• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

How did I miss the ps4 announcement...
It was just announced on Tuesday when most English speaking fans were more focused on DW8XL's release. Ultimate releases on PS4 in Japan on June 26. As an upport of the Ultimate version, we aren't getting even more new characters / features this time. Just upscaled graphics and tons more characters on screen. It will support cross-save and cross-play with the already released PS3 and Vita versions. I really hope all 3 versions come out in English. There's a lot of nice upgrades over the vanilla version.

Recall

The most time I've ever spent with a musou game is just shy of 80 hours with Gundam 3 even if it was easier and less of a challenge than Gundam 2. Just something about it made me want to get the trophies or at least as many as I could.

Out of curiosity (and now I guess fear), here's what the save files say for how long I spent platinuming my recent Musou games.

DW7: 133:37
DW7XL: 151:23 (not sure if the DW7's time carries over)
WO3: 515:26:26 (I'm sure I left it idle alot. hopefully...)
DW7E: 76:36
DW8: 242:40 (let's say I left it idle a lot too...)

And I only just started DW8XL.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Out of curiosity (and now I guess fear), here's what the save files say for how long I spent platinuming my recent Musou games.

NkXGW.gif

Christ, and here I thought I was bad. :lol

What do you do all that time? The game has a lot of content, but I don't think I ever played a game nearly as long.

It became a test of my willpower, but I was determined to max out every bond, between every character. And beat every stage, incl. all DLC, on every difficulty level - the day Omega Force finally implements difficulty staking I'll be so happy), have every character with a maxed out custom ultimate weapon. But it really was the bond grinding that racked up the most time.

It should be pointed out that I played it on and off over the course of a year and a half.

ShinMaruku

It was just announced on Tuesday when most English speaking fans were more focused on DW8XL's release. Ultimate releases on PS4 in Japan on June 26. As an upport of the Ultimate version, we aren't getting even more new characters / features this time. Just upscaled graphics and tons more characters on screen. It will support cross-save and cross-play with the already released PS3 and Vita versions. I really hope all 3 versions come out in English. There's a lot of nice upgrades over the vanilla version.

Good to know thansk for the info. :)

Tabby

And I thought I was a big Warriors fan :(

Yawnier

Banned
DW8 is probably my favorite all in one musou package of the past generation because of the return of free mode and all the unique movesets yet I only put like 50 hours into it. Got sidetracked by a bunch of other games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It became a test of my willpower, but I was determined to max out every bond, between every character. And beat every stage, incl. all DLC, on every difficulty level - the day Omega Force finally implements difficulty staking I'll be so happy), have every character with a maxed out custom ultimate weapon. But it really was the bond grinding that racked up the most time.

It should be pointed out that I played it on and off over the course of a year and a half.

I kinda envy you. Sometimes I'd like to get so obsessed with one game. Would probably be cheaper, too.

This is my kind of thread. I love Dynasty Warriors so much, even though I keep skipping around titles. Dynasty Warriors 8 is tempting me to get a PS4 for the better version, although that might not happen for a long while. Also looking forward to Hyrule Warriors. I had better be able to play as Ganondorf.

So yeah, subscribing to this for real.

What do you do all that time? The game has a lot of content, but I don't think I ever played a game nearly as long.

I know I wasted a lot of time trying to get the rare right skills I wanted for everyone's weapons. And then leveling them to level 99.

And that was before I decided to tackle the Unknown difficulty trophy.

dakkumauji = Lord of Musou GAF.
Cept he cares of nothing of Hyrule Warriors XD

Why care about something I'll never probably play.

--------------------------------------------------

Here's something cool about Sengoku Musou 4 that most people aren't talking about: You get items that lets you use a character's special ability. Like Nene's shadow clones. On your CAW. So if you want to make a yandere with a gun and her clones dashing across the battlefield, have at it.

GrayFoxPL

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I know I'm late on the reply, but please, please, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE SECOND FIST OF THE NORTH STAR KEN'S RAGE GAME! It did not turn out very well. Just stick to the original.

