• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

dLMN8R

Fargo already confirmed it's going to (unfortunatly) be turn based to appease all 5 old timers out there. Real time would have been far better and more modern.

Isn't the entire point of this Kickstarter to appease people who liked Wasteland exactly as it was and want more of that?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well it looks like RPG Codex got enough for their statue. They are at $6700 right now. Its a shame that all the $10k spots were taken otherwise their might have been a Codex shrine in the game lol

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I know they've said they're probably not doing voice acting, but it's just crossed my mind that it could be interesting to (optionally) have someone narrating the content of the paragraph book at the appropriate time.

Even better if it were Ron Perlman :)

Totally was thinking this...kinda Bastion style..would be fantastic.

Isn't the entire point of this Kickstarter to appease people who liked Wasteland exactly as it was and want more of that?

no because I know alot of people like myself who want an old school Fallout game but with modern sensibilities to hold us over until Fallout 4 comes out for next gen platforms. Are there people that seriously just want Wastland 2 to look and play just like the one from the 80s?

@Anticitizen One

LMAO. real time?

This isn't bloody diablo/starcraft with a party of 4-5.

click click auto dice roll?

GTFO!

go buy the PS2 fallout shit if that's what you want. You play that.

I'd be dropping my support if it was real time.

There is nothing more modern about real time games.

real time is more fast paced and exciting. To me, and I know im just shooting off my mouth at this point, but to me the only reason alot of games were turn based back in the day was because of limited technology and nobody was able to do good real time combat back then.

Could someone tell me actual advantages of turn based over real time?

Radogol

no because I know alot of people like myself who want an old school Fallout game but with modern sensibilities to hold us over until Fallout 4 comes out for next gen platforms. Are there people that seriously just want Wastland 2 to look and play just like the one from the 80s?

Do you really expect a million dollar game to be a substitute for Beth's Fallout? It's only reasonable to go into a different, more niche direction.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I have a feeling they'll do combat descriptions as radio chatter between team members and Rangers HQ.

that would be great too..actually that sounds superb!
I love the idea of a Ron Pearlman style narrator for the story monologs thru out the game especially the parts while exploring the over world wilderness filling in story details ..

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
real time is more fast paced and exciting. To me, and I know im just shooting off my mouth at this point, but to me the only reason alot of games were turn based back in the day was because of limited technology and nobody was able to do good real time combat back then.

Could someone tell me actual advantages of turn based over real time?

Strategy. It all comes down to strategy. Real time combat is reaction based. And while there can be strategy to real time combat, turn based will always be more strategic.

dLMN8R

I'm glad you know "a lot of people". But 20,000 people backed this project. Brian Fargo specifically said it will be turn-based.

If you were right, then people are more than welcome to remove their pledge.

But they're not.

No one said anything about looking like a game from the 80. But playing like Wasteland? Why the fuck not? There is absolutely nothing inherently "old" about turn-based gaming. It's a deliberate style there for deliberate reasons, not some fall-back due to technology.

Violet_0

Banned
did your group members in Wasteland have personalities and dialogues? Because that's pretty high on the fan 'want' list (and I think even the devs mentioned this at some point). I think they're going for a Wasteland/Fallout mix with a dash of Infinty Engine RPGs here.

the only reason alot of games were turn based back in the day was because of limited technology and nobody was able to do good real time combat back then.

Pack it up people, let us abandon chess.

It is a product of limited technology and has no advantages over something more real time, like boxing.

Varna

I'm not the only one who thought the interface and controls in Fallout 1 & 2 was FAR better then the ones in Fallout 3/NV right? The originals had hotkeys for the different functions, hotkeys for every skill and shit happened instantly instead of waiting for that god awful pipboy animation. It also had some actual style... F3/NV is just a god awful looking HUD.

I hope the one in W2 is the same except for being able to see more items and lines of dialogue. That's the only "modern sensibility" I need.
Vector based movement too please...

I love watching the video on the kickstarter page:

"I didn't know interplay made fallout 3. I love that game!"

"No we made Fallout 1 & 2"

"There was a Fallout 1 & 2!??!?"

I love watching the video on the kickstarter page:

"I didn't know interplay made fallout 3. I love that game!"

"No we made Fallout 1 & 2"

"There was a Fallout 1 & 2!??!?"

Sad thing is there really are people who aren't aware of Fallout 1 and 2. I was talking to a friend of my cousin around when 3 came out and brought up the first two games and mentioned how he should check them out if he ever gets a chance, and he was sincerely shocked that there were two games before it. I even brought up the fact that the current one was "3" so of course there is a 1 and 2 and his reply was that he assumed the "3" had something to do with the story, which is why it was in the title. That was the most I had been confused in awhile.

DiscoJer

Older computers/video games systems could do action RPGs, they just largely didn't want to.

Computer gamers back then were largely big geeks - into D&D, board games, and the like who simply just preferred turn based. But there were a few attempts to a broader market, like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_to_Apshai

And then there were some real time games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonriders_of_Pern_(video_game)

This was fascinating because it basically was in real time in both the strategy aspect (time constantly kept moving) as well as arcade segments where you fought threads. MULE is another old strategy game that was more or less real time. Sure, you took turns, but your actions were timed, both in developing your plots and the auctions and such.

But seriously dude, people have been waiting 25 years for a sequel to Wasteland. You just want something to kill time between Fallout NV and Fallout 4? Virtually everything today is real time, let us have Wasteland 2 and go play Borderlands 2 until FO 4 comes out (not the same, but not that different)

Sad thing is there really are people who aren't aware of Fallout 1 and 2. I was talking to a friend of my cousin around when 3 came out and brought up the first two games and mentioned how he should check them out if he ever gets a chance, and he was sincerely shocked that there were two games before it. I even brought up the fact that the current one was "3" so of course there is a 1 and 2 and his reply was that he assumed the "3" had something to do with the story, which is why it was in the title. That was the most I had been confused in awhile.

I'm not surprised. My cousin thought Batman Begins was the prequel to the tim burton batman movies because, in his words "at the end of Begins they mention the Joker and in the next one (batman 1989) had the joker in it"

Varna

wrong but Fallout 3 and Fallout NV totally were awsome as were the Mass Effect & Diablo Trilogies

Not really a fan of F3... everything BUT the combat was good in NV.

Brotherhood of Steel gets more hate then it deserves... I like it a side-story game. Love the visuals in the game. Would be awesome if W2 ended up looking similar.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not really a fan of F3... everything BUT the combat was good in NV.

Brotherhood of Steel gets more hate then it deserves... I like it a side-story game. Love the visuals in the game. Would be awesome if W2 ended up looking similar.
You mean Tactics, right?

Over a million dollar budget and NO voicework?

What the fuck is this a $5 indie game or a game published by Nintendo?

Any reputable company in the year 2012 should not be putting out a game w/o VO unless they are a tiny indie.

Finally backed, really glad they met the goal so soon. This is crazy, feels so good to directly enable the devs to make these games. It's been so long since I've played Wasteland...is it hard to find?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Over a million dollar budget and NO voicework?

What the fuck is this a $5 indie game or a game published by Nintendo?

Any reputable company in the year 2012 should not be putting out a game w/o VO unless they are a tiny indie.

I hope this is sarcasm.

Varna

Voiceover is expensive.

And compromise the fuck out of dialogue. Fallout 2 can have completely different choices depending on how intelligent your character is. They tried to compromise in New Vegas, but that shit just isn't possible when you have to record all those lines.

Top Bottom