• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Where is that feature located, anyway? I haven't finished the game yet; put about 30 hours into it on PS3/Vita, basically finishing the vanilla WO3 content plus the extra stuff added to that storyline, and have been waiting for the PS4 version to continue playing. Do you have to beat some of the newer content, added from Hyper and for Ultimate, before color edit becomes available, or did I miss it somewhere?

I don't know where it's found, but I believe that you do have to beat the new story mode to unlock it.

Ah yes, from the Koei wiki
"A Samurai Warriors 3-like color editor is available to customize characters' appearances. Unlocked by clearing the final chapter, this feature is restricted to non-downloadable costumes. "

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Well, that would certainly explain things, thanks!

Eager to see how much of an improvement this is, visually and performance-wise, over the PS3 version, and how it compares to DW8XL PS4. Almost time to go home!

Lyte Edge

Initial impressions are that this is a straight port-up. Doesn't really look like anything was enhanced along the same lines as DW8XL (and the upcoming SW4 port). There's still the same enemy pop-in as on PS3 and detail levels don't look like anything was vastly improved, if at all. None of the field of view "enhancements" like DW8 has are in the game, either, although most people will probably find that welcome.

At first glance it doesn't seem like they did anything more than make the resolution 1080P...and that's it. Framerate seems to be same, too. I did notice it hitting 60 FPS on occasion, but for the most part it still fluctuates like on PS3/Vita.

Does this mean that you shouldn't get this on PS4? Absolutely not-- even if the only big difference is the resolution, this is still the best version of the game available. But if you're like me and already own Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate on PS3, I wouldn't recommend upgrading. The difference just isn't as big as the other musou PS4 ports.

Going to keep playing and see if anything else sticks out.

Lyte Edge

Darn, but I guess it figures, given how quickly and quietly it was announced.

I swear it looked improved in trailers and screenshots. Was pretty surprised to find what is essentially the same game that I already own. Don't even care about remote play on this on since I have the Vita version already.

Oh well. This still mutha fuckin' Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate and it is still THAT awesome.

Lyte Edge

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate PS4 screenshots. The funny thing is that some of these actually look pretty good. Some of the fire effects look noticeably better in this game.

14516598415_eeb9331a5b_o.jpg

14516598155_70867fb340_o.jpg

14513215301_765903b9ec_o.jpg

14330021618_8963ddf515_o.jpg

14513215701_7cdc7a1a4f_o.jpg

14493502566_74298af631_o.jpg

14515513192_4dd157cea9_o.jpg

14536714713_dbbe27c4d5_o.jpg

14516597905_9ec797eb73_o.jpg

14536715193_b75a5bbffb_o.jpg

14516596885_cb062c03de_o.jpg

14329943410_4a1bc1b5f5_o.jpg

14330156857_8756eef957_o.jpg

14493499776_bd2ca2049b_o.jpg

14330007499_86a543d7a0_o.jpg

14493501996_65a59a3b35_o.jpg

For comparison, here's a few screenshots of Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete. You can see farther into the distance, there's more character detail, and the picture/textures are much cleaner/detailed as well.

Creaking

Thanks for the screens. Yeah, wow... looks like a pretty basic up-port. Oh well, Warriors Orochi 4 is bound to look pretty, right?

It's going to be weird picking this game up, missing all of the Dynasty Warriors 8 characters and a bunch of the new weapons, plus the new EX attacks, plus the switch attacks and stuff (which isn't that big of a deal...), plus the bodyguards, and likely plus enemy officers actually guarding against attacks.

Still, at least I'll get the superior Yuan Shao moveset. It was kind of neat how they managed to declone everyone's movesets in WO3, despite them still sharing weapons.

Lyte Edge

Well, keep in mind that WO3 is a three and a half year-old game already. It definitely looks dated compared to the Koei musou games from 2013. That said, I don't understand why this port couldn't at least have had no enemy pop-in and a rock solid frame rate.

Last year, I played Dynasty Warriors 8 before the release of Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate for Vita/PS3. I had no problems "going backwards" from the DW characters/game play standpoint.

What has changed things up quite a bit for me is Sengoku Musou 4. That game just plays so much smoother and faster than all the other Koei games do, and it does feel a little weird not having everything it added, especially the rush attacks, lol.

Creaking

Well, closer to 2 and a half years, though I suppose the assets it's working with are older.

Koei seems to have issues getting their games to run well. I really wish they would tone down their "everything is on fire" effects if they can't get them to go off without chopping the framerate in half, which happens quite a lot in 8XLCE PS4. In split-screen it's unbearable.

