• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
FINALLY got to spend a little time with Sengoku Musou 4 after several days of packing/moving/unpacking. I was wrong about triangle attacks being completely replaced by the dash attacks-- what they've done is make it so that you get two different attack points to start from, each with its own branching chain attack paths (so regular attacks/combos starting with square, then dashing attacks starting with triangle).

The game allows you two pick characters and swap between them at any time. The difference between this and Musou Orochi is that your partner is on the battlefield with you and will be off doing his/her own thing, similar to the Chronicles games on the 3DS. You can stop the game play at any time and pull up a mini map that allows you to command your partner to target a specific point/general on the map.

Sengoku Musou 4 is hands-down the best-looking PS3 musou game yet. It's bright, colorful, and has the most detailed character models and stages yet. The framerate stutters here and there, but is otherwise pretty stable on both the PS3 and Vita. Both games offer the now-stand cross-save option, and now include an option to auto-upload saves to the cloud.

I've only tried the main story mode so far and picked Takeda Shingen's path. You get six characters to select from the start (went with Sanada Yukimura's big brother, Noboyuki, with Kunoichi as back up) and four stages for this scenario were shown. Can't wait to play more!

sensui-tomo

so here is the main question, does SW4 run better on the vita than WO3U or DW8 complete?
also are there any CaW only movesets?

Lyte Edge

so here is the main question, does SW4 run better on the vita than WO3U or DW8 complete?

The frame rate has been great on the Vita version and the visuals are a step up, too. It trumps DW8XL and is on par with WO3U, if not better.

Not sure about the CAW stuff. Haven't messed with that yet.

I heard the two MC only movesets in Samurai Warriors Chronicles are in CAW mode, and the two player characters are the default looks for CAW's:

1704755-1a.jpg

EDIT: Yep, look at this video, in the very beginning you can see they rep caws with those two MC's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGymJI5KDtw

and you can see the two weapons (and the sword, spear and nagianta movesets that are also CAW and generic enemy only) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGymJI5KDtw&t=5m35s

sensui-tomo

The frame rate has been great on the Vita version and the visuals are a step up, too. It trumps DW8XL and is on par with WO3U, if not better.

Not sure about the CAW stuff. Haven't messed with that yet.

I heard the two MC only movesets in Samurai Warriors Chronicles are in CAW mode, and the two player characters are the default looks for CAW's:

EDIT: Yep, look at this video, in the very beginning you can see they rep caws with those two MC's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGymJI5KDtw

and you can see the two weapons (and the sword, spear and nagianta movesets that are also CAW and generic enemy only) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGymJI5KDtw&t=5m35s
thanks for the info, (hopefully they will bring this over here on the vita since that will always be a fun distraction) and to make sure, this game has every SW character right? including those guys from that samurai chronicles 2 game that was never localized. if so i hope they can release it soon(like september/october timeframe)

Lyte Edge

Yup; everyone's there. This is already at the top of my list as one of Omega Force's best games.

Kennyo Honjanji Am Cry

It really does have basically everyone else except Kennyo, who never became playable, but only was a unique npc and only in Magoichi's story in SW1. You can even recreate the player characters from SWC complete with their unique movesets, now that's thorough.

Well, there is ONE character missing, but he can be recreated because he, for the most part, just used the generic CAW Katana moveset. SW3 Wii's Takamaru, a Nintendo classic character remade:

Lyte Edge

I don't count Takamaru since he's essentially a guest character, from a forgotten Famicom game! :)

Have they been implemented into the triangle dashing attack strings as square combo enders or are they gone entirely?

I think it depends on the character on what happened to their old C1.

I don't remember seeing any videos (so far) of their old C1 being the finisher for their godspeed combo though for some that might be hard to do like Yukimura's.

I know Nobunaga's old C1 was shown in a screenshot so it might have become his new air charge?

TreIII

Have they been implemented into the triangle dashing attack strings as square combo enders or are they gone entirely?

I think it depends on the character on what happened to their old C1.

I don't remember seeing any videos (so far) of their old C1 being the finisher for their godspeed combo though for some that might be hard to do like Yukimura's.

I know Nobunaga's old C1 was shown in a screenshot so it might have become his new air charge?

