• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Online, The Official Thread of Destruction vs Order

nataku

So, I saw this on Curse.

Mostly Harmless Item Linker

It's not real item linking, like in WoW, but it's at least something until Mythic puts item linking in (which they said they're going to do). It'll just print the stats and name of the weapon you Ctrl+Right Click on in the last channel you talked to.

Won't work for Pockets/Banner just yet... you gotta bug report those to the author. And it only works on items in your inventory right now.

So I flew to Praag today. It is quite possibly the coolest idea and design for an MMO zone (especially one that two sides will be clashing in) ever.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Finally hit 10 - Haven't done any RvR since level 8, just because I feel like I need to get more accustomed to my character, but in 1 more level I have to decide what I want to specialize in =/. And crafting is pretty cool, at least being able to grow plants in the background while you do other crap - passive crafting is the best idea I think anyone has ever had.

Still, think I need to find a guild, as it gets lonely just talking to myself in game, I find that in MMO's if I don't have people to regularly talk to, it gets boring quick.

Oh and public quests are awesome. I haven't -successfully- joined a group doing a public quest yet, but watching from afar, it seems like a wicked cool idea =p.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kinitari said:
Still, think I need to find a guild, as it gets lonely just talking to myself in game, I find that in MMO's if I don't have people to regularly talk to, it gets boring quick.

Oh and public quests are awesome. I haven't -successfully- joined a group doing a public quest yet, but watching from afar, it seems like a wicked cool idea =p.
Hit up Warhammeralliance.com and check the forums for your server and see what guilds are recruiting. Basically every guild is recruiting right now because it's still early days.

Also if you feel like joining into a PQ, never hesitate. The groups are open for a reason.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah just jump in on the PQ and contribute. The game will balance out if you contribute enough to actually get something from it besides XP and Influence.

fallout

kozmo7 said:
Anyone else still waiting for their copy from Amazon? ;\
Yep. I fucking hate living in a small town. My shipping estimate is now Oct. 10th to Nov. 11th or something like that (this is Amazon Canada, by the way). I'm going to try and find a copy when I go to the city this weekend.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
My goblin looks like a member of the KKK.

kkk.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Had an *awesome* scenario today.

It was the tier 2 dwarf one (hold the flag sorta thing).

Well we were losing badly, it was about 100 vs 498. The destruction player got cocky and ran straight into us. We killed him and I grabbed the flag. We then went on to beat them 500v498. It was insane.

Chris R

Really thinking about swapping server right now... Destruction controls 6 of the zones (t1/t2/t3) of the possible 9. I'll give it a day to see if it balances out some more, but if the server is going to be that heavily populated with Destruction, I'll just scrap the 6 ranks I have already put in and find a different server.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
speedpop said:
Hit up Warhammeralliance.com and check the forums for your server and see what guilds are recruiting. Basically every guild is recruiting right now because it's still early days.

Also if you feel like joining into a PQ, never hesitate. The groups are open for a reason.

Warhammeralliance.com? Thanks for the tip man. And yeah, I guess I should just jump in and do some PQ's, usually whenever I am like "I'm going to do it" there are no PQ groups in my area~ welp, not today!

elseanio

I'm still getting used to the time zone difference.. looking at the server down time, is it down for 5 hours (from now)?

phinious

Not to be a downer, but lately Ive been concidering switching guilds. Im in Guild of the Forever right now, but I would love to get in on some more RvR action. Or even complete a tier 2 PQ, which I havent been able to do yet (rank 17).

Are we gonna start doing any of that stuff?

grate

phinious said:
Not to be a downer, but lately Ive been concidering switching guilds. Im in Guild of the Forever right now, but I would love to get in on some more RvR action. Or even complete a tier 2 PQ, which I havent been able to do yet (rank 17).

Are we gonna start doing any of that stuff?

Hmm, every night that I've been on there has been at least one group of people RVRing or running sewers. I play mostly evenings east coast time.... might be a time zone thing.

If you feel like RVRing or PQing, ask in guild chat... typically a few people will pipe up and form a party.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
MrPing1000 said:
So a member of my guild hit 40 about 7 hours ago. First one on the server, order anyway.