Well, for those of you want it? I hope you guys end up enjoying SW4 more than I do. I imported it earlier this week, and so far, most of my qualms with the game echo Tetsuo9999's.

As far as Musou mechanics/gimmicks go, Shinsoku/Godspeed is what I consider to be a miss. A "better peon basher" that's nigh-useless against Officers makes it so that the newest, shiniest and (in some cases) only aspects that redeem some of these 8-10 year old movesets...doesn't really work used against the most worthwhile opposition in the game.

At most, I'm willing to give Omega Force props in that this might be a good foundation for what they may plan to do with future games. But coming off of the likes of BASARA 4, Gundam Musou 3 and One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2? SW4 just doesn't do as much for me as I was hoping for.

Ah, well. Onward to the likes of Kamen Rider Battride 2 and Zelda Musou.

Could not disagree with you more...totally love this game. Shinsoku works great for quickly building up meter/getting through large crowds and you can always use it on officers after a juggle or stun on them. I thought there was supposed to be an equippable gem type that allows for Shinsoku to break officer guarding, but I can't find anything on that.

How did I miss the ps4 announcement...

Yeah dude, Ultimate even rounds out the Ninja Gaiden cast by adding Rachel, Momiji (from Special and Hyper, respectively), and Kasumi as playable characters!

Samurai Warriors 4 seems to have introduced a silly new feature:

yup

Can't wait to get to this mode! XD But I want to finish all the story stuff first.

Shengar

Samurai Warriors 4 seems to have introduced a silly new feature:

yup
pls, Koei, pls
Are western memes even popular in Japan?

525c36e82787d.gif

HRose

Banned
Would you believe this is Warrior Orochi 2 on Playstation TWO? (running on emulator)

wo2.gif

Looks amazing and runs fine on my other ancient PC (Dualcore E8400, ATI 4850).

I spent some time digging the old games in the series to figure out what are considered the best games in the series. It seems it goes like this:

- Warriors Orochi 2
- Samurai Warriors 2/XL
- Dynasty Warriors 3/XL

The problem with the emulator is that disk swapping doesn't work, so you can't load the main game into XL. Anyone knows what features are missing?

In theory one could play the base game, then load just the savegame into XL and continue with XL content. Is there content that is actually unavailable unless you merge the two version or you still get everything if you first play all of the base and then move to XL?

wo2i.gif

Lyte Edge

How are you enjoying SW4 thusfar? Have you unlocked Musashi yet?

Totally loving it and am still making my way through the story mode. Went through the Nobunaga route last night. Was surprised that the last battle
has you playing as his enemies instead
. Haven't come across Mushashi yet.

Totally loving it and am still making my way through the story mode. Went through the Nobunaga route last night. Was surprised that the last battle

Ahh, I'm too scared to click that spoiler! Thank you so much for the update, lemme know whenever you get around to unlocking him ^^

Isn't Mushashi part of the whole vagrant story thing? He might appear in someone's story mode but I'm not sure as playable though.

Isn't Mushashi part of the whole vagrant story thing? He might appear in someone's story mode but I'm not sure as playable though.

I'm trying not to get spoiled, but something like this I wouldn't mind being spoiled about. lol.

Yes, he comes wayyy later in Sengoku era history, I understand that. I believe Sekigahara was his first massive battle he partook in. But if he was in the story mode somewhere, I would be really happy, I know for sure he's at least playable in free mode and probably mercenary.

\
He could possibly be in Yukimura's as Musashi's story in 2, Yukimura is still alive and fighting when Musashi gets to his second campaign.

Fandangox

Oh I heard about that, seemed like a neat change. Does anyone know what
Magoichi's
role in that stage is?

Lyte Edge

Oh I heard about that, seemed like a neat change. Does anyone know what
Magoichi's
role in that stage is?

Didn't use him. That stage is all about
Mitsuhide Akechi
and it doesn't really seem to matter who else you play as in regards to the story; everyone else is just there for support.

I feel kinda silly spoiling historical stuff, lol.

