• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Nairume

Banned
Not really a fan of F3... everything BUT the combat was good in NV.

Brotherhood of Steel gets more hate then it deserves... I like it a side-story game. Love the visuals in the game. Would be awesome if W2 ended up looking similar.
Yeah, it was actually a lot of fun as a coop game.

I hope this is sarcasm.

It's not. This stopped being acceptable about half a decade ago.

At any rate, I would never have donated had I known this. I am not going to sit there and read reams of text off a monitor before making decisions.

And I really don't think I'm alone. I basically read for a living, hundreds of pages a day. I enjoy it. But I do t want to read my videogames. It is just awkward and weird. Perhaps if there is some alien nonsense language with "subtitles," but just text with silence is a crummy experience.

Zeliard

And compromise the fuck out of dialogue. Fallout 2 can have completely different choices depending on how intelligent your character is. They tried to compromise in New Vegas, but that shit just isn't possible when you have to record all those lines.

The biggest reason for that is quite simple - they have vastly more freedom to do those sorts of things when they can simply write a line or a piece of dialogue and stick it in the game immediately.

With voice acting, it goes without saying that you need a voice actor. If you're attempting to add or change character lines after the fact, then you need to bring that voice actor back in, which costs more money. The simpler solution there is to simply not tweak those things and leave them as-is, even if you've thought of something much better.

Without having to worry about voice acting, the writer(s) can largely do whatever the hell they want. Add/remove/change dialogue, modify characters, modify plotlines, etc to their hearts' content.

The biggest reason for that is quite simple - they have vastly more freedom to do those sorts of things when they can simply write a line or a piece of dialogue and stick it in the game immediately.

With voice acting, it goes without saying that you need a voice actor. If you're attempting to add or change character lines after the fact, then you need to bring that voice actor back in, which costs more money. The simpler solution there is to simply not tweak those things and leave them as-is, even if you've thought of something much better.

Without having to worry about voice acting, the writer(s) can largely do whatever the hell they want. Add/remove/change dialogue, modify characters, modify plotlines, etc to their hearts' content.

Why can't the VO just be post production?

Varna

Of course and this is far better for a role-playing game of this caliber. They could always just certain, very important things voiced.

Sotha Sil

At any rate, I would never have donated had I known this. I am not going to sit there and read reams of text off a monitor before making decisions.

And I really don't think I'm alone. I basically read for a living, hundreds of pages a day. I enjoy it. But I do t want to read my videogames.

You would take voicework over complex, choice-heavy dialogue trees? Because those disappeared for a reason, you know.

Why is voice work expensive? Back in the 90s wasn't most of the voice work done by the developers and their friends? Why cant they do that with this game. No one is expecting Keith David and Nolan north we just don't want to sit there and read text for hours on end

Emitan

Why is voice work expensive? Back in the 90s wasn't most of the voice work done by the developers and their friends? Why cant they do that with this game. No one is expecting Keith David and Nolan north we just don't want to sit there and read text for hours on end

So they should waste time and money on bad voice acting?

Don't play a classic style RPG if you hate reading. I'm not gonna buy the new CoD complain about all the shooting.

It would be more like buying a new Call of Duty and complaining that strafe is on the should buttons like in the 32 bit days.

All RPGs have voicework now: FallOut 3, Mass Effect, , Final Fantasy XIII, Alpha Protocol, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, etc.

I realize that these games have significantly larger budgets, but I'm not asking for Jean Luc Picard or even Nolan North.

I got the impressing they were aiming for a big box style game from their "$15 for initial supporters only" line. But I can't even think of a $50 game that doesn't have voice work.

Ventrue

Hire one of your friends as a reading assistant.

ArjanN

Yeah, you'd never get something like Torment to be fully voiced. At least, not with this kind of budget.

I hope they do it like Fallout/Planescape/Baldur's Gate etc. where at least the important stuff is voiced. It really added a lot more character to those games.

EDIT: beaten.

I hope they do it like Fallout/Planescape/Baldur's Gate etc. where at least the important stuff is voiced. It really added a lot more character to those games.

EDIT: beaten.

I guess I could deal with that IF the non-voiced characters were succinct and give me paragraph upon paragraph to read. Costume Quest, for example, worked ok.

dude

dude

And I really don't think I'm alone. I basically read for a living, hundreds of pages a day. I enjoy it. But I do t want to read my videogames. It is just awkward and weird. Perhaps if there is some alien nonsense language with "subtitles," but just text with silence is a crummy experience.

What is wrong with you son

We'll definitely get to 1.25 by tomorrow :)
1.5 here we come!