This is what I'd like to know too. My copy won't be here until tomorrow or Wednesday, so I'll have to wait that much longer to see if I truly can't "Roll Out" with Kotaro anymore.

This is what I'd like to know too. My copy won't be here until tomorrow or Wednesday, so I'll have to wait that much longer to see if I truly can't "Roll Out" with Kotaro anymore.
It would have been nice if they did something like Triangle = Godspeed combo starter while L1+Triangle = C1, but I don't see them implementing something like that. I just hope we didn't entirely lose some of the cooler / more useful C1s due to the new system.

Lyte Edge

I can't even remember what some of those old C1's even are. @_@

One other thing that's new are finishers- do a certain string and you get a more cinematc "kill" animation.

TreIII

戦国無双4 / Sengoku Musou 4 - walkthrough - Kotaro Fuma gameplay

Gameplay footage, haven't watched it entirely but do you like the new charge 1 rush moves or still would want rolling?
It actually looks like a modified version of Fuuma's old C1 roll has some place within his Shinsoku String enders.

If that's what they do for some of the other characters who also had good C1s, it won't hurt as much. The notion that there's also a fairly common weapon element that takes away the "Officers will repel Shinsoku" aspect makes it even better.

Lyte Edge

Is there a good translation guide for weapon elements already up somewhere? Would definitely save some time.

One other thing that's new are finishers- do a certain string and you get a more cinematc "kill" animation.

OK, it's not a combo- just stun an enemy and you can do the finisher.

Finished up the Shingen Takeda/Super Sanada Bros. route and got a weird ending. With just four stages per story, there's got to be something more than this. Not sure if I missed a key event somewhere or if you just need to have all the missions completed to unlock another level. I have a few missions missing in each stage that I need to go back and get through, but I think first I'll just go through all the stories and get everyone unlocked for the free mode.

Also been messing around with Ii Naotora. She is a BEAST. The complete opposite of the Sengoku Basara 4 version (who is slower and more power-based), but just awesome to play as in both games. Even the personalities are the exact opposites in both games.

So localization at the same time this gets released/some time afterwards?

I really do wonder if they are even going to add anything. Probably not if they aren't going to add a new subtitle to it.

That I don't know, but my personal theory is the fact this is releasing on PS4 makes a western release almost guaranteed. It also increases the likelyhood of Samurai Warriors 4 making it to PS4 in some form.

Warriors orochi 3 ultimate just got announced for ps4

I'll pick it up, if it has a better frame rate than the PS3 version else I'll stick with the PS3/Vita versions for now. As much as I like the game I don't need to own it several times! I felt a tad disappointed with the DW8 PS4 port so I'm being more cautious in this instance...

wow, pretty random :D probably wont buy it as i just cleared the PS3 version and am pretty content on my achievements there.

don't believe they can spruce up the visuals THAT much to warrant a new replay, will wait for Samurai Warriors 4 :D

Here's a link to back it up.

http://gematsu.com/2014/03/warriors-orochi-3-ultimate-coming-playstation-4

Due out in Japan on June 26 for 6,800 yen at retail and 6,000 yen via download, the PlayStation 4 version can display over 150 soldiers on screen, has improved graphics, lighting, and backgrounds, rebuilt effects, and is cross-save and cross-play compatible with the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita versions.

I don't think they'll be updating the movesets though. Honestly I still think the ideal is a new cross-over game or fourth Warriors Orochi game, but I believe they said they want to finish it with 3? Well whatever. I hope Samurai Warriors 4 gets an XL Complete Edition as well on the PS4.

Also Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete PS4 version hype.

Hmmm hope they update everyone to their new movesets but I doubt it.

I doubt it. They didn't it when they re-released it again on the PS3 for Ultimate (even up to DW7E's weapon set) and considering they are mentioning cross-save, that'll probably mess something up.

And it isn't getting a new subtitle like Ultimate Xtreme or whatever so it's probably just a gloss up up-port.

Lyte Edge

It's definitely just a straight port from the description. Guess re-re-releasing it (Special, Hyper, and Ultimate) was enough for them.

I believe they said they want to finish it with 3? Well whatever.

