• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm mostly kinda disappointed by the excessively restricted palette and the lack of more distinctive/wacky elements, although I guess they are showing the desert rangers first and foremost after all.
Pretty much how I feel, but thankfully since this is a Kickstarter there will be room for some movement I hope. Or maybe they just wanted to reveal the most boring stuff first, get it out of the way. Change a few of the accessories and that might be a cool cover for SWAT 5 though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mainly the colour pallet of nothing but hues of brown.
bsImg.jpg

Eh, I dont think you need to worry about that. Wasteland was a very colorful game, and I doubt that this will be very different.

Its just a concept art about how a classic post apocalyptic scene in this game might come across. There are more inventive ways to do that, but I think this one is perfect fine for what it is.

I'm mostly kinda disappointed by the excessively restricted palette and the lack of more distinctive/wacky elements, although I guess they are showing the desert rangers first and foremost after all.

We dont need to worry about missing wackiness here, it has been acknowledged that this is an important part of the Wasteland universe.

Zeliard

lmao, the main guy there does resemble Dudebro

Let's all hang Jocchan for creating that perception.

But seriously, I doubt there's anything to be concerned about there. Remember that the game will be isometric and so the characters won't really look like that. It's just a single piece of early concept art to get a general feel for the Desert Rangers specifically.

Seriously guys.

It's one piece of concept art.

Seriously.

As I said, not judging the whole thing just from this.

I just hope this was a mood piece and not in anyway a goal for the final games visuals.

The original Wasteland was neon green and pink, and still looks interesting due to it, that should at least translate to 2 not being brownscale.

patapuf

I understand why some are sceptical about the brown, however this is a game that will play in a a "wasteland" that's part desert part post apoc towns, brown is fitting as colour for that setting.

i'm sure its not going to be the only colour we see in the game :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you think about it too the cover of Wasteland could be argued to be boring in this same sense (though it's one of my favorite covers of all time). I think it's mostly the "dudebros comin atcha" that rubs me the wrong way. Very uncreative presentation (in pretty start contrast to say the WL cover -- they should just riffed on that for the early art).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the best game ever

quake46.jpg

it was brown before it was hip to hate brown. I don't care.

and no, no way in hell I want it to be pink. Gosh, it was pink because it was fucking CGA or EGA.

The post-pic discussion... :0

W2's aesthetics will more than likely resemble that of the Fallout universe.

The palette from the original game is from 1988 guys, when people had between a whopping 4 and 16 colours to work with. And no, the bright greens and blues and pinks *do not* make it 'still look interesting today', they make it look dreadful.

Zeliard

There's definitely a difference in tone and general aesthetics between Fallout and Wasteland, but I think they'll catch that to a large degree. They do seem pretty cognizant of the fact that while the two share quite a few similarities, there are also some differences.

And Fargo has said this in the Gamebanshee interview:

GB: There are quite a few differences between Wasteland and Fallout, but due to the fact that the latter was a spiritual successor of the former, they oftentimes get construed as near-identical post-apocalyptic games. Do you think it's important to retain the Wasteland identity in the sequel and perhaps even try to push the game further away from the Fallout formula to ensure its uniqueness?

Brian: I think there might be varying opinions on what the formulas were for each and how they might be different. Wasteland excelled at many things like tactical combat, interesting situations that did not have clear cut correct solutions and it continued to surprise you along the way. Not only with those elements not be lost they will be expanded upon. We have the advantage of hindsight now since we can clearly see what things people reacted well to. We were flying blind while we made the first game. Fallout excelled in many of the same things but it really shined in tone and style. We need to make sure that we have an interesting art style and vibe. If there is any feeling that you have seen something a hundred times before you lose interest pretty quickly.

So he's aware it needs to stand out from the herd, and even from Fallout. He wants it to be similarly unique and evocative as Fallout in art style and tone, but not identical.

The post-pic discussion... :0

W2's aesthetics will more than likely resemble that of the Fallout universe.

The palette from the original game is from 1988 guys, when people had between a whopping 4 and 16 colours to work with. And no, the bright greens and blues and pinks *do not* make it 'still look interesting today', they make it look dreadful.

You are beyond wrong on the highlighted.

Really there's not much point arguing about this, I hope the next thing they release shows more of a distinctive visual style.

kswiston

Wasteland was full of bright pinks and blues because it had these 64 colours to work with:

EGA_Table.PNG

All EGA and CGA games looked like Wasteland.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's not really just about the colors or even primarily about that. Let's just say I share in the hope that the game's style will be far more distinctive than that.

zkylon

zkylewd
STALKER was the first thing to come to mind, personally.
I thought the same thing.

Looks pretty great IMO, agree on the color palette and lack of wackiness, but it sets up the Rangers as major badasses and it manages to get me real excited about playing them.

Don't worry, guys, I'm sure the game will have color.

Zeliard

If you don't like that image remember that it's specifically the Desert Rangers.

Fargo said:
Lastly, I am very excited to release the first official piece of Wasteland 2 concept art. We asked the very talented Andree Wallin to help us establish the look and feel of the Desert Rangers.

And it says nothing about what an isometric game will actually look like, in the end. The style of the game will demand much different visuals than what you can get from that sort of concept art. Planescape: Torment's cover with Nameless One's leering blue mug - or that alternative with the various 3D models - didn't indicate what the game itself was like visually, and I imagine it's similar here. It just helped to establish the strange, eerie tone.

Speaking of Torment, that game was - and still very much is - visually brilliant:

trmnt02883z4l.png

trmnt023kbu4c.png

trmnt014d6uku.png

trmnt016qiuhf.png

Doesn't that game still look absolutely incredible? I would honestly be happy with visuals on that level with these Kickstarted cRPGs. That'd be even better than what I'm hoping for.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If you don't like that image remember that it's specifically the Desert Rangers.