Corto

Voice acting talent is expensive. You can use a text to speech program for free, but to have a real talented voice actor giving life to a character through his/her performance costs a lot. And in an intricate branching dialogue system it would be a waste as most of the times the player reads faster than the voice acting rendition and skips for the next option before it ends.

Owensboro

Special edition with a bundled K7 with the voice performances recorded.

nah. Special edition comes with 50+ Hallmark cards that are numbered 0 to 50 with sound chips in them. When you get to certain points, the game tells you to open certain cards for "flavor voice text". Not all 50 cards are actually used, and some continue the red herring story about going to Mars.

Grimmy

Banned
InXile just increased its top tier $10,000 slot from 8 to 16, so it's no longer sold out. Also, the $5000 slot has been increased as well from 10 to 15. Weird that they didn't try to increase the $1000 tier at all.

And of course, still 0 backers at the $2500 slot. Lolol

InXile just increased its top tier $10,000 slot from 8 to 16, so it's no longer sold out. Also, the $5000 slot has been increased as well from 10 to 15. Weird that they didn't try to increase the $1000 tier at all.

And of course, still 0 backers at the $2500 slot. Lolol

Well if you're throwing that much money around you might as well go the whole hog and get a statue of yourself.

I have a feeling that the private party is going to get crowded by the end of this.

Draft

They should build CGI talking heads and get celebrities like Richard Dean Anderson and Tony Shalhoub to voice them.

You would take voicework over complex, choice-heavy dialogue trees? Because those disappeared for a reason, you know.

That's horse shit. The Old Republic has more dialogue than all of those games combined and it's all fully voiced. To a lesser extent the modern fallout and mass effect games are fully voiced as well and there isn't really a shortage of dialogue or options. At a minimum I expect fallout 1 amount of voice acting meshed with text and I think that's more than fair

TheCrow

I kinda prefer text for minor characters because most of the time I just read it and skip past voice overs, like in Mass Effect. Actually I skipped almost all the voice work except for Morbin and Wrex.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ok. Ok. You're our field agent then. Plant a camera in there as soon as possible and get back with us with hourly updates of their activities.

Seriously. Would it be weird to show up to their office with a box of Dunkin Donuts coffee and a bakers dozen?

"Thanks dudes, for the memories. Keep up the good work!"

Erethian

That's horse shit. The Old Republic has more dialogue than all of those games combined and it's all fully voiced. To a lesser extent the modern fallout and mass effect games are fully voiced as well and there isn't really a shortage of dialogue or options. At a minimum I expect fallout 1 amount of voice acting meshed with text and I think that's more than fair

Old Republic also had a budget.

Even Fallout 1 had a budget of 3 million dollars, according to Tim Cain.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It'd be weird. But not as weird as realizing they're right next door.

I had to add more to my contribution. Now, I'm not supporting a game I want...I'm stimulating the local economy!

no because I know alot of people like myself who want an old school Fallout game but with modern sensibilities to hold us over until Fallout 4 comes out for next gen platforms. Are there people that seriously just want Wastland 2 to look and play just like the one from the 80s?

Lol, dude. Did you buy Megaman 9 and 10? Of course people want the old style ya dingus.

It will probably be a mix of both. The combat mechanics will most likely be more like Fallout than Wasteland, while the story and the world will be like Wasteland.

With Mark Morgan on board, I think that the atmosphere might tip over to Fallout. But, it's hard really. Wasteland is 24 years old by now, and it has pretty basic graphics, and archaic gameplay. What else but the story and setting can they take from it?

Besides, a lot of the stuff from Fallout was taken from Wasteland anyway.

I'm OK with the combat mechanics drifting a bit away from the Bard's Tale model and towards Fallout. The story and world, however, should definitely be more Wasteland than Fallout, the Wasteland universe is a lot cooler to me.

Pledged my $100. wasteland was such a big part if my early gaming days.. from the minute I saw the box art was in love. And this "turn-based due to technical limitations" fallacy really needs to go away. TB <3

I got banned from Kotaku right after Fallout 3 was released because one of their "content providers", in a piece on FO3, bashed turn-based and extolled the "modern" real-time combat. I kept it civil but apparently my retort was a bit much. Oh well, I'm right and they are still Kotaku.

Ah, found the quote: "I'm glad they decided to make combat real time, because nothing screams "I'm afraid of evolving" like turn-based fights."

I mean, c'mon, maybe I got trolled but I HAD to respond to that. Had it been in the comments I'd have let it go. But in the article?

Finally, in the interest of fairness, my response: "Ummm, ooookay. Maybe once you've evolved you'll understand the appeal of turn-based fights." Ok, maybe it wasn't that civil. But still!

Top Bottom