• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just bought it 15 minutes ago at retail (the box meant more to me than Saints Row 2), installing the 1MB expansion now! :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'll repost so it doesnt get lost at the bottom of the page.

_tetsuo_ said:
I liked DoW II's campaign and all but Chaos Rising's kinda blows it out of the water. It does actually play a lot like Diablo or something similar because you never have a chance to do any typical RTS activities. The whole time the game is basically crashing huge waves of enemies against you, they drop like 5x the amount of loot and you get way more abilities to use.

There are also 2 separate ways to level up, basically. By your experience earned and by your morality. The morality abilities look really good on both sides. You get random objectives during missions that you can pass or complete, and they will either lower or raise your morality. All the squad members talk a bunch more as well. even on the planetary view and briefing screens, your commander can ask questions and your squad leaders will chime in on the events happening. You better listen too because you can take some morality hits if you dont take their advice sometimes.

The game has received a slight, but still nice, presentation boost as well. There are new rain effects, new animations and new sound effects. Some really good new music and overall the mission play out in a more dramatic fashion.

Anksta

I just played a game online as Chaos Marines. They seem like heaps of fun! Possibly a little overpowered but then again, the people I was versing were not very good.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So what are we supposed to do with the Blight Power Armor from the first game? I donated it to the Librarium, and it said I was going to get an upgraded version, but nothing happened.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You should have gotten a new Blighted Power Armor. You can't wear it unless your corruption level is at 3 though.

remz

Anksta said:
I just played a game online as Chaos Marines. They seem like heaps of fun! Possibly a little overpowered but then again, the people I was versing were not very good.
It's funny, people online are either not very good or absolutely insanely good at the game, there seems to be barely any average players

Anksta

remz said:
It's funny, people online are either not very good or absolutely insanely good at the game, there seems to be barely any average players

I'm one of the average players! If you want to have a game sometime, add Anxta to your GFW list.

eznark said:
I've played like two matches online (so I am no good), anyone want to try and get a match going tonight?

Yeah I'm not all that great at the game but I'm always willing to play something, GT is RedWoodRevoiver

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Holy shit, either I became stupid, slow and useless over the past year, or this game is a lot harder than the first. :lol

dorkimoe

eznark said:
I've played like two matches online (so I am no good), anyone want to try and get a match going tonight?

ive never played a match online, i would definitely like to start though

dorkimoe is my name gfw/xbl name. id be willing to play a few matches though

Just completed the 1st 2 missions and I'm just going to echo everyone's sentiments and say so far so good. Feels a lot more polished and I'm having a blast so far. I love that your squad talk and interact a lot more during mission briefings.

I'm a scrub - average level player as well. Add me. STEAM ID / XBL: Sir Garbageman

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
This happen to anyone else? The patch seems to have messed up my mission rewards.

4l0jrb.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
NameGenerated said:
This happen to anyone else? The patch seems to have messed up my mission rewards.

http://i42.tinypic.com/4l0jrb.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It was mentioned on the community site:

Those of you who have patched today and loaded up your single player campaign may have noticed some odd wargear. If you were playing the DOW II campaign on version 1.9 or earlier and reloaded your campaign after patching today, you will find that the Mission Rewards for Deployments that existed at the time you saved will now have bizarre, alien, or broken wargear. Yes, this is a bug and we are working on a fix for it.

If this has happened to you, you can safely continue playing. Your save game is NOT corrupted, and all missions that spawn from this point on will have correct wargear. You will, however, miss out on the reward that would otherwise have been granted for completing the mission.

No mission reward is required to complete the game. Most are basic weapons/armor, however the following missions have unique rewards:

• A Spider Among Flies
• The Defense Of Argus Gate
• Eyes Of The Eldar
• The Killer Serpent
• Into The Hive
• Rippa Splitta
• Raid Against The Warboss
• The Wailing Doom

If you miss the reward from one of these 8 missions, it will be added back into your inventory when the fix is completed in the coming weeks.

So to recap: It's safe to continue playing! Only missions that existed at the time you saved before the patch have messed-up rewards, all missions you unlock from here on out will be fine, and when we patch the fix we will replace the unique rewards from the above 8 missions.

Sorry for the oddness, enjoy your funky Tyranid arms in the meantime.

Minsc

Gold Member
I got the same weird image... thought nothing of it, played another level in the campaign for about an hour, got towards the end right before the boss, and immediately as I captured one of the strategic planet bonus buildings, crash! First time the game's ever crashed, first match I play after this patch.

Oh well. This will now be my third attempt at the mission, the next time I try it, and I would have easily won in another 5 minutes if it didn't crash.

It's absol-fucking-lutely ridiculous you can't save during missions in this game. Absolutely retarded.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SON OF A STUPID PIECE OF CRAP ARGH AAAAHHHHHH

Gotta find whoever it was at relic who designed the end game for this, tear off his god damned legs and beat him to death with them.

