• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
TONX said:
gunkatas.jpg

No photoshop on this computer, but i did my best.

LMAO BODY THETANS LMAO.
Indifferent2.gif

dralla said:
mm ok. just updated the op. so is anyone going to make just regular old GAF clan, no region?

I believe the regular GAF clan will be comprised of the "elite" members of the three current clans. Basically wait a couple of weeks, look at the scores, and form up.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
UnholySpectacle said:
I believe the regular GAF clan will be comprised of the "elite" members of the three current clans. Basically wait a couple of weeks, look at the scores, and form up.

Thats a good idea...Gaf Allstars

KGKK

Banned
So I preordered the game today, yeah apparently it comes out on Wednesday:( So I won't be able to come on till Wednesday night. Also the guy at EB told me something weird that I need confirmation on. He basically warned me it is an online only game which I already knew. Then he all I'm basically buying is a code from Sony which I would use to download the game and the headset. Obviously I knew about the headset, however I thought the retail version was on a Blu-Ray disc. Wtf? I do not want to just buy a code to use to download?

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
KGKK said:
So I preordered the game today, yeah apparently it comes out on Wednesday:( So I won't be able to come on till Wednesday night. Also the guy at EB told me something weird that I need confirmation on. He basically warned me it is an online only game which I already knew. Then he all I'm basically buying is a code from Sony which I would use to download the game and the headset. Obviously I knew about the headset, however I thought the retail version was on a Blu-Ray disc. Wtf? I do not want to just buy a code to use to download?

:lol

You dont actually believe what those guys say do you?

Nightz

KGKK said:
pTRU1-3831888reg.jpg

That code is written inside the thing that looks like a PS3 game case.

Ashhong

KGKK said:

God damn. Guys like that give us employees a bad name :( I work at GS and never say stupid shit like that. sigh

Zaphod

CSSer said:
I don't think it'll matter unless you're hosting games. What's wrong with NAT type 2? I had that during the beta, and was fine with it. Most beta testers were fine with NAT type 3 too.

Also, just to make sure you opened/forwarded the right ports

Is there a good guide to opening up the ports on the PS3? I've done it for the 360 and Wii but I just picked up the PS3 and I could use a little help with the 20 lb monster.

Firewire

Banned
UnholySpectacle said:

Isn't that a bit unfair though? The Beta guys have an unfair advantage in the fact that they have had 1 month's worth of practice already. I suspect in the first week all newbies will get slaughtered by the beta guys. I even see myself as having an advantage & I've only played 2-3 hrs on the beta.

We should at least run it a good month, before an "Elite" clan is formed. Just saying.

spwolf

Zaphod said:
Is there a good guide to opening up the ports on the PS3? I've done it for the 360 and Wii but I just picked up the PS3 and I could use a little help with the 20 lb monster.

you open ports on your router, not on PS3... well in fact, just set ps3 under DMZ so all trafic goes by.

In general there isnt an problem with Warhak, since it has dedicated servers anyway...

CSSer

Zaphod said:

Yep, basically follow the guide for your router here http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Then choose PlayStation Network, and follow the steps there.

We will list a series of lines here that will show you exactly how to forward the ports you need to forward. PlayStation Network requires you to forward the 80,443,5223,3478-3479,3658 ports.

Sony's online manual, http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connecttest.html, says

The port numbers for PLAYSTATION®Network servers used for this are TCP: 80, 443, 5223 and UDP: 3478, 3479.

For voice / video chat and online game play, direct communication with other PS3™ systems is used for data transmission during voice / video chat and online gaming. The port number used for this is UDP: 3658. However, you may need to use a different port number when you are connected using a NAT router.

FightyF

Banned
spwolf said:
you open ports on your router, not on PS3... well in fact, just set ps3 under DMZ so all trafic goes by.

In general there isnt an problem with Warhak, since it has dedicated servers anyway...

Dedicated servers doesn't mean you don't have to open ports.

Zaphod, if you have your other systems on DMZ (some routers only allow one IP with DMZ), just open all the TCP and UDP ports (0 to 65535) and from what I know that's basically the same as setting it as a DMZ.

FREE CLICK

Firewire

Banned

FightyF

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I don't get it, the gameplay was awesome, technically the engine ran flawlessly, network-wise it was bugging out during the beta but that should be fixed, what more is to be expected from an online-only title?

