• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

vesp

How important is a headset for the game?

Don't have a ps3 one, but thinking about jumping in on Warhawk. I kinda want to get started if I can get the complete experience for ~35-40ish, but have only been able to do that buying a nonheadset version.

mr stroke

vesp said:

Don't have a ps3 one, but thinking about jumping in on Warhawk. I kinda want to get started if I can get the complete experience for ~35-40ish, but have only been able to do that buying a nonheadset version.

imo its a must, you can still play and be productive, but the experince is so much better with communication

Even though I haven't played for over a month, I decided to purchase Fallen Star. I've bought all the other expansions on day 1, and I can't forsake my my favorite game on her anniversary, can I? :)

And for the new page:

Jack Scofield said:
Are some of the official servers down or something? I REALLY want to get back into the game, but when I checked just now, I couldn't find any CTF-Large servers, only a few variations of the expert servers. Anyone know why?

Queeg

Jack Scofield said:
Are some of the official servers down or something? I REALLY want to get back into the game, but when I checked just now, I couldn't find any CTF-Large servers, only a few variations of the expert servers. Anyone know why?

Na I see both European and US CTF-Large servers, they may have been empty or not enough players (depending on your filters) maybe. Or just down for awhile.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sea Manky said:
HOLY FUCK

HOLY FUCKSHIT

IT'S LIKE A WHOLE NEW GAME

SHIT IS INSANE

Okay, so I get a jetpack

Get in a warhawk

Boost straight up

Bail out

Use the jetpack to LAND BACK ON THE FALLING WARHAWK

Get back in.
FDSDHFGSDWEGTGFGSAFGAHWEQGFGAFFSAFASGFEGFG
:lol

User 406

Banned
vesp said:

Caveat: Currently there is a problem with bluetooth headsets caused by the 2.4 firmware. No word yet on when Sony's going to fix it. If you have an old USB headset or an Eyetoy that would be a better option for you for now.

And yes, communication is very important in Warhawk. When the team communicates, the team wins.

Steroyd

Sea Manky said:
HOLY FUCK

HOLY FUCKSHIT

IT'S LIKE A WHOLE NEW GAME

SHIT IS INSANE

Okay, so I get a jetpack

Get in a warhawk

Boost straight up

Bail out

Use the jetpack to LAND BACK ON THE FALLING WARHAWK

Get back in.
FDSDHFGSDWEGTGFGSAFGAHWEQGFGAFFSAFASGFEGFG

You're making it hard for me not to buy the new pack. >_>

Seeing that we have an influx of people wanting to join/re-join the clan I think we should disbanden and then start afresh, there's too many people wanting to join, and it's hard to keep track of who to axe.

Wollan

Ok.. where are the jetpacks?

I have tried the two biggest layouts of Tau Crater hosting my own password-locked server. They don't seem to exist?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wollan said:
Ok.. where are the jetpacks?

I have tried the two biggest layouts of Tau Crater hosting my own password-locked server. They don't seem to exist?
Follow the sound!

Ermac said:
Happy Birthday WowHawk!

Came out exactly one year ago this day. Amazing how much support Incognito is giving this baby. I hope a sequel never comes.

WHY DO YOU HATE MY DREAM OF AIRCRAFT CARRIERS AND A NAVAL FLEET?! :mad:

I just came home and crashed last night at 8PM thanks to the previous evening's overly long (until 5AM) Warhawk session.

I'll grab the new booster some time next week before WARHAWK WEDNESDAYS WWW.VGEVO.COM!!!

In the meantime, how does the jetpack work?

Sea Manky: Can you do a boost controlled fall/descent ala Armored Core?

User 406

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
WHY DO YOU HATE MY DREAM OF AIRCRAFT CARRIERS AND A NAVAL FLEET?! :mad:

I just came home and crashed last night at 8PM thanks to the previous evening's overly long (until 5AM) Warhawk session.

I'll grab the new booster some time next week before WARHAWK WEDNESDAYS WWW.VGEVO.COM!!!

In the meantime, how does the jetpack work?

Sea Manky: Can you do a boost controlled fall/descent ala Armored Core?

As a matter of fact, the jetpack does give me serious Armored Core flashbacks. It fucking rocks. Basically you press R2 to thrust, and you can thrust in any direction. You can also double tap it to boost, and you can boost upwards as well as sideways just like in AC. The boost bar is just like that of a Warhawk or APC, but otherwise your thrust is infinite. And yes, you need to control your descent, since it is possible to fall too fast and take damage or die.