JoeBoy101

Sinatar said:
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SON OF A STUPID PIECE OF CRAP ARGH AAAAHHHHHH

Gotta find whoever it was at relic who designed the end game for this, tear off his god damned legs and beat him to death with them.

We talking Expansion or Main Game?

markot

Banned
I am replaying teh first one, my old save got deleted, was near the end >.< (Thought GFWL might back it up and have one useful purpose >_>) but there seems to be a hell of a lot more loot dropping then I remember. Feels like they bumped it up.

markot said:
I am replaying teh first one, my old save got deleted, was near the end >.< (Thought GFWL might back it up and have one useful purpose >_>) but there seems to be a hell of a lot more loot dropping then I remember. Feels like they bumped it up.

I replayed this again to try to get the 15 medals achievements and I got level 19 Iron Halo thing on the 2nd mission. My Force Commander was level 2!

I have so much loot, that I level up by donating them.

I can't wait to get Chaos Rising ... debating if I should also upgrade my crappy graphic card also but I rarely play PC games... I am wondering if the new ATI 5570 is good enough to run this game at high setting (not ultra) or should I just go for 5770.

remz

antiquegamer said:
I replayed this again to try to get the 15 medals achievements and I got level 19 Iron Halo thing on the 2nd mission. My Force Commander was level 2!

I have so much loot, that I level up by donating them.

I can't wait to get Chaos Rising ... debating if I should also upgrade my crappy graphic card also but I rarely play PC games... I am wondering if the new ATI 5570 is good enough to run this game at high setting (not ultra) or should I just go for 5770.
my GTX260 has no problem with the game on high, not the best with ATI card numbering, but a 5570 should probably handle it fine

JoeBoy101

Corrupted Loot is REALLY scary. How scary? Here is an example.

A Blighted Bolter dropped for me in the main campaign. I ignored it because I didn't use Tarrkus much and didn't want to use it anyways, but the game wouldn't let me burn it for XP. Just started the expansion and went to donate it for XP, and the game gave it back to me. That is, it didn't burn at all, but shot back to my inventory. Oh, and it upgraded from a green to a blue. A nice blue, but corrupts and has a corruption requirement.

Now, I'm thrown for a bit of a loop. Naw, no thanks, want to keep my squads pure and donate it again.

It has now turned into a pink/purple named Blight Bolter with stats that are fuckjesus scary. And it won't let me get rid of it again now.

Another example is when I tried to get rid of the corrupted Blight Carapace. I donated it and it came back stronger. Now, if I try to donate it again, it will add corruption to whatever squad is active when I do so.

This corruption thing is freaking my shit out. Its like the more I play pure, the more absurdly powerful the corruption wargear becomes, silently whispering, "It'll be great. Just one taste. First one's free!"

Philthy

Really digging it so far. They really are swarming the crap out of you. I'm a bit upset that they took most of my relics from the first game and replaced them with dinky level 12 power armor and broke all my terminator suits..

On the other hand, they started my commander with a jump pack and I just jump him right into the middle of 20 imperial guardsmen and it's a huge flashlight party of pure chaos and death.

Enosh

JoeBoy101 said:
Its like the more I play pure, the more absurdly powerful the corruption wargear becomes, silently whispering, "It'll be great. Just one taste. First one's free!"
hah!

great job relic^^

Yeah I am about 3-4 missions in and loving it. Just did the first big fight against the Chaos.

Was also a bit bummed that most of my equipment didn't carry over. If I would have known that I woulda burned it all for XP before starting the new game. haha.

Yeah I am probably going to lean Chaos the first time through just because it is fresh and the abilities seem pretty cool :eek:

I really need to find someone to try Co-op out with.

I bought the original DoW2 back on release and enjoyed a good part of the campaign before I kind of got tired of it (just because the game was so long, I prob put 10-15 hours of it which is a lot for me). I dipped into multiplayer after but was overwhelmed by all of the micro abilities that the units have and individual unit upgrades, especially compared to CoH (and the few abilities of WW2 units actually make sense to me compared to the Warhammer stuff).

With the expansion out I'm getting the itch to try multi again, but am probably just going to run into the same problems. Can anyone who plays the multi a lot give some tips? Are the micro abilities critical to success?

glaurung

Oh hell this expansion pack is tough as nails.

I reached the second mission's climax and the opposition decimated my placements. God damn
Eldar
teleporting into the battle with no alarm.

The stock characters and equipment that you get at the beginning of Chaos Rising - can I import my own characters from the main campaign somehow?

