• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Sora_N

Bought Samurai Warrirs 3 for $6. Couldn't say no at that price. Perfect timing for me. Can't afford DW8XL yet anyway.

I only briefly played SW1 back in the day so no idea what to expect. I hate using the wiimote so gotta find my classic controller. The wiimote controls suck so far.

Velikost

http://gematsu.com/2014/03/dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends-coming-pc

If this was based on the ps4 version and came out in the west, I'd get it. However, I got a feeling it will be based on the ps3 version and only come out in Japan.

Yeah, I was a little bummed when I saw PC got announced the same day I pre-ordered, but I don't think it'll be based off the PS4 version either, so I can take solace in that.

I really wish Koei would put their PC stuff on Steam though; I'd love to have a copy of DW4 Hyper in my library.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My question is how likely is SW4 to be localized and put on PS4?

Localized? No idea. But a PS4 port seems pretty likely. My guess is it will be just like DW8XL and that we'll see SW4XL released for the PS4 in Japan towards the end of this year.

DW8 is $20 at gamefly at the moment. Its used but gamefly games tend to be like new in my experience. The disc may vary in quality but the box and inserts are all kept in new condition.

Probably going to grab it myself if I can get an extra $2 on my cash card... damn tax lol.

Warning post again on the Vita version of DW8XL- expect bad framerates.

Is it really that BAD? I remember some folks saying a musuo game has some pretty serious framerate problem. Was it this one or D7XL. I am hyped for this for my vita but I can wait and go for Samurai Warriors if it is better.

fedexpeon

Banned
DW8: XL has Empires mode right?
I haven't buy DW8 for PS3 yet when I heard the announcement for the PS4 version, but I usually only buy DW if it has Empires in it now since the main series are the same old same old.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I have DW8XL pre ordered for PS4 and I don't have a PS4 yet :x

Gonna try and get one in the coming months.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
DW8: XL has Empires mode right?
I haven't buy DW8 for PS3 yet when I heard the announcement for the PS4 version, but I usually only buy DW if it has Empires in it now since the main series are the same old same old.

No, that'd be Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires. Considering 7 Empires didn't release until 2 years after Dynasty Warriors 7 (a year and a half between 6 and 6 Empires), I'd say you have a bit to wait.

8 is supposed to be really good though. You might be misssing ooout

Lyte Edge

Is it really that BAD? I remember some folks saying a musuo game has some pretty serious framerate problem. Was it this one or D7XL. I am hyped for this for my vita but I can wait and go for Samurai Warriors if it is better.

It can get that bad, yeah. None of the other musou games on Vita have this problem. The amount of framerate problems that occur depend on the stage and area within the stage. Is it playable? Sure. But unless you HAVE to have this game on the go, get it on PS3 or PS4. All I have for recording is an iPhone, but I wonder if it's worth posting footage of the Vita port's issues. (And yes, I have downloaded the patches- they helped, but it's still bad...don't be fooled by videos of the challenge mode showing improvements; it's the regular game maps that have problems.)

I hate that this is what's getting localized -I expect the game to get ripped apart in reviews (more so than the usual mindless musou putdowns) because of these issues- but the excellent Vita ports of One Piece KM2, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and Shin Gundam Musou are not.

I am importing Samurai Warriors 4 on both PS3 and Vita and hope to have them this week. Hoping the Vita version is good. If it has the same issues as DW8XL, I'm done buying these games at launch on Vita. Although to note, Gundam's framerate is awesome and it came out after DW8XL did.

Well maybe instead I could just toss in XL info into the DW8 OT, give a new shiny title and toss it back out into the main thread. I'll only have to make one section and saves me from making a new banner too.

yeah do it this way, as most info will still be relevant. Just add the new platforms for the new version and a small "whats new" section.

It can get that bad, yeah. None of the other musou games on Vita have this problem. The amount of framerate problems that occur depend on the stage and area within the stage. Is it playable? Sure. But unless you HAVE to have this game on the go, get it on PS3 or PS4. All I have for recording is an iPhone, but I wonder if it's worth posting footage of the Vita port's issues. (And yes, I have downloaded the patches- they helped, but it's still bad...don't be fooled by videos of the challenge mode showing improvements; it's the regular game maps that have problems.).

Wow I had no idea it was that bad. I've heard that the frame rate issues were patched up, but apparently not. I might just pass on the Vita version and get it for PS3 instead.

So what does the warriors community thread think of hyrule warriors

i have no interest in Zelda lore so it's not for me. But i do like that they are able to sell the genre to notable brand managers like Nintendo.

