• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer Online, The Official Thread of Destruction vs Order

Draft said:
Why do I even have to click the TOS? Kind of annoying.

The unoptimization of the game is really weird and random. I was in some dungeon in Altdorf the other day, a sewer (apparently there are no less than 4 sewer dungeons in Altdorf.) Anyway, I was getting a solid 60, with these occasional HUGE frame drops. Could not figure out what was causing it, and then it occurred to me: the frame drops only happened when one of the "waterfalls" from sewer water flowing over the edge of a step was visible. This ugly, PS2 level waterfall effect was making my beastly PC slow to a Goddamn crawl. It would be hilarious, if it wasn't so tragic.

yeah my 280gtx is choking on some parts of this game, and .... it aint no crysis thats for sure so im like :lol im not gonna renew, somehow I think WoW looks better, or POPS out more graphically than this, I chalk that one up to blizzards art team.

RiverBed

Banned
how can you guys have two names? i wasn't allowed spaces when creating names for my characters so they all had to be one word. also, how can you get titles under your named (not guilds)?

cheers.

FatalT

Banned
RiverBed said:
how can you guys have two names? i wasn't allowed spaces when creating names for my characters so they all had to be one word. also, how can you get titles under your named (not guilds)?

cheers.

At level 20 you're allowed to choose a last name from some NPC in your capital city.

Boobs, since apparently no one saw them the first time around in link form.

War_Monsterside.jpg

Twig

Banned
I remember doing that public quest.

Bitch is UUUUUGLY.
RiverBed said:

cheers.
Like FatalT said, you can purchase a last name at level 20 from your capital city.

You get titles via tome unlocks. Go to your tome, click on the rewards tab, and bon appetit!

FatalT do you play on Wolfenburg? I swear I occasionally see a player named Fatalt running around!

jibbergog_m_030cutdown117.jpg

That's me. O:

RiverBed

Banned
ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. :)

so anybody else rolling as a Zealot? I think I will be changing my character soon as he is way too weak. I play solo, so I need a strong character that could do serious damage or/and take a hit.

Jube3

RiverBed said:
ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. :)

so anybody else rolling as a Zealot? I think I will be changing my character soon as he is way too weak. I play solo, so I need a strong character that could do serious damage or/and take a hit.

Shaman is a good balance of taking hits and doing some damage if that is your goal. Theres also Disciple of Khaine as well.

Beepos

Disabling both lighting options helped my frames considerably. I now have everything maxed out with x4 AA and AF and stay 60+ frames around 75% of the time.

As you can see game still looks great:

2edo8pe.jpg

112a715.jpg

Proc

I'm starting to see why you guys went core...open realm pvp is getting annoying during PQs. Core seems like the more sensible choice for this game.

Twig

Banned
Proc said:
I'm starting to see why you guys went core...open realm pvp is getting annoying during PQs. Core seems like the more sensible choice for this game.
Man.

What.

Annoying.

I can't imagine why anyone with such a mindset would ever roll open in the first place. Bizarre.

Won

WTF @ that Marauder weapon.....that's a one-hand sword? (he had a mutation on)

w0iauf.jpg

Since I need some melee action and Mythic broke my Squigs even more with the last patch, I try to decide between a Witch Elf and a Marauder at the moment as a second char and while I enjoyed the WE a bit more in the first 10 levels, the pure style from the Marauder makes it a hard decision. :(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My personal best.

Best.jpg

I just love my class. Nothing beats jumping while gunning down an enemy and getting a kick ass kill. NOTHING!

FatalT

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
FatalT do you play on Wolfenburg? I swear I occasionally see a player named Fatalt running around!

Hahahah, as a matter of fact I do! I've started a zealot that I've gotten up to level 14. His name is Fatallica. My main character will be that Sorcerer you've seen running around, though. :D

Blackface

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah my 280gtx is choking on some parts of this game, and .... it aint no crysis thats for sure so im like :lol im not gonna renew, somehow I think WoW looks better, or POPS out more graphically than this, I chalk that one up to blizzards art team.

You need to optmize the game, and your computer better. You also need to force graphic settings via your Nvidia control panel.

I run the game at 1080p, with an E8400, 4gb of Mushkin Redline and a 9800GTX, and I get no frame lag. I dipped into the mid 20's when we had a gigantic 200v200 RVR battle on Skull Throne one night. Thats about it. I place with Supersampling, 4Xaa, 4XAS and texture filtering on aswell.

