• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk - The Official Thread

icechai said:
yes, it is harder for you to turn and chase people or evade. With pro flight on you have more powerful turns by using the right analog, so it almost doubles your pitch/turn speeds without losing your weapon use from power sliding.

It's a good thing humans can use more than one finger on shoulder buttons! :p

icechai

The Take Out Bandit said:
It's a good thing humans can use more than one finger on shoulder buttons! :p

if you're referring to using weapons while sliding, you lose your lock on cursor when you slide :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
devildog820 said:
I rock the tanks and jeeps, even the turrets. I still can't become better in the Warhawks...

Despite the name of the game, warhawks are "reserved" for those who are skilled in them. I have resigned myself that I only use warhawks to travel fast from point to point under the radar and hopefully survive.
And I dont see a problem with it. Put every player in their best position and the game is amazing. Its when everyone tries to fly around or drive an APC without knowing how to boost, or other such stupidities that the game weakens.

icechai said:
if you're referring to using weapons while sliding, you lose your lock on cursor when you slide :p

Ahhh, well I use pro-flight and have just recently thrown powersliding into my bag of tricks. Works rather well against certain pilots.

dralla

been playing WH lately, pretty rusty. still seeing the lulz

4jnzi8.gif

Tntnnbltn

I finally got a Warhawk Recruiting medal, which made me advance like 4 ranks. Except now I'm at a rank where I can't access the Rookie servers. :(

I miss them already. Always heavily populated and ready to go.

carlos

Man, my kill/death ratio is taking a beating lately; between a bit of rust that I can't seem to shake off and the fact that I've had to go back to my original faulty thumbstick sixaxis (the second controllers R2 button is dead)....

It was mentioned in another thread that there's a lifetime warranty for the sixaxis; hopefully I can get it repaired eventually. Spending 50 bucks on controllers sucks :(

Hey freethought, just wanted to let you know that I couldn't hear a word you were saying; all the chat in that game was a garbled mess. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't.

Oh, and may I reiterate how much I dislike the new official server restrictions; my only options are:
1 official expert ctf
1 official expert zones
and 4 other mix or ctf servers, the problem is that these are from spain, italy, germany and japan and the lag is 300-350 ping :/

that's it

oh, and most of the time, they're full or at 31/32 people...I've had to learn to try to enjoy player ranked servers...it shouldn't be this way :(

User 406

Banned
carlos said:
MIt was mentioned in another thread that there's a lifetime warranty for the sixaxis; hopefully I can get it repaired eventually. Spending 50 bucks on controllers sucks :(

Whoa, really? I've got a couple that need replacing. :X If you find any links to such info, please post them.

Oh, and may I reiterate how much I dislike the new official server restrictions; my only options are:
1 official expert ctf
1 official expert zones
and 4 other mix or ctf servers, the problem is that these are from spain, italy, germany and japan and the lag is 300-350 ping :/

that's it

oh, and most of the time, they're full or at 31/32 people...I've had to learn to try to enjoy player ranked servers...it shouldn't be this way :(

Honestly, player ranked servers have a shitton more variety than the official servers anyway. For all their brilliance in making the game, Incognito sure doesn't have a fucking clue about how to make server rotations interesting.

Spy

Alidar said:
Updated Warlord List [bold = current leader]:
whiteshirtkyd (msdstc)

Rexram (Spy) <-- invited
d0g_bear<-- invited

There's a new current leader, I think his PSN ID starts with a b. I'll check when I get home from work, I'm still on the waiting list to be the current leader.

carlos

Sea Manky said:
Whoa, really? I've got a couple that need replacing. :X If you find any links to such info, please post them
Honestly, player ranked servers have a shitton more variety than the official servers anyway. For all their brilliance in making the game, Incognito sure doesn't have a fucking clue about how to make server rotations interesting.

I'll call sony in the coming days and see what I can find out regarding the controllers

Oh, and yes, I agree about the variety, but still there's few of them to choose from; since everyone's using the expansions, last night there were only around 10 to choose from that had 8 or more people (that I could join). And of those, 5-6 were completely unbalanced, with clans outnumbering the other side constantly.