Fist of the North Star -Warriors are my favourite games of the genre and i wish to see even more existing brands take up the Warriors genre :D

Lyte Edge

Interested, but need to see more. Would not buy a Wii U for it.

Wow I had no idea it was that bad. I've heard that the frame rate issues were patched up, but apparently not. I might just pass on the Vita version and get it for PS3 instead.

I'm hoping they've worked on improving it for the U.S. release, but am not expecting that to happen.

Was gonna preorder DW8XL for Vita but I guess I'll wait for impressions and a price drop then =/

I guess the new engine they used for DW8 has not been optimised well for Vita then, sigh...

And I'm kind of excited for Hyrule Warriors, hope they add a load of combos for each characters...which will likely have a limited cast tbh

Ok, I guess I'll do something like that over this weekend. Too busy playing Atelier Escha & Logy during the week. :p

It'll bomb terribly

Was never a big fan of the Zelda world so no real interest in it.

It probably is going to bomb though unless the Zelda brand-name being attached/associated to it is able to carry it on that alone.
It'll bomb in Japan that's guaranteed... don't think Zelda has done well in Japan for a longwhile.
And then Warriors association to the west...

TreIII

Easily the most interested I've been in a Koei game since Hokuto Musou. I'm hoping that with SM4 coming out this week and the new fiscal year starting next month, we'll see them start hyping it more.

It'll bomb in Japan that's guaranteed... don't think Zelda has done well in Japan for a longwhile.

It may not be up to the levels Zelda was doing back in the DS era, but even so, ALBW did quite well for itself over in Japan. It outsold OoT3D and sold through about 97% of its original shipment in two weeks at 297K+.

So I don't think Japan hates Zelda, it just may take the "right" product to reel them in a a matter that hasn't been done since Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. And well, since Koei is taking over the publishing duties for Zelda Musou in Japan, that's their job to market the game as much as possible and see if their product can do that.

If anything, I would say the biggest hurdle is the fact that the game is on the Wii U itself. But Koei will never get a better chance to try and build a following on the Wii U, than with a game that's a guaranteed exclusive and won't end up on the PS3/4 6-12 months later.

Yawnier

Banned

That is what I mean. There is some doubt out there that the Zelda series has the selling power that it used to have 10 - 15 years ago (i.e. Skyward Sword sales compared to past mainline Zelda games). We know that the Warriors series has a sizable fanbase in Japan (on PlayStation platforms of course) but that is not necessarily the case in NA/Europe, and to be honest I think we are sort of lucky to keep on getting the warriors games that we do get localized by TK. Plus, it is on the Wii U which in itself has a small install base that isn't growing at an exponential rate either and whether or not there are many Warriors fans who own a Wii U worldwide and who have any interest in this game is up in the air.

This game is going to have to rely on new people to the Warriors series who will check it out based on the established Zelda name alone in order for it to have any shot at having decent sales and not bomb to hell and back, without a doubt in my mind. I'm cautiously optimistic about the game myself, Omega Force's last whatever games since DW7 and onwards have been pretty good and are among the best in quality they have ever developed but I have serious doubts it will do any impressive numbers on the sales charts.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Thanks for the reply guys, I've been wanting to get warrior's orochi 3 hyper on the wiiU eshop but freaking tecmo stlll has the game for 60 bucks for some ungodly reason.

Thanks for the reply guys, I've been wanting to get warrior's orochi 3 hyper on the wiiU eshop but freaking tecmo stlll has the game for 60 bucks for some ungodly reason.

even though i love the series i cannot understand how these keep selling at full priced titles in the west. Wouldn't it make more sense for example to sell the DW8XL "port" for say 40$ to gain a better foothold on the new platforms?

(bought WO3 on the PS3 for 15$ on the last sale)

Yawnier

Banned
even though i love the series i cannot understand how these keep selling at full priced titles in the west. Wouldn't it make more sense for example to sell the DW8XL "port" for say 40$ to gain a better foothold on the new platforms?

(bought WO3 on the PS3 for 15$ on the last sale)

I would agree but Koei is just gonna Koei (other publishers have had luck selling their mid tier games at lower price ranges of $40/$50) plus early PS4 adopters are starving for games for their brand new console. Those who have never played a DW game before may be more inclined try out the PS4 version of DW8XL because they don't have all that much to play on said new console, even if it is a full priced enhanced port of a PS3 Musou game.

Looking forward to your impressions on the game and the difference to Vita and PS3. Really hoping for the announcement that it's coming to the west soon.