Bloody hell.
What the fuck? I think WAR is one of those games where there is no need for a big rush. Everyone on my server seems to be relaxed and taking their time. Highest guild ranked is 11 so far.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I picked this game up, haven't gotten to play it much, am waiting for my 4850 to really jack up the settings (the game runs better than I thought with my 7900GS, but not at 1680x1050). I am on Magnus server for now and am probably going to try to experiment more. Anybody in a guild or whatever on that server? What are most people on? I am looking forward to PvP stuff - its what I wanted out of a MMO since I ditched WoW.

MrPing1000 said:
So a member of my guild hit 40 about 7 hours ago. First one on the server, order anyway.

Bloody hell.

Couple of old DAoC guildies were like the 2nd and 3rd Level 40s in the game across all servers-they did a classic Camelot-style AE grinding group at fast-respawning PQs and abused the hell out of the killing spree and group XP bonuses, to the point where Mythic had to remove them. :p

Now they are sitting around waiting for the rest of the server to level. :lol :lol

good to see everyone enjoying the game, I knew a lot of people would. anyway, in an effort to cure my "altitis" I've allowed myself to play one, and only one, character: Kurtz, my marauder on the Badlands. I'm with Shadeleaf Mercenaries and we've got some pretty exciting stuff going. We were the first guild on our server (16 mins woot) and last nite we got guild rank 14 and nabbed the first guild-owned keep on our server. I'm currently at rank 22/18 and I'm loving my cutty freakarm. While the maintenance does suck, I'm all for it because of some server lag I'm getting on badlands that makes my target sometimes incorrectly register as out of range or, even worse, still facing me, a huge problem for my positional dps. to pass the downtime (till 1:30 last I heard) may I suggest picking up Mega Man 9: the timing is literally perfect.

Nitsuj23

I'm getting this game today. I quit WoW about 4 months ago so this is going to take some getting used to. Any class recommendations? I liked playing as a Hunter in WoW.

Tamanon

Banned
Nitsuj23 said:
I'm getting this game today. I quit WoW about 4 months ago so this is going to take some getting used to. Any class recommendations? I liked playing as a Hunter in WoW.

Squig Herder is probably the closest hunter amalgam, but the roles are completely different in this game for all classes. There's a lot of bleedthrough of dps/heal/tank roles.

speedpop said:
What the fuck? I think WAR is one of those games where there is no need for a big rush. Everyone on my server seems to be relaxed and taking their time. Highest guild ranked is 11 so far.

I'm just about to hit 25 myself and I've been going pretty steady, not balls out. I also have done every empire influence chain from 1-11 except for 4.

Nitsuj23 said:
White Lion or Squig Herder..

Also maybe Magus, Engineer or Shadow Hunter.

Magus has a pet.. that is more like a non moveable tower that has a lot of dot action

Engineer is like a hunter but with a pet that doesnt move that you can build.. its like laying traps or guns in areas..

Shadow Hunter - Pure ranger archer.. Think Robin Hoodish

Squig Herder - Has a pet and shoots w/ a bow .. Numerous Squigs each with different abilities and buffs

White Lion - Melee attacker with a pet lion.. has decent armor and can't take a bit more hits

M.J. Doja

Banned
grate said:
Hmm, every night that I've been on there has been at least one group of people RVRing or running sewers. I play mostly evenings east coast time.... might be a time zone thing.

If you feel like RVRing or PQing, ask in guild chat... typically a few people will pipe up and form a party.

or.. find a guild that is doing exactly what you want at the time that you want it. you shouldnt have to limit yourself and your own experience because of expectations of a "guild" that youre aligned to. most likely anybody whos mature won't take it too personally that you want to try to move on to bigger and better things. :D

this is a lesson i learned playing WoW, so im just trying to be impartial.

grass is not always greener, but sometimes change is needed.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I've had the game for just over a day now and here are my impressions (while I'm bored and at work).

I can see this game has borrowed a lot of UI and gameplay from other MMO's, which is not a bad thing at all - while I feel it has refined a LOT of the cool features that continue to be refined by new and emerging MMO's, I kinda feel like it fell short of a lot of the things (mostly UI related) currently available in WoW - but I also feel like this will be easily remedied with more addons and patches, so I don't see it as a permanent problem.

Traveling at my current level is a bit annoying, although I just got charge with my White Lion, so toggling charge and flee gets me going places at a pretty good rate, hoping for a mount soon though. Kind of feel like flight masters are too far and few between (as I have only met 1 of them yet) - maybe 2 per map would make traveling less of a chore.