Actually I was thinking about this last night. Halo 2 set a lot of precedent for online console titles, and we saw a lot of it rub off on Resistance in the form of a party system, lobby where people can jump into, rankings, etc.

But there is one whole aspect we didn't see in Resistance, the whole online aspect with the stats, individual game breakdown, etc. Ie. Take a look at this random Halo 2 match here, and take a look at who was killed and where they were killed by clicking on "Game Viewer". I'm not gonna take anything away from Resistance, as with a launch title they had more than enough on their plate.

But with an online only game like Warhawk...you would think that something like this would have been implemented. Maybe there is one, it's quite possible. MyResistance tried to do some of this, maybe Incognito went a bit further.

Other than that, I think that Warhawk is pretty feature complete.

CSSer

Firewire said:
Do I have to do this? I haven't had any problems with my router & PSN. And if I open these ports will it cause any problems on my Mac?

If you haven't had problems, you might as well not. Opening ports shouldn't cause problems on your mac.

Firewire

Banned
CSSer said:
If you haven't had problems, you might as well not. Only do that if you have problems. Opening ports shouldn't cause problems on your mac.

I haven't used a wireless headset though. I'm hoping I don't have a problem Tuesday night because of it.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
FightyF said:
Actually I was thinking about this last night. Halo 2 set a lot of precedent for online console titles, and we saw a lot of it rub off on Resistance in the form of a party system, lobby where people can jump into, rankings, etc.

But there is one whole aspect we didn't see in Resistance, the whole online aspect with the stats, individual game breakdown, etc. Ie. Take a look at this random Halo 2 match here, and take a look at who was killed and where they were killed by clicking on "Game Viewer". I'm not gonna take anything away from Resistance, as with a launch title they had more than enough on their plate.

But with an online only game like Warhawk...you would think that something like this would have been implemented. Maybe there is one, it's quite possible. MyResistance tried to do some of this, maybe Incognito went a bit further.

Other than that, I think that Warhawk is pretty feature complete.

Seems like something we will probably see somewhere down the road with Home?

Games you play+stats+awards.

CSSer

I don't have one either too, so I just did it in preparation for it. People say you get NAT type 2 if you've forwarded ports correctly. It should still work on NAT type 3 though.

garrickk

Firewire said:
Do I have to do this? I haven't had any problems with my router & PSN. And if I open these ports will it cause any problems on my Mac?
Some routers will open ports dynamically to your PS3 (or PC) automatically if the communication is initiate on your side - behind the firewall in your router. Some routers do not do this properly, and yet others don't do it intentionally (more security). It really depends on your router and the firmware. If you aren't having problems, don't worry about it.

Cheap routers, in general, are a mess. They work well with basic TCP/IP functionality for http and other common transport protocols, but most of them have bugs when it comes to other functions. For instance, a lot of the DLNA issues people are having are with routers that they blame on their PS3 or PC software.

Firewire

Banned
Ok guys you're way over my head here (I'm just a Graphic Designer) I don't know anything about NAT types or anything.

All I can tell you is I have DSL (High Speed) from my phone company (Bell Sympatico) I have a Seimens Speedstream 6520 router. Its hooked up to my Mac, but when I play I take it out of my office to my T.V. room, and hook up the phone jack and ethernet cable, turn on the router and play.

Trout

Banned
KGKK said:

You should tell the manager about this or at least correct the guy.

FightyF

Banned
In the same way Kittonwy personified the GAF Resistance Clan with kitten pics...I suppose we should do the same with Warhawk.

