• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

That's the stated goal, so I don't think anyone needs to worry about resources being diverted to an iOS port.

Yeah, that's what it seems like. It sounds like he wants to develop the game for PC first and then possibly port it to other platforms later. I'm not surprised that he would chose iOS as a likely candidate, it's much easier to get a game up on the App store than it is either PSN or XBLA, and the fees are probably smaller too.

Grimmy

Banned
when you are in combat its like Jagged Alliance.turn based,do your actions and then the enemy...has strategy cause you have your team and arrange moves as long as you like and then press "end turn"
when not in combat walk and talk to npcs in different town,areas in the map.........

Uhm... you do realize that this is not even remotely close to how the original Wasteland plays, right?

I think Brian Fargo really needs to stop stressing the Fallout part and deliver on what Wasteland fans want - a sequel to Wasteland. I don't want Fallout Van Buren.

Dipswitch

just had a discussion about this on Twitter. I hope it WILL be delayed because it's very hard to do a deep RPG in a year and half even though they had a year of concept phase. And if Fargo keeps everybody updated nobody will lash at him hard. Given its audience specifics most people will gladly wait.

It probably behooves them to stay on schedule as much as possible, as they have limited funds. That may become less relevant if they clear $2 million.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
It probably behooves them to stay on schedule as much as possible, as they have limited funds. That may become less relevant if they clear $2 million.

I think Fargo will be kicking in his funds anyway thinking about sales afterwards.

Izcarielo

Banned
Just one question about this Kickstarter system: do they charge me the 65$ i want to pledge right in the same moment? or will they do that April 17th?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Glad to see this was funded. I'm still curious about the first game, I may check it out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just one question about this Kickstarter system: do they charge me the 65$ i want to pledge right in the same moment? or will they do that April 17th?

You don't get charged until the timer runs out.

It took about an hour after Double Fine's Kickstarter to end until I got the payment confirmation email from Amazon.

New? but definitely awesome cover photo added to their Facebook page:

431097_331872353528701_319549084761028_878037_1173890474_n.jpg

Holy shit. This worked? Fuck me if this isn't a blatant representation of what game developers are going to do to get money for their projects soon. IMO.

I think Brian Fargo really needs to stop stressing the Fallout part and deliver on what Wasteland fans want - a sequel to Wasteland. I don't want Fallout Van Buren.

For good or ill, Fallout 1 and 2 were purchased and played by far more people than Wasteland, and the former have much more brand awareness (even before Bethesda got involved) than the latter. This naturally means that the measuring stick for most users is going to be "How does this match up with what I remember from Fallout?" rather than "Does this game really feel like Wasteland?"

love playing games on ipad but lets be serious here. If this was an IOS only game; it'd garner NO interest. Waste of time + resource and as much as some of you like it; its just fucking stupid.I have no interest in playing this on an ipad.

play it on a computer with music and a big screen.

Holy shit. This worked? Fuck me if this isn't a blatant representation of what game developers are going to do to get money for their projects soon. IMO.

doesn't always work. If people don't buy it; you're shit out of luck. But its a new avenue for sure.

Grimmy

Banned
For good or ill, Fallout 1 and 2 were purchased and played by far more people than Wasteland, and the former have much more brand awareness (even before Bethesda got involved) than the latter. This naturally means that the measuring stick for most users is going to be "How does this match up with what I remember from Fallout?" rather than "Does this game really feel like Wasteland?"

I'm sorry, but I pledged my money not so that "most users" will dictate what the game is going to. I pledged money for Brian Fargo to actually have some vision to make a sequel to Wasteland 2 - and not a sequel to Fallout 1 & 2.

This whole "user input" thing is starting to sour me. If Brian Fargo needs to get some kind of plural majority voting for what the game will be, then I think I need to consider whether this is something I want to waste my money on as well.

Its going to hit at least $1.2m today if it keeps going at this rate.

It sounds like what they really want is $1.5m so I hope they reach that goal.

If the donations don't fizzle altogether I can see it reaching $2m by the time all is said and done.

pretty ballsy using a movie scene as if it were some art from them.

There's a lot of silly shit on their Facebook page, I wouldn't read much into it.