Fandangox

Didn't use him. That stage is all about
Mitsuhide Akechi
and it doesn't really seem to matter who else you play as in regards to the story; everyone else is just there for support.

I feel kinda silly spoiling historical stuff, lol.

Oh I see. Was curious about that cutscene where
Magoichi seemed to about to be executed
but don't know what Campaign story would that be.

And yeah I guess its a bit silly, mostly everyone in this thread would probably know about it lol.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is Ken's rage 2 taht bad?!
What about Warriors Orochi Hyper on Wii U? I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I was interested in Ken's rage 1 and other "themed" edition (as I will for Zelda Musou for example), while I kindy liked Basara 3 on Wii...
Any suggestions? Should I pick up one of those? Which one considering how the "license" is important to me?

Fandangox

I haven't played Ken's Rage II, but Warriors Orochi 3 is good on any Platform. At launch it had heavy framerate issues, but those were mostly fixed after a patch, only thing Wii U version doesn't have is the DLC from the old PS3/X360 versions I think, and it also has
some pop-in issues.

It plays great however, and splitscreen with touchpad/tv is fun. It has also some exclusive content (I think 2 characters and missions). A "fighting" mode where you can pick 3 characters to fight against other 3 in a traditional fighting game type of fight, with character cards used for special moves. Online is dead though, almost no one playing.

Jucksalbe

Banned
At launch it had heavy framerate issues, but those were mostly fixed after a patch, only thing Wii U version doesn't have is the DLC from the old PS3/X360 versions I think, and it also has some pop-in issues.

Did the PS3/360 version have even more DLC? Because there's already a huge amount of DLC for the WiiU version. I usually don't bother with the DLC for these games, there's just way too much.

Lyte Edge

Is Ken's rage 2 taht bad?!

Yes; avoid it and just stick with the original.

What about Warriors Orochi Hyper on Wii U? I'm not a huge fan of the series, but I was interested in Ken's rage 1 and other "themed" edition (as I will for Zelda Musou for example), while I kindy liked Basara 3 on Wii...
Any suggestions? Should I pick up one of those? Which one considering how the "license" is important to me?

As already said, you can't go wrong with Warriors Orochi. IIRC the Wii U version runs at half the framerate of the PS3/360 versions, but I haven't played it to confirm.

If you have a PS3, PS4, or Vita, I'd hold off and see if Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate gets localized this year. It has enough extra content to make it worth waiting for.

Lyte Edge

Back to Sengoku Musou 4- Keep getting my ass kicked on the second stage of the Kinki (Nagamasa) story route. The star rating isn't even that high, but it's populated by too many damn powerful officers. Almost beat it last night on the third attempt, then the CPU-controlled Nagamasa got himself killed before I could switch to him and heal. T_T

I haven't played Ken's Rage II, but Warriors Orochi 3 is good on any Platform. At launch it had heavy framerate issues, but those were mostly fixed after a patch, only thing Wii U version doesn't have is the DLC from the old PS3/X360 versions I think.

?!? Wii U version has all the DLCs that 360 and PS3 had (going by Warriors Orochi 3 PSN page), was the don't forget it even has 4 extra characters, Rachel, Seimei Abe, Momiji and Shennong.

Back to Sengoku Musou 4- Keep getting my ass kicked on the second stage of the Kinki (Nagamasa) story route. The star rating isn't even that high, but it's populated by too many damn powerful officers. Almost beat it last night on the third attempt, then the CPU-controlled Nagamasa got himself killed before I could switch to him and heal. T_T

What difficulty was this? Nagamasa's fate was already sealed so...XD
Sengoku Musou 4 has me hyped enough, I've preordered DW8XL on the Vita in order to tie me over till we get SW4 announced =D.

Lyte Edge

?!? Wii U version has all the DLCs that 360 and PS3 had (going by Warriors Orochi 3 PSN page), was the don't forget it even has 4 extra characters, Rachel, Seimei Abe, Momiji and Shennong.