Won

NameGenerated said:
WHY CAN'T I DANCE?!?!

Because it's WAR!!!!

You also can't walk, sit or kneel....

And my servers seems to be on self destruct mode. Abilities not working and other problems. -.-

Chris R

So what exactly does the Standard do? I just bought the first one, and it supposedly has tactics that I can use that would be nice (9% exp boost, 20% faster action point regen) but I can never seem to get it to work, or drag the points to my tactics bar.

You need to be a standard bearer in your guild to equip and pull out a standard. Only the guild leader (or whoever he allows) can assign tactics to the standard. Whenever the standard is out or planted, it buffs all the players in your group or allies in general (if it's planted) with the tactics that are on the standard.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Teknopathetic said:
You need to be a standard bearer in your guild to equip and pull out a standard. Only the guild leader (or whoever he allows) can assign tactics to the standard. Whenever the standard is out or planted, it buffs all the players in your group or allies in general (if it's planted) with the tactics that are on the standard.
Wait, so I wasted 2 gold on that thing for nothing? :(

diffusionx

Gold Member
ZombieSupaStar said:

I read some stuff and it seems there are definitely some problems with the game's engine. I think it was F13 where Mark Jacobs came in and said they noticed a problem with it very close to release.

This game was rushed out to make the September launch. No doubt about it. EA was sick of throwing money at it and it was delayed what, like a year and a half? So it's a bit rough around the edges. Actually it's a weird type of unpolish because some things you expect to be rough are actually really not. It's not like Anarchy Online or Age of Conan where everything is a disaster at X point.

But in any case I really like it and my Witch Hunter. In T1 scenarios I was consistently top 3 in damage dealing which is kind of the point. It's what I wanted. But anyway I am having fun. I am sure it'll be optimized over the coming months. Comes with the territory. I'll stick with it.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
diffusionx said:
I read some stuff and it seems there are definitely some problems with the game's engine. I think it was F13 where Mark Jacobs came in and said they noticed a problem with it very close to release.

This game was rushed out to make the September launch. No doubt about it. EA was sick of throwing money at it and it was delayed what, like a year and a half? So it's a bit rough around the edges. Actually it's a weird type of unpolish because some things you expect to be rough are actually really not. It's not like Anarchy Online or Age of Conan where everything is a disaster at X point.

But in any case I really like it and my Witch Hunter. In T1 scenarios I was consistently top 3 in damage dealing which is kind of the point. It's what I wanted. But anyway I am having fun. I am sure it'll be optimized over the coming months. Comes with the territory. I'll stick with it.

rushed!? really!? seems to me like this is the less rushed mmo ever. think you're being picky.

JoeMartin

otake said:
rushed!? really!? seems to me like this is the less rushed mmo ever. think you're being picky.

It was (and largely still is) an ambitious game for being a launch project. It has to live in the shadow of WoW, which has continually had content added to it for the last 4 years.

To fit everything they wanted/needed into the launch window was unrealistic, and (very obviously) some optimization was sacrificed to get as much content in as they did.

diffusionx

Gold Member
otake said:

I actually kind of agree with you. But I also think EA stepped in and said, "get the game out. Now". I mean, four classes and four capital cities were cut. And there are some weird unpolished things about it. I think Mythic did a great job of making a game to compare to WoW today and not WoW in 2004 but it does need some work.

But picky or not, I am going to keep playing it. I doubt EA and Mythic mind people picky like me.

I made the game look twice as good by forcing AA, Supersampling and AF (though I think the game already defaults to 16xAF) as well as a few other performance enhancers in the Nvidia control panel.

The funny thing is it doesn't even perform any worse with 4xAA on (everything is silk at that point), when the engine takes a dump it does it on whatever settings you have regardless.

It strikes me just how pretty a game this really is. Theres a lot of attention to detail and the texture work and lighting is fantastic. I reccommend everything amp things up by forcing better IQ in their drivers.

Finally got my cultivation to 50! :D

If I cancel the auto renewal CC on my account, will I still be able to play out my 30 days included with the purchase? Either way I plan on buying a 60 day card tomorrow, if I can find one. Tried 3 places today, 0-3.

I think my PC can now run this game without limping. What's the GAF Destruction server and guild currently? I know there were a ton of splinters at the beginning, but what's going to have the staying power?

Also, where are we at for Order? I may want to try that out in the future, too.

Twig

Banned
NameGenerated said:
I'm seriously pissed I can't dance. What the fuck, Mythic.
It's not near as bad as starting up Guild Wars for the first time and discovering that there's no jumping.

