• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

^ Well, that pretty much confirms a European release at least, huh. With that hopefully comes a NA release too.

I believe that when this was initially announced, both EU and NA releases were confirmed.

Just nothing about pricing, retail or digital, release dates, etc.

Not even close, but it made for a good 3DS launch title. Although it's the only musou on 3DS (in English) anyway, unless you want to count Senran Kagura Burst.

Valkerionseven, this version of the game is basically Samurai Warriors 3, but with an added strategy element in that you control up to four characters at the same time, switching between them using the touch screen. You mainly play as a generic male or female "CAW", which I was not a big fan of.

It really is the best handheld warriors game, bar none.

Yawnier

Banned
I believe that when this was initially announced, both EU and NA releases were confirmed.

Wow lol, I somehow missed that. Thanks.

$40 pricetag to keep in with XL tradition, me thinks. It wouldn't shock me if it was $50 - $60 though, especially for the PS4 version.

Fandangox

Not even close, but it made for a good 3DS launch title. Although it's the only musou on 3DS (in English) anyway, unless you want to count Senran Kagura Burst.

Valkerionseven, this version of the game is basically Samurai Warriors 3, but with an added strategy element in that you control up to four characters at the same time, switching between them using the touch screen. You mainly play as a generic male or female "CAW", which I was not a big fan of.

So its basically the same campaigns as 3? Are Aya and Masanori fully playable or just models with generic moveset? What else is different?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So its basically the same campaigns as 3? Are Aya and Masanori fully playable or just models with generic moveset? What else is different?

I haven't played the game in over two years (stopped fairly quickly...I prefer the more traditional musou games), so my memory is a little hazy, but IIRC it reuses maps from SW3, but with different missions. Having up to four controllable characters at once on the map (you switch between them with the touch screen) really changes things up and can make things challenging. You have to play as the CAW in every level, but as you level up and get friendship levels up, you can unlock other characters' play styles. I can't remember if there's any way to just play as the regular characters.

The game, visually, is also kind of weak (in-game doesn't look that much better than PSP) and the framerate could be better. Koei really stepped up their efforts on the Vita last year and their games blow away all the previous portable musou games, however all of those titles are currently import-only.

Josephl64

I can see how you'd say that...

...if you didn't play any of the awesome Koei Japanese Vita releases from 2013.

I would agree with him if he means anything under the "Samurai Warriors" and "Dynasty Warriors" series...because Next was absolutely horrible

Lyte Edge

I would agree with him if he means anything under the "Samurai Warriors" and "Dynasty Warriors" series...because Next was absolutely horrible

Notice I said "2013." ;)

That was One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2, Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate, and Shin Gundam Musou. All awesome, awesome Vita ports. Shin Sangoku Musou 7+XL unfortunately suffers from some awful framerate problems.

Sengoku Musou 4 comes out next month. I plan on double-dipping and getting that on PS3 and Vita. Hope it doesn't turn out like Shin Sangoku Musou did on Vita.

Shengar

Muahauhauhaha.

Japan likes their strategists and tacticians though. Xu Shu, Guo Jia, Lu Xun, Sima Yi all in the top 10. Wang Yuanji placed really high in the DW7 vote as well, so that's not very surprising either.
But the greatest of them all doesn't make to the top 10.
Japan hates bearded strategist it seems :<

Zhao_Yun

Notice I said "2013." ;)

That was One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2, Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate, and Shin Gundam Musou. All awesome, awesome Vita ports. Shin Sangoku Musou 7+XL unfortunately suffers from some awful framerate problems.

Sengoku Musou 4 comes out next month. I plan on double-dipping and getting that on PS3 and Vita. Hope it doesn't turn out like Shin Sangoku Musou did on Vita.

A recent patch improved the framerate of the SSM7 Vita Version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EkfOy-KcxU

Lyte Edge

A recent patch improved the framerate of the SSM7 Vita Version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EkfOy-KcxU

I know, I have the game. It still has framerate problems after the patch. The port quality is disappointing compared to the other games Koei has put out on the Vita. Even Shin Gundam Musou, which Omega Force didn't make, turned out awesome and has a very stable framerate.

SSM7XL Vita isn't crap -everything from the console version is there- but it's hard for me to recommend it because of its performance issues. Anyone interested in it should be aware of the framerate problems and low quality audio.