Let me be anal and say that it's three extra characters- Rachel was added in Special (on the PSP). ^_^;

...And Ultimate has even more characters, levels, story, and DLC! @_@

What difficulty was this? Nagamasa's fate was already sealed so...XD
Sengoku Musou 4 has me hyped enough, I've preordered DW8XL on the Vita in order to tie me over till we get SW4 announced =D.

Just the normal difficulty! First time I've had this much trouble clearing a stage. Guess I'll just do some grinding. None of the characters available for use on that level (only four) I used before this storyline route. Wonder if I could get by if I just equip only healing items instead. Hmm...

MoxManiac

So did anyone notice the dramatic change/improvement in horse animation from DW8 to DW8 XL? The horse now sways its body and head a lot more when turning now. Noticed the most with red hare. Seems like a random thing for koei to adjust.

This is in regards to the PS3 version by the way.

TreIII

Could not disagree with you more...totally love this game. Shinsoku works great for quickly building up meter/getting through large crowds and you can always use it on officers after a juggle or stun on them. I thought there was supposed to be an equippable gem type that allows for Shinsoku to break officer guarding, but I can't find anything on that.

Well, I'm glad that at least some others are enjoying it in my stead! :lol

I guess my problem is...I wish that the different segments of Omega Force would do more to touch and agree on various aspects. It always seems like they're (usually) willing to give 110% to their collab/franchise Musou games and Orochi, but SW and DW just seem to be left with more..."gimmicky" stuff like Shinsoku and the Weapon Triangle/Storm Rush/etc. (I heard loose talk that Storm Rush got patched a bit in XL, but I haven't gotten around to picking that up yet.)

Again, when I think about how Shinsoku could've been something more akin to either a) Gundam Musou's "Boost Dash" (or better) or b) a certifiable second attack string that would have meant more in the way of string variety (re: a la One Piece)? What we got just left me feeling a bit flat on the gameplay end. Which is sad, because most of the other aesthetic content is actually pretty good.

My boy Goemon and the other red-headed stepchildren not getting a new costume (even when they could've just used one of the Alts from WO3 and called a day...?) is one thing. Goemon, again, being pretty much forced to fight the same way he did back in the first game, because most of his new attacks will just get repelled by Officers? That's just something I can't look the other way.

Well, I'm glad that at least some others are enjoying it in my stead! :lol

I guess my problem is...I wish that the different segments of Omega Force would do more to touch and agree on various aspects. It always seems like they're (usually) willing to give 110% to their collab/franchise Musou games and Orochi, but SW and DW just seem to be left with more..."gimmicky" stuff like Shinsoku and the Weapon Triangle/Storm Rush/etc. (I heard loose talk that Storm Rush got patched a bit in XL, but I haven't gotten around to picking that up yet.)

Again, when I think about how Shinsoku could've been something more akin to either a) Gundam Musou's "Boost Dash" (or better) or b) a certifiable second attack string that would have meant more in the way of string variety (re: a la One Piece)? What we got just left me feeling a bit flat on the gameplay end. Which is sad, because most of the other aesthetic content is actually pretty good.

My boy Goemon and the other red-headed stepchildren not getting a new costume (even when they could've just used one of the Alts from WO3 and called a day...?) is one thing. Goemon, again, being pretty much forced to fight the same way he did back in the first game, because most of his new attacks will just get repelled by Officers? That's just something I can't look the other way.

Are there no skills you can equip to get around it? I don't know what the progression system is like in SW4.

Are there no skills you can equip to get around it? I don't know what the progression system is like in SW4.

People say there might be but I haven't seen any proof of it so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I never really saw any problems with the weapon triangle in DW8. It's a nice change and the only bad thing about it was that all the 5th weapons were the heaven affinity.

In XL, they made it so Storm Rush isn't automatically if you choose for it not to. They also made it so you could actually keep the broken Storm Rush status and change weapons. But, I think that got patched to fix that. :p

I think the main problem is that Koei decided to not give the SW characters a revamp in their 10 year old movesets. Sure some people got like range increases or whatnot (like Magoichi) but it's mostly the same for everyone. Sure everyone got a new attack string but it isn't like DW where some characters got revamped movesets between DW5 and DW7/8.

Top Bottom