Lyte Edge

Want to play it so bad, but I'm moving tomorrow and need to finish packing. ;_;

I did test the game briefly on Vita and can happily confirm that the framerate, sound, and overall visuals are better than the Vita DW8XL's. Game play seemed nice and smooth. Was also surprised that X is still jump and that all that dashing in videos is from the triangle button!

Looks like the game is comprised of story scenarios with multiple characters like DW8. Most of the cast is also locked from the start, boo-hiss. I know that's typical but I've been spoiled by XL and Ultimate editions as of late!

It might this summer.
I hope so lol, being in the UK/EU I've played Samurai Warriors 3 on the Wii in 50hz... T-T so there's a reason I wanna play 4 more. Chronicles kind of helped at least XD.

Sounding like its a good initial impression, hope they'll bring over the Vita version as well. Hopely the the western version of DW8XL on Vita has improved performance wise than post-patch version as well.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So do you think Warriors Orochi 3/Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate will ever get released outside of Japan?

Gonna be super sad if WO3U doesn't make it here. I want that version so bad.

Well, there's... there's always... Warriors Orochi 4?

Pretty much they'll more likely make a Warriors Orochi 4 more than releasing/localising Warriors Orochi 3/Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate out of Japan, Given the amount of changes to characters weapon/movesets from DW8 and SW4 as well as the newer characters introduced from them.

Although I have no idea what kind of story they'll try to justify for WO4 what with in 3's true ending:
Everybody goes back to their original time line and forgets their fights against Orochi.

Tabby

Warriors Orochi 4 = Samurai Warriors + Dynasty Warriors + Hyrule Warriors + Gundam Warriors.
Why the hell not?

RalchAC

I've played DW Next and I've found I quite like those games. Before I think my only relationship with musou games was playing some Empires mode with a friend at his home.

How does DW8 works on Vita post-patch? Anybody imported it and has a quick impresion?

Mecha

I hope Sengoku Musou 4 is decent, I played DW8 for a few days with my friend a while back and I didn't like it at all. I hope Sengoku Basara didn't ruin musou games for me.

Pretty much they'll more likely make a Warriors Orochi 4 more than releasing/localising Warriors Orochi 3/Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate out of Japan, Given the amount of changes to characters weapon/movesets from DW8 and SW4 as well as the newer characters introduced from them.

Although I have no idea what kind of story they'll try to justify for WO4 what with in 3's true ending:
Everybody goes back to their original time line and forgets their fights against Orochi.

I think the problem with WO3U is that the good time frame for releasing it pretty much already went and past. It would have been good to release it in between the time of DW8 and DW8XL/CE but alas they didn't. (Probably to ramp up localization on Sengoku Musou 4, right? right?)

Well for WO3U they added in the backstory of how Orochi came to be, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do some more past stuff. Or say hell to their canon and make it up as they go.

I hope Sengoku Musou 4 is decent, I played DW8 for a few days with my friend a while back and I didn't like it at all. I hope Sengoku Basara didn't ruin musou games for me.

Definitely ruined it for me. Just isn't as satisfying playing DW8 knowing that I can execute all those fun combos in Basara instead. I wish Basara had higher enemy density and better enemy lock-on though. Sometimes I feel like I'm sliding away from enemies when hitting them.

I think the problem with WO3U is that the good time frame for releasing it pretty much already went and past. It would have been good to release it in between the time of DW8 and DW8XL/CE but alas they didn't. (Probably to ramp up localization on Sengoku Musou 4, right? right?)

Well for WO3U they added in the backstory of how Orochi came to be, so it wouldn't surprise me if they do some more past stuff. Or say hell to their canon and make it up as they go.

Yep the time frame is pretty much gone for the localisation XD, they better be doing Sengoku Musou 4.

I'm betting they make it up as they go, in fact probably copy Final Fantasy Dissidia route for WO4
it's just a repeating cycle
. In fact they could retread WO3 travel back in time thing again =P

Definitely ruined it for me. Just isn't as satisfying playing DW8 knowing that I can execute all those fun combos in Basara instead. I wish Basara had higher enemy density and better enemy lock-on though. Sometimes I feel like I'm sliding away from enemies when hitting them.

One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 did that to me XD with the ease of continuing a combo by moving your character to other enemies XD

I dunno, I like how controlled the DW (and WO) games are. They are more simple compared to BASARA or Sengoku Musou but that's what I like about them.

And the camera doesn't spaz into a mess like how it likes to do in BASARA so that's a plus for DW for me.

Top Bottom