Grabbed it off Steam even though that was stupid and I could have ordered it from UK for half the price.

remz said:
my GTX260 has no problem with the game on high, not the best with ATI card numbering, but a 5570 should probably handle it fine

Oops, I meant 5670, 5570 is kinda crappy. Yeah, I am not very good with ATI numbering either, and not with the recent Nvidia numbering system, but I believe your GTX260 is superior to the 5670 and probably in the same ballpark as 5770 if not better.

I think I should go with 5770, and be future proof for DoW III!

Thanks

LowParry

Campaign was hella fun. Kept myself on the good side. Maybe I'll go corrupts on another play through. MP on the other hand, the new units change up things. Eldar and their Wraithguards are fucking beasts.

JoeBoy101

glaurung said:
The stock characters and equipment that you get at the beginning of Chaos Rising - can I import my own characters from the main campaign somehow?

Yes, but you need a completed save game from the main campaign. It won't do much good as all the termie armor will be broken and you'll have some generic stuff loaded on your characters. The upswing is if you had a large cache of items in your inventory, most of it will come over, so there is benefit. Especially consider the stock stuff sucks.

Philthy said:
Really digging it so far. They really are swarming the crap out of you. I'm a bit upset that they took most of my relics from the first game and replaced them with dinky level 12 power armor and broke all my terminator suits..

On the other hand, they started my commander with a jump pack and I just jump him right into the middle of 20 imperial guardsmen and it's a huge flashlight party of pure chaos and death.

I've been doing the same thing, just jump packing over cover with the Force Commander and Thaddeus causing all types of destruction.

The game is def. much harder this time around. Iirc in the original campaign I only had to replay at most 2 or 3 missions, and now this time around I'm already getting my butt kicked in the final section of the 2nd mission.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
JoeBoy101 said:
Another example is when I tried to get rid of the corrupted Blight Carapace. I donated it and it came back stronger. Now, if I try to donate it again, it will add corruption to whatever squad is active when I do so.

This corruption thing is freaking my shit out. Its like the more I play pure, the more absurdly powerful the corruption wargear becomes, silently whispering, "It'll be great. Just one taste. First one's free!"
I was so happy when a bunch of loot dropped after completing a Redemption task during a mission. Then I got back to the Bridge, and it was all amazingly powerful Corruption gear. :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
JoeBoy101 said:
We talking Expansion or Main Game?

Expansion. Game permanently took away 2 of my best squad members and the end boss is nigh impossible with the turdsteaks I'm forced to use, espcially on the difficulty I'm on.

Philthy

Sinatar said:
Expansion. Game permanently took away 2 of my best squad members and the end boss is nigh impossible with the turdsteaks I'm forced to use, espcially on the difficulty I'm on.

Sad to hear, I'm hoping I can corrupt the crap out of all the loser squads to the point I will enjoy using them.

Oh hell, im going to corrupt them all. Who am I kidding.

dorkimoe

that img bug is a little annoying

I cant get my wargear cuz the website isnt emailing me confirmation :(

PS. Does anyone want to do coop right now? ive never actually played coop, and wouldnt mind getting that achievement for playing coop. ANd i wanna see what happens.

ill be ingame now, contact me via xbl: dorkimoe

dorkimoe

played my first last stand and first MP game

got demolished in MP. i played 1 game in the beta and i dont recall ever building a base, i thought you just fought over the points with the units you had. haha

Curufinwe

I almost picked up the Gold Edition at Best Buy today. Would have been $36 using a 10% off Reward Zone coupon, and you (eventually) get a $10 gift card if you're a member of the RZ gamer's Club. But I didn't think I'd find time enough to play it.

Weird how Best Buy are still selling the original Dawn of War 2 for $40.

Mrbob

Dawn of War 2 Gold Edition is a great deal.

I'm having issues logging into the thq website. I want to get my code for free wargear damn it.

dorkimoe

Mrbob said:
Dawn of War 2 Gold Edition is a great deal.

I'm having issues logging into the thq website. I want to get my code for free wargear damn it.
its not sending out confirmation emails for new users either, its bogged i bet

The last boss sucks ass on primarch. Either I was doing something wrong or the turd just healed from 300k to full life (read 1.9m). WTF!

edit: Finally beat it. I used avitus and artillery'd it to death while it stood in the same spot. never again on primarch...

edit2: I'm talking about chaos rising. Primarch felt a lot easier on CR (minus the last boss) than on the original.

antiquegamer said:
This game is not fun at Primarch level ... oh thanks for the tip. : ) Is Cyrus still the go-to guy for Primach level?

He is in the original. In CR, sorta.

ccgenerals said:
The last boss sucks ass on primarch. Either I was doing something wrong or the turd just healed from 300k to full life (read 1.9m). WTF!

edit: Finally beat it. I used avitus and artillery'd it to death while it stood in the same spot. never again on primarch...

This game is not fun at Primarch level ... oh thanks for the tip. : ) Is Cyrus still the go-to guy for Primach level?

Top Bottom