• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Nearing thirty-thousand backers for a total of $1.525 million pledged.

Also, in Fargo's Twitter was a link to Liz Danforth's homepage talking about how she was involved with some of Wasteland's development, in particular one of the very first things you encounter in the game. It's an interesting anecdote and I'm glad Fargo went out his way to try and involve everyone who is core to the experience of the first.

Liz Danforth on her site said:
So I experienced an enormous swell of excitement on March 5th, when Brian Fargo wrote me asking Not sure if you have been paying attention to all the wasteland news but would you like to work with us on a sequel?

I had to work out some things, including checking that the Storybricks team was okay with this. Thankfully, they were. They knew I’d worked on the original Wasteland computer game, released back in 1988, and were supportive of the whole idea.

With my issues addressed, I was very pleased to tell Brian Yes Yes Yes and Yes.

WASTELAND
I wasn’t a big part of the original project, but Highpool was one of the areas I wrote that appears early in the game. People still make sour faces when I grin evilly and say I was responsible for the tragedy with the kid and the rabid dog. I did other bits elsewhere in the game too, but that’s the piece I hear the most feedback about.

Still, the remarks aren’t always kind! I recall a forum comment I read just a year or two ago, saying something like “What kind of sick mind thinks up a situation where you have to kill a kid’s dog? And the kid too?”

dog, mad dog, rabies, fighting, anger*ahem* Wasteland is a post-apocalyptic world set in our near future. An animal infected with full-blown rabies can’t be saved in our world, today. With limited medical supplies and a trashed infrastructure, how in hell do you imagine you could possibly do anything but put a rabid dog out of its misery?

You never had to kill the kid, either. He’d throw himself at you, yes, but you’re playing a squad of big strong mega-weaponed Rangers! Grownups! Walk away. It’s not like you were chickenshit for backing down from some evil-hearted final boss bent on scourging the world and all you loved within it. It was a little boy.

True, if you passed through the area again, the kid would scream and yell and accuse you of terrible things — forever. But why would the boy forget the bad strangers who killed his beloved dog? He’d only asked you to help him.

You were never allowed to forget either.

EMOTIONAL CONTENT
That isn’t something that happened in video games of the time. I didn’t know that — the scenario I created was the kind of thing I’d've written for a bit of fiction, or a tabletop game. I play with emotions, and I still delight in knowing a little story I wrote can make strong men and women cry. The rabid dog’s tale was simply cause and effect, a touch of the unexpected (for the time), and the power of unforeseen consequences.

I remember that I had to argue to keep that event the way I wrote it. I think it was Alan Pavlish who said “But you have to give them a way to save the dog!” I explained the medical reasons why I felt that was unacceptable, how effective it would be to keep it this way, and he finally said okie-dokie. And that’s how the story was eventually programmed.

That was just little tiny bit of storyline in a larger game that had many memorable moments. The whole team’s joint efforts resulted in something amazing, with impact that still resonates. And even if it did get me called “a sick mind” decades later, people tell me they still remember the dog, decades later.

A lot of powerful, creative, intelligent minds worked on the first Wasteland. Brian is assembling the core personalities who drove that game, including my old friends from Flying Buffalo and T&T days, Mike Stackpole and Ken St Andre. I met Alan Pavlish while working on Wasteland and worked with him many times thereafter, writing large chunks of subsequent Interplay projects like the two Star Trek titles (25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites) and other works. I was delighted to learn that another creative friend from that time, Steve Peterson, once of HERO Games and co-designer of Champions, is evidently also getting involved. [ETA: I may have misunderstood something Steve said, but it would be cool if it's true!]

Right now, it looks like I’ll be doing just a little in the new game, but at least one map. Expect a worthy successor to Highpool. Expect me to jack around with your emotions and expect your decisions to have consequences. I know more about games and game design than I did then, and I’d like to think I’m at least as creative today as I was then, if not more so.

Why does it cost so much money to make a video game?

All of the above answers.

Video games cost money.
Things cost money. Equipment, time, manpower, trademarks, copyrights, marketing, distribution, rent (dear lord, especially in San Francisco). There's this mythical "Just Enough" number that people like to throw around in order to seem like they understand the financial part of it all. But when you have so many variables, what exactly is "Just Enough"?

$3M is nothing when most AAA titles take anywhere from $10-100M.

Skyrim took almost five years. That's five years of payment.