I'd love it if they ended the Orochi stuff with WO3 but kept the cross-over games going. Make a new story and enemies to fight, base the characters on their DW8 and SW4 versions, and go even crazier with the guest characters. I'd like to see a "DOA Musou" with the entire Dead Or Alive cast fighting hordes of DOATEC soldiers, since Ninja Gaiden never went that route.

I hope Samurai Warriors 4 gets an XL Complete Edition as well on the PS4.

Can't see this not happening. You just know it's coming, LOL.

sensui-tomo

warriors orochi 3 ultimate on the ps4, looks like its time to be ryu on a ps4, wondering if that ispchn post back when DOA got the ultimate outfits was in regards to this.

Via TK's European Twitter:

“@leechaolan26: @tecmokoeieurope Please don't forget we want Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate in english, please. :)” -- We never forget! :)

Hopefully this is a tease that we're finally getting this in the west. Maybe even on PS4 with announcement of an upgraded visual port for this system.

FINALLY got to spend a little time with Sengoku Musou 4 after several days of packing/moving/unpacking. I was wrong about triangle attacks being completely replaced by the dash attacks-- what they've done is make it so that you get two different attack points to start from, each with its own branching chain attack paths (so regular attacks/combos starting with square, then dashing attacks starting with triangle).

The game allows you two pick characters and swap between them at any time. The difference between this and Musou Orochi is that your partner is on the battlefield with you and will be off doing his/her own thing, similar to the Chronicles games on the 3DS. You can stop the game play at any time and pull up a mini map that allows you to command your partner to target a specific point/general on the map.

Sengoku Musou 4 is hands-down the best-looking PS3 musou game yet. It's bright, colorful, and has the most detailed character models and stages yet. The framerate stutters here and there, but is otherwise pretty stable on both the PS3 and Vita. Both games offer the now-stand cross-save option, and now include an option to auto-upload saves to the cloud.

I've only tried the main story mode so far and picked Takeda Shingen's path. You get six characters to select from the start (went with Sanada Yukimura's big brother, Noboyuki, with Kunoichi as back up) and four stages for this scenario were shown. Can't wait to play more!

Can you play Musashi Miyamoto at some point for me? Please tell me he's as badass as he was in SW2XL. Still probably no C5 from 2XL I bet, although if you could taste that'd be great. and if they changed his Musou at all, or added something to the end of it at least.

Lyte Edge

Cleared the Motonari Mori/Takakage Kobayakawa route. Same deal as the Shingen route, with four stages and an ending that seems to focus more on Kanbei and Hanbei than the other two. Now I'm doing the Motochika route and got Koshoushou unlocked. She's awesome.

Can you play Musashi Miyamoto at some point for me? Please tell me he's as badass as he was in SW2XL. Still probably no C5 from 2XL I bet, although if you could taste that'd be great. and if they changed his Musou at all, or added something to the end of it at least.

Sure, whenever he gets unlocked. I don't remember him from SW2 though. Haven't played that in years and barely played the XL pack.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That Nao video, my god. So tempted to pick this game up but I know as soon as I buy it, Koei will announce a western release.

Exactly lol. I am dying to play the game but I'm sure we'll get an announcement soon.

So far, it looks like Koei went out their way with this game. So much content, great story, gameplay has been refined etc, it looks amazing.

I envy the ones who already have it lol

TreIII

http://gematsu.com/2014/03/famitsus-wanted-issue-1321

I was pleasantly surprised to see Zelda Musou/Hyrule Warriors still holding strong at its Number 12 spot on "Famitsu's Most Wanted" section. Not bad, considering the competition and especially for a game that we haven't seen much of anything of since December.

Now that SW4 has been released, I'm willing to bet we may start seeing more from Koei in April.

Lyte Edge

Hows the Vita port? I get paid tomorrow and I'm very tempted to get it (along with Shin Gundam Musou for the Vita) if the ports are good.

I only have Shin Gundam Musou on Vita, so I'm not sure how it compares to the PS3 version (It may have some reduced or missing background detail), but it and Sengoku Musou 4 both run and play fantastically. Gundam has the best, most stable frame rate out of all the Vita musou games I've played, too. You definitely can't go wrong with either game.

Top Bottom