You also can use the L2 button to just keep hovering at your current altitude. Using R2 while holding L2 will thrust upwards, but more slowly. I'm still getting the hang of it. But slide boosting during ground combat is Armored Core all day. You're going to love it.

---

As for the clan situation, color me paranoid, but I really don't want to pass clan leader to someone else, have it immediately passed around to everyone like a hot potato, and then find out later that Incognito is wiping stats for that kind of thing. :| I will pass it on after a while, when it looks like that isn't happening.

In the meantime, I'm going to go back through the thread and gather up the names of people who want in, and send out invites. I'll follow Steroyd's lead and cut people who haven't played the longest to make room if necessary.

And Wollan, the jetpack dispensers are a bit tough to see on the map, they show up as a vehicle that looks like a couple circles mashed together. It looks like a big tanker trailer, and there's a tell-tale stream of smoke coming out of a pipe on the top. Go to the back of it and press square.

Oni Jazar

If you're going to pass around the clan leadership, I want in. :)

I love the new pack. Sea Manky I was playing with you in the small deathmatch game yesterday it was insane! I'm more of a zones guy. Still a lot of fun though. Jetpacks really add a lot to this game. I'm soo happy that Warhawk keeps delivering content. I loved it since the beta and still love it to this day.

Anyone else think Tau Crater feels a little small? I guess it's on the scale of Destroyed Capitol or Archipelago but it just doesn't seem to have the air game of either of those.

Oh, and Jetpacks should be made free immediately because I don't want to play Warhawk without one. Ever.:D (Prays for transforming Warhawk-mechs in the next booster)

User 406

Banned
Okay, didn't have to cut anyone from the clan, but I did delete all pending invitations to people who haven't been active for over a month. So here is the current roster:

Code:
Member		Last Active Date
Jaeyden		8/29/08
freethought69	8/29/08
angelcage	8/29/08
Huggers		8/29/08
Nohne		8/29/08
Trevelyan	8/28/08
Jazar		8/28/08
ChryZ-US	8/28/08
Sea_Manky	8/28/08
Escalation	8/28/08
BlackGoku03	8/28/08
pharmacyy	8/28/08
Flo_Evans	8/28/08
TEEPO		8/28/08
revolverjgw	8/28/08
CaliChronz	8/28/08
DireStr8s	8/28/08
aprodigalson	8/28/08
Bloody_Marcel	8/27/08
GoncaloCastro	8/27/08
hank_scorpio	8/27/08
deepbrown	8/27/08
pancakesandsx	8/24/08
Mintylurb	8/23/08
F-Pina		8/16/08
PlayerBeyond	8/14/08
Cacophony	8/13/08
Arkestra	8/12/08
icechai		7/28/08
Steroyd		7/26/08
JackScofield	7/24/08
carlos		7/22/08
InfectedZero	7/22/08
REDEMPTOR	7/20/08
Methane47	7/17/08
m0nkeyhero	7/17/08
J-Wood		7/16/08
DirtyWater	5/23/08
Azethoth	4/21/08
Nytekrawla	4/20/08
nmook		4/19/08
burnfout	4/18/08
TelemachusD	4/09/08
synic		4/07/08
Cronoc		3/22/08

Invited:
Gowanz007	8/28/08	Assume Invited 8/29
PaiPai		8/29/08	Assume Invited 8/29
MemoryCure	8/13/08	Assume Invited 8/29
Molin		8/02/08	Assume Invited 8/29
womfalcs3		Invited 8/29
TKAwsome		Invited 8/29
seikenchan		Invited 8/29
SgtSpud			Invited 8/29
JupiterUnleashed	Invited 8/29
cjdunn			Invited 8/29
kassatsu		Invited 8/29
Goonboy			Invited 8/29
OmegaSpur		Invited 8/29
aj2good4you2		Invited 8/29
johnFkennedy 		Invited 8/29

I'll keep monitoring the thread and invite anyone who wants in. Inactive players/invites will be deleted in favor of newcomers.

Now, I'm sure a lot of people are interested in that Rivalry trophy, so we should start getting some clan servers going. First of all, it would be nice to know how many people everyone can host. So either post here or PM me with how many people your connection can handle. To find out, just go to Create Game, and it'll test your connection and show the max players in the game settings.