I'm a little curious about Samurai Warriors. Truth be told, I've only ever had a taste of the series through Orochi. I've been a Dynasty Warriors nut since 4 though.

What has changed things up quite a bit for me is Sengoku Musou 4. That game just plays so much smoother and faster than all the other Koei games do, and it does feel a little weird not having everything it added, especially the rush attacks, lol.

I definitely do hope that Koei doesn't release Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate in the West in November or something cause I really do imagine it will be just weird going from Sengoku Musou 4 back to this.

Lyte Edge

I just booted up the PS3 and Vita versions of Ultimate for comparison and am happy to report that the PS4 version definitely has more characters on-screen than those versions, but it still feels like less than what DW8XL can display. They also did add some small details here and there to the stages. It just overall doesn't feel like as big a leap as DW8 was going from PS3 to PS4. Which makes sense, I suppose.

Well, closer to 2 and a half years, though I suppose the assets it's working with are older.

Ah, my mistake, yeah. Came out at the end of 2011 originally.

Lyte Edge

Koei seems to have issues getting their games to run well. I really wish they would tone down their "everything is on fire" effects if they can't get them to go off without chopping the framerate in half, which happens quite a lot in 8XLCE PS4. In split-screen it's unbearable.

Hopefully their first true next-gen musou game wows us. I would prefer if they just focused on the framerate (go for either a solid 30 or solid 60) and having shitloads of enemies on-screen over any other details.

I'm a little curious about Samurai Warriors. Truth be told, I've only ever had a taste of the series through Orochi. I've been a Dynasty Warriors nut since 4 though.

I highly recommend trying Samurai Warriors 4. I was glued to the game from start to finish. Actually I need to go through the CAW mercenary mode still, but I may do what I did for Ultimate and just wait for the PS4 port to finish it up. ^_^;

I definitely do hope that Koei doesn't release Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate in the West in November or something cause I really do imagine it will be just weird going from Sengoku Musou 4 back to this.

Seems like they're planning to release SW4 first, which is weird. And WO3 Ultimate is the only one of these games releasing on the Xbone. Just watch the game get trashed for feeling 'dated', without people realizing the improvements that other recent musou games have made. -_-

Noi

Finally updated the OP's banners, though I left room for 8 Empires since it doesn't have a cover art yet.

I'm really excited to play SW4. Samurai Warriors was my introduction to the whole franchise and I haven't played a game in that particular series since it's XL expansion, partially due to a lack of time (and not wanting to pick up the "inferior" version of 2, though I've never owned a 360 still). Then SW3 happened and I kinda lost interest until Orochi 3 came out, which I used to get re-acquainted with the cast (and gently ease me into DW's massive roster, since I'd never played a mainline DW before that).

Still haven't gotten around to 8XL. Waiting on a good discount for the PS4 version, retail or otherwise.

cwistofu

Question about SW4: Do the rush attacks (where the characters zip around and kill everything in their path) make the game feel kind of samey? I've watched some gameplay, and from what I can tell all characters can do this whenever they want at the cost of no meter. I'm afraid this will just make all the characters play more or less the same in the long run.

kuroshiki

What is the release date for WO3 ultimate PS4 and SW4 PS4?

I was thinking about buying vita version but after experiencing glorious remote play (and god-tier awesome graphic on vita's small screen) I'm sticking with remote play musou.

Question about SW4: Do the rush attacks (where the characters zip around and kill everything in their path) make the game feel kind of samey? I've watched some gameplay, and from what I can tell all characters can do this whenever they want at the cost of no meter. I'm afraid this will just make all the characters play more or less the same in the long run.

From what I heard (from mostly complainers), godspeed does have that kind of problem where you end up using it most of the time since it is a great way to run through the stages. There is the fact that you can get repelled by officers but it stuns them too for a bit so it does seem overpowered. Characters do have different levels of effectiveness with it though in terms or range and what not so at least it won't be completely the same.

What is the release date for WO3 ultimate PS4 and SW4 PS4?

I was thinking about buying vita version but after experiencing glorious remote play (and god-tier awesome graphic on vita's small screen) I'm sticking with remote play musou.

Samurai Warriors 4: October 25 I think
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate: We'll find out in the next 12 hours :]

Lyte Edge

From what I heard (from mostly complainers), godspeed does have that kind of problem where you end up using it most of the time since it is a great way to run through the stages. There is the fact that you can get repelled by officers but it stuns them too for a bit so it does seem overpowered. Characters do have different levels of effectiveness with it though in terms or range and what not so at least it won't be completely the same.