Crafting is a bit... well it's a mixed bag. I've only tried the Herbalism and Alchemy equivelants, but there aren't really too many more options than that. I really appreciate the unique interface, It feels really layered. Having fungus growing in the background as I quest is really cool, but the results feel shallow, and the organization of said results is bothersome. Having 30+ seeds and mushrooms and herbs on you at once is cumbersome, and I could probably alleviate this by being at a bank (I haven't discovered banks yet) but even then, the "background" method of herbalism makes it kind of hard to do that, as it encourages you to go run around and do other things while you're crafting. I just hope I 'get it' sometime soon, or that it gets a bit easier - right now I am skirting Teir 2, but my crafting isn't high enough to compensate, so I am trying to alleviate that - which is a bit frustrating to be honest.

My last real gripe is probably a fault of my own, but I haven't been to a 'major' city yet, I haven't found the banks, or the auction house and I kind of... need those things right about now - maybe I just need it spelt out to me, but I don't see any coming up, and I don't -think- I accidently skirted a major town, but for all I know I am wrong.

Now for the good (theres actually a lot of it in my opinion, I'm just not going to write too much about the awesome).

Diversity of classes - right out the gate it feels like theres a lot of choice and customization in what kind of class you want to play, I love that - nothing more to be said there.

PvP/RvR is solid from what I've seen so far, feels very rewarding (getting drops and exp from PvP is a crazy concept to me). And I don't feel obligated to run a RvR instance, I just want to sometimes - that's a new thing with me.

Public quests are the greatest idea since ever for a MMORPG, I seriously am absolutely enthralled with this feature - everything from the ease of finding a group (well, when it's not like 10am on a monday morning) to the ability to help 'solo' and still really contribute, and the chest roll at the end is great, a mix of contribution and luck can get you a sweet prize - I only ever won one once... but this is like an hour into me playing WAR, so I didn't loot it =/. Still, I feel like I'm going to be very focused on the public questing.

Currently I've just hit 11 with my White Lion, and am thinking of going down the guardian path, but I'm still not 100% sure - all paths seem to have strengths in PvP and PvE. Looking into a guild, as figuring things out on my own has been kinda hard, and I feel like I am only just now getting the hang of things - but in general, I feel like I might be playing this game for more than the trial month.

Kinitari said:
So I've had the game for just over a day now and here are my impressions (while I'm bored and at work).

I can see this game has borrowed a lot of UI and gameplay from other MMO's, which is not a bad thing at all - while I feel it has refined a LOT of the cool features that continue to be refined by new and emerging MMO's, I kinda feel like it fell short of a lot of the things (mostly UI related) currently available in WoW - but I also feel like this will be easily remedied with more addons and patches, so I don't see it as a permanent problem.

Traveling at my current level is a bit annoying, although I just got charge with my White Lion, so toggling charge and flee gets me going places at a pretty good rate, hoping for a mount soon though. Kind of feel like flight masters are too far and few between (as I have only met 1 of them yet) - maybe 2 per map would make traveling less of a chore.

Crafting is a bit... well it's a mixed bag. I've only tried the Herbalism and Alchemy equivelants, but there aren't really too many more options than that. I really appreciate the unique interface, It feels really layered. Having fungus growing in the background as I quest is really cool, but the results feel shallow, and the organization of said results is bothersome. Having 30+ seeds and mushrooms and herbs on you at once is cumbersome, and I could probably alleviate this by being at a bank (I haven't discovered banks yet) but even then, the "background" method of herbalism makes it kind of hard to do that, as it encourages you to go run around and do other things while you're crafting. I just hope I 'get it' sometime soon, or that it gets a bit easier - right now I am skirting Teir 2, but my crafting isn't high enough to compensate, so I am trying to alleviate that - which is a bit frustrating to be honest.

My last real gripe is probably a fault of my own, but I haven't been to a 'major' city yet, I haven't found the banks, or the auction house and I kind of... need those things right about now - maybe I just need it spelt out to me, but I don't see any coming up, and I don't -think- I accidently skirted a major town, but for all I know I am wrong.

Now for the good (theres actually a lot of it in my opinion, I'm just not going to write too much about the awesome).

Diversity of classes - right out the gate it feels like theres a lot of choice and customization in what kind of class you want to play, I love that - nothing more to be said there.