I can't decide if i want it on Vita or on PS4 more

#FirstWorldProblems

PS4, no contest. You can always do remote play to Vita with it anyway.

TheContact

I never thought these games were well polished but they always did provide a good level of entertainment, I remember playing the hell out of the PSP version on the go

I know, I have the game. It still has framerate problems after the patch. The port quality is disappointing compared to the other games Koei has put out on the Vita. Even Shin Gundam Musou, which Omega Force didn't make, turned out awesome and has a very stable framerate.

SSM7XL Vita isn't crap -everything from the console version is there- but it's hard for me to recommend it because of its performance issues. Anyone interested in it should be aware of the framerate problems and low quality audio.

So I assume the Vita catches on fire during the Battle of Chibi or any stage on fire?

Xater

What are the chances that we get Sengoku Musou 4 for PS4 as well? I prefer that series to DW. Also count me in the camp that would rather play SB4 but fuck Capcom for not localizing it.

Lyte Edge

So I assume the Vita catches on fire during the Battle of Chibi or any stage on fire?

I haven't even gotten that far on the Vita version to see how that stage plays, TBH. That's how much the framerate bothered me. I booted it up last night and was messing around in free mode, and it still was unstable and all over the place in portions of the stage I was playing. Definitely better than before, post-patch, but still an issue.

Lyte Edge

Xater said:
What are the chances that we get Sengoku Musou 4 for PS4 as well? I prefer that series to DW.

This is Tecmo-Koei, so there's a pretty good chance- they're re-release and port-happy. My guess is that they are going to follow the Dynasty Warriors route and we will see a Sengoku Musou 4+XL release in eight months to a year on PS4.

Also count me in the camp that would rather play SB4 but fuck Capcom for not localizing it.

Well, it's not like they didn't give it another try with SB3. Guess it must have sold that badly over here.

This is Tecmo-Koei, so there's a pretty good chance- they're re-release and port-happy. My guess is that they are going to follow the Dynasty Warriors route and we will see a Sengoku Musou 4+XL release in eight months to a year on PS4.

Well, it's not like they didn't give it another try with SB3. Guess it must have sold that badly over here.

would have helped if they actually advertised it.

Revan

Is WR3:U coming to North America (vita) - I know it was released in Japan last year but I haven't heard anything about an NA release....

I'd really really like to have it in NA...

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so dynasty warriors 8 /extreme legends on ps4 is coming out this year in eu/na what happens to the dlc on ps4 will that be on it aswell ?

Lyte Edge

Is WR3:U coming to North America (vita) - I know it was released in Japan last year but I haven't heard anything about an NA release....

I'd really really like to have it in NA...

There was a tweet saying "maybe Summer 2014" for a release, but nothing official yet. I've pretty much given up on buying these games domestically. They take way too damn long to even announce localized releases.

so dynasty warriors 8 /extreme legends on ps4 is coming out this year in eu/na what happens to the dlc on ps4 will that be on it aswell ?

AFAIK all the DLC should be there and the same DLC works on PS3/PS4/Vita. The game is cross-save on all platforms, too.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
AFAIK all the DLC should be there and the same DLC works on PS3/PS4/Vita. The game is cross-save on all platforms, too.

your telling me my ps3 saves will work on ps4 holy shit awesome

Xater

Their expectations for the title were also ridiculous. Not to forget that they probably spent way too much money on the inferior English voice acting. Meanwhile TK is able to continue bringing Musou titles over.

Velcro Fly

As a Vita owner and Dynasty Warriors fan, getting DW8 day one is a no brainer for me. I've played DW3-5 on the PS2 quite a bit but never bought a PS3/360 so I haven't played a DW game in a while other than Next on the Vita. I know DW8 has a ton of DLC so I was just wondering how much of it was worthwhile and how much was worthless. I'm interested only in knowing if the weapons and/or extra stages are worth it or not.

Sora_N

I couldn't really confirm this, but does anyone know if the PS4 and/or Vita versions of DW8 have only the DW8XL (PS3) trophies?

cwistofu

How will MixJoy work if I have a digital copy of DW8 and a disc copy of 8XL?