And it says nothing about what an isometric game will actually look like, in the end. The style of the game will demand much different visuals than what you can get from that sort of concept art. Planescape: Torment's cover with Nameless One's leering blue mug - or that alternative with the various 3D models - didn't indicate what the game itself was like visually, and I imagine it's similar here. It just helped to establish the strange, eerie tone.

Speaking of Torment, that game was - and still very much is - visually brilliant:

Doesn't that game still look absolutely incredible? I would honestly be happy with visuals on that level with these Kickstarted cRPGs. That'd be even better than what I'm hoping for.

That would actually vastly exceed my expectations in terms of visuals.

If the artstyle follows in the spirit of the original's tone and animated portraits, I think I'll be okay. It would have to be much more in line with sci-fi/fantasy art of the 70s and 80s, in general. Even in the event that it does end up being clamped to a narrow palette and hyper-realistic detail, I hope for a skin option for a more true-to-the-original visual vibe...they've even put up an optional 8-bit version in one of the forum polls, so it seems quite possible on just a cosmetic level, at least. Also, I like the new concept piece. It's got a desperate, ragtag sort of group feeling, which describes WL1's feel for parties and how skills and combat works...but it's hopefully just highlighting just that sort of feeling and not indicative of the final game's overall look.

Same, don't want to be a downer but if I saw this and was told it was COD MW4 I would believe it.

What? How could you think it was? Looks like something out of Mad Max if anything. i'm surprised people are are so negative about the art style. All it showed was a bunch of badass rangers at night in what appears to be a sandstorm

What? How could you think it was? Looks like something out of Mad Max if anything. i'm surprised people are are so negative about the art style. All it showed was a bunch of badass rangers at night in what appears to be a sandstorm

I've said many times I'm only judging this piece and am not setting my feeling in stone on the final game.

I like it. Looks like a nice, realistic blend of cowboy and military. Last I checked the Modern Warfare games didn't have soldiers wearing cowboy hats and rodeo jackets, or have ninja looking soldier chicks.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just backed this and Stoic's Banner Saga!

We live in an amazing world. A world where we get to CHOSE which games get made :D Can't stop lovin' it.

subversus

Frankly speaking I'm tired of retro sci-fi in modern games. I get that you love retro sci-fi because it's sci-fi you grew up with. But I'd prefer if Wasteland was set in a "modern" post-apocalypsis world. It would be fresh.

Famassu

I'm kind of on the hater train for the MW feel they seem to be going for. You'd think with all his complaining about sameness and lack of creativity/vision at the big publishers Fargo would go with a direction that wouldn't be right at home in Dudebro.

But w/e still have confidence in the team and I guess since all the kids today like this shit it means more money for inxile which is probably good as long as the actual game is good.
The only thing even REMOTELY Call of Duty in that is the guy in the middle. Otherwise, we've got a cowboy, a long-haired woman in a (gas?)mask, a man with a spiked helmet and a Helghast. Not exactly posterboys & girls for Call of Duty.

Besides, it's not like Wasteland, Fallout etc. are pinnacles of style. If anything, their artstyles ARE somewhat boring (though, for a reason, much like movies like The Road and such).

subversus

what I find even more ridiculous is that everything realistic has become "dudebro" somehow.

1j5Fx.jpg

I mean I can understand how dumbed down gameplay can be labeled as pandering to dudebro audience. But artstyle? There is nothing more derivative than aping what was done in previous decades.

mavs

So a bunch of people wearing a ridiculous mix of cowboy gear and military hardware, standing in front of fire and heavy smoke at night, is somehow NOT the epitome of 80s post-apocalyptic style?

subversus

So a bunch of people wearing a ridiculous mix of cowboy gear and military hardware, standing in front of fire and heavy smoke at night, is somehow NOT the epitome of 80s post-apocalyptic style?

they don't look ridiculous, so no.

robin2

The cheesiness is absent but the style I agree is the same.

If you look at the big image on NMA, the details will show you that.

subversus

well, I was talking about cheesiness mostly. Yeah, they both don't look realistic but rangers pic definitely lack cheesines. And I'm happy about this because cheesiness is Fallout's territory.

Yes, exactly. The fuck does anyone get Modern Warfare out of this?

haha

Zeliard

That would actually vastly exceed my expectations in terms of visuals.

Yeah it would be tough to match Torment's inspired visuals, but I think they can manage to make it impressive.

There's this Czech RPG that is a nice-looking modern isometric game:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469264

Not sure what the budget was on it but I can't imagine it was too high; it's an indie game from a relatively unknown dev. Smaller team sizes can lower a budget substantially, particularly if they take salary cuts as Fargo was saying the inXile guys would. This is their team: http://www.inquisitor.cz/?page=team

Corto

I love that concept art. I'm not understanding the MW comparisons. They seem a rag tag team equipped with non-standardized equipment. Cowboy hats, and bike helmets with nails protruding are not what I imagine when I think of Modern Warfare. The first thing that I thought was Mad Max as someone already said. The muted tones in a desert setting are expected if they're going for a realistic look.

Toma

I love that concept art. I'm not understanding the MW comparisons. They seem a rag tag team equipped with non-standardized equipment. Cowboy hats, and bike helmets with nails protruding are not what I imagine when I think of Modern Warfare. The first thing that I thought was Mad Max as someone already said. The muted tones in a desert setting are expected if they're going for a realistic look.

Yep, like it too. Not too sure why its aggravating some people that much, especially when its only one part of the presented world.

There was no MW comparison.

07:18 PM
Same, don't want to be a downer but if I saw this and was told it was COD MW4 I would believe it.

Top Bottom