I'm sorry, but I pledged my money not so that "most users" will dictate what the game is going to. I pledged money for Brian Fargo to actually have some vision to make a sequel to Wasteland 2 - and not a sequel to Fallout 1 & 2.

This whole "user input" thing is starting to sour me. If Brian Fargo needs to get some kind of plural majority voting for what the game will be, then I think I need to consider whether this is something I want to waste my money on as well.

Then why don't you go read his interviews and Twitter instead of taking the word of random forum posters as the word of Brian Fargo.

CFMOORE!

It sounds like what they really want is $1.5m so I hope they reach that goal.

If the donations don't fizzle altogether I can see it reaching $2m by the time all is said and done.

There's a lot of silly shit on their Facebook page, I wouldn't read much into it.

if i were a developer i'd only allow for posting of our own concept art and stuff. especially at a crucial point like now, trying to crowdsource funds to make a game. i'd want to provide them with enough original content to get people hyped.

i've never played the original and i last tried to play fallout 1 like seven years ago but couldn't get into it but I will donate to this. especially hoping for them to reach the 1.5mil for a mac version.

It's a facebook page...

and? if they won't put it on their website don't put it on their facebook page. i fucking hate FB but a lot of companies now use it to drive traffic to their products just as their own website would. try and keep it to YOUR content would be how I'd play it. again, at a time like this, post some of the shit they probably have from the year this has been worked on previously, as some have pointed out. but my point is that the poster above believed it to be something from them, so it isn't a genuine representation of what they're doing. not everyone will be able to tell it is from constantine.

Then why don't you go read his interviews and Twitter instead of taking the word of random forum posters as the word of Brian Fargo.

It was Fargo himself who said Fallout fans will be very happy with what he has planned for W2.

edit: The interview Fargo did with Joystiq today addresses Grimmy's concern. He's said that they'll use the forum/moderator to get a general feel for the fan base, but would only use a specific idea if they thought it would really work.

Yup, alongside more titles that utilize Microtransactions as well..

Hopefully it means cheaper overall games as well.

I am all for this movement to be honest. Maybe Ed Boon will kickstart the canceled Fire and Ice game!

Izcarielo

Banned
You don't get charged until the timer runs out.

It took about an hour after Double Fine's Kickstarter to end until I got the payment confirmation email from Amazon.

Great, then here i go :)
Never played Wasteland (hell, i was born the same year the game came out), but last year i bought and completed Fallout 1 & 2 and i really liked the atmosphere , the gameplay (although it was somehow clunky sometimes) and the graphics.
Really looking forward to this release next year :)
Now i just wish Avellone kickstarts another RPG project and ill be really happy !

Yeah, I want Wasteland 2 and not Fallout 2.5. Not that Fallout 2.5 would be bad to have, but I didn't pony up for that.

It will probably be a mix of both. The combat mechanics will most likely be more like Fallout than Wasteland, while the story and the world will be like Wasteland.

With Mark Morgan on board, I think that the atmosphere might tip over to Fallout. But, it's hard really. Wasteland is 24 years old by now, and it has pretty basic graphics, and archaic gameplay. What else but the story and setting can they take from it?

Besides, a lot of the stuff from Fallout was taken from Wasteland anyway.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Judging from his latest interview (the link is his twitter) iPad port is of the lowest priority.

Wildesy

isometric 2.5D and turn based is perfect for iPad. It should be the lead platform since the market is huge.

Why? iPad is a huge market.

People aren't funding this game with inXile's profit margins or market penetration in mind. I mean, sure, I hope they make a lot of money from the game because the game itself is good, but as a contributor why the hell would I care how big their potential market on the iPad is?
I funded the game because of the promise of a throw-back CRPG on the PC, not because there is a huge potential market in mobile computing that could potentially enjoy the game we all funded.
If the iPad was the lead platform Nubbe, this Kickstarter would've struggled to raise 10 thousand dollars.

As others have pointed out, even at 1.5 million the budget seems pretty minute. Fallout was made ~20 years ago and cost roughly the same amount while taking 3 years to complete. It's not like they'll be struggling to find ways or areas to allocate the money to. I'd infinitely prefer the funding went to something like voice acting (which understandably wasn't important when there were question marks over where the goal would be reached) or more locations, then an additional platform for me to play the game on - a shitty one at that. They need to focus on making the absolute best game for the fans here. If they are interested in porting it to the iPad, they should be doing it out of their our revenues, not the funding supplied by the 99% of gamers who said an iPad version wasn't important.