Zeliard

Most money in a game development's budget generally goes to manpower - that is, wages to the creators. If Kickstarter devs are willing to take a cut, as Fargo has indicated inXile employees are for WL2, then that can drop the cost down pretty significantly. Particularly when they can actually pocket the profits rather than it going to a publisher that doesn't pay royalties.

akira28

Also, in Fargo's Twitter was a link to Liz Danforth's homepage talking about how she was involved with some of Wasteland's development

She should force you to get married and buy a house, and then have to harvest your spouse's organs and burn the house down to progress. Today people do so much hand wringing over killable children, and with her, one of the first things you end up doing is killing a kid, or possibly a whole town of kids. She's a good'un.

zkylon

zkylewd
New update :)

Some selected quotes:
At 2 million we will increase the staff to make the game more social so that it can become a more shared experience. We like the concepts of dropping notes into the world for your friends who are playing the game, or perhaps we may allow you to send an item their way from Ranger center to help them out. We are fleshing out the ideas but intend to increase the social aspects of the game without diverting it from being an old school RPG and without hurting the balance.
We have received many questions about multi-player, and my feeling is that we do not think it would be the right decision for such a heavy narrative RPG.
More important than multi-player I would prefer to have a robust set of tools so the community can create mods and make the Wasteland world bigger than any one company ever could.

Demon's Souls-like messages and mods? Is there a single thing about this project that isn't made of pure awesome?

There are links to a bunch of other interviews in the Kickstarter link.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eeeh, as long as you can shut them off. Nothing like having a suprise or cool encounter ruined by dumbshits slapping grafitti all over the world. It really killed the immersion in the souls games for me.

Not a big fan of the concept of shared notes among players in this game such as this. Talking about things like this may confirm their desire to make WL2 as challenging as WL1 if not more challenging, though, so I like that possibility. The official forum is so filled with folks who seem to want another Bethsoft game or a resurrection of Van Buren and Interplay Fallout...it's kind of disappointing, really.

Zeliard

Not a big fan of the concept of shared notes among players in this game such as this. Talking about things like this may confirm their desire to make WL2 as challenging as WL1 if not more challenging, though, so I like that possibility. The official forum is so filled with folks who seem to want another Bethsoft game or a resurrection of Van Buren and Interplay Fallout...it's kind of disappointing, really.

I imagine Fargo and company will still largely do what they want, though. Many people probably just haven't played Wasteland so their closest source of comparison would be something like Fallout, which was in turn originally meant to be a Wasteland sequel but they couldn't get the rights. I agree they are definitely different games and I think Fargo understands that.

People are really asking for something like a Bethsoft game, though? Like a Beth Fallout? Mein gott.

Perkel

Banned
Every game needs Demons' Souls notes.

It depends how it will work. I don't want some idiot to spoil suprize event or story. Alse there should be limit how many those hints can be. One for area or more. In Dark souls sometimes you had floor just burning with crap notes etc.

More interesting thing to me would be random encounters with other players on fallout1/2 style world map.

You could barter with them rob them, make them your slaves and sell them. After selling player would brake out from prison with more players or sneak alone.

One player will hire himself for water caravan and few other will try to raid them. It would be even better if you could own caravan and hire other players.

Or one player can hire other and go for more dangerous place.

Classic multiplayer formula is to messy for story driven game. Balancing and game economy would be mayor pain in ass to do thought.

Dark Souls multi with convenants showed that diffrent type of multi could be fun and rewarding.

zkylon

zkylewd
It depends how it will work. I don't want some idiot to spoil suprize event or story. Alse there should be limit how many those hints can be. One for area or more. In Dark souls sometimes you had floor just burning with crap notes etc.

More interesting thing to me would be random encounters with other players on fallout1/2 style world map.

You could barter with them rob them, make them your slaves and sell them. After selling player would brake out from prison with more players or sneak alone.

One player will hire himself for water caravan and few other will try to raid them. It would be even better if you could own caravan and hire other players.

Or one player can hire other and go for more dangerous place.

Classic multiplayer formula is to messy for story driven game. Balancing and game economy would be mayor pain in ass to do thought.

Dark Souls multi with convenants showed that diffrent type of multi could be fun and rewarding.
Have you already tried FOnline: http://fonline2238.blogspot.com.ar/? Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

By the way, did anyone watch the update video? I thought it was just some random interview but it's their real video. Doesn't say anything new or is particularly funny but I still like them for trying.

edit: oh wow, that's an argentine blog. Maybe I know the modder?

mclem

Why does it cost so much money to make a video game?

Count the number of people in the average credits list sometime. All of those need to be paid. A good chunk of them will work on the project for upwards of a year. Also take a look at a yearly salary in the industry.