For example, GAFw will use a bald eagle:

bald_eagle_bird_MG0813.jpg

GAFe can have an Alpaca:

101486-A-cute-baby-Alpaca-1.jpg

And GAFu can have an angry Rosie:

rosieoooo.jpg

This trash talking is gonna catch up to me. :p

FightyF said:
In the same way Kittonwy personified the GAF Resistance Clan with kitten pics...I suppose we should do the same with Warhawk.

bald_eagle_bird_MG0813.jpg

GAFe can have an Alpaca:

101486-A-cute-baby-Alpaca-1.jpg

rosieoooo.jpg

What is really scary is alpacas are really dangerous, especially if you are male. They will see you as competition and kill you. They really are fierce fighters who are protective of their space. Plus, and I am not kidding, the sound they make is "Meh." Good job on picking an endangered species for GAFw, the alpacas will finish you off.:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
FightyF said:

http://www.travel.hickerphoto.com/images/bald_eagle_bird_MG0813.jpg

GAFe can have an Alpaca:

http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/874/21668/f/101486-A-cute-baby-Alpaca-1.jpg

rosieoooo.jpg

puppy.jpg

I was thinking about using puppies but I guess Rosie is a good choice for a dangerous animal mascot too.
Indifferent2.gif

Warhawk for 39.99 In Canada via Best Buy!!!!!!!! :D :D :D (34.99 w/ coupon)

Credit goes to AzerPhire

AzerPhire said:
In next weeks Best Buy flyer they are advertising Warhawk for the PS3 at $39.99.

I compared the web code on the flyer with the one on the website and it is indeed for the version with the headset. (Web Code: 10092439)

This is a really hot deal as it priced $69.99 everywhere else, even on the Best Buy website.

Combine this with the $5 off any Ps3 coupon in store and you get it for $34.99 which is 50% off every other retailers price and $5 cheaper than the US downloadable version.

Heres a picture of the flyer:

Warhawk_ad.jpg

CSSer

For the coupon at Bestbuy, ask the CS desk for the 'book full of game coupons'. If that deal is true... I'll have to resist killing you guys until then. The cover on there has the jabra headset in the corner too.

Also, if Best buy doesn't realize it's an error, you can show them that and ask them to apply the price, including another $10 off...

The Jer

justjohn said:
is it too late to join?

The game isn't even out yet. I think we have serious issues if this is the case.

And just to throw it out there; I'm willing to be a clan secretary (much like kaching is for the Resistance clan... except I'd probably play a bit more :p ). That is, if we need another "clan leader" or whatever.

I'm assuming we're going to need at least one more clan.

Kittonwy

Banned
UnholySpectacle said:
What is really scary is alpacas are really dangerous, especially if you are male. They will see you as competition and kill you. They really are fierce fighters who are protective of their space. Plus, and I am not kidding, the sound they make is "Meh." Good job on picking an endangered species for GAFw, the alpacas will finish you off.:lol

Meh?
hem.gif

FightyF

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Warhawk for 39.99 In Canada via Best Buy!!!!!!!! :D :D :D (34.99 w/ coupon)

Credit goes to AzerPhire

Thanks for the heads up! I was gonna go download only for the price alone, but wow. This is nuts. But it says available Aug. 30th...

"book full of game coupons" when I worked at BB they never had anything of the sort, but that was years ago.

Safe Bet

Banned
UnholySpectacle said:
I think that will be best...

Let everyone get the game, let everyone play it for a couple weeks, then worry about reorganizing.

Well once I finally get internet I will be picking up a PS3 along with this.

Maybe sooner actually. Anyone know how the PS3 compares to 360+ wireless adapter as far as picking up a signal? I can leech off a neighbors wireless with my computer but my 360 can't seem to pick it up....

calder

Wow, that's a bargain. Worth going out of my way for sure...

One fly in the ointment for me, I foolishly loaned my PS3 to my brother for the weekend yesterday, and I realized later that based on him living in another town it might be a few days into next week before I get it back. Granted, I have BioShock for this weekend (and holy shit is that goooood as most of you know) but I wasn't thinking about ensuring I have it back for Tuesday. Oh well, worst case is I'm online wednesday, maybe thursday.

Anyone know of any compatibility issues with bluetooth headsets and the PS3?

I'm looking at a Motorola H300 for a cheap price but I'm wondering if there will be any issues.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So Jobe was saying on last week's IGN podcast that we should be expecting them to start a blog over there this week. Was supposed to be today, no sign of it yet though.

calder

It might have been mentioned, but there's a sweet flash ad for Warhawk on some sites. It does a really good job of showing the potential of the game by showing a guy running, a sniper zooming in, then a tank killing the sniper, a 'hawk killing the tank, another 'hawk smoking him etc. Nice, effective ad (especially for an internet banner ad), hopefully a sign of a good marketing push.

Top Bottom