Grimmy

Banned
It was Fargo himself who said Fallout fans will be very happy with what he has planned for W2.

edit: The interview Fargo did with Joystiq today addresses Grimmy's concern. He's said that they'll use the forum/moderator to get a general feel for the fan base, but would only use a specific idea if they thought it would really work.

Thanks a lot for responding nicely without being an asshole (unlike some people).

Actually there's a new interview: http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/exclusive-interview-brian-fargo-talks-wasteland-2

But it still isn't 100% clear how he hopes to retain the "Wasteland-ness" in this sequel. Everything he's said in interviews so far has him lumping Wasteland and Fallout together, which isn't a great sign.

Besides, a lot of the stuff from Fallout was taken from Wasteland anyway.

Did you play Wasteland? That's far from the truth. What I loved about Wasteland is its zany quirkiness and humor. Fallout is, for the most part, pretty darn serious. You don't get to kill bunnies or bunny masters and pet dogs and its owner. Wasteland's world is colorful and is actually more populated than Fallout's more lonely feel.

I vastly prefer Wasteland's setting over Fallout's.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks a lot for responding nicely without being an asshole (unlike some people).

Actually there's a new interview: http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/exclusive-interview-brian-fargo-talks-wasteland-2

But it still isn't 100% clear how he hopes to retain the "Wasteland-ness" in this sequel. Everything he's said in interviews so far has him lumping Wasteland and Fallout together, which isn't a great sign.

Did you play Wasteland? That's far from the truth. What I loved about Wasteland is its zany quirkiness and humor. Fallout is, for the most part, pretty darn serious. You don't get to kill bunnies or bunny masters and pet dogs and its owner. Wasteland's world is colorful and is actually more populated than Fallout's more lonely feel.

Serious question, should I play Wasteland? Is it still playable/enjoyable? Because the bolded part is convincing.

While Wasteland certainly is more colorful, I don't know if I would call it lively.

When I think of Fallout, it's certainly not its seriousness I think of. It's well known for it's humor and silly stuff.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Serious question, should I play Wasteland? Is it still playable/enjoyable? Because the bolded part is convincing.

I'd say its very hard to get into due to the dated look but if you enjoy the D&D style of videogame it can still be enjoyed in that regard

mclem

As I quoted earlier:

@ryanyewell said:
@BrianFargo I hope "game influence by fans/committee" is balanced with strong leadership/tough decisions. Sometimes these are at odds... :)
@BrianFargo said:
@ryanyewell don't worry. There is a healthy process to make it work. I am not without strong opinion.

mclem

I know they've said they're probably not doing voice acting, but it's just crossed my mind that it could be interesting to (optionally) have someone narrating the content of the paragraph book at the appropriate time.

Even better if it were Ron Perlman :)

and? if they won't put it on their website don't put it on their facebook page. i fucking hate FB but a lot of companies now use it to drive traffic to their products just as their own website would. try and keep it to YOUR content would be how I'd play it. again, at a time like this, post some of the shit they probably have from the year this has been worked on previously, as some have pointed out. but my point is that the poster above believed it to be something from them, so it isn't a genuine representation of what they're doing. not everyone will be able to tell it is from constantine.

This. I would add in my defense that I only even went to the FB page because of this:
Kickstarter Update #2 said:
Check out the Wasteland 2 Facebook page for Wasteland updates and links to a lot of the great press we have been getting in the last few days. There are some really neat articles to read. www.facebook.com/Ranger.HQ
They must have gotten some shit about the image as its been taken down and replaced with another image that I'll just assume is stolen from some other unrelated work.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Fargo already confirmed it's going to (unfortunatly) be turn based to appease all 5 old timers out there. Real time would have been far better and more modern.

iUmy8H5Xl5n2x.gif

I think this will be the biggest issue with the game. How old school will it be? I would very much prefer Fallout 1 and 2's tile and turn based battles.

Top Bottom