• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Krilekk

Banned
General Kickstarter Question:

So lets say in this example, they get the $900,000 and start the project. my money goes to them. How are they held to actually releasing a product? I am curious on how it works in general with Kickstarter.

I think I am going for the $100

There are no guarantees. If the game gets axed because they go over budget that's the risk you have.

Maxrunner

Called it was gonna be on a tuesday!

173k funded, so glad this had such a great response already. I think I'm gonna go for the $50 pledge, though the $15 for the shipping is a little too much.

say again??? if i give 50$ i still have to pay 15 for shipping?really?

Zeliard

There are no guarantees. If the game gets axed because they go over budget that's the risk you have.

With projects like this, Double Fine, etc, it's a risk so tiny as to be irrelevant. There is very little chance of nothing being released. The chance you're taking is more on the overall quality of the final product.

The companies target relatively lower budgets for these games, with higher budgets leading to simply more stuff added and/or wider distribution. The games are able to be made with the original goal they set out to hit or else they wouldn't have set it in the first place.

You know something MightyHedgehog? Before today ive never wished someone else had $1000 to spend on a video game lol

Hehehe Me, too! My negotiation skills will be tested over the next two days, so I hope to hope to gain entry to that $1k club. As it is, I'll be happy with the $250 to $500 pledge.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The games this guy has had a hand in ...wow.

Definitely going to pledge. I was 1 when Wasteland came out so that was slightly before my time, but fallout et al have a dedicated chamber in my heart.

Bentendo

"Oh, you guys did Fallout 3? I love that game!"

"No we did Fallout 1 and 2."

"There was a Fallout 1 and 2?"

So freaking true. It blows my mind how many people think Fallout 3 is not actually Fallout 3.

Maxrunner

The games this guy has had a hand in ...wow.

Definitely going to pledge. I was 1 when Wasteland came out so that was slightly before my time, but fallout et al have a dedicated chamber in my heart.

Did you found all games he participated???i know he was in fallout 1 and 2, and some other but not all...

Nibel

Amazing progress so far. Will donate.

FVh9a.jpg

Never forget.

Corky

Did you found all games he participated???i know he was in fallout 1 and 2, and some other but not all...

Well, the guy founded Interplay and while exactly which games they made in house and which they just published are unbeknownst to me they have in one way or another been affiliated with some of my favorite games of all time.

Man, I hope the box they're talking about shipping the game in is of the old EA album-style. I fucking loved those so much more than standard ones, though some old computer game boxes were nice quality. I remember Origin's O.G.R.E. having a nice fucking heavy duty box for that fatass manual. You'd be lucky to get more than a leaflet ad for a strategy guide in a cheap, superthin and flimsy-ass PC game box today.

Corky

The Double Fine KS doesnt reference any specific international shippment or am i wrong?

Special edition box containing both the game disc and a DVD or Blu-Ray of the documentary, Double Fine Adventure Backer T-shirt, original "Double Fine Adventure" poster (suitable for framing), special thanks in the game’s credits, and all previous reward tiers. (These items are exclusive to the campaign and will be shipped for free in the US. Please add an additional $10 to your pledge for international shipping)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Looks like the gods listened to MightyHedgehog's prayers, ha.

So we're getting a $3mil adventure game from Tim Schaffer, and more than likely getting this too. It's like Fantasy Island for gamers.

zkylon

zkylewd
With almost 200k already, I'm feeling pretty confident they'll make it. Congrats to them!

Now waiting almost 2 years for this game is gonna be agony...

Maxrunner

Sorry, it seems it does, but not in the bottom of the page. Still i only gave 45$ so no phisical copy for me then. But i might consider giving wasteland 2 the 65$.

If I weren't unemployed I'd be pledging another $100 like I did to Double Fine. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can afford to dip another $100 with my current monetary situation.

I, however, do want to see more games like this so I have to support in some way. So I stuck $30 in there. If I get a job between now and the project end date I'll definitely bump up my support.

If I weren't unemployed I'd be pledging another $100 like I did to Double Fine. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can afford to dip another $100 with my current monetary situation.

I, however, do want to see more games like this so I have to support in some way. So I stuck $30 in there. If I get a job between now and the project end date I'll definitely bump up my support.

You're a gentleman and a fine human being through and through.

Full LARGE BOXED COPY OF WASTELAND 2, complete with worn cloth game map and old school instruction book. Also features the digital soundtrack and digital concept art book from previous award. Also receive an early release episodic Novella (Part 1) on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game.

Well worth getting a physical version IMO. I loved my ultima map + moonstone from back when

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm in for $15, and hopeful.

Why does the pitch video look like something Brian Fargo produced by himself out of his garage? If the game's had a year of pre-production, why are there zero details about the actual game plans aside from it being in the vein of the original?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it moves at about 1-2 thousand $ per minute. At this rate they will be funded in 6 hours....

Corto

That's it Avalone! You see these 30$? They were for your Kickstarter. Now they're Fargo's. You're too slow, sorry.

duckroll

That's it Avalone! You see these 30$? They were for your Kickstarter. Now they're Fargo's. You're too slow, sorry.

No? Avellone can do his Kickstarter when he's good and ready, and my money will be there for him. This isn't a rushing game. It's simple about whether you have something that people want.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Looks like the gods listened to MightyHedgehog's prayers, ha.

So we're getting a $3mil adventure game from Tim Schaffer, and more than likely getting this too. It's like Fantasy Island for gamers.

Yeah. I do hope these games turn out well not just for the games themselves but for the precedent they're setting. Kind of a lot of responsibility on their shoulders here. Schafer more so due to the high profile, but even though I've Kickstarted both way more interested in Fargo's project since Wasteland is so near & dear to me.

I wish inExile's track record were a little better. I will probably donate 15 bucks at some point but I'm not really expecting an excellent game.

Top Bottom