If you just mash out triangle, sure- but that's not going to be quite useful in beating officers and larger crowds on higher difficulty levels. It's just a new way of crowd control and a different set of chains. The characters still feel unique from one another.

Haven't played any of the SW games, and my only experience with Samurai Warriors characters is from the Orochi games. But, do they all have different movesets in SW4, from what I'm hearing?

Lyte Edge

Haven't played any of the SW games, and my only experience with Samurai Warriors characters is from the Orochi games. But, do they all have different movesets in SW4, from what I'm hearing?

Yes and no- Some stuff has been retained, some stuff is different. The easiest way to describe it is to say that the triangle attacks have been changed from hard attack to the new godspeed dash attack, but if you start combos with square, you can still do some stuff that would be the old hard attacks from before. Depends on the character.

I love how they've really started to change up the game play in all these musou games and I look forward to seeing what comes next. I doubt Hyrule Warriors will have any major game changers, but I'm looking quite forward to that regardless.

Everyone now has a godspeed attack string which is the reverse of the normal square attack string as it starts with triangle now.

In addition, some moves got a graphical upgrade or got expanded. Like Ina's C5 or Okuni's C5 now has more parts of it instead of the single attack.

Lastly, if you noticed some of the characters had lots of charge attacks or charge attacks with one or two additional triangle inputs which related to what kind of moveset they have in the Samurai Warriors games, normal, charge or special. Now in SW4, they added a godspeed moveset category and some characters got reclassed as it, so their movesets are now changed like Kunochi, Nene, Kiyomasa or Mitsuhide.

But for the most part, their movesets are about the same for better or worse.

Now in SW4, they added a godspeed moveset category and some characters got reclassed as it, so their movesets are now changed like Kunochi, Nene, Kiyomasa or Mitsuhide.
Wait ... WAT?!? Why would they take these two who were already close enough despite having their movesets be Charge / Special and change them both to the same moveset type, >_<.

Wait ... WAT?!? Why would they take these two who were already close enough despite having their movesets be Charge / Special and change them both to the same moveset type, >_<.

lazyyyyyy Koei

but at the very least, their godspeed attacks are different enough that it shows that Koei has an idea of where they want to go with them

whenever they decide to do so

Can't wait to try out the changes. Fall can't get here soon enough. Hope WO3U winds up releasing in Summer instead for something in the meantime.

Edit - Looks like September 5th. A little late for my liking with SW4 coming the month after...

Question for those who have played WO3U already. Is the main story mode from WO3 still in it or just replaced by this new one?

Yeah, but what about the Vitaaaaaaaaa

(God, Koei, you know I'm already probably going to buy all three versions by the end of this)

Lyte Edge

You can do crazy-fast shit in SW4 like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsy5nUmf8Ho

I got you covered. Screenshots I took:

I'm on track to do this...I don't need the PS4 version, but I just know I'm gonna cave and buy it, LOL.

Glorious Vita shots. Definitely most looking forward to playing this on my Vita.

And yeah, I don't really need the PS4 versions, but hey if they are letting me transfer my save files and DLC, I can't exactly say no.

GrayFoxPL

Guys, Warriors: Legends of Troy is on sale on EU PSN. I understand it's little bit different to normal Warriors but how is it?

It's hard to find anything in common with musou series other then "you fight bunch of guys".
It has parries, just frame like button combos, ragdolls, instant kill moves, character lock-on, weird grid like upgrade system, QTE boss fights. Oh and you can't choose characters and game switches characters every level between two rival armies.

Also I always start musou games on hard because they are easy and I like a little challenge but Legends of Troy can be ridiculously hard and if I remember right you can't manually save.

Not a totally awful game but it shouldn't be taken as a Warriors series game.

deim0s

Coming from the other thread in gaming, if I would pickup a SW/DW game right now on PS3 what should it be? What are the differences between the two warriors titles aside from the chars/setting? Do all last-gen titles have split-screen coop?

Would it be better to just wait for the SW4 game this Oct since it's newer?

I don't have any attachment to both, but I did play for an hour or two of a friends Orochi title on the PSP.

I'd say get Orochi 3 Ultimate when that comes out in September (unless you can pick up the vanilla game for really cheap, since the save will carry over). The core game was amazing and all the stuff they've added since give it insane replay value. I'm so excited to get it on PS4.