Alternatively, if I buy 8XL digitally as well, does that mean I will need to have both games installed on my PS3 for the full game (aka ~40GB installed total)?

Playing DW Next on Vita and aside the annoying touch mechanics it's crazy good. Played just 3 stages and it seems that each character has its own move list; bye bye crappy shared weapon move sets and welcome single bar musou attack. Jesus christ you cannot believe how much I missed you.

Give it a try everyone, it's on EU PS+.

Noi

Besides the lack of advertisement period, they really should have waited and localized Utage instead of vanilla SB3. I'm sure there were a couple of lost sales from fans who knew they'd do a SB2Heroes-esque followup, specially with the abundance of Playable Characters-turned-NPCs in 3.

TreIII

Besides the lack of advertisement period, they really should have waited and localized Utage instead of vanilla SB3. I'm sure there were a couple of lost sales from fans who knew they'd do a SB2Heroes-esque followup, specially with the abundance of Playable Characters-turned-NPCs in 3.
I don't think that would've worked out well for them, either. Utage was a great game, but let's face it: the game only had like 7 characters with story modes, while everybody else had to make do with Free, Conquest and Japan Games modes. Utage, being an expansion, pretty much expected that you had played through SB3 to get the most out of Utage.

To me, the ideal solution should've been to wait and translate both games as part of a Double Pack, so that players would've had access to both games and as much of the overall content, as possible. But Capcom wasn't likely going to give Kobayashi that much financial backing, anyway.

Anyway, I agree with Lyte Edge on this notion: it really doesn't pay to hope and wait for localization for these games. Capcom will likely never localize a BASARA game ever again, and now-a-days, Koei takes way too long to do so, if they even bother to. I tried to wait for WO3U, but at this point, it's already too late, with Sengoku Musou 4 coming next month and Zelda Musou likely soon after that.

Playing DW Next on Vita and aside the annoying touch mechanics it's crazy good. Played just 3 stages and it seems that each character has its own move list; bye bye crappy shared weapon move sets and welcome single bar musou attack. Jesus christ you cannot believe how much I missed you.

Give it a try everyone, it's on EU PS+.

DW Next still has some cloned movesets (like Cao Cao/ Sun Jian/ Sima Zhao or Cao Pi/ Liu Bei/ Lu Xun), since it's based on DW7. For DW8 they completely decloned every character.

Noi

Finally.

JBlo056.png

got dw8 a cpl days ago and havent opened it yet. for those who've played it (bought every release since dw3) any tips or things i should keep track of?

Tabby

got dw8 a cpl days ago and havent opened it yet. for those who've played it (bought every release since dw3) any tips or things i should keep track of?

There's requirements you need to fulfil for some stages in order to unlock the hypothetical route midway through a kingdom's story.
Sometimes you'll need to replay a stage to fulfil a requirements but sometimes you can do it on your first playthrough of a stage, try to fulfil the requirements first time.
You'll have to look on the internet what those requirements are, I don't know what they are.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's requirements you need to fulfil for some stages in order to unlock the hypothetical route midway through a kingdom's story.
Sometimes you'll need to replay a stage to fulfil a requirements but sometimes you can do it on your first playthrough of a stage, try to fulfil the requirements first time.
You'll have to look on the internet what those requirements are, I don't know what they are.

They'll tell you after you completely beat one of the storylines, though, but often the conditions are vague enough that you'll still need help. The idea though is to do the historical first, but you can do either.

I've gotten all the hypothetical routes if you need any advice too.

cwistofu

How will MixJoy work if I have a digital copy of DW8 and a disc copy of 8XL?

Alternatively, if I buy 8XL digitally as well, does that mean I will need to have both games installed on my PS3 for the full game (aka ~40GB installed total)?

Bueller?

Yawnier

Banned
There is four or so new gameplay videos of Samurai Warriors 4 that released a couple of days ago out there highlighting a few select characters, so long as you were a fan of DW8 gameplay/combat it's looking pretty good I think.

But the greatest of them all doesn't make to the top 10.
Japan hates bearded strategist it seems :<

Zhuge Liang? :p

before i pop in the game. does Zhou Tai still massacre things with finesse with a katana, does he have the shredder costume, or is he back to his weird emu walk with a lanky saber stance ala dw6? (game got accidentally taken from me by brother)

Top Bottom