• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

I think this was drawn by the same fan who did the earlier ones, sounds like he got recruited to do some official work later.

h_wasteland_poster_big.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dammit, Brian, now I want to see what happens at 2 million. But still, I don't think it's as big as the Mac and Linux versions.

But maybe Linux and Mac users will fund since their versions are now happening. I hope! I want this game to be awesome.

Oh dammit, Brian, now I want to see what happens at 2 million.

You have to give this man a lot of credit for his enthusiasm for Kickstarter. His "Kicking it Foward" concept is an interesting one for sure and it is nice to see that he is willing to feed profits back into other Kickstarter projects, if his is successful. But I wonder how many other Kickstarter projects will bite into this idea? 5% could be a little or a lot depending on what the final success of some of these projects are.

But congratulations for meeting their ultimate goal!

sTeLioSco

Banned
You have to give this man a lot of credit for his enthusiasm for Kickstarter. His "Kicking it Foward" concept is an interesting one for sure and it is nice to see that he is willing to give feed profits back into other Kickstarter projects, if his is successful. But I wonder how many other Kickstarter projects will bite into this idea? 5% could be a little or a lot depending on what the final success of some of these projects are.

But congratulations for meeting their ultimate goal!

i think it can work........

http://www.kickstarter.com/profiles/inxile/projects/backed

duckroll

If Kickstarter and everyone involved with the original arrangement is okay with this Paypal thing, then I am no longer concerned.

Zeliard

If Kickstarter and everyone involved with the original arrangement is okay with this Paypal thing, then I am no longer concerned.

Wasteland 2 is the second most successful Kickstarter project money-wise and along with Double Fine has brought them enormous publicity. Plus there's now a link to the Paypal site on the WL2 Kickstarter page itself, so they definitely don't care. :p

I think this was drawn by the same fan who did the earlier ones, sounds like he got recruited to do some official work later.

He's not very good. BF now has the pick of some very talented people if he wants. I hope he doesn't just pick the 1st joe blow who just offered their services.

The thing that has me wondering about these kick starters is, what if the games suck? Would you feel more ripped off than if you bought a regular game? Will people feel more of a sense of "ownership" over a game if they kickstarted it rather than just did a regular preorder? I wonder how that will have an effect on future kick starters, or if there is pressure on these first few like Double Fine and Wasteland to really hit it out of the park. It'll be interesting to see this develop.

Emitan

The thing that has me wondering about these kick starters is, what if the games suck? Would you feel more ripped off than if you bought a regular game? Will people feel more of a sense of "ownership" over a game if they kickstarted it rather than just did a regular preorder? I wonder how that will have an effect on future kick starters, or if there is pressure on these first few like Double Fine and Wasteland to really hit it out of the park. It'll be interesting to see this develop.

If this game sucks I'll feel good knowing I only spent $15 instead of whatever the full price will be.

Varna

Good question. In this particular case, I think I would still feel good knowing that I supported this project and hopefully more games in this style could be made as a result. I think this is the reason Brian Fargo is really getting ahead of himself with the whole "kick it forward" initiative. Developers should be doing what they love and not just bending over for publishers.

The thing that has me wondering about these kick starters is, what if the games suck? Would you feel more ripped off than if you bought a regular game? Will people feel more of a sense of "ownership" over a game if they kickstarted it rather than just did a regular preorder?

The |OT|'s for the Kickstarter-funded games are going to be insane, that's for sure.

There's more attachment due to being moved to support what is obviously a risk. The cost to own a copy of a KS game project, on average, seems very small...much smaller than buying 'budget-priced' console games, anyway. No, I don't think mixed or negative reception will affect most things going forward. It will be more important that the first few really big KS games get finished and released on time, though, so people can feel comfortable with their pledge and continue to use KS or similar. Quality of final product is the most important part of the equation, but just contributing to getting a specific type of game made and partly-shaped is going to leave a bigger impression on people, I think. The quality of the games will still obviously affect the sort of general appetite for backing projects, but we're also talking about specifically under-served fanbases of now-niche genres in the cases of both DFA and WL2. It's just going to come down to what and how in addition to who, as all future KS projects will follow the templates for success laid down by successful projects and refine them, too. During the course of both of these projects, they have tweaked the tiers, added funding access, and added more localizations and platforms supported. I don't see a dim future at all, but it will be selective.

Grayman

it may burn a little that I waited x time for the game. I think with adventure putting so much in public that people may go through a angry phase if they do not like whatever concept DF goes with.

even if the games suck, i am playing the long game, getting developers accustomed to this kind of funding.

so its eventually used for shenmue III, and yes i know how unlikely this is

Minsc

Gold Member
Curious what the 2 million milestone brings too, we've already covered additional content and ports.

Generally, I feel better taking my chances on a cheap game a developer is making because they've wanted to do it for a decade or longer than some full price game they made because they had to make something a publisher would sign off on to sell.