I got you covered. Screenshots I took:

I'm on track to do this...I don't need the PS4 version, but I just know I'm gonna cave and buy it, LOL.
Hmmmm why did the PS3 screenshot above look so odd? Old game image? May have been old Vita image =/.
In fact I think Koei purposely made the PS3 version look worse in it's press release images, I mean I found the one below from actual footage, can do a true comparison now lol. Edit: In fact it does look like Siliconera was given Vita images mixed in and were told it was PS3.

Also PS4 footage to push you over the edge ;D:
PS4 Samurai Warriors 4 PV
PSVita
gGis63T.jpg

PS3
24715-samurai-warriors-4-gameplay-con-sanada-nobuyuki_jpg_1280x720_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

vs.
PS4
sw4_ps4_05.jpg

Coming from the other thread in gaming, if I would pickup a SW/DW game right now on PS3 what should it be? What are the differences between the two warriors titles aside from the chars/setting? Do all last-gen titles have split-screen coop?

Would it be better to just wait for the SW4 game this Oct since it's newer?
Like AdawgDaFab said get WO3 Ultimate in September so you don't really have to choose between the two series, and then when you get DW8/SW4 you'll probably notice the changes made to the games, primarily for the better.

Nohar

Hi there. Hyrule Warriors rekindled my interest in the series. While I'm waiting for this game to be available in Europe (19th september...), I was wondering if you had a good Musou game to recommend me. As for my gaming systems, I own a X360, a 3DS and the Wii U (all PAL/EU).

Hi there. Hyrule Warriors rekindled my interest in the series. While I'm waiting for this game to be available in Europe (19th september...), I was wondering if you had a good Musou game to recommend me. As for my gaming systems, I own a X360, a 3DS and the Wii U (all PAL/EU).
I'd recommend Samurai Warriors Chronicles for the 3DS. DW8 for 360 or WO3 Hyper for the Wii U, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is also on them both but it's not a very good game =/. 360 has Gundam Warriors up to 3 if you like Gundam.

Most recommended of them all is the 3DS game, Samurai Warriors Chronicles as you get to play as your own character and interact with SW characters.

Nohar

Hmmm, I dislike the "play your own character" thing. Is it still possible to play DW heroes in that episode? May give it a try though, being a portable game has its advantages.

Played an hour of DW8 xtreme legends on Steam and it's crazy good. Fast gameplay and characters seems to have a good amount of unique movesets.

It's almost a return to the roots, if only unlimited musou wasn't tied to rage mode it would even better.

Nohar

Well, I might get this one (forgot to mention I owned a decent PC)... But not at full price.
Oh well, I think I may be better off waiting for Hyrule Warriors anyway.

Banned
As a huge gundam fan, I'm looking to step into this series. I got a PS3 and the best gundam musou I here is Reborn. Should I jump into that game first or play the other ones?

Well, I might get this one (forgot to mention I owned a decent PC)... But not at full price.
Oh well, I think I may be better off waiting for Hyrule Warriors anyway.

Liezryou has it for cheap (I assume you're referring to DW8 on Steam) . You can send him a pm for details.

As a huge gundam fan, I'm looking to step into this series. I got a PS3 and the best gundam musou I here is Reborn. Should I jump into that game first or play the other ones?

2 and 3 are good. 3 has refined gameplay but story is a giant "what if" and because of that I prefer 2. Both titles also have cel shading graphics which is always welcome.

Banned
Liezryou has it for cheap (I assume you're referring to DW8 on Steam) . You can send him a pm for details.

2 and 3 are good. 3 has refined gameplay but story is a giant "what if" and because of that I prefer 2. Both titles also have cel shading graphics which is always welcome.
Excellent. Thank you.

Noi

I thought 3 was p bad in general. Looks good and has the most "refined" gameplay, but has the worst gameplay modes and maps to fight on. Every single mission follows the same formula of capturing enough bases to lower the main camp's defenses, then taking that over and beating the enemy commander. It's made worse by the lack of an Official Mode like the first two games had, since those at least change up the objectives on what to do. I'd even suggest playing 1 over 3, as dated as 1 is now, if only cause it actually tried to be a musou-style'd Gundam game.

2's still tops overall tho. Can't go wrong with it.

Tabby

So I've been meaning to get into Samurai Warriors but all these WIIU and Japan only PS3/360/Vita releases are making it hard for me.

Should I just get Samurai Warriors Chronicle for the 3DS? Is that like the only way I can play a recent Samurai Warriors games if I don't have a WII/WIIU? Or should I just get Sengoku Basara 3?

Top Bottom