PvP/RvR is solid from what I've seen so far, feels very rewarding (getting drops and exp from PvP is a crazy concept to me). And I don't feel obligated to run a RvR instance, I just want to sometimes - that's a new thing with me.

Public quests are the greatest idea since ever for a MMORPG, I seriously am absolutely enthralled with this feature - everything from the ease of finding a group (well, when it's not like 10am on a monday morning) to the ability to help 'solo' and still really contribute, and the chest roll at the end is great, a mix of contribution and luck can get you a sweet prize - I only ever won one once... but this is like an hour into me playing WAR, so I didn't loot it =/. Still, I feel like I'm going to be very focused on the public questing.

Currently I've just hit 11 with my White Lion, and am thinking of going down the guardian path, but I'm still not 100% sure - all paths seem to have strengths in PvP and PvE. Looking into a guild, as figuring things out on my own has been kinda hard, and I feel like I am only just now getting the hang of things - but in general, I feel like I might be playing this game for more than the trial month.

Crafting is a bit mixed for me as well.. I'm doing Salvaging and Talisman making but I cant keep up with the higher lvl gear I'm finding that is unsalvagable because its too high. Its a bit annoying.

Flight Points are interesting.. they are only at "Warcamps" which usually sit outside of a big RvR zone. So they do it on purpose for that I suppose? I wouldn't mind a flight point here and their but the game also progresses from area to area really well as opposed to WoW where it can be to 1 side of the world to the other.

Mounts come at lvl 20.. so not a long wait. I've only played for a week and I'm almost 20. (Casual play too.. I didn't play on Friday or for only a few hrs on certain nights)

You need to go to your main city for Auction Houses and Banks. Go to a flight master.. look in the Tier 4 area of your maps and click on your main city. (Not sure what the order one is.. The Destruction one is Inevitable City)

Twig

Banned
Traveling in this game is balls. There's no reason not to have a flight master at every, or at least every OTHER camp.

As is crafting. You have to get mats from TWO gathering professions to actually progress in a crafting progress and make good shit -- but you can only have one gathering profession? What kind of balls-ass shit is that!

That's pretty much the entirety of my complaints. I love or at least like everything else.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ahhh, thanks for the Main city tip - first thing I'll do when I get home. I just need to find the warcamp in teir 1 map 2, I dont want to run all the way to map 1 =/. They really do need more frequent flight masters if I am expected to travel from the capital city to regular PvE area's frequently.

So crafting is like that in general, not all too rewarding without going the extra mile is what I am hearing - aw wells.

I'm up to about 3g right now and am level 11, I also have 1 low level blue to sell... do you think I have enough finances to get me a decent setup? Or at least a decent weapon? I feel like my damage is okay, but could be a lot better. But I guess if I am going the guardian route, defense is more important.... hmmmph, lot to think about.

Kinitari said:
Ahhh, thanks for the Main city tip - first thing I'll do when I get home. I just need to find the warcamp in teir 1 map 2, I dont want to run all the way to map 1 =/. They really do need more frequent flight masters if I am expected to travel from the capital city to regular PvE area's frequently.

So crafting is like that in general, not all too rewarding without going the extra mile is what I am hearing - aw wells.

I'm up to about 3g right now and am level 11, I also have 1 low level blue to sell... do you think I have enough finances to get me a decent setup? Or at least a decent weapon? I feel like my damage is okay, but could be a lot better. But I guess if I am going the guardian route, defense is more important.... hmmmph, lot to think about.
Just do Public Quests.. those give the best weaps and gear for your lvl until the next one rolls around. Along with the quests in the area. I wouldn't bother much with the auction house etc and buying new gear.

3g is about right for lvl 11.. you shouldn't have issues hitting 20g for your mount at lvl 20.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
TurtleSnatcher said:
Just do Public Quests.. those give the best weaps and gear for your lvl until the next one rolls around. Along with the quests in the area. I wouldn't bother much with the auction house etc and buying new gear.

3g is about right for lvl 11.. you shouldn't have issues hitting 20g for your mount at lvl 20.

You've been really helpful dude, I just have 1 last question that relates to PQ's.

Is it at all rewarding to go back and solo PQ's that are a few levels below you? Like me going back and doing a level 7-8 PQ for example~. And what's the best class of gear you get from PQ's? Greens?

I guess that was two questions.