More than half the clan is still playing, so maybe we could get a revival going and start playing together regularly again. :)

Feel free to post suggestions on times for getting together, a couple days during the week for regular GAF games would be cool. I'm good whenever, of course. XD

ChryZ

My shitty line at home is only able to support 4P games ~_~

BoilersFan23 PM'd me a few weeks ago and proposed a friendly match with the fine folks from CAG. I declined since there wasn't much organized GAF clan activity going on at that time, but maybe now we can arrange something.

Soooo wait a minute.

You could in theory use the Jetpack to bail 'n boost out of range of an airstrike if you're in a gun emplacement?!

I never can get the Jerry Bruckheimer run to work for me when I notice the green LAZOR!

freethought said:
I can only host 8 people. I've been eyeing that Rivalry trophy too. Did you guys develop any links with other clans?

VGEVO has a clan, and they play regularly scheduled matches on Wednesdays. Which would help with GAF clan working as a team against other clans, which was my one beef when I was on the clan and we'd play - poor tactics, and always in-fighting.

:mad: WARHAWK WEDNESDAYS WWW.VGEVO.COM!!!!!! :mad:

Some folks there are looking to set up games on the weekends for those with work schedules. So go register and get some stuff going.

Unfortunately my experiment with Time Warner Cable ended in tears for all involved parties, so I can't host games larger than 8P either. Damned monopolies! :(

decon

Hey guys. I want to get this game. I've been made an offer to buy the retail version with the Jabra BT-125 headset for £30. Is the headset worth it?

User 406

Banned
Matches with CAG and the VGEVO guys would be great.

TToB, did you join VGEVO, or should I reinvite you to GAF? And yes, you could boost away from an airstrike if you noticed in time. :D

decon, the headset works fine, at least up until firmware 2.4, where Sony botched something that deactivates the mic in some games including Warhawk. Once they fix it, it'll be very useful for you, but nobody knows when that will happen. :/ Either way, Warhawk rules, it's a must buy. :D

Sea Manky said:

TToB, did you join VGEVO, or should I reinvite you to GAF? And yes, you could boost away from an airstrike if you noticed in time. :D

If there's room sure. I'm just kicking around in random matches.

I just pimp their stuff since it's regular and depending on turnout packed. Once a server gets full on Wednesday they open another.

I've noticed in my players list that there are GAFe/GAFw (IIRC Ferrio is on GAFw) clans as well.

So if there are any folks on those clans in this thread raise your hand.

decon

Sea Manky said:

decon, the headset works fine, at least up until firmware 2.4, where Sony botched something that deactivates the mic in some games including Warhawk. Once they fix it, it'll be very useful for you, but nobody knows when that will happen. :/ Either way, Warhawk rules, it's a must buy. :D
That doesn't make sense. So the headset is basically useless in Warhawk at the moment?

decon said:
That doesn't make sense. So the headset is basically useless in Warhawk at the moment?

It's on and off.

I've had intermittent problems thus far. Since I'm not communicating most of the time (don't bother speaking / listening to strangers) I'm not sure if it would affect me more.

User 406

Banned
decon said:

The problem is this. Bluetooth headsets will work fine for one game, then the mic will cut out, but the ear speaker still works. You can't tell that nobody can hear you, since it seems to be working okay. If you quit the game and go to the Accessory Settings, you can see that the mic level bar won't react to sound. You have to reboot to fix it.

Some have claimed success working around this by turning off their headset before a match ends and turning it back on when the next one starts. Never worked for me.

Other things you can do:

If you have an older USB headset from Socom or Champions of Norrath, that will work fine. Pretty much any generic USB headset should be usable.

If you have an Eyetoy, either the old PSX2 one or the new model, you can use the built in mic. In the accessory settings, set the sound input to come from the Eyetoy mic, and set the sound output to go to your headset or just through your TV speakers. I'm doing this, and I'm rather enjoying being able to just talk to my TV without something sticking in my ear. :)

Hopefully Sony will get on the ball and fix this soon. Dylan Jobe, the director of Warhawk, has acknowledged the problem and has passed the information up the chain to Sony, so they're at least aware of it.

