• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Vlodril

The video wasn't anything special, but it served its purpose. Though my eyes couldn't stop wondering off to all those boxes in the background. Descent and Baulders Gate.... Man, that's some PC nostalgia right there...

I kept looking at the startfleet academy box and thinking about the lack of a good star trek game the last few years. Its been more than 6-7 years since there has been one. I would love a good rpg one but i would take whatever at this point. Such a huge waste of the ip(sto was disappointing).

Fjordson

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

UPDATED.

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEgVIMS9pQ&feature=player_embedded

TSHIRT
https://inxile-wasteland.s3.amazonaws.com/wasteland-tee-small.jpg

wasteland-tee-small.jpg
God, I love Chris Avellone so much. Lots of confidence in this project.

Also upping my pledge (for the second time) for that t-shirt. Love it.

Victrix

*beard*
Do that many people really think that shirt looks good at all?

I can't even see myself wearing it at Comic-Con.

Video game tshirts get tossed in the trash unless they're so subtle no one but a complete fan of the game would know what I'm wearing, and everyone else just thinks 'cool custom T'

Do that many people really think that shirt looks good at all?

I can't even see myself wearing it at Comic-Con.

No one should be upping their pledge for just a T-shirt, therefore, it's an added bonus to those that have pledged enough already. (Of course, if you do, I'm not saying that you're a fool since you know that your money is going toward the game as well as getting you more than just a T-shirt on top.) Can't see any reason to complain, though I would've preferred a nicer design.

Zeliard

God, I love Chris Avellone so much. Lots of confidence in this project.

I just bought Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition, came in the mail today.

It's gonna be fun going through that sumbitch with various mods. I only ever played it vanilla - albeit I played it a shitload - and the Dead Money DLC. Haven't tried the others yet.

I wonder if they ever fixed it so that Boone isn't a laughably powerful monster of a dude in combat. I remember he used to be absolutely devastating.

Fjordson

I just bought Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition, came in the mail today.

It's gonna be fun going through that sumbitch with various mods. I only ever played it vanilla - albeit I played it a shitload - and the Dead Money DLC. Haven't tried the others yet.

I wonder if they ever fixed it so that Boone isn't a laughably powerful monster of a dude in combat. I remember he used to be absolutely devastating.
New Vegas is nothing short of magical. <3 it so much.

I only have it on 360, but last time I played Boone was still a monster lol. I'd be getting XP for mobs dying before I had even seen them because of Boone's sniping. I rolled with Arcade and ED-E, though, towards the end.

Yeah New Vegas is the real Fallout 3.

Funny how we got Ultima Underworld 3 (Arx Fatalis), System Shock 3 (Dead Space 1), Fallout 3 (New Vegas), Wizardry 9 (Wizards & Warriors) and Eye of the Beholder 4 (Legend of Grimrock) after so many years!

Still waiting for Might and Magic 10 (party based first-person RPG) and Ultima 10 (very heavy story based third person RPG).

Zeliard

New Vegas is nothing short of magical. <3 it so much.

I only have it on 360, but last time I played Boone was still a monster lol. I'd be getting XP for mobs dying before I had even seen them because of Boone's sniping. I rolled with Arcade and ED-E, though, towards the end.

I'm also gonna play it with Josh Sawyer's re-balancing mod. That should be quite interesting.

That vastly lowered carry weight limit (default 50!) alone should make Hardcore a lot more meaningful, plus stuff like stimpaks now having weight and H2O/FOD/SLP rates being doubled at the first interval. Experience rate is also halved, and initial player health is quartered. Hah. Josh Sawyer is nuts. And awesome.

Fjordson

J.E. Sawyer is also awesome. Would love to see him on here with Avellone as well, but he's probably busy with other stuff.

And yeah, that mod sounds intense. Quite a cool idea.

J.E. Sawyer is also awesome. Would love to see him on here with Avellone as well, but he's probably busy with other stuff.
With WL2 getting mod editing support, I think there's an excellent chance we'll see professional RPG developer campaigns and modules released before too long. Maybe as paid-for expansions or freely available. I really hope they nail this part as it will ensure loads of replayability.

Zeliard

The JE Sawyer mod feels like what Hardcore should have been all along. Makes it much more of an actual survivalist game. Originally you could end up basically hoarding a bunch of food/drink (which were all over the place, along with beds) and just remembering to take some every so often, and there wasn't really much to it at all even on Very Hard.