Perkel

Banned
Have you already tried FOnline: http://fonline2238.blogspot.com.ar/? Sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

By the way, did anyone watch the update video? I thought it was just some random interview but it's their real video. Doesn't say anything new or is particularly funny but I still like them for trying.

edit: oh wow, that's an argentine blog. Maybe I know the modder?

Wow i didn't seen that yet. Amazing stuff. Downloading client.

Looks like AracanumOpen project.

BTW I wonder how kickstarter idea would do for mods. Like black mesa one.

DiscoJer

That notes thing works in an old school Dungeon Crawl environment , because there is something of an assumption that lots of adventurers are going through the dungeon killing stuff (which probably respawns, except maybe for Bosses) or getting killed.

But in Wasteland, the world is pretty much fixed - your actions change it. So it doesn't make much sense for other people to do things in it, since if they were leaving these notes, being ahead of you, they would have changed the world.

She should force you to get married and buy a house, and then have to harvest your spouse's organs and burn the house down to progress. Today people do so much hand wringing over killable children, and with her, one of the first things you end up doing is killing a kid, or possibly a whole town of kids. She's a good'un.

Hatoful Boyfriend 2.

duckroll

If they hit 2 million and end up implementing dumb social features, I will do my part and abuse the fuck out of the social features to annoy everyone else on my friend list playing Wasteland 2 (especially those in this thread!) with notes like "Hey sup, the fact that you can see this dumb note IS OUR OWN FAULT!" and "Remember when you told Fargo to shut up and take your money? Now you have to shut up and see my dumb notes!!!!"

They will all also come attached with variations of penis drawings I can do with text. 8==D~ ~ ~

Zeliard

For fuck's sake Fargo, if you go the social route make the messages standardized and chosen from from a list so DUCKROLL CAN'T HAVE HIS WAY.

mclem

It strikes me that using failed parties to make encounters (in the form of stumbling on the aftermath of a battle) could be non-invasive but still interesting.

Talyn

If they hit 2 million and end up implementing dumb social features, I will do my part and abuse the fuck out of the social features to annoy everyone else on my friend list playing Wasteland 2 (especially those in this thread!) with notes like "Hey sup, the fact that you can see this dumb note IS OUR OWN FAULT!" and "Remember when you told Fargo to shut up and take your money? Now you have to shut up and see my dumb notes!!!!"

They will all also come attached with variations of penis drawings I can do with text. 8==D~ ~ ~
His mentioning social features in that update was a bad misstep and he's facing a backlash over it. Most people are very against it (or at least those against it are being a lot more vocal) and some are already threatening to drop their pledges if he actually intends to waste resources on it. Apparently the rate of pledges has slowed considerably since that update was posted as well.

duckroll

His mentioning social features in that update was a bad misstep and he's facing a backlash over it. Most people are very against it (or at least those against it are being a lot more vocal) and some are already threatening to drop their pledges if he actually intends to waste resources on it. Apparently the rate of pledges has slowed considerably since that update was posted as well.

Lol. He should do what Schafer did and promise social features at 1.9 million, and then the promise to drop them if it hits 2 million. :p

Acosta

Fargo re-updated, I haven't bothered to check backlash but it must be intense:

Brian Fargo said:
There has been a lot of panic that any kind of element of sharing will ruin the classic old school RPG. I think some people are overreacting to the word "social" which I can kind of understand. But here is the bottom line. We will post a description of our thoughts in the forums and if YOU the fans still don't want it then we will not fight the majority. We can now get back to our normal shouting.

I agree he missteped with that one, he should know the word "social" is radioactive for this kind of game and this game of public. I'm sure he will end backing off from that.

Yeah, I can't see mentioning social features going over too well with the hardcore rpg crowd. Even if the feature turns out to be alright, call it something besides social lol.

Social gaming is the future and I am pleased Brian Fargo is thinking clearly for Wasteland 2.

Seriously any gamer who has played all the big games (Demon Souls, NFS Hot Pursuit, SSX, etc.) will agree

horsebird

Banned
I'm glad the social additions were shouted down early, but I wouldn't mind an area in the world that acted as a multiplayer hub of sorts where people could, say, compete in bare knuckle boxing against another player's ghost. You would be able to upload your ghost for other players to fight against as well, and earn money for wins accrued online and offline. I'm fairly certain there are more innovative ideas they can come up with, too.

I'd still much rather they focused on other core elements than any form of mp, however. The mod toolkit in particular should receive more attention over mp, for example.

Wiktor

I don't have anything against social as long as it can be turned off, but in a project like that it seems like a huge waste of resources that should go into other areas.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Well, that is a good thing about fan-funded projects - developers are actually listening to their audience, lol

Top Bottom