I do not expect to like everything I back on kickstarter personally, but I think the people and types of projects they are working on through kickstarter lead to a bigger variety of games for me, which I'm happy to see.

Grayman said:
it may burn a little that I waited x time for the game. I think with adventure putting so much in public that people may go through a angry phase if they do not like whatever concept DF goes with.

In a way, it's smart getting it out early vs keeping it a surprise until close to release. As you say, it's a phase, and will pass. Even if the style isn't what you hoped for, after your initial reactions, I imagine you'll become accustomed to it over time, from seeing the videos of the game delivering funny lines and seeing the team working hard on it.

I would think they'd want to have more milestones before 2M....1.75 at the least. The more "attainable" a given one seems it is probably more likely that the pace will pick up to reach it in a more timely fashion.

With the recent Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, I wonder about this too. Honestly, the vocal majority (which I contend contains a large number of backers for these Kickstarter projects) being able to sway a develop to do something because "they weren't happy" only has the chance to be greatly exemplified if they did give money to a Kickstarter. If they are entitled to a better ending in a game they merely paid for, what is the mentality going to be for a game they "helped pay for the development of," despite that not really being the case (you get what your pledge says you get, nothing more, nothing less, despite what Fargo or DF say in comments elsewhere for crowd-sourcing some of the development.)

It will be interesting, and potentially painful to see, when some spoiled brat goes on a rampage because their idea wasn't used.

esserius

Banned
With the recent Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, I wonder about this too. Honestly, the vocal majority (which I contend contains a large number of backers for these Kickstarter projects) being able to sway a develop to do something because "they weren't happy" only has the chance to be greatly exemplified if they did give money to a Kickstarter. If they are entitled to a better ending in a game they merely paid for, what is the mentality going to be for a game they "helped pay for the development of," despite that not really being the case (you get what your pledge says you get, nothing more, nothing less, despite what Fargo or DF say in comments elsewhere for crowd-sourcing some of the development.)

It will be interesting, and potentially painful to see, when some spoiled brat goes on a rampage because their idea wasn't used.
This has to do with an entitlement issue that is long-running and created by videogame players, not the developers. I consider this a donation to a developer, not a donation a specific game. I want game developers to succeed, I don't really care whether this particular game is the end-all-be-all of videogames. This is what game players don't really get when they're paying for something. It's just like any other work of artistic merit, you can question and berate the artist all you like, but telling them they're wrong in the manner in which they created their work and that they should change it? That's just entitlement. And right now, that's just what gamers are. Entitled children.

DaBuddaDa

This has to do with an entitlement issue that is long-running and created by videogame players, not the developers. I consider this a donation to a developer, not a donation a specific game. I want game developers to succeed, I don't really care whether this particular game is the end-all-be-all of videogames. This is what game players don't really get when they're paying for something. It's just like any other work of artistic merit, you can question and berate the artist all you like, but telling them they're wrong in the manner in which they created their work and that they should change it? That's just entitlement. And right now, that's just what gamers are. Entitled children.

That's a cool new buzzword you learned recently, but you're attributing it inappropriately and calling all gamers entitled children is a little steep, don't you think?

Celine

Mmmh, now I could think to donate (AKA preorder).

That's why it really works (i.e. multi million funding) only for big names developers that previously developed pivotal games in the genre.
It's faith justified by the past curriculum.
The result only future could tell.

epmode

That's a cool new buzzword you learned recently, but you're attributing it inappropriately and calling all gamers entitled children is a little steep, don't you think?
I've always been fond of this post from GAF's lord and savior EviLore:

Can I establish a new internet law stating that anyone complaining about entitlement as part of their argument is both A) wrong, and B) a giant douchebag?

Because it appears to hold true 100% of the time.

"Entitlement" is pretty much only used to belittle requests that are (at least on some level) reasonable -- generally because the person doing the criticizing is unable or unwilling to construct a more specific argument. When someone really is demanding something wildly unreasonable there are much stronger and more appropriate words than "entitlement" to throw at them. Don't play that game, kids.

The thing that has me wondering about these kick starters is, what if the games suck?

I would be pretty annoyed if the game just flat-out sucked, just because the vast majority of games that really straight-up suck are due to incompetence, extremely negative situations (running out of money/time way before the game is ready), awful publisher interference, or other pretty extreme situations. Someone with good experience, a decent ability to pick talented crewmembers, a fairly relaxed schedule, and a source of funding that doesn't involve meddling publisher cronies has no excuse for producing anything less than a competent effort.

What I think is much more likely is that some of these games will be good but fail to live up to elevated standards. DFA will probably be a good adventure game but it won't be another Grim Fandango (i.e. a timeless, eternal classic.) I hope people can keep their expectations low enough to accept "good" instead of "fantabulous," at least.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm totally for communism not only because of videogames but humanity ruins it with its impurity every time and all is left is a wasteland.

Top Bottom