I'm quite curious about how difficulty will work in Wasteland 2, actually.

mclem

Yeah New Vegas is the real Fallout 3.

Funny how we got Ultima Underworld 3 (Arx Fatalis), System Shock 3 (Dead Space 1), Fallout 3 (New Vegas), Wizardry 9 (Wizards & Warriors) and Eye of the Beholder 4 (Legend of Grimrock) after so many years!

Dead Space is good an' all, but *no*. Heck, Bioshock is closer to System Shock than Dead Space is... and Bioshock is nothing like System Shock.

mclem

4 days? This won't breach 3 million. I think 2.6 like I posted ages ago. Here's hoping though.

I said ages ago: I'm expecting 300k on the last 24 hours. I'm very curious to see how far wrong I am!

(I also predicted 2.1M at the end, although to be fair that was before the Avellone thing.)

I predicted it would reach 1.5m, then limp to 1.8m. Needless to say, I've been really impressed by how Fargo - a guy who hasn't really been that active in the industry for about a decade - has managed to keep people interested and pledges incoming.

scy

Nonsense. The target audience wants this not because it's more Bethesda Fallout, but because it isn't.

There's probably some people who enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas enough to be tempted by the whole connection with Fallout, even if they're completely different games. Not sure if it's big enough to have really made a difference though. The good majority of the people who care are definitely as you say.

It's the elephant in the room but it should be noted that the Bethesda bringing back the Fallout franchise helped this project more then anything else.

Hmmm...I think I agree to some extent, though there are many things at work, pushing WL2 to succeed. For one, the significant difference from 1 & 2 to 3 created a longing among gamers, hardcore or not, for the defining elements of older school RPGs that got them into the older Fallout games in the first place. As well, the modern RPG, in general, and how it lacks an essence that made many fans of the genre to begin with, has been slowly building a demand for those experiences over the years. The direct initial target are the fans of WL1, who are in their thirties and forties, making money and, perhaps, very interested in supporting and playing followup to a favorite from their childhood. And, yes, it just so happens that the game is unofficially related to Fallout, so 3 and NV being recent and popular can also bring in fans of the theme and of the game style, with some, I'm sure, just interested in something new. Really, it's not all Bethsoft, but since they're the number one mass market singleplayer RPG producer, their success with F3 and NV doesn't hurt one bit.

It's the elephant in the room but it should be noted that the Bethesda bringing back the Fallout franchise helped this project more then anything else.

You're right, but not for the reasons you think. Bethesda's take on Fallout probably upset the hardcore so bad that they are flocking to this project in hopes that it will be closer to the RPG's of yore.

zkylon

zkylewd
Please. Even if it had even a hint of an influence (it didn't, except maybe for what Vyse's just said), then Bethesda's influence is lame as hell. 50k pledges out of 3+ million sales?

I suppose CDProjekt should be thanking Bethesda for their The Witcher 2 success too? You know, since both their games have dragons...

Corto

I agree. Bethesda Fallout success pushed Wasteland 2 away from the traditional publishers to the Kickstarter route that we are now.

I agree. Bethesda Fallout success pushed Wasteland 2 away from the traditional publishers to the Kickstarter route that we are now.
While that's not what I'd call help, there's probably some truth to this. Fargo even quipped about the first person thing in his pitch.

I suppose CDProjekt should be thanking Bethesda for their The Witcher 2 success too? You know, since both games have dragons...

He still thinks the art style of Wasteland 2 is designed to "piggy back" off Fallout's brand awareness. I think he has a hardon for Bethesda and is trying to establish some sort of pecking order here. "Just so you know guys, Bethesda is the real reason for the success of this Call of Duty lookalike! Don't you forget it!" Honestly I haven't seen him do anything but troll the game and shill for Beth in this thread.

It's just about to hit $2.4 million, not including Paypal. Looks like the rate is climbing fast on hourly and daily totals according to the graph. I think three-million would have been a lock if they had only given out a new goal for the milestone, but it'll be closer to that by the looks of things now.

mclem

It's just about to hit $2.4 million, not including Paypal. Looks like the rate is climbing fast on hourly and daily totals according to the graph. I think three-million would have been a lock if they had only given out a new goal for the milestone, but it'll be closer to that by the looks of things now.

Entertainingly (well, for me), it's hit it exactly:

XK56u.png

I suspect the most recent bidder might have juggled the numbers to get something aesthetically pleasing!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Final stretch! 3 days for 530k!

Top Bottom