TToB, I've sent you a clan invite, and I'm in the process of registering at VGEvo. We'll see if we can get something going. :)

decon said:
Hey guys. I want to get this game. I've been made an offer to buy the retail version with the Jabra BT-125 headset for £30. Is the headset worth it?

Warhawk is only £19.99 on PSN and you can pick up the same mic for less than a tenner online. Then you can use the money you save to purchase the Fallen Star add-on. :D

FabCam

For those who just want to play the expansion packs I've set up an 8 man server running Tau Crater, Vaporfield Glacier and Omega Factory. The server name is FabCam I think.

GodofWine

FabCam said:
For those who just want to play the expansion packs I've set up an 8 man server running Tau Crater, Vaporfield Glacier and Omega Factory. The server name is FabCam I think.

Cool...I'll look for it, I'll also be setting up one under "TheGodofWine" from time to time. Servers are PACKED now!

Sea Manky said:

There are host at CAG who can host a server for 20 and 24 people.

User 406

Banned
Man, the idle kick is a bitch. I've got a contractor working on my downstairs bathrooms, and whenever he comes up to ask me something or get my assistance, I get booted even if it's just a minute. I need to remember to stand in a corner and spin every time I need to step away for second. :/

Oh well, good time for a break anyway. XD

Picked up the Canyon Run trophy, but I'm having trouble getting Emergency Evasion. Whenever I get tons of missiles locked on, I unthinkingly just dodge them all, and only then remember that I need to use chaff. :X Dumbfire looks pretty tough to get.

And still no confirmation email from VGEvo. TToB, do they have to be manually approved by admins there? I requested a resend, still nothing.

Jaeyden

Just a heads up to any GAF clanners. If you didn't get the trophy for being in a clan, go to the clan page ingame and it will award it to you.

ChryZ

BoilersFan23 said:
There are host at CAG who can host a server for 20 and 24 people.
So I heard a few CAGs are uneasy after our last encounter. I've PM'd you this and for the official record:

ChryZ said:
This should really just be a few friendly games. We can do a strict GAF VS CAG for the trophy and if it's too unbalanced then we switch to mixed teams. This isn't about forum rivalry, it's just for the sake of having fun.
I hope, the people here think likewise, if otherwise it's off.

We can play random clans at GB for pwnage :p

User 406

Banned
ChryZ said:
So I heard a few CAGs are uneasy after our last encounter. I've PM'd you this and for the official record:

I hope, the people here think likewise, if otherwise it's off.

We can play random clans at GB for pwnage :p

Absolutely. We don't even have to play ranked if people don't want to. This is for fun.

Ok, the jetpacks officially make this one of the greatest games I have ever played. They really need to make these expansions free in about 6 months so that we can have jetpacks on Vapourfield and Omega Factory.

I would be very interested in joining a GAFe clan if there is room. PSNid: Palanitir I have been playing on the official servers and generally finish in the top 5 but am getting tired of the general lack of cooperation.

Spy

Thanks! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me last night when I swore I saw someone bail out of his Warhawk, I guess he really did.

FabCam

So i threw my controller in rage for the first ever time. I was going for the Bandwith Donor Gold Trophy and as it went past 4 hours, I checked to make sure I did the right thing. I was running an un-ranked server. Un-fucking-believable. The worst bit, is that I decided to run a server instead of play as I want that gold. Fucking annoying!

Sea Manky said:
And still no confirmation email from VGEvo. TToB, do they have to be manually approved by admins there? I requested a resend, still nothing.

Nope. Should be fully automated. It took a few minutes for my activation link to arrive, but I was able to get in with no problem.

Have you checked your junk/spam folder?

If that doesn't work you can try PM'ing Torgo here. He's one of their peoples he might be able to assist.

Spy

borsdy said:
If anyone wants to join my clan fwrd trophy whoring for a day or so, let me know that I have your permission to send an invite.

PSN: Rexram

Willing to help a brotha out.

Yoshichan

Okay that's the first time I've ever cried while playing Warhawk...

I was listening to The Imperial March (Star Wars, obviously), while flying a Warhawk, doing some insane fucking kills.

Jesus Christ, I love this game.

Queeg

Ok Manky it's becoming clear you don't check your PSN messages often, so I'll ask here.
Can I have a re-invite to the clan please.

And if you play with the USB cord in the controller, just wrap it around the stick and you won't be kicked for going idle. I use that often enough to have a smoke ;)

Top Bottom