in the expansion, but they can now enter buildings as well. Throw them into a structure early game and laugh as your opponent struggles to dislodge you. Not to mention they are only 210 req and 30 power, which is dirt cheap compared to other races' suppression options. I am fully expecting them to get a price increase sometime in the near future because right now they are just so good for their price.

And if you haven't tried it yet, they also work extremely well with the Eldar's new Wraithguard squads. Suppressing a squad that is within range of a Wraithguard volley is a goddamned death sentence. :)

Yea, Wraithguards are really solid, they just totally wreck things if the enemy isn't expecting them.

BTW I've learned really quickly that if you're facing Chaos Space Marines in multiplayer try to get some AV weaponry quick. Those Bloodcrushers can rip you a new one in a heartbeat if you're not prepared for it.

LowParry

fizzelopeguss said:
God, essence engine looks fantastic but it's probably got the worst pathfinding i've seen in a loooong time.

Chaos pathing is strange. Maybe it's borked or something but I'll have at times my range unit go run on in close to melee to shoot.

remz

CcrooK said:
Chaos pathing is strange. Maybe it's borked or something but I'll have at times my range unit go run on in close to melee to shoot.
Yeah heretics seem to do that pretty often

Just played Last Stand for the first time the other day, so fun.

I get my ass kicked in multiplayer though, even in friendly 3v3 matches. The MP plays a lot like CoH (much moreso than the campaign) and I hate it. I would really like some general mp tips and some Apothecary tips from pros..

remz

tahrikmili said:

I get my ass kicked in multiplayer though, even in friendly 3v3 matches. The MP plays a lot like CoH (much moreso than the campaign) and I hate it. I would really like some general mp tips and some Apothecary tips from pros..
Play agressively in MP, you should always bhe capping and if not capping, be fighting.

as space marines, try to never ever lose a unit. most of your units are costly to replace, and more so then with other races you shuold avoid losing even one.

as apoth, grab purification rites, the power axe and armor of the apothercarian, and heal heaps!

Dreavus

tahrikmili said:

If you're looking to improve yourself in MP I would advise checking out Octopus Rex's Basic Tactical Primer over on the Relicnews community forums. Some of the specific examples are a little bit out dated at this point, but all the general tips still stand under the current patch. It's a LOT to read but really gives you a ton of vital info, including some general tactics for things like positioning and grenade throws, among other things. A Top notch guide.

Go to dow2online.com and watch some of the dow2 mp games they cast. Great community for learning tips and finding fellow dow2 addicts! It takes awhile to learn the intricacies of the mp. Not for the faint of heart. Remember, there are some hardcore dow2 players who've been playing this game for well over a year!

Lyphen said:
You start at level 20 as opposed to level 17, and you get to use all the gear you had equipped at the end of DoW2 by the second mission. Which is really, really useful considering how crappy some of the starting loot is.

I replayed the first game again on recruit so all my char would have good stuff equip since the Primach level, I didn't get crap since I couldn't finish any of the defend mission or did many of the optional mission. It's quite depressing with Steam interface telling me total playing time for DoWII was 155 hours!

I didn't know you only keep stuff you have equip on the last mission : /

Can't wait to play this tommorrow, finally got the game last night after my exam.

Unlock the game (yeah 1mb key) didn't even have to put in the disc ...

It seems you get to keep all your stuff that you have at the time of final assault sans the Terminator armors. The problem is you can't change the diffuculty setting ..and recruit is just way too easy. But I don't want to play through another DoW2 ...grr..

If I don't transfer characters how long before you pick up decent gears?

antiquegamer said:
Unlock the game (yeah 1mb key) didn't even have to put in the disc ...

It seems you get to keep all your stuff that you have at the time of final assault sans the Terminator armors. The problem is you can't change the diffuculty setting ..and recruit is just way too easy. But I don't want to play through another DoW2 ...grr..

If I don't transfer characters how long before you pick up decent gears?
Not sure what I lost exactly, pretty sure I lost a few sets of hammer/shields, but I know I kept all 3 of my terminator armours. The manual even states you will, but they will be damaged so you can't use them right away.

I don't remember what I have but most of the armors seems, to be there, but yeah, I think you are right the shield and hammers are gone and yeah broken terminator armor.

I will play through it on easy and do another run on captain and when I feel like punishment I will do the Primarch.

Oh...and THQ website is crap for registering the game. I hope they fix that.

antiquegamer said:
I don't remember what I have but most of the armors seems, to be there, but yeah, I think you are right the shield and hammers are gone and yeah broken terminator armor.

I will play through it on easy and do another run on captain and when I feel like punishment I will do the Primarch.

Oh...and THQ website is crap for registering the game. I hope they fix that.
For registering on myTHQ, don't put a cd-key in, then it works, took me a while to figure this out on Saturday when mine arrived.

remz said:
as space marines, try to never ever lose a unit. most of your units are costly to replace, and more so then with other races you shuold avoid losing even one.

as apoth, grab purification rites, the power axe and armor of the apothercarian, and heal heaps!

I've been doing both these things and I won 2 out of the last 3 matches which I was pumped about. With regards to the Apoth and not losing units, this is especially true for your ASM. They're expensive as hell, especially after upgrading so make sure to keep an eye an em. Lose one of those guys and chances are you're going to be in deep trouble for the rest of the match. On the flip side though, an upgraded Apoth and 2 upgraded ASMs can rip through practically anything.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wrapped up the campaign last night.

Totally pure! Felt good! Time to do it all over again with some REAL bitchin gear!

Very enjoyable. Highly recommended. Every time I think the 40k universe is getting too ridiculously over the top, it is - but is also AWESOME at the same time. Love it.

I'm ready for the next expansion! Bring on the Necrons! (I wish!)

Also tried some ranked multiplayer after having been out of it for quite some time. Whoa...no! I'll never win :lol

Yeah I beat it a couple of days ago and it was goddamn impressive. They really stepped it up for the single player mission design. The chaos element really added some interesting objectives and consequences to the missions. I can't wait to go through again for a pure run.

I got Radeon 5770 yesterday, put it in this morning, and now I can game with high setting.

I start a new game without the transfer, all the character points were already assign is that normal? I thought if you start without transfer you get to assign all the points. While the starter gears kinda blow, you seems to get a lot more loots.

The addon is even more awesome. I love smashing throught the Chaos. So much fun. But I can't get used to the new guy :(

I'm on day 6 and already Lvl 28 with 2 Squads. How many missions are there?

Top Bottom