Ferrio

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Good god.

By the way, what's the destruction "equivalent" of a bright wizard?

Sorceress

As is crafting. You have to get mats from TWO gathering professions to actually progress in a crafting progress and make good shit -- but you can only have one gathering profession? What kind of balls-ass shit is that!

That's good IMO. A single person should never be self sufficient in a craft. You should have to rely on other people for all the mats.

Twig

Banned
Ferrio said:
Sorceress
Hmmmmm.
That's good IMO. A single person should never be self sufficient in a craft. You should have to rely on other people for all the mats.
To each their own.

I think it's the dumbest possible design choice when designing crafting professions.

Tamanon

Banned
Kinitari said:
You've been really helpful dude, I just have 1 last question that relates to PQ's.

Is it at all rewarding to go back and solo PQ's that are a few levels below you? Like me going back and doing a level 7-8 PQ for example~. And what's the best class of gear you get from PQ's? Greens?

I guess that was two questions.

I've only seen greens so far, but I assume later ones have better items. Generally I've found the items are Renoun > PQ/Influence > Quest.

Twig

Banned
Tamanon said:
I've only seen greens so far, but I assume later ones have better items. Generally I've found the items are Renoun > PQ/Influence > Quest.
Most of the PQ random loot rewards are decent but not great. And most of the ones you'll get are green, unless you get one of the good loot bags -- which are pretty rare. Annoyingly so, almost. 90% of the bags I see are green. Half the PQs I do drop nothing BUT greens.

It's the influence rewards that are awesome.

But, yeah, renown is the best. <3 So I don't really care about all the above. O:<

JoeMartin

TheOneGuy said:
Good god.

To be fair it had more to do with the fact that I was following Yagi (tomei) around while holding onto 100 combustion, and he was nice enough to heal my perpetually self destructing ass (I think I used meltdown all of twice), letting me do my whole "phenomenal cosmic power" thing.

I had been running the game for several hours at that point too, and the last half of the game was like a slideshow.

Tamanon said:

That's what everyone keeps saying, but after checking out the Renown gear at a keep for my level range (14ish) it looks like I can put together a far nicer set of gear from pounding out influence rewards.

Ferrio

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Most of the PQ random loot rewards are decent but not great. And most of the ones you'll get are green, unless you get one of the good loot bags -- which are pretty rare. Annoyingly so, almost. 90% of the bags I see are green. Half the PQs I do drop nothing BUT greens.

It's the influence rewards that are awesome.

But, yeah, renown is the best. <3 So I don't really care about all the above. O:<

Currently my PQ rewards have been better than my renowns. Maybe cause my renown is only 14 and I'm 16... but who knows.

Tamanon

Banned
JoeMartin said:
To be fair it had more to do with the fact that I was following Yagi (tomei) around while holding onto 100 combustion, and he was nice enough to heal my perpetually self destructing ass (I think I used meltdown all of twice), letting me do my whole "phenomenal cosmic power" thing.

I had been running the game for several hours at that point too, and the last half of the game was like a slideshow.

That's what everyone keeps saying, but after checking out the Renown gear at a keep for my level range (14ish) it looks like I can put together a far nicer set of gear from pounding out influence rewards.

Keep in mind that some of the renoun gear is at certain level points. I know the next great set is at 15 or 16.

Twig

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Renown gear only looks unattractive if you can't get your hands on some decent talismans.
Yarr.

And you get a lot of pretty good talismans from influence rewards starting in tier 2.

So the best solution is: do everything.

"And you get a lot of pretty good talismans from influence rewards starting in tier 2. "

Eh, the talismans there are like +3 to a stat for 8 hours or +something to resistance. Not really impressive, you don't have to find a very high crafter (like skill 30-40+) to craft some blue talismans that are +9 to a stat or higher that last 5+ days.

Twig

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"And you get a lot of pretty good talismans from influence rewards starting in tier 2. "

Eh, the talismans there are like +3 to a stat for 8 hours or +something to resistance. Not really impressive, you don't have to find a very high crafter (like skill 30-40+) to craft some blue talismans that are +9 to a stat or higher that last 5+ days.
They're loads better than the stuff you get from random drops off mobs.

Shrug.

Tamanon

Banned
To be fair, that seems to be a pretty underleveled group you faced:p

And are the servers down for everybody? I hate not having official forums.

Top Bottom