And since some of those were deathmatch only, scratch those off my list as well....I favor the huge 32 player maps (love the chaos), which no one can seem to host :/

womfalcs3

Banned
That looks like someone choosing Suicide over execution. :lol

The context is so funny. :lol

He gets shot at, so he drives off the edge. :lol

He just didn't want to fight it.

icechai

borsdy said:
You know what tank battles are like? The first shots determine who will win, almost always.

but teammates grenades, rockets, flame throwers, warhawks, jeeps, .50s, they all come into the equation :)

carlos said:
1 official expert ctf
1 official expert zones

that's it

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not the same rank as you, but I'm limited to Expert official servers, only ONE of which is Large CTF and doesn't require any expansions (I've got them all, but sometimes I just like going back to the basics).

I really hope Incog reevaluates the server restrictions (1st Lts. shouldn't be locked out of "normal" servers). It's the main reason I haven't played regularly in MONTHS (well, that and COD4).

icechai

hmm, anyone know what's up with the medals? For Aerial Achievement, it requireds WH Machinegun Kills 1000 and IAR 10, my stats say I have 1772 Aerial MG and IAR max 17, how come I don't have the medal? Same thing with some other ones that have flag cap and zone stuff >_<

User 406

Banned
icechai said:
hmm, anyone know what's up with the medals? For Aerial Achievement, it requireds WH Machinegun Kills 1000 and IAR 10, my stats say I have 1772 Aerial MG and IAR max 17, how come I don't have the medal? Same thing with some other ones that have flag cap and zone stuff >_<

For all awards, you need to get the IAR requirements after the global ones. So even if you've done the IAR requirements before, you'll have to do it once more after you've fulfilled the global requirements to get the award.

Also, for Aerial Achievement, I believe the 10 kills must be air-to-air kills.

borsdy said:
You know what tank battles are like? The first shots determine who will win, almost always.

Not always. There are too many variables; but I'll take a wrench and a tank in a ground fight any day. I can hop out between shots and patch my tank up and screw enemies out of their lives sometimes. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not always. There are too many variables; but I'll take a wrench and a tank in a ground fight any day. I can hop out between shots and patch my tank up and screw enemies out of their lives sometimes. :D

Or pin them down with your tank, hop out and destroy theirs, Its one of my favorite tactics...

dralla

oh man, taking down a gunship with a WH never gets old :]

anyway! are there any other health packs for the WH's on Omega Factory other than the one that's under the bridge in the middle? and how is the new map, never bought the newest pack, considering getting it.

dralla said:

anyway! are there any other health packs for the WH's on Omega Factory other than the one that's under the bridge in the middle? and how is the new map, never bought the newest pack, considering getting it.

There's one over each of the home bases, those huge buildings. Not sure if there are any more.

icechai

dralla said:

No idea how the newest pack is since no official servers really run the map much. Good point above this post, where the heck did the official US servers go? Haven't seen any large ones I can play on, been playing lots of French, Italian and other European servers though, thank goodness for the Europeans :)

*thanks Manky, got my Meritorious Medal, will play in a dogfight tomorrow to get the Aerial Achievement one

carlos

I just called Sony, and no, it seems that if one year passes and your sixaxis is damaged, you're out of luck :(

Quite a few people agreed with the guy who said that controllers had a lifetime warranty, so I had hoped for the best :/

Turns out they don't even have any options for repairing it, even with me covering the costs...that's pretty irresponsible of them for something that's quite expensive.

I even tried to bring up the clause in the PS3 instruction manual that says "all playstation 3 accessories have a lifetime warranty"; why wouldn't the sixaxis qualify as an accessory? Oh well....

If I were a less scrupulous person, I'd try the old Walmart swap method....

Jaeyden

Well, I'm back from my LBP coma. Played some WH last night and what do you know my first game back I'm greeted by markjay screaming bloody murder all over the place in a zones game. Anyway, I'm still in GAFT will someone please send me an invite back to GAF.

AndyD

aka andydumi
carlos said:
I just called Sony, and no, it seems that if one year passes and your sixaxis is damaged, you're out of luck :(

Quite a few people agreed with the guy who said that controllers had a lifetime warranty, so I had hoped for the best :/

Turns out they don't even have any options for repairing it, even with me covering the costs...that's pretty irresponsible of them for something that's quite expensive.

I even tried to bring up the clause in the PS3 instruction manual that says "all playstation 3 accessories have a lifetime warranty"; why wouldn't the sixaxis qualify as an accessory? Oh well....

If I were a less scrupulous person, I'd try the old Walmart swap method....