Jus' sayin'.

Kade

TheOneGuy said:
It's not near as bad as starting up Guild Wars for the first time and discovering that there's no jumping.

Jus' sayin'.

After doing pro PvP in GW, you realize jumping is useless. I never jump in WAR, it's like the space bar doesn't exist.

Twig

Banned
Pyroteknikz said:
After doing pro PvP in GW, you realize jumping is useless. I never jump in WAR, it's like the space bar doesn't exist.
Man.

I feel sorry for you.

1) That's not true for games with jumping.
2) Outside of PvP, jumping is like 90% of the fun in MMOs. FACT.

Kade

TheOneGuy said:
Man.

I feel sorry for you.

1) That's not true for games with jumping.
2) Outside of PvP, jumping is like 90% of the fun in MMOs. FACT.

Well it is useful for games that aren't MMO's, but I really don't see the point of jumping in WAR.

Twig

Banned
Pyroteknikz said:
Well it is useful for games that aren't MMO's, but I really don't see the point of jumping in WAR.
Well.

A moving target is always harder to hit. That includes both targeting the enemy and actually getting an attack off before they move out of your cone of fire.

There is collision detection in this game. But you can jump over enemies if you want! It's a wonderful thing. They in your way? Get on a slight rise, back up a bit, and leap forth!

Take advantage of the environment. Get in hard to reach spots via jumping. Not talking exploiting here, simply getting around faster. Which is better? Running all the way around a fence, or jumping over it?

It is silly to think that jumping is useless.

"A moving target is always harder to hit. That includes both targeting the enemy and actually getting an attack off before they move out of your cone of fire."

Er, harder to hit? This isn't Quake (and that doesn't help there either). Tab target or use the mouse target mod and jumping around just makes you look like a tool. The only time I jump is when I use a funky hotkey combination and don't want to stop moving.

Twig

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"A moving target is always harder to hit. That includes both targeting the enemy and actually getting an attack off before they move out of your cone of fire."

Er, harder to hit? This isn't Quake (and that doesn't help there either). Tab target or use the mouse target mod and jumping around just makes you look like a tool. The only time I jump is when I use a funky hotkey combination and don't want to stop moving.
So you're telling me the majority of players use mods or tab target?

I'd be willing to bet it's the other way around.

And I wasn't just talking about targeting. As you can see in what you quoted! The latter is more important than the former, anyway.

I mean, I don't really jump all that much, either. But sometimes it's called for, and sometimes it helps, a lot.

Jumping doesn't keep someone in your of fire any more than walking does. It really just does...nothing.

That's not to say there aren't uses for Jumping (there's lot of lairs in the game that require a bit of platforming to get to), but "outmaneuvering" your opponent isn't one of them.

Twig

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Jumping doesn't keep someone in your of fire any more than walking does. It really just does...nothing.

That's not to say there aren't uses for Jumping (there's lot of lairs in the game that require a bit of platforming to get to), but "outmaneuvering" your opponent isn't one of them.
Well, I completely and totally disagree. It's helped me on more than one occasion.

I also don't care enough to continue this argument, so whatever.

Jumping around is pretty useless. Who doesn't at least tab target? Or better yet hit 'n' to target those closest to you. Also consider the fact that you will always autoface your target.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
TheOneGuy said:
Well, I completely and totally disagree. It's helped me on more than one occasion.

I also don't care enough to continue this argument, so whatever.
Get the last word in!!

JoeMartin

Jump has helped me get into LOS on multiple occasions. Especially if someone is sitting behind a short wall or something like that. On steep hills the LOS can also be a bit wonky when you're at the top, jump helps a whole lot there too.

Jump is also important to me as a ranged class (EDIT: well, any class really) because I have a whole lot of macros, many of which can move my hand away from a position in that allows me to be moving in a certain direction while hitting certain macros. Jump alleviates the problem as I can jump in the desired direction, hit the macro, land and keep going without technically having stopped.

Jumping also helps better navigate terrain. Imagine small ledges you wouldn't be able to walk up but can easily jump onto. Mourkain Temple is a good example. It would suck ass if you had to run around and use the 2 piddly stairs to get onto the temple every time you ran up to it.

EDIT: Oh, and by far most importantly, especially for BWs, jumping allows you to strafe straight backwards while keeping a target in your cone of fire.

Jumping is endlessly useful.

Top Bottom