It covers battery dying, but not damage. And the controllers are so cheap to manufacture that its easier for them to give you a new one. They dont fix them even under warranty, they simply send you a retail sealed new one and recycle the old one.

dralla

Here's a video I took from a few weeks back. 15 minutes and 340 megs of WH goodness
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=285GVH77

this isn't meant to be a 'show off mah l337 skillz vid30', just a game where I spent 90% in a WH. Why am I posting this than? because I used to be like a lot of people in here, only using WH's to get from point A to point B, but once you put some time into the pro-flight controls you will get better and have a lot more fun :] starts off a little slow though

carlos

I don't suffer from motion sickness, but the few times I've tried pro flight. I get very disoriented in a hurry :(
I have noticed that pro flighters have an advantage over me in close range flight, but I can usually even it out with my close range hover moves/taking advantage of the environment....

Anyway, I don't really care for trophies, but I figure if I can't get the clan leadership one now, I might never get another chance; so if someone can add me to the list so I can eventually get GAFT control, then give it to someone else, that would be swell...

As for the sixaxis situation, at least mine is usable if there's an option for directional pad instead of analog control. But I guess I'll have to bite the bullet sometime and get a new one :(

User 406

Banned
According to this guy, it's fixed. You can try it out yourself, just play a bunch of games in Warhawk with the headset, then use the in-game XMB to go to the Accessory Settings and see if the microphone bar moves when you speak. If it does, the problem is gone. I'm planning to try it tomorrow. And Jaeyden, I'll invite you back when I do.

User 406

Banned
Looks like the BT headset problem is fixed! \o/

Just played a half dozen games and it worked fine all the way through, everyone was chattering away like the old days. XD

dralla, watched your video, you've got a nice capture rig. Can you take full HD resolution screenshots? If so, I'd like to enlist your help in getting a clean map of the aforementioned awesome Vaporfield Glacier. :)

So I've never set up my headset with Warhawk. Anyone have a quick tutorial? I only want to talk to my team, of course. I assume that's the way it works?

icechai

devildog820 said:
So I've never set up my headset with Warhawk. Anyone have a quick tutorial? I only want to talk to my team, of course. I assume that's the way it works?

just set up with the ps3 in audio device settings and you can set warhawk to have it on all the time or button press (L3). If you turn on your headset while in a game you will hear the beeping of successfully connected, at least for me :p

Glad to hear they fixed the headset. I can stop screaming at my Eyetoy now and resume screaming into my headset. :lol

Man I hate it when someone on the enemy team turns into an ankle biter. Constantly dogging your heels.

Also hate when I'm the only person taking to the air, and I hate the air. >:|

dwin45

I just played for about an hour but it didn't record any of my stats. How do I know if I'm playing in a ranked game or not? I just chose to filter the game by "Official" servers. I would think that those would be ranked. Also, what does it mean when I look at a list of games and they have red or green dots next to them? How come some games are in a green font? Sorry for all the questions :lol

dwin45 said:
I just played for about an hour but it didn't record any of my stats. How do I know if I'm playing in a ranked game or not? I just chose to filter the game by "Official" servers. I would think that those would be ranked. Also, what does it mean when I look at a list of games and they have red or green dots next to them? How come some games are in a green font? Sorry for all the questions :lol

1. Ranked games display a little trophy icon next to the server name. Don't get them confused with the PS3 Trophies (Achievements). The icon just means your stats will be recorded.

2. Yes, all official servers (blue and green servers, see below) are ranked. Sometimes, however, stats for a few matches will be forever lost in the abyss. If they aren't updated by tomorrow, I'm afraid they're gone. :(

3. Red dots mean that you cannot join the server for any number of reasons, including: game is full, current match uses an expansion that you do not have, and more. Yellow dots mean that you can join the server, though there is a match in the rotation that you do not have the expansion for. You will be booted out of the server when that game comes up. (This doesn't adversely affect your stats in any way, it just sends you back to the main screen.)

4. Green font, I believe, labels Rookie servers.

dwin45

So stats don't update immediately and sometimes not at all? what a shame. My last question (at least for now) is what is the difference between Global and IAR on the Awards page?

dwin45 said:
So stats don't update immediately and sometimes not at all? what a shame. My last question (at least for now) is what is the difference between Global and IAR on the Awards page?
I've never seen any of my stats get dropped, and it doesn't take that long for them to update, usually less than an hour after any game I'd say. Play a couple more matches and check again.

Global are your profile's cumulative stats, and IAR stands for In A Round which is self-explanatory. If an award has both requirements, you have to get the global one first and then the IAR one to receive the award.

Top Bottom